Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
max
LWBforME

Default Qantas jet sucks in galahs

At 6:50am a Qantas Boeing 737 leaving Adelaide bound for Melbourne on take-off sucked a flock of galahs into one engine. A safe return to Adelaide and emergency landing was made. I tell you what, the captain of that flight should get a feather in his cap! Passengers were transferrred onto another aircraft and resumed their journey.

max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

hahaha , They didn't get the name "Silly Bloody Galah" for nothing ..lol

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #3
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Minced galah anyone?? :
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
VSSII

Many moons ago my father used to work for Rolls Royce designing aeroplane engines and an integral part of the design was firing up the engines and throwing a chook or two through the fans to measure potential damage in such a situation. Their biggest problem was finding birds to use with feathers still attached!
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Lol, not what i want to hear... I fly that route frequently!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 28-09-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Actually , on about things going through turbines , reminded me of the following ....

Does anyone remember years ago , ( and this was on film too ! / all filmed / was on the news / on the net / etc etc ), some bloke was standing next to some fighter jet , he walked past the turbine and it sucked him fully in and spat him out the other side "WITHOUT" a single cut on him ! , he was a bit bruised from the landing on the concrete being spat out etc etc , but was alive and well ! .
They claimed him as being the 'luckiest man alive ever', and that what had happened was pretty much impossible. Talk about perfect timing ! .
The gap inbetween rotors in the turbine were only a few mm wider than him , and he passed through 2 sets of rotors spinning opposite directions ! . IT was truelly amazing.

There is probably still a clip of it floating around on the net somewhere these days too.

Old 28-09-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Actually , on about things going through turbines , reminded me of the following ....

Deos anyone remember years ago , ( and this was on film too ! / all filmed / was on the news / on the net / etc etc ), some bloke was standing next to some fighter jet , he walked past the turbine and it sucked him fully in and spat him out the other side "WITHOUT" a single cut on him ! , he was a bit bruised from the landing on the concrete being spat out etc etc , but was alive and well ! .
They claimed him as being the 'luckiest man alive ever', and that waht had happened was pretty much impossible.
The gap inbetween rotors in the turbine were only a few mm wider than him , and he passed through 2 sets of rotors spinning opposite directions ! . IT was truelly amazing.

There is probably still a clip of it floating around on the net somewhere these days too.
LOL. I'd love to see that. That would be a classic

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 01:14 PM   #8
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:

Does anyone remember years ago , ( and this was on film too ! / all filmed / was on the news / on the net / etc etc ), some bloke was standing next to some fighter jet , he walked past the turbine and it sucked him fully in and spat him out the other side "WITHOUT" a single cut on him ! , he was a bit bruised from the landing on the concrete being spat out etc etc , but was alive and well ! .
They claimed him as being the 'luckiest man alive ever', and that what had happened was pretty much impossible. Talk about perfect timing ! .

yeah i remember that one... was funny as, he just flops around before getting sucked in...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
yeah i remember that one... was funny as, he just flops around before getting sucked in...

hahaha , yeah that was it , it was like he walks past it / well gets half way then the suction grabs him / he goes into a 'wobble wobble' trying to keep his footing , then Whoop / sucked up and spat out the other end :hihi:

I suppose its ok to laugh about it because he was ok ! ..lol

Old 28-09-2006, 01:21 PM   #10
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Yes I must say it surprised me. Years ago when the place was run by the Federal Airports Corporation I was doing a photo shoot for some airport operations training materials. The FAC boys used to drive us all around the airport grounds day & night in their 4X4's. Those rigs were decked out with all sorts of things including fox/rabbit traps & firearms as they would do regular scare-offs and trap setting. They said early morning was a typical time for birds being in that area and would need to regularly fire off a few rounds to
get rid of them.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #11
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Quote:

Actually he didn't get sucked through at all, he got jammed in the air intake, and his clothes were ripped off him and blasted out the exhaust...

Either way, not very pleasent...

I remember being at the airport years ago, and watching the tech crew throw frozen chickens through the turbine... quite funny actually :P

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 01:40 PM   #12
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heard this on the Radio yesterday and it made me laugh:

"Eagles may soar high but Weasels don't get sucked through jet engines"

Paul B.
XR6WGN

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 01:41 PM   #13
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
I was sitting in a plane on the Adelaide tarmac VERY close to that time.......not something i want to hear either.....

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 01:56 PM   #14
Miss_XR6

its very common for planes to suck in birds during flight sometimes they can cause the plane to crash but only a few planes have had that happned most the time it just fries them and nothing happenes to the engine
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 01:56 PM   #15
mowog
Discovery 4

All Comercial engines now have to be certified for bird strike as do the front windows.

I spent 20 years in the RAAF and I saw some amazing things drawn in engines. And some very funny incidents when people got too close to the back of a running aircraft.

I made a nice clean f18 all black and spotty when the crew parked it behind a Caribou I started. It fired a huge plug of engine oil out of the Augmentors (exhaust) very messy... They were asked to move before the start but they told us to get F@rked.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 02:04 PM   #16
anakha

This reminds me of all the versions of the birdstrike testing for planes/trains that gets modieifed and re-told. Following is a link to a page that gives a version and discusses the urban legend details.

Catapoultry
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 08:14 PM   #17
RUQ1KA
Formerly mad_ed_wagon

Is this the video about the guy getting sucked into the engine? they say the guy lives either way looks scary
You Tube Link

Build thread coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerCordia
I had two cordias but recently i sold one of them so that leaves me with one cordia which i have now but i wouldve had two if i havent sold the other one.
RUQ1KA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 09:58 PM   #18
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Reasonably common occurrence on the Prowlers and Intruders... luckily there's a Pitot tube inside the intake that normally snags the guys before they hit the compressor face.
Old 28-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #19
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Common occurence at Adelaide...as for for someone getting sucked through a jet turbine and surviving..........CRAP.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 10:21 PM   #20
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

The guy who got sucked into (but not through) the turbine housing survived with concussion and a burst ear drum from memory. There was a thread on either these forums or the .com forums containing the video link a while back.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #21
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It sounds bad, but even if thay had to shut down a engine they can still fly on one engine, no real danger to the passengers.

ever seen the 777 Engine testing Film where they set 3 or 4 fire hoses up and had them gushing into the engine then shoot chikens into it, it just keeps running like normal.

Yeah I doubt this guy would of got sucked throe a gas turbine engine, that would ****** you up good and proper.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 10:26 PM   #22
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
The guy who got sucked into (but not through) the turbine housing survived with concussion and a burst ear drum from memory. There was a thread on either these forums or the .com forums containing the video link a while back.

Even if he did'nt get sucked through....he's body woud've been chewed for chip beef.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 28-09-2006, 10:30 PM   #23
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
It sounds bad, but even if thay had to shut down a engine they can still fly on one engine, no real danger to the passengers.

ever seen the 777 Engine testing Film where they set 3 or 4 fire hoses up and had them gushing into the engine then shoot chikens into it, it just keeps running like normal.

Yeah I doubt this guy would of got sucked throe a gas turbine engine, that would ****** you up good and proper.
OK when I was working at Adelaide some years back an BAe 146 ingested a mob of galahs into two engines(they have four) he barely made it out over Glenelg and back onto the runway to land!!!

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 28-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #24
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Reasonably common occurrence on the Prowlers and Intruders... luckily there's a Pitot tube inside the intake that normally snags the guys before they hit the compressor face.
I wouldn't quite say common, but has happened before more than once.

Just to add too, you're right about sensor tubes in the inlets, but they are not pitot tubes. The air pressure and speed in the inlets is very different to what pitot tubes measure. They are inlet ice / temp probes, and some aircraft also have vortex generators there too.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 10:53 PM   #25
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
I wouldn't quite say common, but has happened before more than once.

Just to add too, you're right about sensor tubes in the inlets, but they are not pitot tubes. The air pressure and speed in the inlets is very different to what pitot tubes measure. They are inlet ice / temp probes, and some aircraft also have vortex generators there too.

Tim
I've seen at least 3 different vids of guys getting sucked into prowlers/intruders, and one of a A-7 Corsair II, so in terms of ground crew major incidents I'd class intake issues as common
I'll admit I've always been curious as to why you'd have pitots in the intake, but never really questioned the source of the pitot tube story. Temp probes makes more sense. The vortex generators/turbulators (well, any vortex gen I've seen) wouldn't do much to stop you though.
Old 28-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #26
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there was another video where the guy gets sucked in and turns into a backfire,
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 11:02 PM   #27
ssb2005
Scrubber Racing Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
OK when I was working at Adelaide some years back an BAe 146 ingested a mob of galahs into two engines(they have four) he barely made it out over Glenelg and back onto the runway to land!!!

the engines on those planes where shite it led to BAE standing for "bring another engine", among other things its prone to icing, overheating its electrinics and shutting engines down midflight and sucking in toxic fumes to the air conditioning. most jet engines would just suck the glahs in and turn them to small pieces of carbon
it was basically a lycoming chopper engine on roids.
1984 AB GSR Cordia tidy up time. DASH is here!! future track weapon
1973 Yamaha RD 250 project cafe racer
ssb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 11:10 PM   #28
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
At 6:50am a Qantas Boeing 737 leaving Adelaide bound for Melbourne on take-off sucked a flock of galahs into one engine. A safe return to Adelaide and emergency landing was made. I tell you what, the captain of that flight should get a feather in his cap! Passengers were transferrred onto another aircraft and resumed their journey.
VH-TJU, ingestion to both engines. Fan blade sets being changed on both. Serviceable (pending engine runs) for QF674 to Melbourne tomorrow...
Old 28-09-2006, 11:56 PM   #29
mad machs
politically incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
there was another video where the guy gets sucked in and turns into a backfire,
Remember that one, it was a carrier aircraft, seem to recall it was an Intruder or a Prowler which have twin low slung intakes, a deck handler gets sucked in to the port intake but fortuntatly the engine stalls out due to his head set & goggles wrecking the crompressor blades.

He was indeed for the most part unharmed considering what had just happened.
Old 29-09-2006, 09:45 AM   #30
jzab
Generally missunderstood

Default Sucked in you Galah

My brother from Adelaide came around for dinner last night and he was a pasenger in the plane the ingested the galahs. He said that they got a vibration on take off, like the ones you get occassionally from the undercarriage, but it just didn't go away. They had to fly back and they grabbed another plane that was originally going to Perth.
jzab is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post