Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
Kryton

Default 1 search every 30 seconds............

Theres been a few times now that ive been skipping through pages or sections only to be halted in my tracks with a board message of:
Sorry! The administrator has specified that you can only do one search every 30 seconds.

Now i can understand limiting it to 1 POST per 30 seconds but limiting a search is counter productive.
In the age of high speed internet, why limit a search to every 30 seconds - 3 seconds maybe, or even not at all - whats the big deal?

Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The "big deal" is the load that searches place on the server when searching through 3.3 million posts - even with the aid of an indexed table to search on. It has nothing to do with the available bandwidth for either the user or the server - the server has a connection to the web at far more than most users.

You can only get the message if you are continually performing actual searches.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

I just did a search for "Eleanor", then less than 30 seconds later I did another search, "Gone in 60 seconds". I ended up with this thread.