Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
krzysiek

Default Taking care of new car paint and interior - What to do?

Hi guys,

I have a new MK2 FG XR6 (LPi ) around 2 weeks ago. Obviously the novelty has not quite worn off yet, so I like to keep her clean inside and out.

Just wondering what you guys do to ensure I am not doing anything wrong (have not owned a new car before so I never took so much care).

I have washed it around once per week at the moment because I don't want to over do it and potentially wear down the clear coat too quick. This last time I washed the car I just gave it a quick high pressure spray with soapy water at the car wash, used my sponge to go over the car lightly to remove dust and then water it down with the high pressure hose again.

What do you guys do to wash your car? I have myself some Armour All blue car wash shampoo.

Do you guys polish the car? If so, how often and with which product?

Also, for interiors I bought some 'cleaning wipes' from Super Cheap Auto as it seems very convenient. Can just keep them in the boot and use one as needed when dust builds up on the dash etc. Just wondering if you guys think these are safe for long term use. Don't want to develop any stains etc on the interior.

That's pretty much it for now. Nothing else to really ask, most things are common sense but about the paint and the wipes / interior cleaning I just want to double check.

Thanks!

krzysiek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Taking care of new car paint and interior - What to do?

Once a week wash seems a little obcessive lol
By high pressure hose i assume you mean just a normal hose and not a high pressure cleaner??

A good brand polish should last a while (but will depend on if the car is parked in sun and rain all the time etc... ) I do mine (when i remember) once every two months or so. (paint is at least 10yr old though)

Carpet on the dash ! Always a way to keep the dusty look at bay... lol

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Hayden1

I usually spray the car all over with a hose than use the soap. Once
I've soaped up the whole car I spray it all with water again then use a shammy to dry it. I think its a good idea to go for a drive after as it stops the water from sitting in little spot for ages. Every two or so weeks and polish every couple of months
Hayden1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

If you are in Vic , I suggest you check this out.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...sion+detailing
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
Cheech
HELL YES

It really depends on how an*l you wish to be about it.

Everyone will have a different opinion.

Regarding your clearcoat, you need to get something over the top of it now.
This will become a sacrificial layer so that clearcoat is preserved. this layer need to be renewed every few months.

If it was my new car I'd be doing the following:

Using a car wash with a high slipperiness/lubricating factor such as Meguiars gold class or duragloss. use a high pile mitt that traps dirt deep in the pile away from your paintwork. Above all, stay away from any commercial carwash.

Give it a claybar

Wash again

Use a paint cleaner/detailer such as Dodo Lime Prime

Use a Dodo carnauba wax suited to your paint color. Do a second coat a day later. These are soft waxes that go on and off very easily, but they only last 2-3 months.
This stuff ain't cheap, but you really do get what you pay for when it comes to polish & waxes.

For the plastic interior and exterior bits, get hold of aerospace protectant.
It's a satin finish and doesn't leave a residue like Amorall. Lasts months on the interior bits.

My paint work in the link below is over three years old, but has been looked after from demo klms.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11347226

2019 Ssangyong Rexton fourby (the daily driver, tow pig & snowmobile)

Last edited by Cheech; 27-03-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Dont use a sponge... Get a Bowdens Own Wash mit and some megs car wash. Make sure you chamois it dry!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I usually wash my car about once every 2 weeks or so (depending on the rain) and I use NXT car wash and a sponge (never tried a mitt). I hose the hole car first. Then wash a section and hose off, then another section etc.
Then I chamois it dry.

Once every 3-4 months (depending on when the water stops beading on car) I wax it. I use NXT Next Generation wax using the little applicator pads and terry towels to wipe it off.

As for the interior, I just run a chamois over the dash etc to pick up the dust. I'm about to try the 303 stuff on the dash, I've read good stuff about it. I've also used some Megiuars wipes which seemed pretty good but are dear.

Using the above method my cars have always good great and I received great comments on the paint condition of my previous car which was 13 years old.

Sure you can do more like claybar and other polishes, but the above had worked fine for me and it's not too much bother.
Old 28-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
bang_on33
Force 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek
I have washed it around once per week at the moment
Nothing wrong with washing once a week. It keeps your car looking good and the wash is quicker and easier as there's less dirt to get off. Frequent light washes will preserve the paint better IMO. The last thing you want is to be scrubbing dirt off the paint after weeks in the sun.

Quote:
This last time I washed the car I just gave it a quick high pressure spray.
This I would avoid. Just use a regular hose and you'll be fine.
Force 6 #24
bang_on33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Let's de-mystify something first...

- You won't wear out a vehicle's clearcoat from washing too regularly, unless you're washing the car with dishwashing liquid or something that's acid-based or basic (alkaline). If you're using proper pH-neutral car wash liquid, you won't have any issues whatsoever.

- The cleaning wipes you're referring to are fine as well to give the interior a once-over. It would also be advisable to get your hands on an interior 'protectant' of some description - it will improve the appearance of your interior plastics/vinyl, and it will help to resist fading over time from UV exposure. This stuff does need to be re-applied semi-regularly to ensure all surfaces are protected. Only takes a few minutes but will make a big difference in the long run.

Here is a great thread that should help you understand the different aspects of keeping your car looking great. As it's a Meguiar's forum, the products are obviously Meguiar's, but there are many other brands that offer similar products that do the same job, if not better.
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-Cycle-Updated!

And yes, if you're in Melbourne, I'd highly recommend coming along to the AFF car-care clinic I'm running on April 14th...it would give you a good understanding of what is needed to look after your car.

PS. That goes for all of you re the clinic - if you're interested here's the thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...sion+detailing

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheech
you really do get what you pay for when it comes to polish & waxes.
I agree but only to a point. There are plenty of great products out there at a surprisingly affordable price that will match or even out-perform more expensive products...remembering also that to a certain extent a lot of it comes down to the abilities of the person administering the product.

Last edited by Dave_Obsession; 28-03-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Dave_Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang_on33
Nothing wrong with washing once a week. It keeps your car looking good and the wash is quicker and easier as there's less dirt to get off. Frequent light washes will preserve the paint better IMO. The last thing you want is to be scrubbing dirt off the paint after weeks in the sun.

Quote:
last time I washed the car I just gave it a quick high pressure spray
This I would avoid. Just use a regular hose and you'll be fine.
There's nothing wrong with a high-pressure wash. Obviously just be wary of the power (psi) of the machine you're using, and don't use the jetstream!
Most units these days have dedicated car-wash nozzles, so you can't really go wrong.

I've spent up to about 45 minutes on occasion pre-rinsing a car down to remove excess dirt etc from the surface BEFORE washing it...you can't get the same result from a garden hose.

With regards to how often, remember that the more frequently you're touching your paintwork, the more often you're taking on the risk of inflicting damage to the finish. Bearing this in mind, it's important to do whatever you can to reduce the potential to cause damage to your paint...swirl marks are generally caused through incorrect washing techniques.

FWIW, some of the easier jobs I've had (paint correction) have been on vehicles that have not been washed regularly, once you get through all the crud and contaminants, the paintwork itself is in reasonably decent condition.
Old 28-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
Tommie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi - I take the simple approach of normally washing the car about every 2-3weeks (when its starting to loose its shine) and use some quality shampoo such as Megs or Bowdens Own, and wash with a handmit. Regularly rinse the mitten as you go along!!

Use a quality polish/wax (I use Megs Nxt Tech2) about once every 4 months and you will continue to have the new car look and shine.

Cheers
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Once a week wash seems a little obcessive lol
if i don't wash my car once a week it looks like a mad mudder. (my driveway is almost 1km of dirt, it's mud when wet and dust when dry).
Old 29-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Chopped
as in chopped

One of my old bosses owned a Liberty RX for about 10 years. He only ever washed it once a week with water and an old rag, never used car wash, waxes, protectants or anything like that. He didn't even chamois it.

I saw that same car recently and the paint and interior is still in pristine condition. I don't know how this is.