Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Default Bernard Tomic's M3 at Auction at Pickles

Looks like he is getting rid of his M3 http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/item/...upe/1452060473

Must be his by the number plates

Old 04-02-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: Bernard Tomic's M3 at Auction at Pickles

Daddy must be selling it before the police confiscate it.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

anyone know why use the Auctions to sell, after a very quick sale possibly and prepared to take the hit on a decent loss?

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 04-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Interesting how the pictures are out the front of his house and not at Pickles.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Why does it say No registration??
Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 AM   #6
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I figure that his sponsor/endorsement packages are more important than tooling around in a very conspicuous car.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #7
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Never buy a performance car from a P plater.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought that was the whole point of the nanny state rules we have in place...
Old 04-02-2012, 01:44 AM   #9
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Why does it say No registration??
Cars I've bought from auction have been unregistered.
I 'spose it saves the auction getting involved in roadworthy certs.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #10
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought maybe he had to hand back his plates!
Old 04-02-2012, 02:07 AM   #11
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still dont understand why he was given preferential treatment to drive this, even if it was just to and from tennis.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #12
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Im not going to get into the argument about Tomic allowed to drive a car like this on his P's because anyone one of us would loved to have a car like this at 19. Im just going to say, damn it is one sexy car, I always have a soft spot for bmws, and my dream car is a m3. Straight 6 it has to be though!
Old 04-02-2012, 02:33 AM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Pickles luxury auctions would have went out and done the eval on it at his house, thats where the pics would come from.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
Hally

What confuses me with this is that I thought the whole argument about Tomic being given an exemption to drive this car to tennis training etc was because the car was provided by BMW in a sponsorship arrangement?

If not the case, and he was the owner of the car, then he should not of gotten the exemption, as the car was purchased by choice. I think Tomic may have told some porkies and is slowly extracting himself from this, starting by getting rid if the flashy car.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #15
Angeldust

if tomic ever gets real good at tennis, this car may be worth good $$ in the future

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #16
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

might go cheap! Awesome buy if so!!

And who cares if its a p plater driving, these things are floored around the nurburgring for fun by local germans and fly down autobahns at top speed and dont break, as if a p plater revving it out a bit and maybe sitting on 120 in a 100 zone is going to hurt it!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #17
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe the lease is up with BMW. BMW have ordered the car to go through auction and sold. Could have been a 6 month thing.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Selling cheap BMW M3 - Driven to restauants in Brisbane and Sunshine Coast, selling due to "police harassment", quick sale!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tomic puts trouble magnet car up for sale
Robyn Wuth | February 4th, 2012

The infamous Tomic 'dream car' is up for sale.

Related Links

Pictures: Bernard Tomic booked by police

THE bright orange supercar that cemented Gold Coaster Bernard Tomic's reputation as the bad boy of Australian tennis, is up for sale.

The distinctive V8 BMW M3 has been nothing but trouble for the teen tennis ace after a summer of headlines about his driving habits, rather than his tennis achievements.

The high-performance European coupe is regarded as one of the best sports sedans in the world and costs more than $150,000.

Tomic said it was a difficult decision to sell his `dream car'.

Have your say on the feedback form below

"I wish to move forward from this and use it as part of my learning experience, so I've decided to sell my BMW," Tomic said yesterday.

"I'll put my dream car on hold for a while and in the next few years I'll look again and hopefully I will be able to find a similar car.

"I hope the next owner will enjoy it as much as I have.

"I now want to focus on my tennis without any distractions."

Police insist the teenager should never have been allowed to drive the V8 supercar, which can go from 0-100km/h in 4.6 seconds.

The P-plater was granted an exemption by Queensland Transport to drive the luxury vehicle to and from training but was allegedly caught by police cruising the city's streets.

Tomic was pulled over by police and fined twice in less than two hours on Australia Day -- charges that would see him stripped of his licence.

The decision to sell the luxury car will not spare the teenager from an appearance in court on Valentine's Day.

Earlier this week, police served the 19-year-old with a notice to appear after a bizarre public stand-off in which Tomic allegedly refused to stop for police and barricaded himself in his parents' home last week.

Police seized footage from Channel 9 Gold Coast before issuing the charges at the Southport offices of high-profile criminal lawyer, Chris Nyst.

The tennis star fronted the media as his lawyer called the charges `little more than a storm in a tea cup'.

Tomic denied the strain of the past week had had any effect on his training and is set to head Australia's Davis Cup tie in Geelong.

The only comment Tomic made about his car was that `maybe a different colour' might have been a good idea.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Why doesn't he get a 3 series coupe instead, like the 330D? Those things still haul-*** and look great.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #21
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Many sports sponsorships involve the sponsors giving their product to the athlete for a set agreed period, then the athlete is free to sell and keep the money they get as salary/payment. I used to do it with waterski gear, back in the day. Nothing unusual. Can be a tax dodge for both parties as well.
When you think of it, this has been quite cheap publicity for BMW.
They have probably already given him something else.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #22
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its served its purpose in getting BMW some press.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #23
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
I think its served its purpose in getting BMW some press.
Not the kind of press BMW want.
Most likely he was told by BMW to sell the car - that is if he still wanted their sponsorship.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #24
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe, just maybe... if Tomic had stuck to the law and driven his car within his exemption rules, he coulda kept it.

This just proves his inability to follow the most basic instructions.

oh wait... he is 19... a sports star who deserves a break...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 04-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #25
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Police insist the teenager should never have been allowed to drive the V8 supercar, which can go from 0-100km/h in 4.6 seconds.

The P-plater was granted an exemption by Queensland Transport to drive the luxury vehicle to and from training but was allegedly caught by police cruising the city's streets.

i thought police only enforce the law.

here they say he should have never been given the exemption.

it's not up to them to say that correct?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #26
krzysiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s

i thought police only enforce the law.

here they say he should have never been given the exemption.

it's not up to them to say that correct?
No it is not up to the Police to make the law, but to enforce it. You are right. But it doesn't take a Police offer to conclude that he should have never been given the car after having witnessed him being unable to follow the rules.

If he had an exemption for to and from work and followed it, there would be no issue. He was incapable of following the rules given to him, so I think it is a fair call to say now (in hindsight) that he should never have been given it. I think that is the way the Police are approaching it, in this case.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #27
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great lets insult another star with our stupid NANY mentality ... I'm so sure he will continue to train in Australia when he makes it to the top, i'm so sure he will not move to some tax heaven like most do, i'm so sure the Australian government is doing the best they can to keep him here ... seriously if i was him I would move to a country which would be happy for me to represent them and allow me to bloody drive any car i want ...

It really just amaises me how stupid some people are, trying to make a point with a celebrity ... sometimes I feel like the Australian police have nothing better to do with their time than go after some P plater ... maybe they should go and solve a REAL CRIME ...

End Rant ...
Old 04-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #28
ACEz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
Great lets insult another star with our stupid NANY mentality ... I'm so sure he will continue to train in Australia when he makes it to the top, i'm so sure he will not move to some tax heaven like most do, i'm so sure the Australian government is doing the best they can to keep him here ... seriously if i was him I would move to a country which would be happy for me to represent them and allow me to bloody drive any car i want ...

It really just amaises me how stupid some people are, trying to make a point with a celebrity ... sometimes I feel like the Australian police have nothing better to do with their time than go after some P plater ... maybe they should go and solve a REAL CRIME ...

End Rant ...
So your saying because he plays tennis and I don't he should be allowed to drive an M3 on P plates, When I'm limited to driving a vehichle that is under 125KW per tonne ?
Old 04-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #29
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

why is this news - someone is selling his car, so what
when i put my car up for auction, i don't get a thread for it - must be because i am not famous

obviously the poppies need trimming down to size
Old 04-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #30
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would not mind betting he is selling up and getting the hell out of this stupid country.
I mean...well driving a v8 supercar....he should have killed thousands of babies and innocent motorists!!!

As for those who think he got a special expemption because he is a sports star - get off yoru soap box. There have been hundreds of exemptions handed out since the rules began. No special treatment for Tommy
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Closed Thread