Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Ford Australia Invests $230 Million in New Fuel-Efficient Engines for Local Vehicles

• Ford Australia builds on its fuel economy leadership by adding three new, fuel-efficient engines as part of $230 million investment in sustainability initiatives. These initiatives add to Ford’s previously announced investment in engineering its I6 engine for Euro IV by mid-2010.
  • Ford continues global roll-out of EcoBoost by adding an all-new 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder EcoBoost engine to the Falcon range in 2011, the biggest environmental transformation in Falcon’s fifty-year history.
  • Ford is also introducing an advanced liquid injection LPG system for the Falcon and a clean diesel 2.7L turbocharged V6 engine for Territory.
  • Ford ends plans to build Focus in Australia due to changing global economic conditions. No job losses are expected as a result of the decision.
Ford Australia announced today it is investing $230 million to improve the fuel efficiency and environmental impact of its Australian-made models, including the first global application of Ford’s advanced 2.0-litre 4-cylinder EcoBoost engine in a rear-wheel drive vehicle, the Ford Falcon. This continues the global roll-out of EcoBoost, the new technology from Ford that provides consumers with an affordable engine that delivers up to 20 per cent better fuel economy and 15 per cent fewer CO2 emissions.
Ford Australia is taking two other steps, in addition to EcoBoost, to offer consumers more choices for vehicles with better fuel economy and lower CO2 emissions:

• In 2010, Ford will introduce an advanced liquid-injection LPG system for the Ford Falcon, providing customers with the most advanced LPG technology on the market and making the Falcon even more attractive to private, taxi and fleet markets.
  • The Ford Territory, the only Australian-made SUV, will receive a clean diesel version of Ford’s 2.7-litre turbocharged V6 engine, giving buyers the choice of an engine which improves fuel economy and reduces greenhouse gases.
Today’s announcement is supported by assistance from the Australian Government’s Green Car Innovation Fund and the Victorian State Government. It is in addition to Ford's previous investment to engineer the company's locally manufactured I6 engine for compliance with Euro IV emission standards.

Starting in 2011, the iconic Falcon, one of the largest-selling brands in automotive history and the first Australian-made car to be awarded a 5-star ANCAP rating, will become one of the greenest family cars in Australia with EcoBoost. Slated for a range of global vehicles – from small cars to large trucks – EcoBoost uses petrol turbocharged direct-injection technology to deliver improved fuel efficiency, emissions and driving performance versus larger displacement engines.

As the first rear-wheel drive car from Ford to receive the 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder EcoBoost, Falcon is benefiting from the One Ford strategy of accelerating products that customers want and value – and then making those products available on a global basis.

“Today’s announcements put Ford Australia in a strong position for profitable growth in today’s auto industry,” said Marin Burela, President & CEO of Ford Australia. “We are ensuring our core Falcon and Territory vehicles will have the most advanced, high-tech and cleanest engines possible. At the same time, this represents the biggest environmental transformation in the fifty-year history of Ford Falcon by giving buyers the newest engine in the Ford Motor Company stable.

"Falcon customers will now have the choice of either the continually popular I6 engine, which will be Euro IV compliant, or one of the first global applications of Ford's EcoBoost, 2.0-litre 4-cylinder engines, while in a similar timeframe Territory customers will be able to access Ford's world-class clean diesel engine technology," Burela continued.

Ford Australia also announced that as a result of changing global economic conditions, the company has ended plans to manufacture the Ford Focus in Australia. After assessing the global requirements and costs of producing the next Focus in Australia, Ford determined that the changing economic conditions meant it could not make a business case for profitably manufacturing the car at its operations outside of Melbourne.

Ford’s new strategy allows the company to economically source small cars for the Australian market from overseas locations, while investing in leading-edge technologies to serve its core Falcon and Territory customers. The decision to not make the Focus in Australia will not result in any job losses.

“Although difficult, this is the right decision for Ford Australia,” said Burela. “Ford Australia has a strong commitment to manufacturing in this country built on ongoing support from employees, customers, dealers, suppliers and government. Our investments today demonstrate not only our commitment to address climate change – but to bringing leading edge technologies to the Australian market.

"Ford is fully committed to working towards fuel economy leadership in every segment in which we compete, across local and imported vehicles. In fact, later this year we will introduce the most fuel-efficient vehicle in Australia when we launch the Fiesta ECOnetic, which will be more economical than hybrids at only 3.7L/100km," said Burela.

These significant projects add to a continued program of ongoing investment by Ford in the Australian market, including:

• More than $500 million investment in the current FG Falcon range of vehicles.
  • Leading design and engineering work on Ford’s next generation compact pickup truck, which will eventually be sold in more than 100 countries.
  • More than $80 million invested at the Lara Proving Ground, including building the largest environmental wind tunnel in the Southern Hemisphere.
  • $21 million investment in ongoing production of the company's iconic I6 engine, which will become Euro IV compliant in mid-2010.
“Ford is the only local manufacturer to increase market share in Australia over the past year. Last month, we reinstated two non-production days back into the production schedule as a result of rising demands. In June, Falcon Ute sales were their best since June 2006, the Falcon XR had its best monthly sales on record, and demand for the new-look Territory has exceeded our expectations” said Burela.

About EcoBoost
The EcoBoost program is part of Ford’s ongoing and wide-ranging global initiative to deliver fuel-efficient powertrain systems with the power and performance found in larger-displacement engines. EcoBoost will be offered on Ford vehicles throughout the world. On sale now in select Ford vehicles in North America, more than 90 per cent of Ford’s North American nameplates will be available with EcoBoost by 2013.

The key to the EcoBoost system is the harmony between the turbochargers and direct-injection fuel system. The turbochargers recover energy from the exhaust that otherwise would have been wasted and put it back in the engine to gain efficiency. Simply, the turbocharging system puts more air into the engine for more power. A compressor increases or “boosts” the pressure of the air entering the engine. An intercooler reduces the air temperature before it enters the engine.

About LPG
The liquid injection LPG engine for Falcon is the most advanced LPG technology on the market. By injecting liquid LPG directly into each intake track, the system delivers better fuel economy, reduced CO2 and improved performance through a more precise metering of fuel to the engine. Initial analysis indicates liquid injection LPG technology can reduce CO2 levels 12 per cent or more compared to current LPG technology.

About Clean Diesel
Technology advancements are reducing the tailpipe emissions that diesel engines traditionally produce. Buyers of Ford's Australian-made Territory SUV will be able to get a clean diesel option that generates fewer greenhouse gasses, while at the same time giving them better fuel economy performance than comparable petrol-driven engines. Clean diesel variants of a new 2.7-litre V6 engine will reduce CO2 by up to 25 per cent from six cylinder petrol engines.

Source: Ford Media

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wounder if the new 4cy falcon will vibrate like all gas fg falcons do,,
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Can't say im too keen on a turbo 4cyl in a 1800 odd kg falcon... But on the other hand it's at least good to see that they reconise the I6 as a good engine and have put some money into it. Funny no mention on any V8(s) though...
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
Can't say im too keen on a turbo 4cyl in a 1800 odd kg falcon... But on the other hand it's at least good to see that they reconise the I6 as a good engine and have put some money into it. Funny no mention on any V8(s) though...

You would think they wouldn't want to mention a replacement a year before its replacement comes on board.
Old 24-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

People don't seem to realise the four cylinder engine has more power than the existing I6 and nearly matches it for torque.

They way i read it, the four cylinder is optional over the upgraded six clyinder.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
People don't seem to realise the four cylinder engine has more power than the existing I6 and nearly matches it for torque.

huh? the 4T is 325nM and 170kw least from other sources. I6 is 195kw and 391nM on 91 ron. More like it'll match the base commo for power and torque.

The reduction in weight will benefit the 4T.
Old 24-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
mcnamg

Ford is quoting 205kw and 380Nm
mcnamg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

gotta link? I seem to be only reading 170/325 numbers.
Old 24-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shame no diesel option for the Falcon sedan, or more specifically, the Falcon Utility range.
Old 24-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Yeah that's a bit gay, no diesel option for the Falcon ute, and while I'm at it, where the bloody hell did the RTV go? I would have thought RTV + diesel = win.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #11
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Guess ford is looking after Mondeo and Ranger by not offering Diesel falcon.

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #12
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePistonHead
Guess ford is looking after Mondeo and Ranger by not offering Diesel falcon.
which sux becaus the 2.7 in the falc and the ute would be an absolute cracker.........
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #13
Spaniard

Good to hear that Ford are improving the engine lineup but it is a bit of a let down without some more diesel options.

Engineering a diesel engine to mount into the Falcon (or engineering the Falcon to have a diesel engine mounted) might have been a bit costly also, which is understandable. Hopefully they will think about it further in the future as it is (I believe) a viable option and give the Falcon an edge.
Spaniard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #14
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
which sux becaus the 2.7 in the falc and the ute would be an absolute cracker.........
The diesel will eventually find its way into Falcon.

Look at it this way, the USA isn't Falcon's intended export market. Europe is. The i4T, i6T and Diesel will sell in Europe, and the V8 will be for Middle Eastern and Australian consumption.

Territory will be testing the water. After that, it is a freeforall.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #15
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude

Look at it this way, the USA isn't Falcon's intended export market. Europe is. The i4T, i6T and Diesel will sell in Europe, and the V8 will be for Middle Eastern and Australian consumption.

Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #16
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton

Paxton, I like what your saying!
i4T & i6T & V6TD for Europe
V8 for Middle East

For those that doubt the Ecoboost 4 consider this. An i4T with 170kW/320Nm and a weight reduction of 50kg to 1650kg, aided with either a 6spd DSG or 6spd ZF will be much quicker than a current GM Commodore V6. Add in a likely 8.0L economy and it's a winner!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #17
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
gotta link? I seem to be only reading 170/325 numbers.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2009...onrunner-15971
Old 24-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #18
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

ok, thanks.
Old 24-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #19
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
The US Ford article I read on 22 July stated the actual figure hasn't been quanitified, but the target is 230hp/240ftlb.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 12:01 AM   #20
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
The US Ford article I read on 22 July stated the actual figure hasn't been quanitified, but the target is 230hp/240ftlb.
Hows holdens export program looking wally? remember? the one you were crowing about?

Old 25-07-2009, 12:01 AM   #21
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally

Nothing is set in stone at this stage, it's all speculation until Ford Australia make an official announcement. The idea was to show the resident "Negative Nellies" there is more than one possibility.
Old 25-07-2009, 12:10 AM   #22
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

The power figure (whatever it ends up) will need to be on 95ron. This could put people off, but then again there is always the LILPG model.
Old 25-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #23
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
CAMRY's....cars for people that have given up on life.
4cyl and Diesel falcons... cars for people that have given up on life.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #24
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_v
very funny barry....but hardly relevant. The problem with the camry isn't the number of cyclinders its engine has, it's that its a camry LOL! Uninsipring, underpreforming white goods barely competent enough to get from A to B.

Even with not a single mule running i can gurantee Ford Aus (or ford globally for that matter) would never release a new car like a camry. Its not in their nature to let that happen.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #25
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Barry_v, have you driven a modern diesel car? I would like to think that you haven't judging by your comment. You'd be quite surprised how that can push you back in your chair with the acceleration they have thanks to the bags of torque they possess. And that's in any gear from about 1750rpm onwards.
Old 25-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #26
glxr380
xm super pursuit

It's an odd decision. I have no doubt that the 2.0l engine will put out some power, the numbers being stated put it in the realms of Mitsi EVO and Subi STi. Those types of engine are impressive, however I just can't see them as practicle in a large car. Those types of engines are very highly strung, require heaps of servicing (5000kM service intervals usually) and plain don't offer the kind of effortless no fuss everyday driving experience the type of person who buys a Falcon expects. Fords 'green' engine choice has to be a diesel. A diesel will offer that kind of driving experience. Don't bag diesels. Modern diesels a bloody fantastic engines.

Great to see the IL6 keeps on, and I predict the majority of Falcons sold will have the IL6. The biggest purchaser of the Falcon 4 will be government and government agency fleet buyers. The fleet dept. buyers won't be the ones driving them. The people driving them will wish they had the 6. Reasale on 4cyl Falcons will be a disaster.

Hopefully the 4 cyl Falcon is an export strategy in which case it's success or otherwise in Australia is less relevent provided it works for the export markets. But then if were talking Europe then again diesel's the way to go. So still very confused by Fords direction here.

This also creates a headache for some of the authorities with their 'no turbo' laws for young drivers.

Whilst I am perplexed by Fords announcement, I hope it works. There's a lot riding on it including the jobs of some of my friends and family.
My Delivery Project
glxr380 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #27
Thankfull
Banned

Quote:
LOL.....Give me a direct injection LPG V8 ...or give me Death!
Thankfull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #28
Thankfull
Banned

Quote:
Barry_v for Prime Minister....!
Thankfull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #29
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankfull
Barry_v for Prime Minister....!

.....of the Soviet Union.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #30
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Knocking the four cylinder ecoboost and diesel engines is pointless when the I6 is still available alongside, if you don't like them, don't buy them, simple.

The fact they will open a whole new new market of new age tree huggers to Ford and make our brand of choice more profitable is beside the point eh....