Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
nb_351
building the xe...

Default mazda 3... great car

i know i might get shot for this, but i believe they are the best small car ever made... and theyre big for a small car... how many people on here think this? or if you have had an experience with one, what was it like?
my girlfriend bought one about three weeks ago... and i tell you, its more enjoyable than my ghia to drive cause its a manual... and is just so smooth and quiet... and so refined... needs a 6 speed though... hehe, and a turbo... or a 6... even better...

nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Drove a SP23, was alright, they look good. Heaps getting around, must be hurting Astra and Focus sales...
Old 10-04-2006, 09:43 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

I think they look awesome. I have never actually been in one, but from the outside, the build quality looks fairly good as well. Thumbs up to Mazda for pulling there proverbial finger out.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:47 PM   #4
Steffo
LPG > You

They've very, very, very nice cars.

For that size though, I'd probably (no - definitley) rather buy a MkV Golf.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

We have a Mazda3 Maxx Sport 5sp manual, its a great car and we've had absolutely nothing go wrong with it. A little harsh on some road surfaces and the interior lighting is a bit too funky for me but that's all I can fault with it.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:52 PM   #6
nb_351
building the xe...

yeah theyre nice cars aswell... bit more expensive to maintain... but theyre smaller, i know cause i work on them... they are very nice cars though... the mazda should be in the same market... wait for the mps to compete with the gti golf though... should run all over it i think... with the 2.3 turbo 4 from the mazda 6, just fwd though, not all paw... sadly.. could be a sierra cosworth type car... and a rally champ i think... but yes they are an excellent looking car, and ive never looked twice at mazdas before... theyve done well... would love an mps eventually...
Old 10-04-2006, 09:53 PM   #7
nb_351
building the xe...

oh yeah, love the interior... especially the lights... and the stereo fro a 25odd grand stock car is pretty decent...
Old 10-04-2006, 09:58 PM   #8
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

I want the upcoming Mazda 3 MPS, slightly detuned version of the 6 MPS' engine in the smaller body, torque steering fun, here we come.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:58 PM   #9
ZH_302
DJR 17

Bought one for the wife 2 years ago now. Very impressed with it. It's pretty quick, handles like it's on rails, looks great and had no problems with it.
Only complaint I have is cabin noise, not as bad as some of the magazines have said but on coarse bitumen it can get pretty loud.

Overall I'd agree with you - best small car ever made except perhaps the new VW Golf (but that costs a fair bit more)
ZH_302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 10:05 PM   #10
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife has had an SP23 sedan for 12 months now and done 18,000km. It's a good car but a little harsh in the ride and makes a lot of road noise. Also lets you know it's a front driver under fast acceleration and rear vision is poor. Probably the hatch has better vision.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 10:15 PM   #11
bjr22n_
XR5TBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO83
We have a Mazda3 Maxx Sport 5sp manual, its a great car and we've had absolutely nothing go wrong with it. A little harsh on some road surfaces and the interior lighting is a bit too funky for me but that's all I can fault with it.
my mum and dad has one in blue.

i love driving it, such fun.

how deep is the glove box? it goes forever.

and roomy, very very nice smooth car. easy to drive, tho i have noticed the dash is all red. i would of like to see another colour like a blue on the tahco or something, just to break up the red abit, but other then that. UNREAL

DJR Team mate #14
bjr22n_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 12:18 AM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

My family friend bought one, two work collegues have one, and a friend from uni has one also. ALL of them are Mazda3 Maxx Sports

I was about to purchase one before I got the Fiesta Zetec (which I have sold).

I'll tell you that they are VERY nice cars. Reliable, easy to drive, look nice (in sedan... ratio is 2sedans per hatch sold!), and have great features for what you pay. However, in saying that I would love the seats to be of a higher standard. Would love an SP23... but then power gains are minimal. The MPS is just going to be out of this world. Direct competitor with the XR5T....

However, In saying the Maxx Sport is a good car, I would rather purchase a Focus Zetec; bigger wheels, handles better, more power, nicer looks (In my opinion) and you can probably get a better deal. Not to mention the servicing would also be cheaper!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 08:38 AM   #13
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

My wife gave up the XR6T for a Mazda 3 (poor misguided thing, she is) And loves it!
The few times I've ever been allowed to drive it, it appeared ok.. But a little noisy (road noise) Do like the sexy orange dash lights, and they are suprisingly "zippy" for a 2 litre.
Value wise AND resale, they are fantastic! I think I paid 24, 25k O/R, and 18 months later they're still pulling 18, 19k s/hand.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 08:42 AM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Here's some useless information ... the Mazda 3 is 30mm shorter than the Mazda 6 ... not much in size difference.

Also the Mazda 6 needs PULP whereas the Mazda 3 doesn't (hence the 3-odd ke power drop for the Mazda 3 SP23)
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 09:04 AM   #15
kcbworth

personally prefer the focus than the mazda 3. don't like the look of the mazda 3 that much, and when i parked my focus next to a 3 the other day it was pretty obvious the the focus looked better. there's a heap of them going round tho hey :s
kcbworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 09:07 AM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

would love to have an SP23 Hatch, very tempted to buy one but the price was just a little more than i was willing to pay at the time. next time around though....
Old 11-04-2006, 09:13 AM   #17
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Isn't the Mazda 3 a Focus-based car, in the same way a Ford Laser was based on the Mazda 323?
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #18
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
Isn't the Mazda 3 a Focus-based car, in the same way a Ford Laser was based on the Mazda 323?
If anything the Focus is a Mazda based car as Mazda had a little more to do than Ford and Volvo in the development of the C1 platform.

Obviously something is lacking on behalf of the Focus, whether its a design issue or a pricing issue it seems that the car is moderately unpopular even in the current small car boom. If it wasn't for the Focus, Ford would have been right on Holden's toes if not surpassing them in sales.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 11:46 AM   #19
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mazda 3 SP23's are definately the pick of the small/medium car market, closely followed by the new Focus IMO (obviously due to platform development etc).

The new Mazda 3 MPS looks like it will s**t all over the Focus XR5 though :( Time will tell. Both great cars and I'm doing all I can to resist buying an XR5 or MPS over a Falcon next time round...
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 11:47 AM   #20
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Dad has a 3 maxx sport. Awesome car to drive. Very quick. Handles well. LOTS of room. The boot is massive! 6 stack is good and the speakers are pretty damn good for stockers.

I drive dads car all the time keeping the kms up as its a lease car. I love driving it. Comfy, easy to drive, cruises nicely. I cant really fault the car. Its just very simple and good to drive.

Mazda have built a good car. And every one knows it too. They are constantly sold out and dont advertise them on tv as there are none and everyone has to wait.

The old man was given a 6 for the day when his was in for its service and he reckons they dont drive as nice and arent as good as the 3. Although hes a little bias, thats a pretty good acheivement for a lower model car.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 12:06 PM   #21
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Great looking little toy thats for sure....
I have loved the Mazda 6 since it came out, have come close getting the new 6Turbo but sticking to the Blue Oval due to size.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #22
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

They are nice runabout cars. I was a little disappointed with the power. I realise its not a horsepower oriented vehicle but was struggling to accelerate to 100 going up a reasonable incline... maybe just because it was auto??

Very nice styling, nice interior etc.

Needs a rotary engine
Old 11-04-2006, 12:25 PM   #23
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got an 02 Astina. I'm reasonably happy with it. It goes very well for a 1.8 4cyl. The build quality is good but it lacks in these areas:

1) paint is thin and chips easily
2) road noise
3) frontend issues

Expanding on 3 it suffers the same fate my EL does. Wears the insides of the tyres before the outer. I'm pretty sure Ford owns Mazda. I find it funny they suffer the same issue.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #24
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I think the 3 is an impressive vehicle, but it aint cheap. Dealers do not bargain on these much due to demand.

Ive driven the 2 however and the older 2001 Ford Laser (323) and i think they were both impressive cars, good chasis, fine handling and good quality interiors.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 03:25 PM   #25
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you'll find the 3 is substantially improved on the 323 that it replaced. Not just in go, but quality, handling, ride and all other areas that matter
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 03:36 PM   #26
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

I’ve got a friend with a sequential shift MP23 who keeps on insisting on a drag for pink slips with my Integra.

The magazines say that I will still beat it in 0-60 and 400m but I think that his 2.3 litre will kill my 1.8 litre for in-gear times.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 04:30 PM   #27
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a big fan of the SP23, but the MPS will be in another league altogether, 187 kW / 380 nm torque in that size car will be awesome.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 04:38 PM   #28
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I tried to talk my sister into a Focus when she was looking at the Mazda 3, after she bought the 3 i could see why, it's a great little car.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 04:43 PM   #29
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

yeah every car off that platform is great. But the road noise is a shocker, espically coarse roads.

Mada is riding a huge wave at the moment!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 04:53 PM   #30
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Mazda have really turned around in the past 5 or so years. Their styling and dynamics have leapt forward. I'm not a big fan of the hatch styling of the 3 though, the C-pillar is far too big.

I drove my aunty's 2003 323 though and the handling really turned me off. It felt really nervous to me but I guess that's in comparison to my then daily driver Falcon. I'm trying to convince my girlfriend's dad to buy a 6 MPS over a Honda Accord V6 too.