Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #61
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Don't stress guys, these silly prices will soon be history. 1986, GTHOs were $60k, 1988, $15-20k.
November may start the beginning of a repeat performance.
don't know where you got that from but you are off target

I bought a concorse condition Phase 1 late 1985 for $9,500, a couple of years latter they had already moved upwards considerably.
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #62
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Must dissagree, won't happen IMO.
See I dont know about that. There has to be a point where it wont get any higher, or buyers just wont pay a certain price.

Lets just say fuel hits $3/L, will the demand still be there?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 10:35 PM   #63
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc
don't know where you got that from but you are off target

I bought a concorse condition Phase 1 late 1985 for $9,500, a couple of years latter they had already moved upwards considerably.
From a guy who dealt in expensive cars. He also had (still has) a ferrari that he was offered $1,000,000 in July 1987. He was greedy. The best he has been offered since is $385k.
I looked at a turbo porsche in feb 1985 for 111k (I couldn't afford it), in early 1987 it was worth $400k as they were prohibited import due to ULP.

Then came black monday......

I am fairly sure that quite a number of muscle cars are on the never never as investments. If interest rates go nuts again then they will be everywhere really cheap.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 11:26 PM   #64
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
From a guy who dealt in expensive cars. He also had (still has) a ferrari that he was offered $1,000,000 in July 1987. He was greedy. The best he has been offered since is $385k.
I looked at a turbo porsche in feb 1985 for 111k (I couldn't afford it), in early 1987 it was worth $400k as they were prohibited import due to ULP.

I am fairly sure that quite a number of muscle cars are on the never never as investments. If interest rates go nuts again then they will be everywhere really cheap.

well it just shows old Ferrari's haven't performed as well as GTHO's over the years.

as for the current prices I'd be surprised if the balloon doesn't pop soon, to me they are way, way overpriced.

you are right about rates, theres a lot of people who haven't experianced how savage they can be
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 11:37 PM   #65
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Lets just say fuel hits $3/L, will the demand still be there?
Yes for two reasons. The cars are not driven that much and if you can afford those prices $3/L is not going to upset you too much.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 01:05 AM   #66
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

I don't see the price of these cars increasing beyond the point what this guy paid for his. For the amount of money he paid you can get much much better investments.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #67
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
I don't see the price of these cars increasing beyond the point what this guy paid for his. For the amount of money he paid you can get much much better investments.
what if the guy just wants to own one, and isnt concerned about its potential as an investment?
Old 28-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #68
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
what if the guy just wants to own one, and isnt concerned about its potential as an investment?
Exactly, just like the miner who bought the last monaro, and he is not even going to drive the thing..
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #69
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
i have little problem believing that........ all i gotta do is remember to ask him if i can have a peek next time i see him lol
He was in our local paper today standing beside the GTHO telling everybody it is an investment and that he is predicting it will be worth $1 million soon.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
Old 28-03-2007, 09:47 PM   #70
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
Exactly, just like the miner who bought the last monaro, and he is not even going to drive the thing..
the guy who bought the last monaro isnt a miner...... he's been dabbling in real estate for donkeys years, owns a fair stack of land, does house removals (literally transporting houses) as a business, and collects cars......

he also bought the GTHO this thread is about
Old 28-03-2007, 09:49 PM   #71
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
if its true about who bought it....... i dont think the income from $685k of rental properties is going to be of much interest to him.....
Not at all directed at the new owner. More the people who keep asking why you would pay so much money for a car you don't drive.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 09:57 PM   #72
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What's black monday? Don't worry I figured it out. Stock market crash.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 10:10 PM   #73
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well there gose any chance of me owning one of them bad boys.........Thats an awsome car

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 10:42 PM   #74
Aeron
DJR Fan

They guy next door has an Original GTHO Phase III. He drives it about every 5 or 6 months and its locked behind a partition wall in his garage. When the garage door is open you can see a wall on the left hand side (just like in most garages) but behind the wall is his Phase III. He took me for a run in it one night. Great cruiser, and did a nice long power-skid too

I’ll have to see if he’ll let me photograph it one day.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 10:56 PM   #75
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[Quote] Highway robbery? This Ford GTHO Phase 3 was auctioned yesterday for $683,650 at Bonhams and Goodman in Sydney. The sale came as motoring bodies warned too many car buyers focused on colour and model, rather than quality. [Unquote]

I aske you, why is this highway robbery? They bid on it and could pull out at any time. obviously it is a sort after car. Some one wanted more than the next bloke derr. Oh and all you car buyers out there "STOP FOCUSING ON THE COLOR!"
Its blurring your judgment and making you buy a crap car.

What a load of rubbish I mean really, some bugger gets paid to write that dribble.

I think the person from the "motoring body" and probably the person who wrote the crap drive a holden and there for are very jelous that they don't have such an iconic celebrety car to fetch such enormous amounts of cash or to store in there pitifull car sheds, what ever

Sorry got carried away again.
chow
Old 28-03-2007, 11:09 PM   #76
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT
Hmmm

Porsche 993 Twin Turbo
and a Porsche GT3
and and BF GT

Or a Phase III.

No contest. Sorry have owned an XW and XY GT, and couldnt see that value at 20% of that price.

Each to their own
I agree 110%. Yes they may be the last of the true Australian performance cars but at the end of the day a Phase III is just an over valued 36yo Falcon. Bring on a Series 1 996 GT3 or 993 Turbo :
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 11:17 PM   #77
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
In the newspaper they had some quotes from the guy and he kept refer to it as an investment
Old 28-03-2007, 11:31 PM   #78
XAGSV8
Member 178

Don't know if it is just me but I have seen it a few times now, I get sick of people on a FORD forum saying its just a falcon or a tarted up taxi. I'm not just talking about this thread or XY's as well.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
Old 28-03-2007, 11:46 PM   #79
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
In the newspaper they had some quotes from the guy and he kept refer to it as an investment
darryl isnt stupid, he wouldnt have bought it if it were to be a dead loss or of no investment potential, but he's a car nut first and foremost
Old 28-03-2007, 11:53 PM   #80
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAGSV8
Don't know if it is just me but I have seen it a few times now, I get sick of people on a FORD forum saying its just a falcon or a tarted up taxi. I'm not just talking about this thread or XY's as well.
Usually by people who have not been in one and have little or no understanding of the history involved.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 12:02 AM   #81
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
darryl isnt stupid, he wouldnt have bought it if it were to be a dead loss or of no investment potential, but he's a car nut first and foremost
Everyone gets it wrong at some point
Old 29-03-2007, 12:45 AM   #82
BZINGA