Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-06-2017, 12:56 AM   #1
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Angry I'm ****ing fed up with computers these days!

Computers in my opinion peaked in the early part of last decade. Using my PC with Windows XP for surfing the net and playing games was a breeze in those days. Software packages worked independent of each other and it was all good that way.

These days every bloody piece of software wants to link with another and share this, that and any other bloody things. Why do I need to be logged on to an internet browser? Why when I attempt to write something on an unrelated website it asks me if I want to share on my facebook page? No I don't want OneNote to open - fark off. No I don't want to be tagged in a photo - how do you know it is me? No I don't want to have my personal files uploaded to a cloud (they probably are anyway without my consent) - remember if you don't hold it you don't own it. No I don't want to play a game linked to the Steam community. Why is it try to download the game from the internet when I already have a purchased copy on DVD? Why do I need to create an account to every bloody thing these days? Why does my 4 year old laptop work so poorly - what is all that **** that runs in the background for? Why do MicroStuffed change everything when they release a new operating system so you can't find anything? I don't want videos automatically starting in pages which cause them to hang if the last 2% isn't download. Flash players that keep crashing.

/end of rant.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2017, 01:42 AM   #2
wackyv8
wackyv8

Default Re: I'm ****ing fed up with computers these days!

obviously you didnt open the (insert computer data company )email titled - assimilate .....
wackyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2017, 03:39 AM   #3
marty351
Shenanigans..............

The Borg have won.

Resistance is futile.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #4
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

How fed up Rodney?

Ed
Old 06-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hear you!
****s me to tears...
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #6
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Computers in my opinion peaked in the early part of last decade. Using my PC with Windows XP for surfing the net and playing games was a breeze in those days. Software packages worked independent of each other and it was all good that way.

These days every bloody piece of software wants to link with another and share this, that and any other bloody things. Why do I need to be logged on to an internet browser? Why when I attempt to write something on an unrelated website it asks me if I want to share on my facebook page? No I don't want OneNote to open - fark off. No I don't want to be tagged in a photo - how do you know it is me? No I don't want to have my personal files uploaded to a cloud (they probably are anyway without my consent) - remember if you don't hold it you don't own it. No I don't want to play a game linked to the Steam community. Why is it try to download the game from the internet when I already have a purchased copy on DVD? Why do I need to create an account to every bloody thing these days? Why does my 4 year old laptop work so poorly - what is all that **** that runs in the background for? Why do MicroStuffed change everything when they release a new operating system so you can't find anything? I don't want videos automatically starting in pages which cause them to hang if the last 2% isn't download. Flash players that keep crashing.

/end of rant.
I agree 100%
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Big Brother - just 30 years later than George predicted!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Guessing the agreement is the older generation?

Unfortunately team, adapt or perish. This is the way the world is going.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #9
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Imagine having a computer that does what you ask it to do and removes *** hair as well.

Heaven.

Sigh

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #10
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290GTP View Post
Imagine having a computer that does what you ask it to do and removes *** hair as well.

Heaven.

Sigh

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #11
Pis-ton broke
Banned

i agree, its total bs.
something that pees me off is , everybody wants a password, but not just any password, it must be a strong password, cause i,m just very important person with lots of important information, blaa blaa blaa. its true that my bank doesn,t scrutinise my password and youtube is a friggin pita., go figure?
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #12
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One word - iMac

Bought one 8 years ago never looked back, never had to stuff around with soft ware, it's able to read all files even the ones windows can't, is compatible with all hardware without taking hours to set up, take out of the box and it works

No need for virus programs sold by the creator of said viruses, so you have to buy a program every 6-12 months to keep your computer running, and all the other rubbish you need to keep a window based machine running, and then they never work properly anyway without crashing or not recognising files, or losing whole folders and files without explanation.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2017, 04:42 PM   #13
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

/end of rant.
You do know you can still buy typewriters, photo albums & filing cabinets!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #14
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
You do know you can still buy typewriters, photo albums & filing cabinets!

This is where the Daleks win.

Exeterminate, exterminate!
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #15
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290GTP View Post

Heaven.

Sigh
That's very appropriate.

*** hair removing computer would help some out
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #16
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

/end of rant.
To the blokes that think a Mac is any different, it was maybe 10 years ago, it is certainly not the case with anything made in this decade..

Everything is now linked to clouds, apple accounts, messaging, you can't even get into a new mac without creating an apple account and being connected to the internet. I dont think you can create an apple id without a credit card and personal details etc....

My apple account needed the password changed and because it is linked to the Mac, you can no longer get into the computer because there is a mismatch on passwords...my mac needed rebooting and resetting to factory settings to be able to get into it again... needless to say every file on the mac was now gone, luckily it was pretty new so not much lost..
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2017, 05:26 PM   #17
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I,Ve been using Linux for years for desk top stuff. iPad is apple. Phone android. I avoid Microsoft like herpes.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #18
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I've been using Linux for years, - Bless you Linus Torvold.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2017, 03:14 AM   #19
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont have any problems with my pc's, laptops, handhelds or imacs. Except the bloody iphone wont talk to the iMac. Everything else does, to everything else just apple to apple! Wont even recognise themselves over a wired connection.
Are the complainants perhaps an older generation?
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2017, 10:39 PM   #20
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Dont have any problems with my pc's, laptops, handhelds or imacs. Except the bloody iphone wont talk to the iMac. Everything else does, to everything else just apple to apple! Wont even recognise themselves over a wired connection.
Are the complainants perhaps an older generation?
JP
My iPhone a mac talk fine..do you need someone older to help you out?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2017, 11:30 AM   #21
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSneakiness View Post
Guessing the agreement is the older generation?

Unfortunately team, adapt or perish. This is the way the world is going.
Before reading the thread I assumed it was going to be by someone who struggles to login to the form,but clearly he knows how to use a computer and makes many good points.

I'm 26 and did computer studies at school. I agree with OP on a number of his points.
Nothing is optional. You have to sign up to everything and link everything whether you want to or not.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #22
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

This is why we do everything with a pen and paper, at work.

it's also good for confusing the telemarketers who call, asking for our email address so they can contact us...."We don't have an email address" isn't in their script. They don't know what to do after that.

"But how do people contact you?"
"You're talking to me now aren't you?"
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2017, 06:19 AM   #23
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually the mother has a couple Yahoo email accounts she uses

One is a @yahoo.com.au which works fine
Other is a @yahoo.com and its this one that to this day ****s my head in.

Banks and other institutions like your created password and stick to it. No problems

Email providors seem to think that if i dont have a strong password and that Donald Trump will in fact get into my account and go ape ****.

More issues with the email account passwords then anything else.

Had to remove the @yahoo.com account from her phone remotely, not a easy task when she is yapping about changing phones which isnt necessary.

Hate yahoo with a passion.

As for Windows, Im still trying to find the 'anykey' to continue
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2017, 06:04 PM   #24
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a @yahoo.com.au and it works great. I had more issues with my older emails from more popular email sites.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2017, 02:47 PM   #25
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Before reading the thread I assumed it was going to be by someone who struggles to login to the form,but clearly he knows how to use a computer and makes many good points.

I'm 26 and did computer studies at school. I agree with OP on a number of his points.
Nothing is optional. You have to sign up to everything and link everything whether you want to or not.
As a BA in a large multinational I am fully aware of software, integration and the ability to communicate between these programs using one user account. My last project has been assisting in linking one of our management programs to an App so allow users to complete their work offsite.

Again unfortunately it's how the tech world is moving now. Less logins and more inter-software communications.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #26
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSneakiness View Post
As a BA in a large multinational I am fully aware of software, integration and the ability to communicate between these programs using one user account. My last project has been assisting in linking one of our management programs to an App so allow users to complete their work offsite.

Again unfortunately it's how the tech world is moving now. Less logins and more inter-software communications.
For my "day job" I am a Project Manager for a 21st century+ Identity Management system. I can tell you there is no excuse for the intrusion into peoples personal info that is happening these days.

The younger generations seem to not understand what personal information is.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2017, 09:29 PM   #27
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As an owner and player of some great old instruments and a fan of vinyl 60's and 70's blues rock, I love analogue gear and really dislike most digital stuff so I am not a big fan of tech. I have a laptop & still use a 3g small nokia handset and I enjoy the time & cost saving benefits of the online world. My wife is in the US & Canada for work at the moment. Before she left, she went through quite a time consuming process making sure her two smart phones (work & personal) laptop & I-pad were all set to work overseas. Guess what, nothing works from her end and I have been able to get through once so far. When I was a kid, you simply picked up the home phone and dialled about 20 digits, wait a bit and then you could speak. It wasn't always the best line, but it worked and you didn't need permission from the people you pay to use the service to make overseas calls. New technology is great when it works, but too often it relies on other things to run at a premium which in many cases, it doesn't.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #28
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

/end of rant.
Everything he said plus this. When is it considered terrorism when I cannot simply turn on MY computer and do a task I want to do WITHOUT being subjected to any number of products, any number of distressing images, let alone being asked if I want to f-ck some house wife in the area. Fair dinkum, some days the amount of crap you have to wade through just to complete certain tasks borders on overwhelming. I choose to listen to non commercial radio and tv and I stopped reading newspapers & watching the tv news years ago and now I cant even do what I want on the computer without being subjected to countless negative images. Who has control over general internet page content?
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2017, 08:29 PM   #29
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Everything he said plus this. When is it considered terrorism when I cannot simply turn on MY computer and do a task I want to do WITHOUT being subjected to any number of products, any number of distressing images, let alone being asked if I want to f-ck some house wife in the area. Fair dinkum, some days the amount of crap you have to wade through just to complete certain tasks borders on overwhelming. I choose to listen to non commercial radio and tv and I stopped reading newspapers & watching the tv news years ago and now I cant even do what I want on the computer without being subjected to countless negative images. Who has control over general internet page content?
Your browser history controls what you see 😈

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 14-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #30
Pis-ton broke
Banned

my computer could beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing!
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: