Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 20-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
cattitude

Unhappy Mondeo MB TDCI dangerous intermittent fault

I wonder if anyone has any ideas here as I am getting nowhere with Ford Dealership, they cant figure out the problem either.

I have a Mondeo MB Titanium TDCI

Since purchase 12 months ago I have had a lot of intermittent problems with it.
Stability light comes up on dash when it does I cant use cruise control and hill launch disables (this happens ever so often)
I have my stereo cut off for a millisecond, you sit wondering, did that just cut out.
When driving I sometimes get a sudden sharp jolt in the car as if hit from behind I have since discovered this is stalling.
Stalls while sitting at traffic lights, no jolt just everything turns off.
My gears sometimes fall out when driving, pedal down then all of a sudden car is lifeless, go to move to left lane for safety then all of a sudden gears come back.

A few days ago I had just taken off to shops, engine just mildly warmed.
Accelerating at around 40-50km to go up a slight hill, all of a sudden the car came to an instant stop, threw me really hard forward, all power off, as it happened so quick, my foot was still on accelerator then suddenly power all came back, a sharp jolt and car took off again. It was terribly frightening as a car had come up behind me and tooted me, I am not sure if they see brake lights and the fact it came close to an accident due to this ongoing fault!!! I was so freaked out by it all I had to pull over.
Oh and car was right back to normal enjoyable fault free driving.

My car is once again back with dealership while I have a loan car, its been back to them probably 6 times or more.
Each time they have it, the car does not fault.
They HAVE seen the faults on the screen as I took it to them when it was faulting, computer shot out multiple errors that made no sense but again they could not pick the fault.
So they know the car is faulting yet they cant figure it out.

I am so exhausted with trying to find out what the problem is, the problem is intermittent so other than when it faults the car drives really nicely
It happens on cold or hot engine, there seems to be no pattern.

Anyone experienced a similar problem?

I don't get that FORD cant figure out what is wrong with their own cars!

cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
cattitude

Default Re: Mondeo MB TDCI dangerous intermittent fault

I get the feeling I am the ONLY one suffering this type of problem with the Mondeo. :(
Old 02-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have faith, sometimes fault finding can be difficult, especially in these modern cars full of electronics, i think you will find it can and does happen on occasion to all brands, hopefully its resolved for you soon.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sounds very scary mate.

Keep at Ford and perhaps ring a number of other Ford dealers, speak to their service dept to see if they've ever come across the problem.

All the very best with it, and please keep us posted.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
cattitude

To date my car has spent two weeks back at the dealership, they have said they could not fault the car, that was until the last few days when they did fault it, unsure what problem appeared as there are the few of them.
The mechanic then decided to look further (it would had been easier to trust what I was telling them and do this sooner!) and found a module to the computer with bent pins, so this has been sorted out I'm told.
I bought my car home, travelled less than 20km and have had all faults occur!!!!!
The stability control light has come on, the hill launch has said its inactive (cant set it no matter what as its part of the faulting) the cruise control does not work when faulting.
The following day after these problems, again I began to accelerate onto a main road and the car almost came to an instant halt as it stalled again, very frightening.

So I have called ford to be told, bring it back and we will try fault it, my god we have been over this time and time again, they have already faulted the car, I don't understand why they are not investigating for the problem as they know the problem is there as they have experienced it themselves.
Within the meantime I'm left to drive what I feel is a death trap, in hope that the car does not stall at come to an instant stop causing someone to hit me from behind.

What money do you need to pay to purchase a safe car and if ford cant fix their own problems or know what they are then who can?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattitude View Post
To date my car has spent two weeks back at the dealership, they have said they could not fault the car, that was until the last few days when they did fault it, unsure what problem appeared as there are the few of them.
The mechanic then decided to look further (it would had been easier to trust what I was telling them and do this sooner!) and found a module to the computer with bent pins, so this has been sorted out I'm told.
I bought my car home, travelled less than 20km and have had all faults occur!!!!!
The stability control light has come on, the hill launch has said its inactive (cant set it no matter what as its part of the faulting) the cruise control does not work when faulting.
The following day after these problems, again I began to accelerate onto a main road and the car almost came to an instant halt as it stalled again, very frightening.

So I have called ford to be told, bring it back and we will try fault it, my god we have been over this time and time again, they have already faulted the car, I don't understand why they are not investigating for the problem as they know the problem is there as they have experienced it themselves.
Within the meantime I'm left to drive what I feel is a death trap, in hope that the car does not stall at come to an instant stop causing someone to hit me from behind.

What money do you need to pay to purchase a safe car and if ford cant fix their own problems or know what they are then who can?
Sheesh you've had a bad run mate! Hang in there, they'll get to it. Perhaps the ecu itself is caput! In any case, don't take it back until they've had it run a number of times without any fault.

Your comments about it potentially being a death trap are quite real.

You may need to get Ford Customer Service involved in this.

Keep us posted.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

A call to Ford Customer Service *does* get action (in my experience).
I had their roving service technician spend nearly an hour looking for brake fluid external leaks.......the problem IMO was internal fluid bypass in the brake master cylinder.

A further call to consumer affairs in your state may also prove fruitfull. Being an MB model I expect it is now out of warranty but the justly used phrase "death trap" will hopefully illicit some useful advice or action.

On another thread, one Mondeo owner (QLD?) had to take their car back 16 times to get the problems fixed. Hopefully not in your case, and fixed before something drastic happens, which would lead to compensation claims of course (I can hear the lawyers fidgeting already!!)

Good luck.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee - some serious issues going on. I'd be sending written correspondence to Ford Customer Car advising them that your car is suffering from some major safety issues & that you will be holding them liable in the event of any subsequent injury or damage caused by said motor vehicle. In fact, maybe a letter from a solicitor might be even better.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
cattitude

I continued to struggle with this problem of warning lights coming on every week or so on mild driving as well as the car stalling (yes instant halt) almost rear ended once!
My car spend around a year at the dealership while they played games with me, continued to tell me the codes were cleared now and it was fixed, this happened around 30 times or more!

I contacted ford head office and dealt with the so called customer care who honestly could not give two ***** about their customers.
I threaten legal action, as I demanded the car be replaced or refunded.
I was informed by sinclair ford that I was not entitled to a refund even though they sold this car to me FAULTY!!! and could not fix it
so the best they could do was blackmail me, threaten me and belittle me and demand more money for another car. I was swapped a 2011 Titanuim in the end.
and even when being swapped they did not detail the car (puke in the backseat console)
there was a thick live wire hanging down near the brake pedal, they fixed this after I was shocked with it while cleaning the carpet!
There is also a crack in the wind screen and small holes in the leather seats.
To think I paid good money for a car that was (when I bought it) only 16 months of age, I was so excited for a near to near car and excited it had warranty.
I suffered greatly over the past almost two years a lot of the time with no car and when I had it it was faulty and frightening to drive!
And in the end, I am treated like a porper and swapped a car that is THREE years old.

I have had fords my entire life, I have to say this experience as totally sickened me!
Once I am ready for a new car I will NEVER be buying for again, I feel ill be better buying from a dodgy dealer on parramatta road in NSW!!!!!!!!

Oh and the car they swapped me needed new tyres, well they stole them off my swap car to put on this car and told me they were "new"

I am in the process of reporting them to various organizations, so if you have any suggestions to assist.

Please be very careful where you buy your cars from and DO NOT TRUST the big name places, avoid the sea grey mondeo mb titanium with around 120 on clock, as maybe my old one, they can not fix it, no one has a single clue whats wrong with it, not ford or head office or Germany, no one!

Onto trying to find some good in the MC now :(
Old 16-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Bloody shocking mate. Had similar issues myself.

Sold it and got a new Mitsubishi.

Very happy now. I suggest you do similar.

Don't support a brand that doesn't support you.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #11
shirvo48
Starter Motor

Quote:
I wonder if anyone has any ideas here as I am getting nowhere with Ford Dealership, they cant figure out the problem either.

I have a Mondeo MB Titanium TDCI

Since purchase 12 months ago I have had a lot of intermittent problems with it.
Stability light comes up on dash when it does I cant use cruise control and hill launch disables (this happens ever so often)
I have my stereo cut off for a millisecond, you sit wondering, did that just cut out.
When driving I sometimes get a sudden sharp jolt in the car as if hit from behind I have since discovered this is stalling.
Stalls while sitting at traffic lights, no jolt just everything turns off.
My gears sometimes fall out when driving, pedal down then all of a sudden car is lifeless, go to move to left lane for safety then all of a sudden gears come back.

A few days ago I had just taken off to shops, engine just mildly warmed.
Accelerating at around 40-50km to go up a slight hill, all of a sudden the car came to an instant stop, threw me really hard forward, all power off, as it happened so quick, my foot was still on accelerator then suddenly power all came back, a sharp jolt and car took off again. It was terribly frightening as a car had come up behind me and tooted me, I am not sure if they see brake lights and the fact it came close to an accident due to this ongoing fault!!! I was so freaked out by it all I had to pull over.
Oh and car was right back to normal enjoyable fault free driving.

My car is once again back with dealership while I have a loan car, its been back to them probably 6 times or more.
Each time they have it, the car does not fault.
They HAVE seen the faults on the screen as I took it to them when it was faulting, computer shot out multiple errors that made no sense but again they could not pick the fault.
So they know the car is faulting yet they cant figure it out.

I am so exhausted with trying to find out what the problem is, the problem is intermittent so other than when it faults the car drives really nicely
It happens on cold or hot engine, there seems to be no pattern.

Anyone experienced a similar problem?

I don't get that FORD cant figure out what is wrong with their own cars!
I'm curious to know if this was ever rectified as my MB is doing the same. Had it checked and the best result I could get was found fault code: P02E1 - diesel intake air flow control performance. They cleared the code and suggest monitor and recheck if fault occurs. Scary when everything cuts out and your going round a corner...
shirvo48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #12
cattitude

It was never fixed, I battled for almost two years with telling them I was going to take legal action, they swapped my car for another.
as you would know the fault is VERY DANGEROUS as when it cuts out the comes to a instant stop.
I would suggest to get onto ford customer care and demand that it is taken serious, demand they swap your car!
they will keep telling you they have cleared the codes and its all good now but thats a load of BS to fob you off!!!!!
I was even suggested by ford to trade my death trap in for another car, in the end i was out of pocket around 3k to swap over!
two years of hell!!!
Old 11-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #13
shirvo48
Starter Motor

Quote:
It was never fixed, I battled for almost two years with telling them I was going to take legal action, they swapped my car for another.
as you would know the fault is VERY DANGEROUS as when it cuts out the comes to a instant stop.
I would suggest to get onto ford customer care and demand that it is taken serious, demand they swap your car!
they will keep telling you they have cleared the codes and its all good now but thats a load of BS to fob you off!!!!!
I was even suggested by ford to trade my death trap in for another car, in the end i was out of pocket around 3k to swap over!
two years of hell!!!
Thanks for the prompt reply. This has just started in the last 6 months and happened again over a couple of days last week and then stopped. Had it checked it out today where they gave me the error code. Mine seems to happen more when I'm slowing down or like the other day was just going round a corner.

Only having 71k on the clock is worrying as I am now retired and really can't afford to change the car over. Had it from new as it was to be hopefully our last car...
Old 11-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #14
cattitude

I was going to setup a dash cam on my dash to catch the error lights but also to catch the noise and jolt on the car, might be worth trying, some very cheap ones on eBay.
I was going to do this as I was intimidated to the max and made out that, all these problems with my car was in my head, even though it had happened with two different passengers.
Please keeps us updated on it.

I had also found that this sort of problem seems to be more common in the uk, and has also been seen in Hyundai. If you google you will find some intereting links but don't restrict your search to Australia.

Hope you can get somewhere before the car causes an accident ��
Old 11-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #15
shirvo48
Starter Motor

Thanks again. Have been looking at the uk sites already but will pursue more.
Old 30-06-2014, 12:54 AM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any updates on the stalling problem ? im wondering if it may be 2 problems ? one electronic problem, another a fuel quality/contamination issue? im probably wrong but just thinking outside the box, on occasions these sorts of things happen this way.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #17
shirvo48
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Any updates on the stalling problem ? im wondering if it may be 2 problems ? one electronic problem, another a fuel quality/contamination issue? im probably wrong but just thinking outside the box, on occasions these sorts of things happen this way.
Not at the moment. Hasn't happened since I posted the question. I too thought it might be a fuel problem but the mechanic says no. No replies from the UK site although someone posted that it had happened in another car on one of their main highways and was nearly tail ended. It certainly can be dangerous although for me it has only happened when I was slowing down not at speed.
Old 30-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #18
cattitude

I had all my possible fuel issues checked, they said not fuel issue.
They also said its not an electrical issue, computer issue.
My previous MONDEO was put under investigation in Germany as they apparently know all the ins and outs, yet the never had an answer as to what was causing the problem.
I am starting to see more and more MONDEO stalling issues pop up, of course some seem to be the general fuel issues however some are going through hell trying to find out what it is.
I worries me, how long before someone is killed, as my car bought me very close to a serious accident when stalling and instantly stopping.
Old 30-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #19
Paul22

Has anyone checked the Earth wiring at all - anywhere?
Paul22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #20
cattitude

Mine was checked, all was fine
Old 30-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #21
shirvo48
Starter Motor

Just wondering if this is similar to the problem that VW had with a few people injured when car stopped for no reason. Might have to do some looking at what their fault was as I think they did a recall of certain models. I could be wrong though...
Old 30-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #22
shirvo48
Starter Motor

here's a link to the vw recall. http://www.caradvice.com.au/235101/v...er-dsg-defect/ interesting reading.