Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2006, 11:25 PM   #1
Panda
XR6 and XR8 Club of QLD

Default Had an accident - other guy didn't stop

I was heading home after night shift this morning and had an accident on a roundabout. Luckily I was in my work ute ( 1982 Hilux ute ) not the XR.

I was in the right lane, turning right and there was a car in the left lane, almost beside me. As we both entered the roundabout (2 lane roundabout), I had to move left to follow the curve of the roundabout, but the other driver did not follow the curve of the roundabout, he drove straight through it (crossing into my lane). The front left corner of my car hit his car near the drivers side rear tyre which spun him to the right, directly in front of me. I then hit him again in the drivers door.

The momentum forced his car onto the grassed area of the roundabout where he came to a stop. I was also stopped, on the inside lane of the roundabout. I turned my hazard lights on and was getting out of the car to make sure he was not hurt and exchange details etc when I noticed his car start to move off. Assuming he was moving to a safer location to exchange details I followed him. I slowed down and pulled over to the side of the road but the other car kept on going. Not knowing what was going on, I followed him again, staying well behind him and trying to attract his attention by flashing my lights and honking my horn but he just continued driving.

I rang the Gladstone Police station and informed them of what had happened, and also passed on the vehicle details, rego number etc. They informed me that I had made all reasonable attempts to follow the law and told me to come to the station and make a report, so I drove straight there. The police told me that they didn't have a car available to persue the other car, but on my way to the police station I saw a couple of police on the side of the road with a hand-held laser running a speed trap. :

So, if any Central Queenslanders in the Gladstone area see a white VN or VP Commodore ute with some substantial damage down the drivers side - Registration Number 290 FTT send me a PM or email.

Panda

Old 21-01-2006, 11:29 PM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

get onto you insurer like asap!, tell them EVERYTHING.

they'll chase it all up and repair yours.....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2006, 11:30 PM   #3
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

The dirty swine!!!! And it is only worst being some crap box dunnydore!! In VIC would be brief for not complying with Section 61 of the Road Safety Act 1986, also fail to stop, fail to render assistance, fail to report, and careless driving and should be charge "drive manner commodore"!!
Old 21-01-2006, 11:36 PM   #4
gtfpv
GT

thats disgusting man . hope they get him but the car was probably stolen or about to be reported stolen by the unliscenced drunken owner . nothing will happen you will have to wear it mate. been there. but it is worse for you as you got the rego i did not.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2006, 11:39 PM   #5
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hopefully the police get off there ИИИИ and do something and bring him in, and u can than get ur insurance company onto him quick smart. bad luck man, i dont believe some ppl have the nerve to do something like that, than run
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2006, 11:43 PM   #6
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Bad luck mate, i hope the people that did it get what's owed to them. It's a pitty that the law usually favours the criminals.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 01:14 AM   #7
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Been there, done that. The guy was probably ИИИИed/high as hell on something/stolen car. At least you got details, so it'll be easy to follow up. With any luck he'll report it stolen and just rape himself.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 01:21 AM   #8
EL_futuraistic

i had a similar incident happen to me a few years ago. As long as you got their rego, the police will contact them and get their side fo the story.... You insurance company will need their details which the police should give you after they have spoken to the other driver.

unfortunately i recieved minimal co-operation from VicPol when i was hit, and with only 3rd part insurance i had a smashed car and no-compensation. Chances are the person had no insurance so your insurance company should cover the incident provided you have his/her details....... My insurance at the time AAMI requried me to have a letter from the other driver stating this, after numerous attempts to get this i resorted to a solicitor letter, which got me a favourable result.

Good Luck With It.... just dont take no for an answer
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 05:51 AM   #9
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Sorry to hear this has happen.These type of accident happen all the time at work. Another person hit one of the company vehicle than drive off like nothing happen. It's all to common these day.
Old 22-01-2006, 08:30 AM   #10
I bleed ford
351 cubes of power

i live in rocky mate so i'll keep an eye out here....dirty bastard
Old 22-01-2006, 09:14 AM   #11
Armageddon Designs
Automotive Graphic artist

The guy was probably ИИИИed as a nit and didn't want to get done for Drink Driving as well as the damage, so he thought it would be better to shoot through and let the cops catch up with him later!

: ARMAGEDDON DESIGNS - NEW SITE NOW ONLINE :

Armageddon Designs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 11:39 AM   #12
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
The dirty swine!!!! And it is only worst being some crap box dunnydore!! In VIC would be brief for not complying with Section 61 of the Road Safety Act 1986, also fail to stop, fail to render assistance, fail to report, and careless driving and should be charge "drive manner commodore"!!
Yeah he will get done for changing lanes and leaving a scene. Which is probablty better (in his opinion) than drink driving.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 11:55 AM   #13
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armageddon
The guy was probably ИИИИed as a nit and didn't want to get done for Drink Driving as well as the damage, so he thought it would be better to shoot through and let the cops catch up with him later!
its a shame but this statement is so true . sux.
Old 22-01-2006, 12:19 PM   #14
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda
The police told me that they didn't have a car available to persue the other car, but on my way to the police station I saw a couple of police on the side of the road with a hand-held laser running a speed trap. : Panda
I think this one sentence out of your post says it all about the state of policing Australia wide. And people wonder why crims get an armchair ride!!

Any update? Good luck, hope it works out for you.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 12:44 PM   #15
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
I think this one sentence out of your post says it all about the state of policing Australia wide. And people wonder why crims get an armchair ride!!

Any update? Good luck, hope it works out for you.
It is rather easy for one not in a field to assume they know how to do a job and secondly pass judgement. Although hard I usaully try to sit back, be impartial and get all the facts before criticising some for their apparent inaction.

I am sure that who ever took the reports for this minor car accident have placed a KALOF on vehicle and when they have a chance will go and chase up and speak to the offending driver. Policing is not like Mt Thomas.
Old 22-01-2006, 01:32 PM   #16
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

I'll keep my eyes open down here around Boyne.
I've seen too many people cut the roundabouts in town & it's too bad that you've been got.
For all the bleating in the Observer about police getting out on the road to crack down on these offences & the so-called public education, it's an absolute joke.
Which roundabout was it??

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 01:46 PM   #17
Voodoo65
Starter Motor

Default Details

As long as you have to other vehicle details, and even better the Police report of those details. That is all your insurance needs to repair your vehicle with a not at fault claim. IE you DON'T PAY..... : :eclipsee_ :

"There's no substitute for Cubic Inches"
Voodoo65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 06:30 PM   #18
Panda
XR6 and XR8 Club of QLD

Thumbs up Good Result !!

Well, I've been contacted by the police officer who took my statement after the accident....they found the guy, and he and I have been in contact.

Get this...HE DIDN'T KNOW HE HAD EVEN HIT ME. His story is that he was looking at the cars in Reef City Ford (as we all do) and wasn't concentrating on the road. He went straight through the roundabout and thought that he hit the kerb and ended up on the grassed area because of that impact with the kerb. He said that he saw me stopped and assumed that I had stopped to help, but because he was OK he just drove off the roundabout and continued on his way.

I doubted his story and asked him a few times how you could not notice you had just been hit by another car. He stuck to his story, so I guess I have to believe him. The whole thing made sense though when he said "...I'm a 72 year old pensioner...". (Don't flame me - I know there are some good older drivers out there) He honestly did not know!!! :

Anyway, he has agreed to pay for damages to my ute and the police are going to charge him with 'Driving with Undue Care and Attention' and 'Leaving the Scene of an Accident'.

I don't mean to be nasty, but personally I hope he looses his license. What if I were on a motorbike instead of in the ute? Or didn't have a bullbar? Or worse still, in my XR? Regardless, that's out of my hands now.

Thanks for the kind remarks,
Panda
Old 22-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #19
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
I don't mean to be nasty, but personally I hope he looses his license. What if I were on a motorbike instead of in the ute? Or didn't have a bullbar? Or worse still, in my XR? Regardless, that's out of my hands now.
agree fullly, if he's so senile that he cant tell he had an accident then he shouldnt be on the road.........full stop.

like you said, if you were on a bike you could have been killed..... and he would have just kept right on going
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #20
gtfpv
GT

i'd say 72 with a very high IQ. GOT OFF WITH D U I and blames his age haha. anyhow looks good for you. your lucky. and hats off to the police.
Old 22-01-2006, 07:08 PM   #21
Focused

Quote:
VN or VP Commodore
Surprise surprise...
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 07:33 PM   #22
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco351
Surprise surprise...

Why would you even bother posting that?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #23
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco351
Surprise surprise...
what a waste of a post.
Glad they caught him but seriously you would have to be damn near comatose to not realise u just got slammed in the door next to you by a bullbar impact alone let alone the noise
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 08:49 PM   #24
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:

So he should. While I'm at it a lot of people do what he did on the round about here in Rocky. Some roundabouts I try to steer clear off.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #25
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

So, when he got out of the car he didn't notice the damage??
Something NQR about his story.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 09:58 PM   #26
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Why would you even bother posting that?
Welcome aboard! What an opening post that was! Mate, we are Ford fans but this does not mean we are Holden Haters.......or any other manufacturer for that matter.
We are car fans who happen to drive Fords.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 10:01 PM   #27
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

True to Scottish form you quoted the wrong person!

:baby bott :baby bott :hihi: :baby bott :baby bott
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 10:31 PM   #28
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
True to Scottish form you quoted the wrong person!

:baby bott :baby bott :hihi: :baby bott :baby bott
BLAHAHAHAHAHAH how funny 3000 odd posts hahaha welcome aboard laminge. i so would love to have this scottish chick at my party hahahaha. e
Old 22-01-2006, 10:36 PM   #29
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishxc
Welcome aboard! What an opening post that was! Mate, we are Ford fans but this does not mean we are Holden Haters.......or any other manufacturer for that matter.
We are car fans who happen to drive Fords.
That is one of the most intelligent posts I have seen here. ;)
gmhdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 10:50 PM   #30
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

had someone smash my mirror overtaking over double white lines a couple of weeks back and didn't stop - went to the cops and they said they couldnt charge him with anything because there were no independant witnesses and they couldn't be 100% sure from looking at his car that he caused the damage to mine.

yet they're quite happy to accuse people of things they haven't done when they're in a bad mood and threaten all sorts of things... ИИИ cops.