The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New Vic road rules set for next week

Just thought i would post this up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninemsn
Victorian motorists are being warned they face hefty fines from Monday when a swathe of new road rules will take effect.

The changes will tighten rules on mobile phones, GPS units, child restraints and U-turns.

"We know that talking on a hand-held mobile while driving is reckless and increases the risk of a crash fourfold," VicRoads manager of road behaviour Antonietta Cavallo said in a statement.

"Texting is extremely dangerous and banned. The advice is simple: `hands on the wheel, eyes on the road'," she said.

Come Monday, Victorian motorists can't talk on a mobile held up to their ear - drivers will have to keep their phones in a cradle or use a hands-free device.

Stand-alone GPS units must also be hands-free and fixed in a cradle.

If police catch a driver holding their phone they could face a $234 fine and lose three demerit points.

Other rules being launched on Monday include banning children under 8 from riding on motorcycles and forcing drivers to not pass the rear doors of a stopped tram.

Children under seven travelling in vehicles will have to be in a child restraint or booster seat while motorists won't be able to perform u-turns on a single continuous dividing line.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Jason[98.EL]; 07-11-2009 at 09:03 AM. Reason: removed link as it didnt work
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Summary of new rule changes
Mobile phones and visual display units
Using a mobile phone to make or receive a phone call while driving is prohibited except if the phone...more...
Child restraints
All children under seven years of age must wear a child restraint or booster seat when travelling in a car for improved safety. The type of restraint will depend on the age of the chilld...more...
U-Turns and overtaking
A driver will not be able to overtake, or do a U-turn across a single continuous centre line, or a single continuous line to the left of a broken lines...more...
Seatbelts
It is the responsibility of the driver to ensure that all passengers in the car are wearing a seatbelt or a child restraint...more...
Motorcyclists
There are three new rules for motorcyclists...more...
Cyclists
The changes are about the helmet and using the proper seat for bicycle passengers, and for cyclists turning from, and stopping in, bicycle boxes at intersections with traffic signals...more...
Wheeled recreational devices
Scooters, skateboards and roller blades are called Wheeled Recreational Devices in the road rules...more...
Drivers
Whilst all of the new road rules affect drivers, these rules are additional new road safety rules particularly for drivers...more...
Driving with trams
When sharing the road with trams, a driver must stop before passing the rear of a stopped tram at a tram stop. Once the tram doors are closed and pedestrians have crossed between the tram and kerb, a driver may then proceed at no more than 10 km/h past the tram...more...
Parking
Stopping to park in a slip lane or on a painted island will be prohibited...more...

look at this link http://www.roadrules.vicroads.vic.gov.au/summary.php to get the full info on each of the rules

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-11-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

So, prior to Monday, driving while talking on the mobile was legal in Vic?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
So, prior to Monday, driving while talking on the mobile was legal in Vic?
Was thinking the same thing

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

..why make new laws when the old ones aren't enforced.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
If police catch a driver holding their phone they could face a $234 fine and lose three demerit points.
I found this out the hard way about two weeks ago.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

The sad thing about these changes is the lack of notification to all drivers.

Last night I mentioned it to my wife and she asked what the changes were. She didnt have any idea. I'm also confused about that mobile phone one.

Also in the new rules is that it is illegal to park next to a solid white line on the road, unless you leave a certain distance (3.3 m I think it was - cant find it anywhere atm), so to allow other vehicles to pass without crossing the white solid line. Our estate has these white lines in many locations, so people will have to revise how they park in front of their property. And along freeways, drivers cross them all the time when changing lanes.

Why cant Vicroads notify every driver like they should about the changes? They charge for the licences so they should be able to afford it.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

whats with all the white line rules?

So you are not allowed to change lanes when there are white lines in between lanes going in the same direction?

There are lots of curvy roads with single white lines, like down the Otways, where you cut corners lots of the time. Are you still allowed to do that on these roads? I guess not.

Also this could mean in Melbourne there will be near nowhere to do U turns where there are trams, as there is always a solid line down the centre of these roads!! Now that isnt right!! I'll sure be ignoring that one! As will all the cabbies and couriers i'll bet!!

Well, I guess as long as you have a quick look for cops before you do these things you'll be right?!

Its funny, I dont know about you people, but when laws stiffen up like that so you cant do even more, I do the opposite and will, for example do Uturns over traffic islands etc. Just cos I can see theres no cop around at that point in time. Will have to take the punt..
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
prydey
Rob

gee i though adelaide was behind but at least all those rules have been in action here for quite some time.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
yetchh
go bro

well in New Zealand, for as long as i can remember its been illegal to cross the solid line anywhere, except our solid lines are yellow not white the broken line is white.. as for the line on the left hand side, its a broken yellow and you have to be 2.0m from it(same as fire hydrants, driveways etc).. i was always quite amazed at how little people acknowledged solid lines over here.... and orange lights, i guess now it wont be the case
1977 RX4/929 coupe in epoxy finally
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
yetchh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might as well add some other rules:
1. Breathing and driving should not be tolerated.
2. Don't ever blink or sneeze while driving.
3. Your engine should never go above 2,000 rpm (this is hooning)
4. Don't adjust the radio - in fact it should not be turned on in the first place - wait, what are you doing with a radio in your car? This should be illegal!
What? Did somebody mention a car???? Cars should not exist! They are way too dangerous!!! :-)
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2009, 01:15 AM   #12
China

You guys have had it easy we have had these rules for years, its called revenue raising
China is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
4. Don't adjust the radio - in fact it should not be turned on in the first place - wait, what are you doing with a radio in your car? This should be illegal!
What? Did somebody mention a car???? Cars should not exist! They are way too dangerous!!! :-)

so which of the new rules did you think was totally outrageous. whilst many think they are more than capable of controlling a car whilst using a mobile device, the truth is, to many, it is a major distraction and is the potential cause of many accidents or near misses. the govt's only option is to set a blanket rule for everyone.

as for crossing an unbroken white line, pretty sure thats been the norm in every other state for a number of years now.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
This should be illegal!
If there are no cars on Vic roads, then how will the Government make any money : No speeding fines, no mobile phone fines, no parking fines, no crossing white line fines, no booster seat related fines, no GPS fines - the state will be bankrupt in 2 minutes flat
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I can't understand why the driver will be fined if a passenger won't wear a seatbelt. Fair enough if its children like the old rule, but i've been in the car with an adult who would refuse to wear a seatbelt. How am I supposed to force them to wear one. If we have an accident they will wear the consequences, not me. What happened to people taking responsibility for themselves.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I can't understand why the driver will be fined if a passenger won't wear a seatbelt. Fair enough if its children like the old rule, but i've been in the car with an adult who would refuse to wear a seatbelt. How am I supposed to force them to wear one. If we have an accident they will wear the consequences, not me. What happened to people taking responsibility for themselves.
As long as you can prove that you asked them to put one on, you wouldn't be fined, or at least you should get let off in court. However, the simple solution is, no belt = no lift.

So vic is finally catching up to the rest of us - about time. One day you will also be allowed to travel more than 3km/h over the limit without being caught/fined.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #17
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

As far as I see it, a GPS stuck in it's commercially designed holder stuck to the windscreen is suffice as to reading the below :

"navigation device but it must be an integrated part of the vehicle design, or secured in a commercially designed holder, which is fixed to the vehicle."

It doesn't state that it has to affixed by screws/glue/etc.

So what's your view about the validity on the windscreen suckers conforming to this rule??
I say it conforms.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i don`t think it will make much difference really, the force does`nt have enough patrols to enforce the laws we have , but perhaps the parking officers might be kept busy, on the other hand maybe its another excuse to bring in more camera`s ..... yes yes i can see it, they will call them white line safety camera`s............even more revenue.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #19
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

They are going to introduce tailgating cameras here in QLD soon.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 01:06 AM   #20
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanrz
As far as I see it, a GPS stuck in it's commercially designed holder stuck to the windscreen is suffice as to reading the below :

"navigation device but it must be an integrated part of the vehicle design, or secured in a commercially designed holder, which is fixed to the vehicle."

It doesn't state that it has to affixed by screws/glue/etc.

So what's your view about the validity on the windscreen suckers conforming to this rule??
I say it conforms.
i read somewhere, i think it might have been vicroads that suction cup gps units are fine
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #21
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

What about THIS one???
Visual display units
A driver must not drive a vehicle that has a television receiver or a visual display unit operating if any part of the screen is visible to the driver or is likely to distract another driver.

So if anyone else can see your DVD screen, YOU are guilty of distracting them???
Vic Roads are really losing the plot seriously!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
To be honest i've always thought the driver was responsible for everyone wearing seat-belts.
If a passenger refuses to wear a seat belt just kick them out of the car.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #23
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
To be honest i've always thought the driver was responsible for everyone wearing seat-belts.
If a passenger refuses to wear a seat belt just kick them out of the car.
Plain and simple.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #24
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Have to agree mate it's just getting stupid now.3/4's of the functional buttons in a car have no direct influence to driving but will still have to take our hands off the wheel to use them.I hope i don't get pinged for winding down my window in the future.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #25
LTDHO
The one and only

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by China
You guys have had it easy we have had these rules for years, its called revenue raising
Easy?
The rules have been in place for years, just no one told us.

The stupidest one of the lot is the new requirement to have the SATVAV on the right. Which F-Wit thought of that? Obviously a chauffeur driven F-Wit!
Now I have to run the power wire across the front of the dash, where it gets caught in the shifter and stalk controls!
Before anyone says run it else where, to prevent theft the unit is put away after use, so can't hard run the wire.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #26
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO

next time you get pulled over or front up in court you could use that excuse. it holds about as much water as a seive though.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #27
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

As far as I was aware these rules were always in place....so Im a little confused about them calling them NEW
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #28
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Easy?

The stupidest one of the lot is the new requirement to have the SATVAV on the right. Which F-Wit thought of that? Obviously a chauffeur driven F-Wit!
Now I have to run the power wire across the front of the dash, where it gets caught in the shifter and stalk controls!
Before anyone says run it else where, to prevent theft the unit is put away after use, so can't hard run the wire.
Not quite, here are the words in FAQ section.

3. Where is the safest place to secure my GPS Device?
VicRoads recommends that drivers secure their GPS systems out of the central field of view. This ensures that the GPS does not obstruct the line of sight of the driver.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #29
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

If Vic Roads isn't Informing us Motorist of these changes in writing, is it possible to challenge the fines in court.
I Hardly watch any TV and yeh read the news here and there but again this can be argued aswell.
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #30
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
so which of the new rules did you think was totally outrageous.
Well holding a phone? Ok I can see talking on the phone being illegal, but holding one? how does this differ from holding anything else? So the Police will be consumed in looking for people holding phones, and not people that are causing accidents. So you know they won't be giving out warnings because it is "dangerous" teaching people why it is dangerous, they will be handing out tickets, bringing in the revenue, and not using precious time and resources in solving real problems. I fear that I will come back, drive on Australian roads and be shafted for everything in my wallet just because I am not used to this dictatorship of the roads, and being reminded how driving is a privilege and not a right I hold. Sorry, it's a right.... I could lose that right if I am not responsible, but driving is a right in todays society. Reading this stuff bothers me, because each 5 years or so, they have to go further and further in to this dictatorship, it never seems to go backwards. In Idaho, there are no speed traps, cameras, red light cameras etc... yet somehow most people seem to drive responsibly. So all that crap doesn't do anything but bring money in. I often drive a few mph over the speed limit, and cops don't care... If I was being an idiot, I am sure I would get pulled over. It's much nicer. Of course the state doesn't make as much money this way....

Oh another thing... if a cop pulls someone over here, and it's a single lane road, the cars are on the shoulder... if it's a double line, and nobody is coming the other way, i slow down, cross over the line a little for the safety of the cop. I do the same if it is a broken down car. Looking at these new rules, I will get a fine if I think of the safety of the people on the side of the road, I should just stay completely in the lane regardless? Does the driver not get to use discretion?

Last edited by chevypower; 09-11-2009 at 01:22 PM.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post