Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
Ibrox90
Banned

Default RC Nitro cars Adelaide??

So for years Ive been interested in Remote Control petrol (nitro) powered cars. Now im actually considering getting into it.

Just wondering does anyone know about any hobby shops that sell them in Adelaide??

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
smally289
growing up is optional

A mate of mine down there goes to Hobby Habit. They have 2 stores, one on Main North Rd, Blair Athol and another at Daws Rd, Melrose Park. The DawsRd shop also has an indoor track that sounds like fun.
Found this which may help you http://www.rctech.net/forum/australi...-adelaide.html
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2009, 01:04 AM   #3
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

One on Main North Road Brama Lodge
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
Fireblade
Wizard Member

The Daws Road Hobby Habit has an awesome setup with a bitumen type race/drift track and a dirt track. They hold comps there most nights of the week I reckon.
Old 28-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Yeah I'll second the Daws Road shop for being pretty awesome with tracks and all. Even have killer slot car setups there.

I've got a Tamiya 1/10th scale Nitro car that I don't use anywhere near often enough, I've got the big carpark across the road from my place I used to shoot it round there on weekends but kind of lost interest after a while.

Last year at bloke's expo a couple of mates and myself came back home via the Daws Road store and I bought an AU Falcon body for my Nitro car. Painted it, decorated it, but still haven't started the car for about four years now.

Mine was purchased at a shop on South Road, down Morphett Vale way. Can't remember the name of the store or if its still there though.

They're not cheap to get into, I think mine was about $700 all up, and that was with extras like fuel and stuff. But it pays itself off in fun over time.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hobby Habbit is the way to go. Only ever been to the one on Main North Rd but theyre pretty good people in there. There also used to be one heading out towards gawler/elizabeth/salisbury area was just off the main road going there (not sure of the name), It could well have closed but it used to be ok
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2009, 04:34 AM   #7
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'll probably get shot down in flames for this but...

i bought a nitro 1/8 truggy last year from ebay. the whole thing (car, and radio gear) landed on the front door for under $500. it may not be the best quality but i figured there was no point spending $1500 to $2000 to see how much i would use the thing.

in the end it was a good choice not to spend much as i have only used 1 tank of fuel. the car has been driven about 3 times in over 12months.

so i recommend buying something cheap to see how much use it will get, and if you get right into it and start breaking things or wearing them out then upgrade to a bigger and better car.

-tim
ps the reason i don't get to use my truggy is i work over an hour from home 6 days a week and i have two little kids that i like to see when i'm not working. have a look at the time stamp on this post - i just got home from work after leaving at 8:30am...
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
STHSV8

I bought a nito truggy as well , cost me about 400 bucks but I wish i never did. I lost an axle the first time I drove it (fell out in long grass, no impact) and I was furious as I had to drive into the city to buy a replacement. Bought the replacement and drove it into a post breaking steering/suspension components (totally my fault!) Totally lost interest after that.

Go better quality if you can rather then the cheapest and drive safe!
STHSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Yeah getting a cheaper one is probably the best option to start off with, in a way I regret the way I bought mine on an impulse (bought the same day my ex decided she didn't wanna be with me anymore, which also happened to be the day my monthly pay landed in my account) and while I did use it heaps to begin with, the last time I even tried to start it would have been a good four years ago, and even then I couldn't get it started so it hasn't been used for ages.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
Ibrox90
Banned

well i bought one on and the best i can say is that it frustrating, shoul have bought a CAI insted lol.

battery pack broke and it opened the throttle so it went flying into a kurb.

so part replaced, and now i cant get it running.

GRRRRRR

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Old 29-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #11
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get yourself a Failsafe, theyre a little device that when the car loses power/or goes out of range they return the servo's to the normal position, meaning that it wont be able to run away too far! I bought one ages ago and only used it a few times, but it worked when i needed it.

What model did you buy?
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 02:15 AM   #12
Ibrox90
Banned

Fail safe doesnt protect against loesing power to the servos :( i have a failsafe lol.

I have a Hyper 7 have some issues havent even got it going yet.

it wont move when revs are increased or anything taking it down to the shop for help tomorrow.

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end