Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
.FoMoCo.

Default drive.com.au tests new Ecoboost Falcon!

http://m.smh.com.au/drive/motor-news...423-1xh1f.html

Quote:
First drive: Ford Falcon EcoBoost four-cylinder Toby Hagon April 23, 2012 Even six-cylinder diehards will have to admit the response from the Falcon EcoBoost will suffice for most people. A gentle squeeze of the throttle is met with a purposeful yet relaxed surge forward. More impressive is that it has close to the instantaneous reactions typical of a bigger engine. It's impressive for a 2.0-litre four-cylinder –and has more urge than many will ever need in a family car. For those who pay extra for premium unleaded there's a full 353Nm of torque, or pulling power, available from the EcoBoost engine from just 2000rpm. That's almost double the torque from your average small car - and it's available just off idle. Even at 1500rpm the Falcon EcoBoost is pulling strongly with an effortlessness that makes for easy overtaking or slinking through traffic.
Peak power is also hearty, claimed at 179kW, again using premium unleaded; Ford says the peak outputs are down slightlywhen using regular unleaded. It's not so much the power but that mid-rev flexibility that is the standout of the engine; it makes the traditional six-cylinder feel redundant. Interestingly Ford argues there's still a market for the standard six-cylinder engine, partly for those who believe a bigger engine is the only way to go, and also because the six-cylinder is rated to tow more; 2300kg versus 1600kg. The new EcoBoost also teams nicely with the standard six-speed automatic transmission, which works well to make the most of the engine's low-rev muscle. At 100km/h the engine is ticking over at about 1900rpm in sixth gear, making for relaxed cruising. Even light hills are disposed of easily in top gear. The transmission also shifts smoothly, responding efficiently to throttle inputs and jumping down a ratio or two cleanly as required. Fuel use for our day of mainly country driving hovered around 9.5 litres per 100km, which compares favourably with the claimed average of 8.1L/100km for the XT (8.5L/100km for the G6 and G6E). From an outright performance perspective, too, the new EcoBoost is snapping at the heels of the six-cylinder. In a 0-100km/h performance test conducted on a race track at the official EcoBoost launch the six-cylinder hit 100km/h in a snappy 6.81 seconds, whereas the four-cylinder hit the same milestone in 6.88 seconds. Drive also conducted its own performance testing using regular unleaded (the cars fueled by Ford were running moreexpensive premium unleaded that most owners won't opt for) and the results were similar, albeit slightly slower. The six-cylinder hit 100km/h in 7.2 seconds, whereas the EcoBoost four-cylinder took 7.5 seconds. Other than what's under the bonnet the Falcon EcoBoost is just like the FG Mark 2 that's been on sale since 2011 – except for the way it copes with bumps. Suspension tweaks have firmed the ride, most notable at lower speeds, where it patters over road joins and imperfections more noticeably. At 50 or 60km/h, though, there's more compliance, something carried through to the composure at 100km/h on less than perfect roads. The Falcon also settles quickly over bumps, adding reassurance. And over poor quality roads there's good body control that makes for a composed, yet surprisingly agile machine. The new low rolling resistance tyres on the XT model ultimately find their limit a fraction earlier, but it's only when you're really pushing. The regular tyres on the G6 and G6E -they're not as efficient so see the fuel official fuel figure rise from 8.1L/100km in the XT to 8.5L/100km - are slightly better in the grip department. Steering is still super direct, almost too much so at higher speeds. But there's little to complain about in the driving department in the way the EcoBoost goes about its business. Inside, too, there are acres of space, albeit with a fleet car-like feel to the base model Falcon XT. The grey plastics and dull yet rugged trim may be inoffensive but they hardly push the style boundaries either. The G6E we drove had some lighter, brighter colours and more interesting contrasts and finishes that team with the higher level of standard gear to make for a moreinviting interior. As with all Falcons, though, it's still let down by some of the details. The grab handles snap into place rather than curl down with damping, while the rear headrests are fixed rather than adjustable. That's not something unique to the EcoBoost Falcon. Still, the EcoBoost kicks many goals. It's a car that makes more sense than the six-cylinder engine that's defined the Falcon brand for more than a half a century. Not that the traditionalists will be having a bar of it.
For once I reckon this is an overwhelmingly positive article!

Old 24-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
prydey
Rob

Default Re: drive.com.au tests new Ecoboost Falcon!

who'd have thought.

interesting that 0-100 times are only a fraction of a second slower. not that the targeted demographic would probably care about that stat. not many people i know hold their foot flat from 0-100.

what it highlights is that it still will feel like a falcon to drive around. no doubt something ford worked hard at. this means if you don't lift the bonnet, the only time you will notice a difference is when you fill up.

wouldn't mind a drive of one myself, but i can't seem to bring myself to test drive cars if i know i have no intention of buying one at that point in time.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

thats why i hire cars prydey
i'm not going to dick around with a salesman for half an hour just to get a three-street squirt that doesn't really tell me much, and then only to have the salesman ring me every 3 days for the next year
so i just hire cars - $70 or so and I have the car for a whole 24 hours and i get to really feel and appreciate the car in that time.
Old 24-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
thats why i hire cars prydey
i'm not going to dick around with a salesman for half an hour just to get a three-street squirt that doesn't really tell me much, and then only to have the salesman ring me every 3 days for the next year
so i just hire cars - $70 or so and I have the car for a whole 24 hours and i get to really feel and appreciate the car in that time.
not a bad idea
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
.FoMoCo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
interesting that 0-100 times are only a fraction of a second slower.
Yeah that surprised me, too. Sounds like Toby Hagon was surprised by the tourque output and curve, I reckon, as well.

I'm starting to get a good vibe about this whole ecoboost thing....
Old 24-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I posted this in the other ecoboost thread, but I'll post it again here as it seems relevant.

Bill Thomas (Wheels Editor) has posted the following comments on the Wheels Mag Facebook page;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
Falcon Four (yeah, they like to call it 'EcoBoost' but it's a four-cylinder Falcon, right?) launch and nice-looking lineup. As you'll read next month, it's a deeply impressive machine. Believe it or not, engine really suits it. Brilliant chassis, too - far better than the new Lexus GS I drove a couple of weeks ago. More wonderful, truly fantastic engineering from Ford Australia.

Quote:
Yep, it's a sweet handler alright - lighter up front so it's 54-46 f-r rather than 56-44. Also centre of polar inertia is further back toward centre of car, which improves handling and ride. Suspension works beautifully, feels sportier than the i6. That's it from me, though - you'll have to wait for Jimmy's report, coming soon. He's driven a long way in four and six back-to-back. BT

And this in reference to a pic of the Ecoboost badge;

Quote:
Does this badge read 'best Falc on sale today'? Well, maybe it's not quite as good as the turbo six, but I'd have one over the i6... BT
Looking forward to reading the full test. Hopefully it'll be more informative and constructive than the pathetic EcoLPI vs Commodore LPG test in this months issue...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Great article!
Old 24-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I'm intrigued by the 0-100 time (even though I'm more interested in what the overall experience of driving it is) because my father in law works at a Ford dealership and has driven an EcoBoost XT.

He reckons it's gutless until the boost kicks in, and when she shifts up to the next gear it drops off again. Overall, unimpressed.

However I think he's been spoilt by the G6ET's and XR6T's which are ridiculously quick.

Regardless, everything I've read about how the EcoBoost Falcons go and steer points to them being a cracker of a car, and I've no reason to doubt any of it. I hope they sell as well as they deserve to.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
Rodge
Banned

OMG - Some favourable reporting from Drivel, wonders will NEVER cease.

Looks good, I really hope the public get behind this car, all that room and comfort, easy driving pleasure, good handling and its in the 8 litres per 100 km's zone. What's not to like ?
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

"Id rather the EB4 over the I6" = death of the I6 which is what HQ is after anyway.

Buy those XR6T/F6's while you can fellas.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #11
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

There's a few articles around....

EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
I'm intrigued by the 0-100 time (even though I'm more interested in what the overall experience of driving it is) because my father in law works at a Ford dealership and has driven an EcoBoost XT.

He reckons it's gutless until the boost kicks in, and when she shifts up to the next gear it drops off again. Overall, unimpressed.

However I think he's been spoilt by the G6ET's and XR6T's which are ridiculously quick.

Regardless, everything I've read about how the EcoBoost Falcons go and steer points to them being a cracker of a car, and I've no reason to doubt any of it. I hope they sell as well as they deserve to.
I highly doubt it drops out of power between changes. There would be something wrong with the car if so.
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting read, most of the performance spec will be lost in translation to the target market.
Real world driving is where it counts and where the SIDI fails, hope the EB4 works for Ford.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSV_LS1
I highly doubt it drops out of power between changes. There would be something wrong with the car if so.
No but if you FIL is used to feather footing round in a turbo 6, then the Ecoboost will definitely feel like that..
That's what it's supposed to do on light throttle, behave like the small engine that it is..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #15
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
OMG - Some favourable reporting from Drivel, wonders will NEVER cease.

I thought Drive where biased?

Now, the press have done there part, its up to Ford Au to shove this down the general public's throat...

I bet 70% of Australia would not know a 4cly falcon exist.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now we all know that LPG and turbos work very well together. Bring on an EcoLPi Ecoboost!
Old 24-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

This time round, Toby Hagon has given this latest Falcon version the thumbs up and rightly so.
The 3.0 SIDI is really going to struggle against this little pocket rocket in more ways than one,
I think it will cut a swathe through Omega fleet sales outpointing it on performance and economy.

Gosh, I hope this becomes the little engine that could...
Old 24-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #18
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
I thought Drive where biased?

Now, the press have done there part, its up to Ford Au to shove this down the general public's throat...

I bet 70% of Australia would not know a 4cly falcon exist.
I'd bet the figure is even higher than that!

How would people know? Of course bar those on this forum and those who read falcon reviews in papers. Which I don't think is 30% of the population.

How about a TV or radio ad Ford??
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #19
GTP-03

Ford have got more worries yet again unfortunatley, lets hope the supplier lock out issue gets resolved. Holden got bailed out to the tune of 250 million dollars, cant the government work out a package for one of the car industries biggest suppliers?
Old 24-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81

Quote:
We clocked 6.74 seconds in the Ford Falcon EcoBoost and a 6.71 in an LPG six-cylinder Falcon, before heavy rain ruined a comparison with the regular six.
Taken from the review from caravdvice.com
That's a seriously quick time
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #21
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

So...

shut your eyes, and you wouldn't know the differnece in engines..

Open your eyes at the pump, and you will.

Winning!

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 24-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #22
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
So...

Winning!

Really sounds like a winner doesnt it?
I guess its just the marketing side of things that need to ramp up now in Ford Aus. Without this it just will not go far enough merely by word of mouth.

Heres to hoping
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archilino
Know what?
I feel like quoting that and the passage above it, that sends a powerful message:
Quote:
A mixture of light and heavy throttle applications during the launch drive in and around Hobart produced an average of 9.0L/100km in our G6E, with a fellow tester recording 8.2L/100km in the same car. On the same drive, a six-cylinder petrol Falcon would have been expected to send consumption well into double figures, troubling the teens (12.9 l/100km?).

Zero to 100km/h acceleration tests at the racetrack also suggested there’s little reason for buyers to choose the six-cylinder purely for performance benefits.

We clocked 6.74 seconds in the Ford Falcon EcoBoost and a 6.71 in an LPG six-cylinder Falcon, before heavy rain ruined a comparison with the regular six. Other test runs by media, though, produced consistent results where the normally aspirated petrol six had an advantage of less than a tenth of a second (with both the four- and six-cylinder petrols using premium unleaded).
I wonder if this is the only test so far to be conducted with 95 ULP, shame weather stuffed the I-6 petrol's runs
but if track anecdotal evidence puts the NA I-6 at barely one tenth faster, then boy that's very impressive..
Old 24-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #24
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archilino
6.7ish for EcoBoost and LPG??

That's ridiculously quick!!

How fast are XR6/G6E Turbo's again? And how about Clubbies and GT's?
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #25
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

3.0l SIDI's only do it in 7.6

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 24-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #26
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .FoMoCo.
Yeah that surprised me, too. Sounds like Toby Hagon was surprised by the tourque output and curve, I reckon, as well.

I'm starting to get a good vibe about this whole ecoboost thing....
He would be, he's used to the high revving V6 Commodore.
Old 24-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So...

Winning!
Winning!!!

Last edited by mik; 06-07-2012 at 11:54 AM.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #28
Jake F6

Question is why have Ford Aus developed the EcoBoost-4 and the LPI-6 when they both have very simmilar performance and running cost characteristics?

That doesn't seem like very smart economies of scale...
Old 24-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #29
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Four-cylinder gains more in efficiency than loses performance compared with six-cylinder; perfectly matched auto; ride quality; composed handling; quick, accurate steering
Weaker towing capability than six; performance and efficiency figures based on premium unleaded fuel; interior quality not in European or Japanese league; large-car resale values
these were the pros/cons caradvice put up, surely towing issue is nit-picking as the power on offer from the falcon range ends at 335kw (I know you pay for the privilege).
That's a lot of car & economy for the price, let's hope those looking at Accord's/MAZDA6/camry's have a look at ecoboost too.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #30
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake F6
Question is why have Ford Aus developed the EcoBoost-4 and the LPI-6 when they both have very simmilar performance and running cost characteristics?

That doesn't seem like very smart economies of scale...

People who want LPG will buy LPG

People who want 4cyl will buy 4cyl

\≡≡T≡≡/