Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 17-06-2008, 11:56 PM   #1
bruster

Default focus zetec or mazda 3 maxx

Hi guys,

i know this is a ford forum but hopefully i can get unbiased answer.

which is better Focus Zetec or Mazda3?

i been told focus must used 95 octane and focus is slower is this true?

manual or auto is fine.

we thinking of getting a second car but unsure which one, considering lancer vrx too but dont like the style of them too much.

cheers

bruster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 12:21 AM   #2
BlackLS
yum

Both cars would be near identical acceleration in manual form. They have the same platform, same suspension architecture (although the Focus has it better setup) and identical engine bays.

Interior build material quality you'll probably find the Mazda better, handling the Focus better. Pinging is reportedly fixed in the latest model Focus.

If you want something a bit different get the Foc, if you want to get what everyone else has got, get the 3.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Good summation.
Must admit I like the styling of the new Lancer
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
jweb
radio off =save petrol :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Good summation.
Must admit I like the styling of the new Lancer
totally agree,would get it if it had the dynamics and engine to match.
Old 18-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
Ringo
I see you....

I have never driven either of them......however go Mazda 3.....better resale and indicators on the side you expect them to be on.

And before I get flamed about the resale comment I do know what I am talking about and yes I know that underneath the skin they are identical cars.

I can't give you the excct figures...(it would get me sacked) but when you put Focus Zetec and Mazda 3 maxx back to back the Mazda resale is 8-16% higher across the various age and kms brackets. In $ this is well over $1,500

Unless you Ford dealer is willing to do a brilliant deal up front to compensate you for the $1500 you will lose in resale then Mazda 3 is the way to go.

Also I have put my money where my mouth is and I drive a new(ish) Mazda too.

End of financial year is upon us as well.....play hard and get your prices slashed.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Yeah we're facing the same decision and have decided to go with the Mazda 3, its a much better car as a whole. The Focus' interior was just woeful then I also see quite a few people on here have had problems with them. The Mazda 3 is built in Japan and the Focus is now built in South Africa (along with VW polo and golf). I also noticed the Polo's interior build quality was about as bad as the Focus'.

I've driven both cars.... and the Mazda drives basically as well as the Focus, I thought the Focus had a really nice gearbox and it handled exceptionally well but that was about it.
Old 18-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
bruster

great, well i guess Mazda 3 seems to be the go.

does MAZDA3 use premium fuel too?

i have booked a test drive for both this weekend.
bruster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

all mazda 3's run 91ron except the MPS-3.

i looked at the mazda 3 when i was looking for a car and they looked quite nice. however i chose my 07TDCi and i havent looked back.
AnthonyTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

You can run the 3 on PULP or ULP, its up to you. I'm not sure if its still the same but the base engine and the auto in the focus are for all intents and purposes identical to the ones in the mazda 3. Even the auto and manual gear ratios on the base models are exactly the same and the power/torque figures are almost identical (107kw v 108 kw. 185nm v 182 nm).

So really I am buying a Focus but it has a different skin, better interior and is built in a first world country not a 3rd world one
Old 18-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #10
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Mazda 3

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 11:23 PM   #11
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter

So really I am buying a Focus but it has a different skin, better interior and is built in a first world country not a 3rd world one
hmm well said. touche.... lol
Old 19-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #12
scooby

I would choose the Mazda3 if you want the same car as everyone else..(really, every 2nd car on the road seems to be a 3)....and if build quality was your primary concern.
I chose the LT Zetec, handles like a car should and I recon it looks hot. Also something a bit different, I've only seen 2 others on the road since I've had mine.
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2008, 11:11 PM   #13
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

yeah the Mazda 3 is a very popular car. I still think they look pretty hot though. But i like my car better :P

have you driven the focus and mazda3?
Old 20-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #14
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Focus had a really nice gearbox and it handled exceptionally well but that was about it.
The things that really matter IMHO
To me, the 3 Felt too soft. The interior looks better than the Exterior and the Hatch is hotter looking than the Sedan (same for the Focus IMO)
I think the 3's design is aging more than the Focus, especially when you have all the Zetec fruit on the LS-LT models
Old 24-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #15
buickman
buickman

Quote:
The Mazda 3 is built in Japan and the Focus is now built in South Africa (along with VW polo and golf). I also noticed the Polo's interior build quality was about as bad as the Focus'..
There is your answer Sth African build quality V's Japanese.
Better resale on the Mazda as well .
When production happens with the Focus in Australia in a couple of years build quality hopefully should be much better as the current Focus is a neat looking car but is let down by petty build quality problems.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 12:42 AM   #16
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd get the Focus Zetec. Mazda 3 is just too common... they're everywhere.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2008, 05:39 AM   #17
wiseguy

I am a ford man and own a modded bf f6, however me and the missus test drove xr5 turbo,focus, mazda 3 and in the end the xr5turbo was a little expensive.Our opinion was the mazda had better interior and finish quality,and looked the part also.
Comes down to personal choice but even I like driving her little mazda 3.Keeps my typhoon out of shopping carparks.
No doubt Mazda 3 for me.
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #18
Spazzsfocus
RS Dreamer!

Just keep in mind that the Mazda 3 is due for a model update... soon!
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...ing-new-3.html

and if its anything like the improvement they made on the Mazda 2, then we're in for a real treat.... But then again, it would be hard pressed to beat the Focus as far as I'm concerned! :
Spazzsfocus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #19
Rhubarb

I know its a small issue to most people but I hate red instrumentation which steered me away from the 3 to the focus.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2008, 09:20 PM   #20
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

AFAIK we're not getting the new-look 3 design here in Oz, at least not this year.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:06 AM   #21
MW_WA
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb
I know its a small issue to most people but I hate red instrumentation which steered me away from the 3 to the focus.
Interesting you should say that, as that's one of the things I didn't like about the 3 as well. I also thought the new piano black finish on various interior bits was tacky.

FWIW, my final shortlist consisted of an Astra, a 3 and a Focus.
To me the Focus was the least offensive of the interiors. The Astra's bothered me the most... it was so... "German-looking"? and bland. In contrast I thought the 3's tried just a tad too hard.
IMO the 3 was the (marginally) least-inspiring to drive out of the group, although there's no doubt that it's a very attractive and well-made car. I would have happily purchased one had the Focus not existed.

I just thought that the Focus was the best all-round package for the attributes that interested me (initial price difference and resale value both ranked pretty low for me. I wanted the car I would be least likely to regret buying and driving. I intend to own it for a fair while.) As a bonus, it also had the stereo system most conducive to simple removal and replacement without the new one sticking out like dogs balls (whichever car I chose was always going to have a trip to the Alpine dealer as one of its first important journeys )

I guess that's why you need to be cautious when asking for advice between cars that all have a pretty good reputation - everyone has a different slant on what they value the most.

P.S. Apologies for saying the word Astra in a Ford forum. If I get banned for that I will respect the decision.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #22
Mick K.

I prefer the Focus, but purely due to experience with Ford Service, would recommend the Mazda, unfortunately. :(

The 2, 3, 6 are Mazda's bread and butter, while the Focus (maybe this will change when it is locally assembled) is still a bit left field for Ford with the Falcon / Territory making up the majority of the sales and apparent service expertise (I also have a BA Fairmont which has been serviced by Ford - hence the use of the word "apparent").

I love my Focus, think the Fairmont is a great family car and would love to consider a Mondeo TDCi hatch as the next family car, but Ford's after sales service and servicing will probably see me heading towards a Mazda6 hatch or wagon.

Maybe I have just had a bad run with the dealerships (northside Brisbane) I have used? All the best with your decision.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post