Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
snozzau
Starter Motor

Default Hard To Start

I have an 02 XR6 that is becoming more and more difficult to start.
Usually starts fine when warm but from cold does the folnaaamlowing-
Starts then dies
Starts then dies
and on the 3rd try it eventually fires.
I have done the following
-cleaned the injectors
-changed fuel filter
-changed the o2 sensor
-changed plugs and leads
-cleaned the throttle body
-changed air cleaner.
All did nothing to help starting,though the o2 sensor made it idle a lot smoother.
Anybody out there in AU land have any ideas.
Thanks,
Scott

snozzau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Might be a few other things ... gotta love trial and error.

A few more things to check.

Idle Control Solenoid
battery/alternator charge rate

Are you having other issues while driving ... or does it drive fine???
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
snozzau
Starter Motor

The thing drives fine once it starts,I'm just getting sick of throwing parts.
I had my mechanic check the codes when the injectors were done and there was no problem there.
I seem to remember some time back somebody mentioned a crook coilpack can make starting hard,dont know whether theres any truth in it though.
Back to you guys
snozzau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Usually a crook coilpack will cause misfiring when driving as well ... in my case I'd get a decent backfire (LPG) ... you mightn't notice it though on petrol (as LPG is more sensitive with spark).

Might be best getting an autosparky to look at it ... your battery might be slightly down on charge and not giving enough spark to kick over properly (can start and die) ... or it might be something to do with alternator with initial starting as well. Auto electrician should be able to diagnose something with the electricals on startup for you.

But sometimes trying to chase a hard to start vehicle can be a bit of a nightmare at times ... might be a dodgy earth connection somewhere.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
dishpig
Only an xr6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzau
Starts then dies
Starts then dies
-cleaned the injectors
-changed fuel filter
-changed the o2 sensor
-changed plugs and leads
-changed air cleaner.
All did nothing to help starting,though the o2 sensor made it idle a lot smoother.
Thanks,
Scott
Did you happen to find the solution because my AU has just recently started doing the exact same thing : Except it only turns off once then it only just starts.
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #6
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

The next thing I'd be checking and cleaning is what Mechan1K suggested, the idle Control Solenoid. If you didn't do it of course when you cleaned the throttle body.

Take it off and spray a cleaning solvent such as INOX aerosol into both openings and then use a small toothbrush to get in and around to clean everything, then wask it out with a clean spray of INOX. Also don't forget the two holes on the throttle body need cleaning as well, but I just use a lint free cloth soaked with INOX and twisted around a small screwdriver to poke down the holes and clean out any residue there.
Make sure everything is clean and dry before reassembling it.

I suggested INOX aerosol because I have found it is the best solvent to dislodge/loosen crap without doing damage to any parts. There are many solvents on the market such as CRC or RP7 that you could probably use as well.

I think there is a link here on the forums to a DIY instruction to clean the ICS.

Hope this helps.
Chippar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #7
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my lane has some trouble starting somtimes too.. i think ill have to do the Idle control solinoid clean and see how it goes...
it usually happens when the car is parked on an incline.
but you can catch it with the accelerator as tho it doesnt get enough fuel.
Old 22-02-2007, 10:02 PM   #8
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

would ecu reset help at all?

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 11:10 PM   #9
xertia

I had a similar issue with my AU1. It wouldn't keep the idle up when I started it, just cough cough and die. Only did it with a cold start. I thought it was the Idle Control Solenoid, so I tried cleaning it and eventually even replacing but didn't work. So I tried an ECU reset and it worked. Although, it still won't hold the idle up at just above 1000rpm for those few seconds when I first start her, just starts and drops to normal 800rpm idle... probably something else needs looking at too, but at least it don't stall anymore. ;-)
xertia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #10
dishpig
Only an xr6...

Good idea I'll just have to get my ECU replaced :hihi:
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2007, 12:35 AM   #11
all4fordau

I had the same problem with mine. Changed the fuel filter---- GONE!... An easy check/replacement. Other than that, I also had a bad time with the ignition switch as it had dirty contacts. It only shows up with a low voltage reading at the coil pack which if you are not electrically minded, is a tough one to get. From what you have said, this sounds awfully simillar to my second drama- hard to start but once going not too bad.
all4fordau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #12
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Hi. Did you find out what the problem is???

Mines doing the same.

Cheers
Old 22-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #13
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzau
Starts then dies
Starts then dies
-cleaned the injectors
-changed fuel filter
-changed the o2 sensor
-changed plugs and leads
-changed air cleaner.
Thanks,
Scott
Mine did this today , but wont start , I will check it the morning and let you know what I find ... I hate ford ignitions ( I think it might be the module)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 12:26 AM   #14
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mine used to do this (well still does on petrol) before i got lpg on it, but not on lpg, it's like it's a fuel starvation problem. The fuel filter is fairly new, as is fuel pump, but it starts, then stalls, or the revs drop right down to about 300 or so and then it fixes itself and idles normally, only when cold too. i'm going to check earths next and maybe run a couple from the battery, can't hurt really
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #15
Froudey
Banned

any luck my AUII xr6 is doing zactly what the first post is doing.
Froudey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post