Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-02-2005, 02:01 AM   #1
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Help with online gaming

Ok guys (and gals) I know many of you are gifted in computers and the internet and stuff like that, so i was wondering if any of you can help me.

On monday i got my adsl modem in the mail (Netcomm NB5) and i hooked it up to my computer via Ethernet cable and it's working perfectly; couldn't be happier. However, today i bought the network adaptor for online play on my playstation 2, and i followed all the instructions on how to get me online, but i've been having problems. What I am doing is disconnecting the ethernet cable from the PC and plugging it into the PS2 adaptor. But when I do this, I can't seem to get it to connect as i do with the PC: my connection keeps failing. I'm sure all the settings are correct and all user names and passwords are what they should be, but for some reason, the DSL Link light keeps on flashing forever on my modem and the thing won't connect. I called iPrimus for help (my ISP) and the bloke said it had something to do with the DHCP (whatever that is) and I should call Sony for help.

If anyone on here can tell me how to get this thing to work your help will be very much appreciated. And if you can , please be specific coz I really do suck @ computers.

Thanks in advance.
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2005, 11:13 AM   #2
Envious
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hrmm,.... IMO the problem is that you are trying to play a PS2, dump that paper weight and play ur games on the PC, or get an XBOX. :

But seriously, go into Electronics Boutique, they should be able to help you, if not, u may just have to bite the bullet and call sony :
Old 06-02-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFordOwner
Hrmm,.... IMO the problem is that you are trying to play a PS2, dump that paper weight and play ur games on the PC, or get an XBOX. :
he doesn't have access to a barn or paddock, so he has nowhere to store an xbox :thebirds:
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2005, 04:24 PM   #4
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Has it only got one ethernet plug?
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2005, 05:36 PM   #5
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose_1
Has it only got one ethernet plug?
The modem has one ethernet and one usb port, but i connect it to the PC via ethernet and when i try hooking it up 2 the PS2, i disconnect it from the PC and plug it into the PS2. Is that wat u wanted to know???
Old 06-02-2005, 05:41 PM   #6
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

OK... Now i can manage pass the first test but i fail the DNS test with the message "FAILED DNS TEST". I called my ISP and the primary and secondary DNS numbers are right... I'm more confused then ever now. Maybe I should just try find the receipt and return the darn thing
Old 06-02-2005, 07:14 PM   #7
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

DHCP is what a router does to distribute IP adresses to a LAN, i dont know much about the playstation 2, but i think it acts like its own router and distributes its own IP address, what im thinking is that the playstation 2 IP adress might be in a different famiily to the modem.
send me both your modem and playstation 2 IP address's

Last edited by XplosiveR6; 06-02-2005 at 07:22 PM.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2005, 10:30 PM   #8
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
DHCP is what a router does to distribute IP adresses to a LAN, i dont know much about the playstation 2, but i think it acts like its own router and distributes its own IP address, what im thinking is that the playstation 2 IP adress might be in a different famiily to the modem.
send me both your modem and playstation 2 IP address's
I dont think the PS2 has its own IP address, i input the same one that my modem uses which is 192.168.1.1
Old 06-02-2005, 10:46 PM   #9
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmansour
I dont think the PS2 has its own IP address, i input the same one that my modem uses which is 192.168.1.1
check with your ISP if you have a static ip adress or dynamic ip address, you you have a static ip then you will have to set up the details manualy
Old 07-02-2005, 12:29 AM   #10
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Well my ISP tells me I don't have a static IP, however my IP doesn't ever change. It appears static to me
Old 07-02-2005, 08:32 AM   #11
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Save yourself a lot of hassle and buy a small router. I got a DLink that retails for about $90. Make sure that you get one that does have a client that will connect to your ISP. That way you don't have to dick around with the one cable coming out of the modem.

However, you'd probably just make sure that a PS2 will be fine behind a router (it should). I plug my XBOX straight into my router which took all of about a minute to set up and I can share live and my PC N/W connection with absolutely no hassles whatsoever.

IP never changing, it's quite possible since you either may not disconnect from your ISP or your ISP has an more IP addresses than simultaneous users. A DHCP server will prefer to lease you the same IP address if possible. If you were to disconnect for a few days you'd probably find you had a new IP address. My IP address almost changes daily on Telstra ADSL.

When I had Telstra cable many years ago I had the same IP for 2 years, I went away for a week, came back and I had to remember a new IP. :( Took me 1 year and 11 months to remember the old one.. 144.132.192.100 lol
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2005, 10:05 AM   #12
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

yes a router will help, and would more then likely fix your problem, you can get wireless routers if you dont have network cables to both your playstation and pc, with a wireless router you will need a wireless network card in your pc and/or a wireless adapter for your playstation2
Old 07-02-2005, 09:09 PM   #13
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Thanks for your help people, but in the end i don't think its worth the trouble... i'll probably give sony a call and if that dont fix it i'll get rid of the network adaptor and keep on playing with myself (and get your minds out of the gutter LOL)