Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Homer
Poor IT dude

Default VE Series 2

http://www.news.com.ag/index.php?opt...ring&Itemid=37

Not sure on the front end myself, will have to see one on the road.

Homer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Clever Holden, changing nothing and calling it a series II. Last years SIDI change was bigger! No wonder they got in before the Coyote launch.
Old 31-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Suprised how similiar it looks to the current one. Rear ends look Identical. Like the onboard hard drive for music and a flat belly pan for aerodynamics.

At least it should continue to have good resale with such minimal changes.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Elguapo
SY AWD Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Suprised how similiar it looks to the current one. Rear ends look Identical.
Same could be said about the Territory SY II.
Old 31-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Well thats boring...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
Clever Holden, changing nothing and calling it a series II. Last years SIDI change was bigger! No wonder they got in before the Coyote launch.
What you mean like BF => BF2 or AU2 => AU3?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of our family friends is going to be a bit dissapointed with that

he was holding off getting a new car because he wanted the car with the face lift

I might have to keep trying to talk him into getting a falcon now

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Good point. I would point out that in both cases (esp au) it was ford desperately trying to keep an older model car alive in the marketplace. Rightly or wrongly when a model gets old manufacturers do this to keep the appearance of a 'fresh' version. However, the question is while ford retired the au3 and bf2 in pretty short order (in fact the late bf2 xrs were hardly on sale before FG was on its way) will holden do the same?

Moreover, i think in the case of the running changes ford made in the late BF days they were just as significant in mechnical areas as this supposed update..... I'm not averse to this sort of thing but ford is launching some very big stuff in the coming months, not only coyote V8 but into early-mid next year a substantial refresh (FH??) with a new base engine, bodywork/headlight changes, interior updates etc. Basically a VE2 type styling/interior change (if not more) but real mechanical changes too yielding a hell of alot more than 2% lower fuel burn for the base car (try 15% or more).

Given the competitive marketplace, how long the VE has been unchanged (and how far behind it is as a result) this simply isn't good enough in the medium let alone longer term.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
BA - 2002
BAII - 2004
BF - 2005
BFII - 2006

In 4 years Ford had 4 model changes.

In 4 years this is the first model change even tho Holdens had some line changes over the years (alloys added to Omega, new V6 etc).

This should have been done 2 years ago, but it just shows how cash strapped Holden really is..
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Well we all knew it was going to be bland,
I love this little spin, espically considering the vehicle has not changed somewhat,

Modifications included aerodynamic improvements, which lower fuel consumption by reducing the vehicle’s drag co-efficient, and mechanical changes. Omega and Berlina models were also fitted with lower rolling resistance tyres.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

There are some good media features provided there. Arguably, Holden didn't have to change the body too much as they are still selling shedloads of them.

Quite a comprehensive write-up.
Old 31-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #12
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Holden Commodore VE Series II - Model by Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Campbell August 31, 2010 - 11:24AM

Holden's long-awaited update to its successful VE Series has arrived, with the new model featuring styling, equipment and fuel consumption changes across the range.

Aside from a few different colours thrown into the mix, the VE Series II's styling may not look all that different to the old model, but the biggest changes are below the surface.

Here's a breakdown of what each of the new models will offer.

Omega

Inside, the Omega gets the new Holden-iQ system, with a 6.5-inch colour touch-screen display that makes it possible to connect an iPod, mp3 player, USB stick or even wirelessly connect to a Bluetooth-capable phone. The system also offers Holden's "Virtual Changer" storage system that allows owners to rip tracks from up to 15 CDs and store them on the iQ system's internal hard-drive.

The interior gets a spruce up, with a new-look centre stack layout incorporating the colour screen and new ventilation controls.

The base model in the range gets a new front end with a squarer look, including a larger grille, chrome details and hexagonal mesh inserts. It also gets newly designed headlights, while at the rear of the car is a revised boot-lid with integrated "aero-lip spoiler".

The exterior changes help drop fuel consumption by 2 per cent, with the 190kW/290Nm 3.0-litre Omega now boasting a claimed consumption of 9.1 litres per 100 kilometres (down from 9.3L/100km), and CO2 drops from 221g/km to 216g. The Sportwagon version drops from 9.3L/100km to 9.2L, and CO2 drops from 221g/km to 218g.

Omega models powered by LPG used in conjunction with the bigger 3.6-litre V6 engine see no changes in consumption (13.4L/100km) or emissions (217g/km).

Berlina

The next model up in the range builds on the changes applied to the Omega, and the exterior differences include a new grille with a bright chrome crossbar, fog-lights with new surrounds, and a newly designed set of ten-spoke 17-inch alloy wheels.

Inside, the Berlina gets a re-trim with woven fabric inserts and bolstered seats to give a sportier feel.

Berlina sedans retain the 3.0-litre V6 powerplant, with the same fuel consumption and emissions drops as the Omega models, while the Sportwagon sees an improvement of 2 per cent, dropping from 9.6L/100km to 9.4L, and 228g/km to 223g.

As with the Omega, Berlina LPG models see no changes.

Calais

Building on the changes to the Berlina, the luxurious Calais mode sees several further cosmetic changes, including a new front fascia and grille with chrome highlights, a new front bumper design, reshaped projector headlights, chrome moulding on the lower section of the doors, and a revised set of 18-inch ten-spoke alloy wheels.

The Calais is available with the 3.6-litre V6 engine producing 210kW/350Nm, and the sedan's fuel consumption figure drops marginally from 9.9L/100km to 9.8L, while CO2 emissions come down from 236g/km to 234g. The Calais Sportwagon's numbers slip from 10.3L/100km to 9.9 (a 4 per cent improvement), and its CO2 output drops from 245g/km to 236g.

Calais V

The slightly more luxurious Calais V-Series gets larger 19-inch twin five-spoke alloy wheels. It also gets a high-end version of Holden's iQ system, including sat-nav.

The six-cylinder Calais V's consumption drops from 10.1L/100km to 9.8L and emissions slip from 241g/km to 236g. The Calais V Sportwagon drops from 10.3L/100km to 9.9L and CO2 drops from 245g/km to 236g.

V8 versions of the Calais V sedans see the same drops as the automatic SS sedan (listed below), while the Sportwagon improves slightly less than the SS wagon (12.4L/100km; 297g/km).

SV6 and SS

These two models are made from the same cloth - but the SS has the brawn to match its looks, while the SV6 is for buyers who want the sporty look without the hefty V8 fuel consumption.

Both get a new sports front fascia featuring a larger grille and bigger lower air intakes as well as restyled headlamps, while at the rear of the car is the aero lip and a rear spoiler. New 18-inch wheels set the car's styling off even further.

Inside, the SV6 and SS get new front seats with "body-hugging contours" and deep bolsters, while the dash sees a set of new circular air vents that sit above the 6.5-inch multimedia unit. The instrument clusters change depending on the model, with the SV6 getting a "white on grey" finish, while the SS goes for a "white on red" look.

A new gloss black finish around the gear shifter keeps things looking classy, as does a new wrap-around on the interior plastics.

The SV6 manual (only available in sedan) drops its consumption from 10.2L/100km to 9.8L, and CO2 emissions are down from 242g/km to 231g. The SV6 auto sedan now sips 9.8L/100km (down from 10.1L) and emits 234g/km (down from 241g/km). The SV6 Sportwagon also sees drops, with new figures of 9.9L/100km and 236g/km, respectively.

The 6.0-litre V8 SS manual models retain their 270kW/530Nm figures (in manual form, 260kW in auto), but all the other numbers are heading in the right direction. The SS manual sedan's fuel consumption drops from 13.7L/100km to 12.2L, and emissions drop to 288g/km.

The 260kW SS automatic sedan now drinks 12.3L/100km (down from 12.6L), with emissions down to 292g/km. The SS Sportwagon automatic mirrors the sedan's numbers.

SSV

Gets a different treatment to its front end, with new headlamps dominating. Also gets new 19-inch alloy wheels.

Inside, the SSV gets a red finish to its wrap-around look, and it continues from the door-trims to the centre console across the dashboard. It also gets the sat-nav system as standard, which includes live traffic alerts.

Drops in the SSV's vital fuel consumption figures mirror those of the SS, though the SSV offers a manual Sportwagon variant with a fuel consumption figure of 12.2L/100km and emissions of 288g/km.

Caprice

There's no Statesman in the range, but the luxury-laden Caprice has stayed on in order to cart politicians around. Stopping its drivers from getting lost, the Caprice gets the new Holden iQ multimedia system with sat-nav, and also gets a drop in its consumption figures.

The Caprice V6 drops from 10.3L/100km to 9.9L, and emissions slip from 245g/km to 236g/km. The V8-engined V-Series Caprice improves its consumption to 12.3L/100km and emits 292g/km (down from 298g).

Ute

The 3.6-litre Omega Ute has been dropped in favour of the more efficient 3.0-litre variant, with the Ute's claimed consumption dropping from 10.9L/100km in its old skin to just 9.6L in the new version - a saving of 12 per cent.

The Omega LPG model stays as it was, with a usage figure of 13.4L/100km and emissions of 217g/km.

The 3.6-litre V6-powered SV6 Ute's fuel consumption drops to 9.8L/100km (manual) and 9.9L/100km (automatic), with emissions also dropping.

The SS Ute and SSV Ute still sit alongside each other, and both boast a hefty 14 per cent drop in fuel consumption in manual form (down from 14.0L/100km to 12.3L), while the automatic versions of the sports-utes has come down from 12.9L/100km to 12.4L. Carbon emissions have also dropped (291g/km for the manual and 296g/km for the auto).
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...830-1473r.html
Old 31-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #13
cool65
carefactor zero

Because most of these are sold to fleet/goverment, they will not see the E85 pump as Joe Average will be scared of pinging and low performance with only 15% petrol.
For my 2 bob's worth , the calais has stolen an old mazda6 grill. I will give it 6 months before some sort of recall on the touchscreen as there will be heaps of misc. incidents with them. Very lowbuck changes to a 4yo car
cool65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
BA - 2002
BAII - 2004
BF - 2005
BFII - 2006

In 4 years this is the first model change even tho Holdens had some line changes over the years (alloys added to Omega, new V6 etc).

This should have been done 2 years ago, but it just shows how cash strapped Holden really is..
On the other hand it could be viewed that people who have a 3 year old car still have the "current model" which may increase its resale.

Changing model every year is actually somewhat abnormal in the worldwide car industry. BMW, Merc, Audi, Porsche etc. all run a model for many years. Even my datto (Z33) ran from 2002 to 2009. It dropped resale value significantly immediately the Z34 was released.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #15
Poidevin

Dont like the new sports front end, I preffered the old smooth straight look.
The new omega front end looks a lot better though
Poidevin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #16
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poidevin
Dont like the new sports front end, I preffered the old smooth straight look.
The new omega front end looks a lot better though
The base models look like the biggest improvers. I think the Berlina is now the best looking one in the range.
Old 31-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #17
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
BA - 2002
BAII - 2004
BF - 2005
BFII - 2006

2002- VXII~VYI
2004- VYII~VZI
2005- VZII
2006- VE
how many model changes?
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #18
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
2002- VXII~VYI
2004- VYII~VZI
2005- VZII
2006- VE
how many model changes?
Well, that is easy.. 4 changes in 8 years!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #19
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
I should've qualified my comments, Last year chairman, Mark Reuss, said Holden was going to ‘out-engineer’ its rivals with cutting-edge technology. Sorry if I'm feeling a little bewildered by what we're seeing today. I’m sure once I’ll see the ad’s I’ll realize it’s “the most significant advance to the automobile since the invention of marketing”.

But if you like we can turn this into a ****ing contest.
Old 31-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #20
burnz
VFII SS UTE

7 changes in 8yrs
Old 31-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #21
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Exterior metal changes were never on the cards due to the cost of stamping.
Exterior changes were limited to plastic.
Interior was where the main criticism was and that is where it looks like they have spent the time.
It looks better but I hope the materials are of better quality.
Overall a needed refresh but that is all it is, not a complete model update.
Old 31-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #22
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
7 changes in 8yrs
That is not what your own listed had???
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #23
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
That is not what your own listed had???
alltho i was refering to bfiipersuits models, i know what your getting at..

but VXII, VYI, VYII, VZI, VZII, VEI, VEII..
Old 31-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...830-14733.html

Quote:
Holden launches new Commodore BARRY PARK
August 31, 2010 - 6:02AM

It may not look much different, but Australia's best-selling car has had a major cabin makeover.

HOLDEN has given the cabin of its best-selling Commodore a big technology upgrade, with a new in-car entertainment system that includes touch-screen menus, a USB interface and a smart satellite navigation system that can guide the driver around traffic jams.

In the first styling revisions to the VE Commodore since its launch in 2006, Holden appears to have spent most of its money on the car's cabin, which has been criticised for its dated looks. The exterior styling changes to the car are subtle, limited mainly to new bumper, headlight and grille treatments.

When it joins showrooms next month, the VE Series II Commodore will include a hard-drive multimedia system that can store as many as 15 music CDs for playback, as well as featuring integration for plug-in music devices. More expensive models will get the smart satellite navigation system to beat traffic jams, and a reversing camera.

Holden says the 6.5-inch LCD multimedia screen was benchmarked against ''high-end multimedia products such as computers, phones and video games'' to hone its on-screen functions.

The new Commodore will also be slightly more fuel-efficient and will be capable of running on a mixture of 15 per cent petrol and 85 per cent ethanol.

Engineers have given the Commodore a flat underbelly to cut wind resistance and help the sedan and wagon models cut through the air a lot better, saving fuel. A switch to lower rolling resistance tyres on some models has squeezed out even more savings at the pump, with gains in fuel economy ranging from 2 per cent for the 3.0-litre V6 version up to 12 per cent for the bigger 6.0-litre V8 models.

Other items that help optimise fuel efficiency include an air-conditioning compressor that can detach itself from the engine when not in use, and lower idle speeds on the 3.6-litre V6.

The changes to the Commodore are the most significant since the introduction of a more fuel-efficient 3.0-litre engine in August last year.

Externally, there's a redesigned front fascia across the range that includes subtly restyled headlights. Lesser models get a more pronounced bumper that splits into horizontal slashes for the foglights, while sporting models get a muscle-bound vertical treatment.

Premium models get a blacked-out lower air dam that runs like a slash right across the face. Meanwhile, the circular lion badge gracing the front of all models appears to have grown in size.

Inside, the Commodore gains a much stronger ''pilot'' focus. Holden says this includes a higher-mounted display screen - one of the main criticisms of the outgoing VE model was that the screen was mounted too low on the centre console, requiring drivers to take their eyes a long way off the road to read it - to better positioned controls and air vents.

The interiors carry over the horizontal theme for more pedestrian models and a vertical one for more sporty versions, although the horizontal theme now looks a lot more smooth and flowing.

All interiors have the multi-media screen sitting below high-mounted air-conditioning vents in the centre of the dash - on cheaper models, the vents are square, while on sportier models, they are round.

Meanwhile, the sporting models lose the chunky dash-mounted LED gauges, but disappointingly, the thumb-pinching, plastic handbrake remains.

There has also been a focus on perceived quality in the cabin, Holden says, alluding to a change in the materials used inside the cabin.

The company has not released details on whether the new Commodore will also get updates to its suspension and steering. The car received an engine update last year.

Holden will release more details about its updated VE Series II and long-wheelbase WM Series II range later this morning.
Old 31-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #25
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

First look: ‘Clever’ Commodore evolves

Quote:
Flex fuel ability, improved connectivity and more efficiency underpin MY11 Series II
31 August 2010
By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS
GM HOLDEN has revealed basic details of its VE Series II facelift, almost two weeks ahead of its official national launch on September 10.

But the 2011 model year Commodore family’s full specification, technical and pricing details will have to wait until then.

Visually, the makeover is minor, bringing a new squarer front fascia incorporating revised headlight shapes, more prominent grille and bumper treatments, an ‘aero lip’ detail on the sedan’s boot lid, redesigned alloys on some models, and four additional colours (a bright red, mid-tone grey, beige and bright yellow).

Inside, there are three distinct ‘centre stacks’, mouldings, decorations and illumination colours depending on base, sports and luxury grades, a more ‘pilot orientated’ driving position, fresh features and options, a restyled heater/ventilation/air-conditioning control centre, and an emphasis on quality and craftsmanship.

Of arguably more importance is flex-fuel capability for models fitted with the 3.0-litre SIDI (Spark Ignition Direct Injection) V6 and 6.0-litre Gen-IV V8 in an effort to cut carbon dioxide emissions.

Calling it a “major step forward”, Holden says both engines can run on any petrol from 100 per cent pure unleaded, up to 85 per cent bio-ethanol (E85) for a sizeable increase in performance and up to a 40 per cent reduction in CO2 pollution compared to a regular 3.0L or 6.0L powerplant.

Aiding the flex-fuel cause are 31 Caltex service stations that now offer “Bio E-Flex fuel” (as it is branded by the petroleum company) in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney. This will increase to 100 sites from next year.

However, while this makes the VE Series II the first Australian-made car to offer this technology, the volume-selling 3.6-litre SIDI V6 will not go flex-fuel capable until 2012.

Even without ethanol, a raft of other improvements have lowered the sedan’s consumption while raising the V6 models in the Federal Government’s Green Vehicle Guide to a four-star rating.

Also contributing to the lower consumption figures are improved aerodynamics, including better underfloor air flow panels (except on base Omega), reduced trim height on Omega and Berlina, airfoils fitted to the front of the Omega, Berlina and Calais sedan rear wheel housings, the redesigned boot lid, and a more aero-friendly front undertray.

Mechanically, the inclusion of a clutched air-conditioning compressor so it does not pump when it is switched off, and a slightly lower engine idle speed on the 3.6L SIDI V6, help lessen petrol use.

As a consequence of all these measures, the 3.0L SIDI V6’s combined fuel consumption average is now down by two per cent to 9.1L/100km (formerly 9.3), the 3.6L SIDI V6 owner will now benefit from a three per cent economy gain (down to approximately 9.6L/100km from 9.9) and the 6.0L V8’s thirst drops six per cent (from 13.9L/100km to about 13.1).

However, there are no economy improvements for LPG models.

The Omega ute finally ditches the old 180kW/330Nm 3.6L Alloytec V6/four-speed automatic gearbox combination for the much more advanced 3.0L SIDI V6/six-speed auto pairing that the rest of the VE range equivalents received in September 2009, resulting in a 12 per cent improvement in petrol consumption.

Another development in line with the times is the adoption of the Holden-iQ infotainment system – a standard fitment touch-screen device that forms part of a redesigned dashboard.

Among its features are the ability to store CDs on an internal flash drive (not standard on Omega), along with full Bluetooth, USB and iPod/MP3 integration.

On higher-end models it will also support a new advanced high-clarity full-colour mapping sat-nav system with real-time traffic condition info and voice control.

A reverse camera is also present on all models with the exception of the ute.

Breaking down the models, the Omega gains a 6.5-inch centre screen and 16-inch alloy wheels on top of the features already mentioned.

As with previous models, the mid-level Berlina adds a chrome crossbar, its own fog light surrounds, 17-inch alloys and different interior trim.

The Calais scores a heavy chrome bonnet base, a smattering of greater brightwork throughout the body and 18-inch alloys – an inch under the Calais V-Series’ wheels.

Sportier models get a “more muscular look”, according to Holden, with deeply bolstered seats on both the SV6 and SS, circular air vents, a ‘sports’ instrumentation pack and racier cabin detailing. The SS V-Series also gets the Calais headlight treatment and its own 19-inch wheel design.

Old 31-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Interior pics from:

http://theage.drive.com.au/photogall...electedImage=1

Old 31-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #27
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Auto SS AFM now burns more (0.1L/100km but still) than the manual non-AFM?? This is quite interesting since before the afm auto car had a big advantage in efficiency. Although not a hard and fast rule it is often the case that auto cars are now burning less than manual equivalents, due to gear spacing and computer smarts in modern autos. Holden has reversed this in a couple of models (V8 sports models and ute) and its matched for the SV6 sedan. My question would be why if they have been able to get such good efficency out of the manual non afm v8 did they bother with afm in teh first place? Either they have played funny bugger swith the gearing (at the cost of performance?) or they have optimised the 6.0L v8. I wonder what the auto car could do with the same non-afm engine?? Would be funny if it burned less again...and had the full power/torque.

Now that it appears likely that ford will release a coyote v8 NA in the XR8 it will be interesting to see what fuel burn it has (ADR figures for comparison) and its relative performance. One suspects that even with 300kw and 530nm (easilly matching the holden offering) ford might just be able to get it to burn a 12L/100km flat if not even into the 11s. Might seem wierd comparing this for high po models but frankly holden hasn't offerend enough in this update to challenge the low end cars. The ecoboost falcon will eat this omega (in updated form) for breakfast.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #28
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there`s probably some worthwhile features in that update, but not much to lure a technology challenged old fart .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #29
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I can see that new Yellow being a very popular choice, I actually don't mind it.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #30
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty impressive what you get on a base model nowadays: 6.5 inch colour touch screen, reversing camera, alloys, electrics, 6 airbags etc. It dosnt leave a lot of room for the higher up models.

Love that red SSV interior. Colour is sadly missing in many car interiors.