Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #31
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Default Re: Bernard Tomic's M3 at Auction at Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
I would not mind betting he is selling up and getting the hell out of this stupid country.
I mean...well driving a v8 supercar....he should have killed thousands of babies and innocent motorists!!!

As for those who think he got a special expemption because he is a sports star - get off yoru soap box. There have been hundreds of exemptions handed out since the rules began. No special treatment for Tommy
some will never get it
Old 04-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #32
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really hate the pedestal we put sports stars on in this country.

He broke the rules of the exemption, yet people think we should give him special treatment because he is famous? He has shown utter contempt to the guidelines - that's fine if that's his perogative, but he should be treated like anyone else who does the same.

My eldest son needs to abide by the rules, why cant a tennis star?
Old 04-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #33
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

LOL @ everyone in the other thread saying it's ok because BMW gave it to him

and LOL @ everyone in this thread getting their undies in a knot because other people are expressing an opinion about a celebrity.

FYI, I'm not a fan if this guy at all.

Oo\===/oO
Old 04-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #34
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
maybe that is why he is selling it, because it is difficult to keep to the rules of the exemption. even some of our self righteous members have broken the rules at some stage

Quote:
I really hate the pedestal we put sports stars on in this country
would this thread have happened if it was an anonymous kid selling his car after breaking some rules - the pedestal is encouraged by those who claim to dislike it
Old 04-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #35
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I really hate the pedestal we put sports stars on in this country.

He broke the rules of the exemption, yet people think we should give him special treatment because he is famous? He has shown utter contempt to the guidelines - that's fine if that's his perogative, but he should be treated like anyone else who does the same.

No pedestal, but what this highlights is the constant harrassment allow to be directed at young motorists. The rules suck. The police harrassment sucks. The do-gooders thinking this will save lives suck.
Yes, he will be treated just like every other P-plate "criminal". Made to feel like he has just raped someone, just because he is young and lacks some maturity. Its no wonder they grow up hating everyone...
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 04-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #36
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Some users get too worked up over Bernard tomic. Get over him!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #37
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
maybe that is why he is selling it, because it is difficult to keep to the rules of the exemption. even some of our self righteous members have broken the rules at some stage

would this thread have happened if it was an anonymous kid selling his car after breaking some rules - the pedestal is encouraged by those who claim to dislike it
I think the issue is being somewhat confused.

There are two issues really. One, the laws themselves which a lot of people disagree with (including me). Two, the disregard of the laws this person has been accused of.

Even if we dont agree with the laws. Flouting them doesnt make him right. Two wrongs dont make a right...well maybe.

And you're right about people on here doing wrong, seriously the stuff I did at his age on the road makes him look like Mother Therasa.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #38
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEz
So your saying because he plays tennis and I don't he should be allowed to drive an M3 on P plates, When I'm limited to driving a vehichle that is under 125KW per tonne ?
For the same reason that anyone in WA can drive an M3 on a P plate.

Tomic would have enough money now to buy a house in Perth, set it up his his principal place of residence, change his license to WA and register the car in WA He would then no longer be restricted from driving an M3 anywhere in QLD.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #39
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
Great lets insult another star with our stupid NANY mentality ... I'm so sure he will continue to train in Australia when he makes it to the top, i'm so sure he will not move to some tax heaven like most do, i'm so sure the Australian government is doing the best they can to keep him here ... seriously if i was him I would move to a country which would be happy for me to represent them and allow me to bloody drive any car i want ...

It really just amaises me how stupid some people are, trying to make a point with a celebrity ... sometimes I feel like the Australian police have nothing better to do with their time than go after some P plater ... maybe they should go and solve a REAL CRIME ...

End Rant ...
Hahaha. He hits a tennis ball over a net for a living. Wow, how extrodinary. Let's make him president and supreme ruler of the world.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #40
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
I still dont understand why he was given preferential treatment to drive this, even if it was just to and from tennis.

I'm pretty sure here in QLD you can get a permit or Whatever to drive a v8 or turbo if if it is the only transport you can drive?I have seen this done before, a mates younger brother can drive his parents GT because it is the only car he can use.
Is/was it definately in Tomic's name or his old mans or something like that??
Old 04-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #41
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Hahaha. He hits a tennis ball over a net for a living. Wow, how extrodinary. Let's make him president and supreme ruler of the world.
If he makes it to the top he will earn more than all of the users on here put together, and pay more tax than all the users here put together. Think about that for a second. He alone will be able to pay for all of your health costs, the police hiding behind trees instead of solving crime, and your kids education.

Or perhaps you prefer to harass talent and tall poppies until they leave, because that is what they do.
Here in Tasmania there is a massive exodus underway. Anyone with talent, anybody who is young and intelligent, anyone who runs a business. The are all leaving this sinking ship. You would fit right in down here. I am very tempted to leave with my family and take my medical skills somewhere else, because I hate people that resent success
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 04-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #42
gtxb67

Quote:
Even if we dont agree with the laws. Flouting them doesnt make him right. Two wrongs dont make a right...well maybe.
i am not confused - i have always claimed if he broke the rules, he should be punished. it seems to me that most of the knockers are confusing the 2 issues time and time and time and time and time and time and time again
Old 04-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #43
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i am not confused - i have always claimed if he broke the rules, he should be punished. it seems to me that most of the knockers are confusing the 2 issues time and time and time and time and time and time and time again
Not necesarily. Just because it is a law does not make it right, nor should it always be followed. Passive resistance has always been a form of protest. I believe his approach could be called passive resitance - he refused to obey a command by a police officer. In a fascist society we would make an example of him, beat him, torture him, imprison his family, and ensure that no-one was emboldened to possibly question the authority of the law and the government. Some here like that idea.
Me? I would propose a law that "no-one is allowed to break the law" That way we could really lay down the law! (Please note: that was heavy with sarcasm)

But yes, I agree that there are two issues at hand here.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 04-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #44
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
I'm sorry mate, do you have a vested interest in sticking up for this guy?

Oo\===/oO
Old 04-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #45
xr8lover

once a tool always a tool!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #46
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Yeh in order to be President and supreme ruler of the world you have a be an actor like Ronald Reagan or maybe a Peanut Farmer like Jimmy Carter or Journalist like Kennedy or even a postman like Lincoln.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #47
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Maybe the lease is up with BMW. BMW have ordered the car to go through auction and sold. Could have been a 6 month thing.
Sounds right...most of those sports sponsorship things are a lease and they'd want it back before it has too many kilometers on the clock and is still worth a good price.

Some of his comments though sound like "My lawyer has told me to wake up to myself, that i'm as guilty as a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar, and now I'm making ammends by sounding contrite and sorry for what i've done"...
Old 04-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #48
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
I'm sorry mate, do you have a vested interest in sticking up for this guy?
where have i stuck up for him
i have just not complained about the fact he has an exemption - maybe i have better things to do with my life
i have always said (over 3 threads now, but it seems no one reads before they post), that if he broke the law, he deserves to be punished

just like many others, he is allowed by law to have it . . . . not that hard to see

maybe i can think for myself, maybe i don't have a problem with people who are more successful than me, maybe i don't choose to follow the mob to get little awards next to my name
Old 04-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #49
Corzza

Could go for a bargain!

Race 2 Clipsal 500 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZvWBp4Eo

"I plucked her into first, gave it some jandal and F@#$ Yeah!" - Scott McLaughlin
Old 04-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #50
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
where have i stuck up for him
i have just not complained about the fact he has an exemption - maybe i have better things to do with my life
i have always said (over 3 threads now, but it seems no one reads before they post), that if he broke the law, he deserves to be punished

just like many others, he is allowed by law to have it . . . . not that hard to see

maybe i can think for myself, maybe i don't have a problem with people who are more successful than me, maybe i don't choose to follow the mob to get little awards next to my name
So he's been fined by the police and will be going to court next week, but in your eyes he hasn't broken the law?

Good on ya.

Oo\===/oO
Old 04-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #51
gtxb67

Quote:
So he's been fined by the police and will be going to court next week, but in your eyes he hasn't broken the law?

Good on ya.
i don't know that he has been fined by the police and going to court, but if he is guilty then he deserves the punishment - what part of my post did you not read or understand
Old 04-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #52
ray38l

Quote:

Good on ya.
So just because he has a court date and a fine means he broke the law? Good on ya.
I always thought the courts were there to decide that not members on car forums who dont know the whole story
Old 04-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #53
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Oo\===/oO
Old 04-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #54
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Wow...all this uproar over a car being auctioned...

I won't be bidding on it...Colour clashes with my shirt!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #55
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

Good on ya.
Actually Peuty - at the moment all that has happened is that he has been given a ticket by police for allegedly breaking the law. He is not guilty until he pays the fine, or he goes to court and loses his case in trying to beat or reduce the fines. I know it's just the order of process, but until as he is contesting the fines, he is not yet actually guilty.......

Anyway, nice car. Personally, I don't think he should have got an exemption, but then I don't think any P plater should get an exemption - there are plenty of cars out there on the market, so no-one really "needs" to drive a car outside the P plate legal list, unless it is a necessary part of their job/profession.

And even if he drops $100k on the sale at auction, what's that - about 2 sets of tennis at a major for him????
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #56
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Not the kind of press BMW want.
Most likely he was told by BMW to sell the car - that is if he still wanted their sponsorship.
Any press is good press. All I've heard over the past few weeks is BMW hi performance car, BMW Supercar, BMW V8 Supercar, BMW hi performance car. Sounds like good publicity to me...
Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #57
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All traffic offences should be taken extremely seriously. In Tomic's case, I believe by violating his P Plate restrictions he has given up his rights as a human being, and because of this he should be sentenced to life in prison.

Every "K" over is a killer.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #58
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Actually Peuty - at the moment all that has happened is that he has been given a ticket by police for allegedly breaking the law. He is not guilty until he pays the fine, or he goes to court and loses his case in trying to beat or reduce the fines. I know it's just the order of process, but until as he is contesting the fines, he is not yet actually guilty.......
Not to mention failing to stop for police... which everyone seems to forget.
Being ticketed twice in a row and then running away from the police and locking yourself up inside your home when Police tried to pull him over a 3rd time... sorry are these the actions of someone normal?
Or who thinks because he is rich and has money daddy will protect him with expensive lawyers?

A ticket given by police MEANS YOU ARE GUILTY OF A OFFENCE as you were CAUGHT IN THE ACT and you can CONTEST it in court if you want. There is NO presumption of innocence when getting a ticket.

A ticket MEANS YOU WERE CAUGHT BREAKING THE LAW.

Presumption of innocence deals with criminal law... not traffic offences.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #59
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Croatians must be rubbing their hands together, come play for the land of your blood.
Would be funny if he did.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #60
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
The Croatians must be rubbing their hands together, come play for the land of your blood.
Would be funny if he did.
if he did that, he would have to stop being friends with novak
Closed Thread