Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Should Fred get his money back?
Yes, be nice and give it back 16 18.60%
Hell no, it's yours now. 45 52.33%
I like big butts and I dunno why? 25 29.07%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-01-2006, 12:16 PM   #1
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Deposit - Do you keep it if sale falls through?

So I had two bikes (a 250 and a 600) and no car, now have bought a BA ute and am selling one of the bikes (the 250). Had it advertised on another forum for $3,000 and one guy (lets call him Fred) was really interested (though he didnt have a license). Anyway showed him the bike ect. and he said he was going to go do his 2 day RTA learner course and get back to me. Meanwhile a few other people were interested and posted up saying could they look at it. When Fred saw these replies he rang me in a panic and said don't sell it to them I will put down a 10 percent deposit. So I say OK and he does an internet bank transfer to my account.

Now I havn't heard from Fred in a week or so and I email him and he says he failed the L test (what the $%, it SOOOO easy, P's are the hard one), and he isnt going to get a bike.

Hmm in the meantime I have turned down 4-5 enquiries about the bike and knocked back 1 cash offer as Fred already had a deposit down. So should I give Fred back his $300 or do I get to keep it - advice I have had so far is that I keep it. What would you do?

1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 12:19 PM   #2
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Keep it - that's the point of a deposit - It's compensated for the time you've spent dealing with the clown, and the opportunities you missed to sell it earlier.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 12:20 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Deposits are usually non-refundable.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 12:23 PM   #4
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I say keep it, unless one of the other buyers can be contacted and they pay up straigth away (then possibly I might give it back), otherwise the $300 covers your wasted time and re-advertising costs etc.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
Inferno
Mr Forty Seven

Businesses do it all the time, sometimes as security, usually to cover a freight cost or something like that. When I called Ford about an XR bar they said, yeah, that's fine, we'll get it over for you from Melbourne, but if you change your mind we want $100 as a deposit, non refundable. That is your money, keep it.

Also Featuring

NFERNO Registration Plates
ELXR Front Bar & Bonnet with Sequential Scoop
18x8 Graphite Rims, Genie Extractors and Exhaust, Chrome Moulds
ELGT Steering Wheel, Clear Repeators, Cornering Lamps, Tinted Windows
Walnut Highlights, Pionner DEH-P9650MP Headunit & Pro-Series Speakers

Local Playground: Brisbane CBD and surrounding suburbs
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
falcon91

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
I say keep it, unless one of the other buyers can be contacted and they pay up straigth away (then possibly I might give it back), otherwise the $300 covers your wasted time and re-advertising costs etc.
I totally agree!
falcon91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 12:36 PM   #7
parawolf
beep beep

A deposit is security to prevent other buyers from purchasing the item from under them. If they then do not want the item they forfeit the deposit, unless the item turns out not to be what was advertised, or not available at the time they want to buy it.

So basically, if they stuff up, you keep the deposit, if you stuff up, they get the deposit back.
Old 18-01-2006, 12:40 PM   #8
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depending on the situation. I put a deposit on a car, and when i called him later, after his son agreeing to have the car checked, the father cracked it and tolled me to ИИИИ off. He tried to keep the deposit and when a lawyer sent him a letter that he didn't fullfil the contract by letting me get the car checked he handed it back over.

If this dude is just being a tyre kicker, stuff him. Did the contract have by any chance a certain he had to pick the bike up by. If so tell him to get lost and its his loss.
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 12:43 PM   #9
parawolf
beep beep

EB: but you described what I mentioned, if the seller stuffs up - then you get the deposit back. eg in this case he didn't fullfill the contract of sale which was to get the car checked. So rightly you got legally involved and got the money back.
Old 18-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #10
Discovery
"Jlywrslr" ;)

My personal rule is to take the cost of the ad I took out and the same again to readvertise it. If there's any left over I'd give that back. Have only ever had one fall through though and have sold a lot of cars.

Maybe i'm too nice..
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 12:54 PM   #11
HSE2

I would give it back
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 12:55 PM   #12
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I would keep the deposit. That is what the deposit is for. If you feel symphathy for the guy maybe (and thats a big maybe) give him say $100 back. But I would keep the full deposit. You have had to reject offers becaus eof this guy.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 12:57 PM   #13
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery
My personal rule is to take the cost of the ad I took out and the same again to readvertise it. If there's any left over I'd give that back. Have only ever had one fall through though and have sold a lot of cars.

Maybe i'm too nice..
Nope thats what Id do too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 12:57 PM   #14
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Deposits yours but only if you stated it was non-refundable at the time. If I leave a deposit on something. I generally tell the owner they can keep the deposit if I change my mind. I consider it compensation to cover costs of advertising and their time.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 01:03 PM   #15
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting keep it coming...by the way there was no contract - simply a couple of PM's along the lines of "if you put down a 10% deposit, I won't sell it to anyone else". I never told him it was non-refundable and he never asked about it. He simply sent me the money.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #16
HSE2

And that’s why I said what I did. I assumed that there was no or not much in the way of advertising cost due to the forum nature and he acted in good faith. I would assume he was genuine and move on.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #17
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What this guy would have needed was to add terms to the sale - ie if he fails his learner's, he gets his deposit back and you to agree to it. Or one I do usually is a condition for a car to get a result satisfactory to the buyer on a professional inspection. If not, get your deposit back. But in this case, the guy put a deposit down on a bike, then due to his own issues, changed his mind. He should have secured his learner's first, then looked for a bike. Or simply parked his purchase until he got his Ls. It's not your problem.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 01:58 PM   #18
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in a similar situation, but the deposit was $3k on a $4k car.
The purchaser, after a few months, now wants me to sell the car on his behalf, and he still owes me $1k.

What I'll most likely do is to keep $500 for stuffing me around, and give him $2500 back.
Old 18-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #19
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

"Fred" said not to sell it, thats why he put down 10%. Fred wanted the bike and intended to buy it, thats why he put a deposit down for 2 reasons.

1. to show he was genuine.
2. to prevent others from buying.

Thats what a deposit is for. In business its NOT refundable unless stated elsewhere.

I would not refund the deposit.
Old 18-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #20
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

Keep it, u just got $300, spend it on your G/F or wife, it was a deposit there for it is yours, he can ask for it back and you can tell him to ИИИИ off
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 02:18 PM   #21
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

I guess from all the posts here its up to you...
The guy was genuine, and had abit of bad luck so it all fell through.
simply mate its how you feel , put yaself in his shoes $300 aint that much but its not a tiny amount also.
you'll still end up selling the bike for what your after, ...
so the bigger question is...
Would it be Australian to keep it or give it back......
Quote:
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 18-01-2006, 02:22 PM   #22
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Depends how tuff Fred is, if hes a big basket with tatts and a harley id happily refund his deposit before he comes and breaks down your front door, if hes a doofus and you dont feel threatened by him keep it.

As they say sometimes its cheaper just to let the other party win even tho they are perhaps in the wrong...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 02:26 PM   #23
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
..................Would it be Australian to keep it or give it back......
Oh please. Thats a silly comment. Is it "un-australian" when you buy a house at auction, give your deposit, then realise you cant pay the rest and the real estate agents starts laughing at you when you ask for the deposit back? ........

I agree that if "fred" asks for it back then a good responce would be to give it to him after the bike is sold. I think that is fair. It makes sence that if you recived the price you wanted to sell it for, then after that you can return the deposit to fred. Im sure fred know he has stuffed up and realises that you are not required to return it. Im sure he would understand this senario.

"Un-Australian" to not give a deposit back. Whats next? Its un-australian to return videos to blockbuster?

Last edited by Thunder; 18-01-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 02:29 PM   #24
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Mate we are not talking thousands of dollars, nor are we talking realestate, this was a private arrangement.
as for the vid remark you know where you can put it!!!
Quote:
Old 18-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #25
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Yeh...in the slot .......bahahahahah e
Old 18-01-2006, 02:35 PM   #26
Mr. CVE
If it aint Blown it Sucks

when I bought my car I actually bought one the day prior.
I put a $400 dep down on it, the next day there was a better car in the paper and i bought that one, i called the guy who I had left the deposit with less than 24 hr prior and told him, he was upset, I did say he can keep the deposit. it was my error soI bear the cost. otherwise the whole deposit thing isn't really worth anything.
320 rwkw, 810 nm torque, 280rwkw @3000 rpm !! :thebirds:
Now for sale
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11296772

Thanks to Snort Performance, Headsex and CVE
Street car DeTomaso Pantera
Drag car 1995 Mustang, Haleys Comet ( It's back !)
Power by CVE
Melbourne's first SNIPER Tuner :
Now tuning E series
Mr. CVE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 02:35 PM   #27
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Right on....
Quote:
Old 18-01-2006, 02:42 PM   #28
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It really comes down to if you can sleep at night knowing you didn't say the deposit wasn't refundable.
But on the other hand if the guy never asked if it was or not then again, its something that you and only you can decide is the right thing or not.

I don't know personally what the right thing to do is, there is some good points for not giving it back and some good points for giving it back.

Have you spoken with the guy in question about the whole deposit thing? Maybe he doesn't expect it back!!!!!!!
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 03:39 PM   #29
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What I would have done is to take the deposit but make it clear the bike is still For Sale, but he gets first refusal if another buyer comes along. So if another buyer is definately going to buy it he's got the chance to come up with the cash & buy it or declines, if the second buyers completes the deal, you then return the deposit to the first guy.

But at the end of the day I would give it back if I sold reasonably quickly or give it back less advertising costs.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 03:54 PM   #30
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
What I would have done is to take the deposit but make it clear the bike is still For Sale, but he gets first refusal if another buyer comes along. So if another buyer is definately going to buy it he's got the chance to come up with the cash & buy it or declines, if the second buyers completes the deal, you then return the deposit to the first guy.

But at the end of the day I would give it back if I sold reasonably quickly or give it back less advertising costs.
I'm with this one also, sell the bike to another buyer.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post