Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Swordie

Default 4cyl Falcon - Who will buy one?

Guys,

Who's going to buy one? Sound like 4cyl turbo is the future judging by BMW.

I've driven BMW F20 118i, I was impressed.

Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 4cyl Falcon - Who will buy one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie
Guys,

Who's going to buy one? Sound like 4cyl turbo is the future judging by BMW.

I've driven BMW F20 118i, I was impressed.
By my standards a 4cyl is only half an engine - with or without forced induction !
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Who's going to buy one? Anyone who enjoys V8 levels of torque (from the late 90s) with the running costs of a 4cyl, in a large car.
Old 30-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle
By my standards a 4cyl is only half an engine - with or without forced induction !
So which FG2 V8 are you buying?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
Whiskeyonesix

I think... give it 5 years, and the only Falcon you'll be able to buy will be some sort of long-wheelbase Mondeo with the 4-pot engine.

I know that smaller turbo'd engines are the future, but I feel that Ford is trading Reliability for Economy and the need to keep the environmentalists happy.
I know there's plenty of power on hand in these units but the long-term reliability worries me- I just don't think these engines are built to last any more than 150,000 kms - I mean why would they have to?
You buy a new car from Ford on 5-year finance, roll it for 5 years (warrenty covers everything of course) and at the end of the term, trade it in for buttons for another new car and repeat...

BMW always used to be known for their excellent straight-6 engines and are now shouting the praises of their 4-pot lumps? Sounds like someone we know

New brake switch at 203k+211k, new Discs and Pads + service at 212k
Whiskeyonesix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
mcnamg

The people who will buy it are those who still want a large family sedan who dont care about whats under the bonnet as long as its got enough power to move them along with the rest of traffic and uses as little fuel as possible which is the majority of car buyers
mcnamg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh great, login this morning and find this, ( no offence to op but think I`ll go be sick now )
Will be a sad sad day if the ol falcon goes down this path..
Humanity as we know it will cease to exist
may as well go shopping for adult nappys while there still cheap.
Tree huggers will have won again ypu know that yeah ?
I do my bit for the envirement but geez, how much can a koala bear ?

ps: only milk and juice come in 2 ltrs

Last edited by Mickxr8; 30-12-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: missed a bit
Mickxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Who's going to buy one? Anyone who enjoys V8 levels of torque (from the late 90s) with the running costs of a 4cyl, in a large car.
500+ NM - and with engine braking unaffected by wastegate blow-off?? I seriously doubt that !!!
Old 30-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
So which FG2 V8 are you buying?
If I wast to divest my trusty BA XR8 - the budget would demand the GS.
Old 30-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
500+ NM - and with engine braking unaffected by wastegate blow-off?? I seriously doubt that !!!
Did you read the part where I said late 90s? I had it in brackets, in case you're wondering.
Old 30-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
raptorv8
Banned

Why do some people assume it will be unreliable or won't last? What's this assumption based on?

If Americans are creaming over the Eco boost 6 in a 3 tonne f truck I'm pretty confident an Eco boost 4 will work in a falcon and do a bloody good job.

Will I buy one? No but I probably won't ever buy another new falcon as for me it makes more sense to stick with my new land rover discovery for kid carting duties and long trips, and the wife will stick to her fiestas for her run around as it's easier to load kids into than a falcon on the rare occasion she needs to.
raptorv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Although I have no plans on buying a new falcon, in the future I would buy a 4cyl falcon over a 6cyl falcon. If it offers cheaper running costs and similar performance you would be made not to. All manufacturers will be/ are going down the path of smaller forced induction engines, even FPV with the 5l V8. Our Aussie 6 is a great engine but it's time is nearly up.
Old 30-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If I was in the market for a new Falcon, considering it has more power and similar torque to an AU Falcon which was seen as good in the early 2000s, I'd be all over it.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If I wast to divest my trusty BA XR8 - the budget would demand the GS.
So basically you will not be buying a new 4 cylinder Falcon......or a V8......

You do realise that if no one buys 4 cylinder falcons there will not be any more V8s in the future.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
billy302

Well, I hope it sells well, and it should have a performance option too.
For the doubters, think back to the Sierra Cosworth of the late 80's.
Even Dick Johnson said nothing climbed the mountain Like they did.
My daughter owns a Nissan 200sx Turbo and believe me no standard I6 normally aspirated Falcon will keep up with that.
Turbo's are great, look what they did for the truck industry.
You even get them on some small trucks now.
billy302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #16
Carby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VCLEVO
Although I have no plans on buying a new falcon, in the future I would buy a 4cyl falcon over a 6cyl falcon. If it offers cheaper running costs and similar performance you would be made not to. All manufacturers will be/ are going down the path of smaller forced induction engines, even FPV with the 5l V8. Our Aussie 6 is a great engine but it's time is nearly up.
So would you consider an LPGi Falcon - it has cheaper running costs and more power and Torque ?
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I'd certainly consider one.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 10 year old screws his nose up at food which doesn't sound appealing. He won't try it until I force him to try and even then he's already made his mind up it's rubbish before he's tried it. I suspect this will be the attitude people will take when it comes to a 4cyl falcon. Never mind the amount Of technology and engineering that gone into it. if it ain't an I6 or V8 and doesn't have rwd, then it must be rubbish.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #19
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
My 10 year old screws his nose up at food which doesn't sound appealing. He won't try it until I force him to try and even then he's already made his mind up it's rubbish before he's tried it. I suspect this will be the attitude people will take when it comes to a 4cyl falcon. Never mind the amount Of technology and engineering that gone into it. if it ain't an I6 or V8 and doesn't have rwd, then it must be rubbish.
Fleets and the average person doesn't care about RWD or V8s. I learnt that when a guy I work with had a Holden V8 supercar t shirt. Always goes to the races. He drives a Camry. Enough said.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #20
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would still go for the petrol I6 personally - familiarity, ease of maintenance and proven longevity. Plus, they won't be around forever so I wouldn't mind snapping one up new while they are still being made. As good as the turbo 4 sounds, I doubt it would have the effortless cruising ability of the I6 & V8s which is what Falcons do best.
Old 30-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #21
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty
Fleets and the average person doesn't care about RWD or V8s. I learnt that when a guy I work with had a Holden V8 supercar t shirt. Always goes to the races. He drives a Camry. Enough said.
Sounds like my mate who I go to the Clipsal 500 with every year. He apparently lives and breaths red, but has never owned a Holden in his life! He might have an excuse at the moment as he has a company car (Rav 4), but if he didn't have that, I'm sure he'd buy a Commodore for himself.

As for me, the EL is up for replacement next year at some stage if we can afford it. The choices are all brand new cars:
  • EcoBoost Falcon
  • LiLPG Falcon
  • Diesel Territory
  • Diesel Ranger
All depends on price, towing capacity, features and what feels right at the time of test drive for our family. We need a large car for carting the (soon to be) family around. All depends on what comes out on top.
Old 30-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #22
yanknbank
Very regular

No one here I'm afraid. It'll be a G6ET II for me sometime within the next six months.
Old 30-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #23
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My gut instinct tells me a lot of people will buy them.

Look at the success of Holden's Cruze. If Ford find a happy median between the Mondeo's size & weight and the Falcon's more traditional looks, combined with an engine that supports the needs of a growing family and business use. You've won half the battle.

Unless, you're a Ford-Nut -- you're not going to care what the badge says when it comes to purchasing a new vehicle. In fact, you're more likely to sell more mid-size sedans with smaller engines to female buyers, cost conservative buyers and the business sector than larger 6 cylinder cars.

There's a lot of Camrys driving around these days. And the sales figures are reflecting the trends towards smaller vehicles.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #24
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I would buy one. My XR50 is my first 6 cylinder car. I've been driving 4 cylinders all my life. My previous car was a 2L 4 cyl WRX with lots of bolt ons to make it quicker. Had it for over 10 years. Turbo 4 cyl cars are great.
But I'm really enjoying the lazy power of the 6 plus it's big and quiet.
Old 30-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #25
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Fleets and more Fleets, people who care what their fuel bills are, people who care for the environment but want a larger car.

I think the big seller will be a ecoboost ute. Sedan like comfort & saftey, low running costs.

Remember ecoboost will benefit from the proven lower running costs of all of the bits of a Falcon that aren't the motor.

My 2c.
Old 30-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #26
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
Fleets and more Fleets, people who care what their fuel bills are, people who care for the environment but want a larger car.

I think the big seller will be a ecoboost ute. Sedan like comfort & saftey, low running costs.

Remember ecoboost will benefit from the proven lower running costs of all of the bits of a Falcon that aren't the motor.

My 2c.
Ecoboost won't be available in utes.

You're spot on with the fleets, though. That's the primary sector it was aimed at. If Ford are sharper with pricing than Toyota are with their Camry Hybrid then over time I think it'll be a hit.
Old 30-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #27
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the line-up stays the way they have ecoboost Falcon, that being XT/G6/G6E, not a whole lot of the retail public will buy it. I have no idea why Ford have not made the XR part of the line up, I really hope it will happen sometime soon. The Joe Blow off the street who wants a Falcon usually buys an XR, not an XT/G series. Actually, never buys an XT anymore. I've seen it time and time again. Please Ford bring the ecoboost in an XR (XR4, whatever you want to call it) We will have a very unique vehicle, an affordable rear wheel drive four cylinder large vehicle.
Old 30-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #28
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

I personally wouldnt buy one, but i am glad they are going to have the option, and as said will be targetted at fleets and i hope they buy up big.
Will love when you see the riced up falcon in a few years going zutututututututut up the road
Old 30-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #29
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
If the line-up stays the way they have ecoboost Falcon, that being XT/G6/G6E, not a whole lot of the retail public will buy it. I have no idea why Ford have not made the XR part of the line up, I really hope it will happen sometime soon. The Joe Blow off the street who wants a Falcon usually buys an XR, not an XT/G series. Actually, never buys an XT anymore. I've seen it time and time again. Please Ford bring the ecoboost in an XR (XR4, whatever you want to call it) We will have a very unique vehicle, an affordable rear wheel drive four cylinder large vehicle.
I agree 110%.... HUGE mistake not putting it in there best selling model the XR. For the love of god, who made such a dumb call? And I don’t want to hear "XR is meant to be something special".. It hasn't been that for many years now!! They didn't even have to change the name, still call it XR6 (not like they changed G6E name)..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #30
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
The way they may be looking at it is the XR being the sports model, and Ecoboost being de-tuned to sit below the petrol six, that combination would probably damage XR's brand more than anything?

The XR has the option of three motors, G-series has the option of four motors. The XT also has three options albeit different to XR's three. They sort of overlap in a good way.