Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 23-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #61
zilo
BANNED

Default Re: Havent bought a house yet? has the boat sailed away?

Buy an island and FTW...for less than the price you pay for a 3 bedroom unit in Melbourne or sydney.

I did...
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2015, 07:51 PM   #62
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Niceguy View Post
Man threads like this make me want to get out of the city and have a fresh start in the middle of nowhere.
Here, ya better read thru this thread then................
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11433565
Old 23-04-2015, 07:51 PM   #63
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep you gotta live where the work is, regional towns are cheap for a reason, there is no work there (supply and demand, and all that).

I've looked into regional living every now and then, but my line of work it's near impossible. I'm not prepared to have an Engineering degree and go fruit picking. Of course construction work is available in small towns but not for a Project Manager.

Totally agree though 1 hour from Sydney CBD and a smaller property it's affordable, you just need to commute.

3rd world problems really, buying iphones, ipads, imac, new car does not leave enough for the mortgage...
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #64
Ruination

I bought 500sqm block at a new private estate in Wellard, 15-20 minutes south from CBD Perth for $200k in July 2013.
Mate I work with bought a 450sqm block right down the street, he paid $245k in October last year.
House I built cost 196k, after all my trade discounts. (I subbie for the builder)
Now that I've moved in and have finally landscaped the backyard as the front was included in the land package. I've had an appraisal of $510-530k.

It doesn't take long for things to go bonkers.
Especially in Perth.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-04-2015, 09:54 PM   #65
Havoc
Banned

yup and **** all our children and grand children in future its an excellent housing market.
Old 23-04-2015, 09:59 PM   #66
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once Labour get in and crunch negative gearing, house prices will drop like victorian taxi licences.
Old 23-04-2015, 10:02 PM   #67
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
Once Labour get in and crunch negative gearing, house prices will drop like victorian taxi licences.
I'm an ALP supporter but I doubt they would do much on NG because politicians themselves also have a lot of property investments etc.

It would hurt them and we can't have that happening now can we?
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #68
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruination View Post
I bought 500sqm block at a new private estate in Wellard, 15-20 minutes south from CBD Perth for $200k in July 2013.
Mate I work with bought a 450sqm block right down the street, he paid $245k in October last year.
House I built cost 196k, after all my trade discounts. (I subbie for the builder)
Now that I've moved in and have finally landscaped the backyard as the front was included in the land package. I've had an appraisal of $510-530k.

It doesn't take long for things to go bonkers.
Especially in Perth.
I moved into my new house 12 months ago. If I was to build the same house on same block size today would cost me $120k extra.
Old 23-04-2015, 10:42 PM   #69
HULK_I6T
Banned

For people who bought/built homes yesteryear its all about how much money they have made, for new entrants its almost like trying to leap across the grand canyon.

But the issue is if they dont make the leap now the gap only gets wider (more expensive)
Old 24-04-2015, 08:02 AM   #70
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
That didn't take long.......How to close a thread real quick..............
Old 24-04-2015, 08:09 AM   #71
HULK_I6T
Banned

Property prices are like attending a big sporting event. The best seats cost the most and there wont be much room to move. the seats further away are often giveaway tickets.

Supply and demand. Everyone wants to live in capital city
Old 24-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #72
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing to do with supply and demand. Govt policy keeps prices high, NG, low interest rates, fear around super changes and easy lending all equal an unbalanced market. Problem is there is too much money involved and its a lazy way for the govt to make money. As the pool of owners gets smaller, (investment buyers = PPOR) there will be more pressure on the govt to act from those left out. Only 1 mil out of 23 mil have a NG property. Good place to start some tax cuts.
Old 24-04-2015, 09:15 AM   #73
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
That didn't take long.......How to close a thread real quick..............
Yup, dont question the cult of housing...
Old 24-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #74
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yup, dont question the cult of housing...
I think he meant bringing politics into the thread, which you wont do will you ?
Old 24-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #75
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
There are probably some areas outside of capital cities that are affordable but then you have to drive an hour or more to do anything. Is your time worth nothing day in day out travelling long and far to do anything?

Thinking ahead you also want your kids one day to go to a proper school, develop the right networks to be successful in life, usually property prices near good schools with switched on kids are expensive. Living in a regional area, kids wont develop many networks there
As previously stated you don't have a clue.

'Proper school' 'networks to be successful in life'

Have you forgotten that you yourself live an hour from the city ?
Old 24-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #76
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
usually property prices near good schools with switched on kids are expensive. Living in a regional area, kids wont develop many networks there
Geelong Grammer is sandwiched between the old Shell Refinery and Corio, a rough old commission area*

*I'll say what I like about bogan central, I grew up there.....but learned to read, saw the youngest grandmother in Corio was 34 (it was a feature article in the paper!) and left.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
Old 24-04-2015, 11:09 AM   #77
NOI551

I'm seeing a stack of speculation, he said-she said.

You're ALWAYS best off, making a call to an experienced and reputable Finance Broker, more specifically a Mortgage Broker.

They workshop deals with clients ALL the time, if the broker you've chosen is worth half what the title on their business cards indicate they are, they'll take the time to discuss the best way to get your plan across the line for you.
Old 24-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #78
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you'll find that most property investors get into it because of the potential for capital growth and income rather than the tax benefits.

In this climate its pretty hard to be making loses on resi property anyway given that

- you can generally only borrow 80%
- interest rates are low
- rents are rising

If NG is abolished most investors won't be too adversely affected I'd say. Most would hold onto their properties and just wear the tax loss.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 24-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #79
Cranky243

Got mine 10 years ago when the prices were very good.

Only got about 40% left to pay off

SA FTW!
Old 24-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #80
Cranky243

Quote:
Property prices are like attending a big sporting event. The best seats cost the most and there wont be much room to move. the seats further away are often giveaway tickets.

Supply and demand. Everyone wants to live in capital city
I suggest you go and get a dictionary and look up the meaning of everyone lad ;)
4 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2015, 02:47 PM   #81
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky243 View Post
I suggest you go and get a dictionary and look up the meaning of everyone lad ;)
If price wasnt a barrier are you telling me people would chose against the premium spots in a capital city???

The truth is everyone wants to live in the capital city, but the demand ensures the top spots command the highest price and those willing and able to pay up get to enjoy it. The rest are pushed out further and further.
Old 24-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #82
boss310
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Sydney Hulk, I don't think it's a case of being pushed but more so, people not wanting to live in what has become a pretty big ********, you couldn't pay me to move back up the M5 towards the city.
Old 24-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #83
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Our plan is to be in the market in the next 2.5 years, so we keep an eye out to what's going on with house pricing.
Old 24-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #84
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
If price wasnt a barrier are you telling me people would chose against the premium spots in a capital city???

The truth is everyone wants to live in the capital city, but the demand ensures the top spots command the highest price and those willing and able to pay up get to enjoy it. The rest are pushed out further and further.
I think the truth is that some people THINK everyone wants the same thing, but in reality, we all want something different Hulk.

What your argument implies is along the same lines as, everyone thinks they want a HSV, Mustang, Aston Martin, BMW, Lambo, but actual fact we only buy them because our secret dream car (the mighty Great Wall) only imports such small numbers, so we have to make do.

I couldn't think of anything worse than living in Sydney, Melb etc! Crazy rat race with too much noise, no open space, pollution, shopping centers, cafe's... all the things city people love and country people hate!

The top spots in my mind has no other houses for as far as the eye can see, not traffic noise, no pollution, no shopping centers designed to give you rubbish you don't need by telling you that "it's what you want"! It has trees all round, a great view of the gorgeously designed natural wonder that is all around in Australia, the sounds of birds, wind in the trees, and plenty of room to thrash around on a horse or motorbike!

And that still costs less than living in the rat race!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
5 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #85
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

It is all about expectations.

My first house was a weatherboard fixer-upper in Geelong West. Paid $67.5k in 1989. My next was a much better house on 1300msq for $130k in 1998. Then $415k on my current home in 2004.

See, it tool me 15 years to build up to the house I wanted.

Want a property that a bank can fund for less than $250k? Loans at 4.49%pa, $17k deposit (can be borrowed if you have the income to support it)? 1 hour out of Melbourne? Come to Geelong. Lots of housing stock, easy commuting, great lifestyle.

Job market a bit tough, but where isn't?

Do what you can now to get to where you want to be. It takes time and hard work and sacrifice but anyone who is serious will do what they have to so the process can start.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
Old 24-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #86
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

The truth is everyone wants to live in the capital city[/B], but the demand ensures the top spots command the highest price and those willing and able to pay up get to enjoy it. The rest are pushed out further and further.
Perhaps you should change the highlighted to "a lot of people" want to.

I've lived in Capital's, never again.......... I cant hold my breath that long.
Old 24-04-2015, 03:37 PM   #87
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

I don't, I like quiet and space.

I like going to Melbourne for Lygon Street, the food and coffee but thats about it, wouldn't live in there.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2015, 03:40 PM   #88
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too many 'Charlie Pickerings' in the city.

Great place to visit, but prefer it in my rear view mirror.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2015, 03:51 PM   #89
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Big assumption, yet country towns are full of people who enjoy a real lifestyle, yeah sure I would want to swap my acreage 15 minutes from the beach and 30 minutes from Port Macquarie for a stinking house in a smelly City.

I spend years busting my balls to get out of that rats nest, if you gave me a free house in Sydney I would not live in it, and neither would any of my neighbours, or people I know. There is a whole world out there that does not stink like sewerage and car exhaust, full of self important people with bad attitudes.

Last time I went to Sydney we were going to stay a week, lasted one night, before we left, the stench was unbearable, the people obnoxious and the traffic insane, life is too short for that crap.

I would rather walk out to the horse paddock, and watch my daughter ride her horse after school, or my son ride his motor bike on the back paddock instead of being worried about Pepdoiles and having your kids locked up all day playing video games, or may be do some archery or go out for an afternoon hunt or a spot of fishing, walking distance from home, or may be wander across the back paddock to my 12 meter x 14 meter shed and work on my cars. Yeah I really miss the sewerage and exhaust smell I get in Sydney

My view in the morning, wow can't wait to be squashed back into a sardine can in Sydney eating breakfast while I can hear my neighbour taking a dump 5 meter away:

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 24-04-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 24-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #90
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ive been monitoring price of houses in the past 18 months and it appears the property market has really exploded off. Prices are ridiculously high at the moment and houses are selling like hot cakes which can only push the prices further up

I just shake my head when i think of the affordabity.. how can people afford to buy? Unless they are already home owners from many years ago selling and buying in the same relative market or using their existing home equity to buy into another..

But for the new entrant to the market, it looks bleak. i just dont see it as anywhere near affordable. To enter the market at current prices is so tough. By the time they save a 10-20% deposit the price will shift from them another $100-200k+. The kids of next generation wont stand a chance.

I think its even tougher for renters. As property prices shift up so will rents.. as prices go up, less people can afford an investment property (lucky if they can buy one to live) so rental properties will become scarce relative to those looking to rent a place. demand for scarce rental properties will increase (as people cant afford to enter the market). Renters will be trapped forever at the mercy of landlords charging whatever they please.

Has the current state of the property prices officially seen the boat sail away from first time market entrants and renters?
I don't think so, I have been checking prices in Perth and there are some bargains to be had compared to 6 months ago when I was looking for new houses or 3x2 apartments around the Balcatta area. Some of the similar investments are now 80k cheaper and I think there is more to come. I for one will be keeping a close eye on Perth and looking to snap one up when I feel the bottom is close.