Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Closed Thread

Old 14-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #271
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I spotted the first "red face" today and I have seen some members already up to 4 or 5 yellows. It seems to be in full swing already.
Old 14-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #272
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Yeh,i only see it as a " pat me on the back " fest, cant see it acheiving much. Just saw 4V mans rating, he has contributed a fair bit, but still a P plater.
Old 14-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #273
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

It is a new system...give it time. I assume you can go back to a post and give rep points?

There have been more than a few posts in the past that I have thought, what a great post but didn't want to reply in a thread because it was just something I was reading up on but there are alot of people on here that will appreciate the advice and show it by applying a rep point rather than a post saying thanks.

The person that posts up will know that their advice was appreciated at least.
Old 14-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #274
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I spotted the first "red face" today and I have seen some members already up to 4 or 5 yellows. It seems to be in full swing already.
Mr red face also scored detention!
Old 14-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #275
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Yeh,i only see it as a " pat me on the back " fest, cant see it acheiving much. Just saw 4V mans rating, he has contributed a fair bit, but still a P plater.
..... early days. Give it a bit and the discussions will die down and people will be getting used to it with lots of smileys all over the place. Any sort of recognition I think is healthy! I dont see anything wrong with a little bit of back patting every now and again.

Cant beleive how much discussion this small part of the forums has had! Admin would be thinking .... "Why bother!"

As far as 4V goes ....... IT'S QUALITY ...... NOT QUANTITY~ :

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 14-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #276
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Take 2 as my first reply was answered, if I see this I will reset users reputations levels to 0, it might be amusing for some to play games but alas I can smile just as hard!
Old 14-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #277
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
I've been doing that for the last 3 years, but that doesnt seem to count at all. Seems all my 'BA How to' threads, advice and help to newcomers guiding them to threads that answer their problems etc. have not been appreciated at all by the forum masters.

Just feel quite deflated really, probably wont be wasting any more time here anymore. Will spend more time on my more productive hobbies now.

wow, life is not over, the system has been going again for how long?

: : :
Old 14-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #278
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
There have been more than a few posts in the past that I have thought, what a great post but didn't want to reply in a thread because it was just something I was reading up on but there are alot of people on here that will appreciate the advice and show it by applying a rep point rather than a post saying thanks.

The person that posts up will know that their advice was appreciated at least.
Now that IS very well put. Agree whole heartedly!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 21-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #279
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
User can only hope to improve -500
User has a little way to go -250
User is an unknown quantity at this point 0
User Still on L plates 10
User P Plater 101
User Advanced Driver - well worthy of respect 301
User is a jewel in the rough 500
User is just really nice 750
User is a beacon of light 1,000
User is a name known to all 1,500
User has much to be proud of 2,500
User has a reputation beyond repute 5,000
The descriptions above 301 are the defaults and not really AFFish so here are a few random ideas for them should you wish to make them more suitable.

User is a Grand Tourer, respected by all 1500
User is a Grand Tourer with Handling Option, most respected 2500
User is the STIG 5000

Just a thought.....
Old 21-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #280
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Good idea Flappist

However the younger members will kick up a stink with the references to the HO cars!

Also agree with Geez louise's idea of not having to post in the thread but give a pat on the back for a good post

System is working well - 4Vman guruness (sic) has finally been appreciated
Old 21-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #281
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

might see if I can get his changed to cast iron heads
Old 21-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #282
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
ROFL...
( Heads, plural....he's from Tassie? )
Old 21-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #283
Scott

Quote:
Let the CHI v AFD debates begin :
Old 21-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #284
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
hey every vehicle i own has alloy heads now!!!

Old 22-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #285
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

lol

Wasn't speaking about car bits....
Old 22-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #286
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
System is working well - 4Vman guruness (sic) has finally been appreciated
PLEASE no more smileys! You are only encouraging him!!!! :yeees:

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 22-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #287
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
PLEASE no more smileys! You are only encouraging him!!!! :yeees:
Sorry Mark!

We can easily aggrevate 4Vman by some stupid post in the Classic Falcons section and he may just get a warning fron his response. thus curbing the amount of smileys in his User CP and avatar. For example

"What amazing luck!

I have just bought an XA GT and it has a winged sump, disc brake rear end, 780cfm carb, HM headers and 38 previous owners

It hasnt been touched i have been assured. I have also been told it is Phase 4 but didnt get that stamped on the compliance plate.

How lucky am i?"

Surely his response will invoke a warning? :
Old 22-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #288
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

what does it mean when you get a neutral face after someone gives you a rep point? you can see who gave you rep point in the user cp, and the user has a neutral face shown... is it just the user themself or did they give you neutral rep??
Old 22-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #289
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
what does it mean when you get a neutral face after someone gives you a rep point? you can see who gave you rep point in the user cp, and the user has a neutral face shown... is it just the user themself or did they give you neutral rep??
That just means your were given rep by someone with not much (if any) rep power.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 22-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #290
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
That just means your were given rep by someone with not much (if any) rep power.
Ah... thought that might be the case, thanks
Old 22-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #291
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

So really helping out a newbie (ie giving them a quick/simple/cheap solution to something they're stuck on) doesn't give you as much positive rep as say posting something that moderately assists a longtime/senior member?
Old 22-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #292
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

correct Ghia 5L
Old 22-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #293
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I realise my 2c is kind of late gcg2503, but...

Surely # of posts and duration of membership would skew the results for members. And members for themselves can see when other members joined/how many posts they've made.

Yourself for example, your rep power is way below mine due to join date & # of posts, but I'm betting you put far more positive input into these forums. (I tend to read more than post these days)
Old 22-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #294
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
correct Ghia 5L
to a degree

depends if a long term member has already handed out points....
Old 22-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #295
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I guess the best thing to do is see how it all unfolds. Either it takes off quite well and we see more members like gcg2503, who are relatively recent & have low-ish post counts, flourish with this rep/rep power thing, or all the old-time & senior members will have all the rep & all the rep power (due to the system not really being utilised by all).

I've handed out no points so far. But, let's just say I'm searching for answers to 50 questions I have, I find 50 useful posts, all equally useful to my 50 questions. Is it first-in-best-repped?

I fully get the smiley faces and how they work, you can instantly pick out the members who contribute a lot of useful info (other than just having large post counts). The rep power itself though I see as skewed/unfair. The poster who helps out a senior member with something gets more "rep" than the poster who helps out 10 newbies. Theoretically.
Old 22-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #296
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I take comfort in the fact that my rep power here (22) is much better than what I achieve in the gym (6-10)

Old 22-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #297
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

That would be correct if we followed the assumption that people are only going to hand out rep points for posts that help them individually - which looking at what has happened so far is not always the case.

Certainly the mods and admins have handed out rep for posts that have been of benefit to others as have some individuals so the theory that helping out newbies is of no benefit falls down somewhat at that point.

People who are helpful by nature will be helpful regardless - whilst earning recognition from your peers in the form of reputation is nice, it should never be the primary reason that you decide to offer some help or advice.

Cheers
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
I guess the best thing to do is see how it all unfolds. Either it takes off quite well and we see more members like gcg2503, who are relatively recent & have low-ish post counts, flourish with this rep/rep power thing, or all the old-time & senior members will have all the rep & all the rep power (due to the system not really being utilised by all).

I've handed out no points so far. But, let's just say I'm searching for answers to 50 questions I have, I find 50 useful posts, all equally useful to my 50 questions. Is it first-in-best-repped?

I fully get the smiley faces and how they work, you can instantly pick out the members who contribute a lot of useful info (other than just having large post counts). The rep power itself though I see as skewed/unfair. The poster who helps out a senior member with something gets more "rep" than the poster who helps out 10 newbies. Theoretically.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 22-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #298
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Russell, just a suggestion. Could you make people start out with at least one rep point?

I know its nothing but 1 rep point might be the difference between an extra smiley face.
Old 22-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #299
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

So for a regular member like myself, who only looks at threads on here that interest myself, it's a bit hard to tell if somebody's post in the B-Series section on say flash-tuning was useful. Since I wouldn't be looking in the B-Series section.

The newbies theory still stands, as they don't have their own rep-power to let everyone know that "hey, this person's post really helped me when I was just starting out here!". Maybe it's more of a stumble than somewhat falling down :P

Well, that's all fine (helpful people will help regardless) but that's neither here nor there with respect to this Reputation/Rep Power system.

As I said in my last post, the smiley faces make perfect sense to me, it's just the Rep Power factor seemed skewed due to post count/join date. That's all
Old 22-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #300
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Well perhaps you'd care to suggest a better method rather than just being critical of the system - it's not as if it hasn't been the topic of substantial discussion or that there hasn't been plenty of opportunity for suggestions to be made - several of which in this thread have resulted in changes to the system.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Closed Thread