Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Default All Vic fines to rise by 15%

For someone that labelled speed cameras a "cashcow" before being elected, old Ted's certainly changed his tune?
Just saw the news that all fines will rise by 15% in the upcomming state budget..
Not just speeding, redlight, mobile phone use etc.. but ALL fines.. even having an unregistered dog or cat!

Honestly... Where is this state/country bloody headed??
Fancy having to rely on the public stuffing up to make the books balance??

2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: All Vic fines to rise by 15%

Thats terrible!
What is the total fine revenue for every type of fine these days for a year? Would $500 million be an exageration?

I just got caught doing 114 in a 100 zone, $244, so that would be an extra $40 for what? Its already expensive for doing nothing dangerous on a straight country road in the middle of nowhere!

oh yeah, I never get caught by cameras, its always real cops, as I understand maybe if you get caught by a camera you deserve it, as you shouldnt be speeding past parked cars anyway. The real cops in the middle of nowhere are what I dislike.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

You know I wouldnt mind so much as long as we went back to the 10% rule.

At the end of the day most are rather discretionary..but being done for a bees little fella over is just infuriating.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

If there is one thing I've learnt in the last year or two, it's that people will say what they have to in order to get to where they want. Take Julia Gillard for example, and now this garbage.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The problem is the federal government re-distributed the GST earnings around, and WA and Queensland? got more, and Vic got less, so they are now left with a black hole that needs to be filled, so they need all the cash they can get, and motorists are always an easy target.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well inflation is a few percent each year. So of course the fines need to be raised by 15% at once.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got to pay for all those on welfare some how I suppose.
Old 28-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the 15% extra will get the Vic Govt $70million extra. That would mean the total raised by fines in a year is ~465million plus 70 million = $535 million!!! Thats over half a BILLION dollars! No wonder they try to justify the LIES that SPEED kills!
I had a good chat about this with the cop that gave me a fine 2 days ago. I asked all about crash stats, and how they have boxes to tick when theres a crash/fatal. And YES Speed is ticked when NOT SPEEDING. Its ticked when they consider the speed to fast for conditions, like to fast round a corner/to fast in wet etc but not speeding, and speeding is noted in another way. In QLD a few month back it was announced that I think it was just 3% of crashes are a result of someone actually speeding over the limit! In England the result is below 2%!

The dodgy stats are just to protect Revenue! If you dont know what I;m talking about, the Vic govt says speeding is the biggest killer on our roads, and that it is somewhere around 30% of the time the cause!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/wel...-1226341224269
Old 28-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
So the 15% extra will get the Vic Govt $70million extra. That would mean the total raised by fines in a year is ~465million plus 70 million = $535 million!!! Thats over half a BILLION dollars! No wonder they try to justify the LIES that SPEED kills!
I had a good chat about this with the cop that gave me a fine 2 days ago. I asked all about crash stats, and how they have boxes to tick when theres a crash/fatal. And YES Speed is ticked when NOT SPEEDING. Its ticked when they consider the speed to fast for conditions, like to fast round a corner/to fast in wet etc but not speeding, and speeding is noted in another way. In QLD a few month back it was announced that I think it was just 3% of crashes are a result of someone actually speeding over the limit! In England the result is below 2%!

The dodgy stats are just to protect Revenue! If you dont know what I;m talking about, the Vic govt says speeding is the biggest killer on our roads, and that it is somewhere around 30% of the time the cause!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/wel...-1226341224269
Yeah agree with you here 100%!

A friend was travelling down a very quiet suburban street past midnight, when low and behold, she spots a mobile speed camera. Being the inquisitive natured one that she is, she pulled over and quizzed the operator why he was where he was, at the time he was, because he wasn't going to catch anyone speeding.

His reply, "we are fudging the data".

Typical really. The public service and government manipulating data to keep up mere sheep humble, trusting and happy to allow their over manipulation, control and taxing.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
His reply, "we are fudging the data"
if someone came up and asked me that, i would give that answer - they might actually believe me too, if they had no sarcasm metre
i have passed many speed cameras at or just over the limit and not been pinged. obviously it helps that most speedos read higher than you are actually going, but i doubt that many, if any are actually deliberately cheating to get money. they don't need to - the average motorist couldn't pick a mobile camera if they had a neon sign above it. then again, they virtually do, when considering their placement

Quote:
oh yeah, I never get caught by cameras, its always real cops, as I understand maybe if you get caught by a camera you deserve it, as you shouldnt be speeding past parked cars anyway. The real cops in the middle of nowhere are what I dislike.
are you suggesting there should be more speed cameras and less coppers on the road. interesting thought, because most people seem to think a lack of police presence is the problem. of course there is no point in having a presence unless there is a threat of being booked

Last edited by gtxb67; 28-04-2012 at 11:26 AM.
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes i often think to myself while i`m driving Melbournes busy roads they are built on purpose with crappy signage and fluctuating speed limits to catch the motorists out, in some area`s you jump on the freeway on ramp and and if you happen miss that speed sign due to traffic or blink at the wrong time you may not see another sign for 2 k`s, in other area`s it`s signage over load,
fairdinkum you spend more time looking at your speedo and checking signs than watching the traffic in front of you a lot of the time.
is it any wonder day after day the freeways in suburbia are in grid lock with accidents.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brisbane , Campbell is increasing fines by $10...minimum speeding fine is now $125. under 10km over the speed limit...
Old 28-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
yes i often think to myself while i`m driving Melbournes busy roads they are built on purpose with crappy signage and fluctuating speed limits to catch the motorists out, in some area`s you jump on the freeway on ramp and and if you happen miss that speed sign due to traffic or blink at the wrong time you may not see another sign for 2 k`s, in other area`s it`s signage over load,
fairdinkum you spend more time looking at your speedo and checking signs than watching the traffic in front of you a lot of the time.
is it any wonder day after day the freeways in suburbia are in grid lock with accidents.
agree with this. they seem to use other sneaky methods to trick people into speeding or even manipulate lights etc to annoy people into not concentrating
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #14
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

I thought they'd changed the rules with regards to VIC speed camera operators - they were only allowed to operate until 8:00pm (used to be 11:00pm??)....IIRC the change came in after a couple of camera operators were attacked late at night by unruly motorists who had just been snapped?

Can anybody clarify?
Old 28-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Obviously all you Victorians are much too law abiding and the overall revenue from fines has been dropping, so they have to make up the shortfall somehow
Old 28-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

Quote:
maybe you need to browse through this thread http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11363598 and then convince me that speed wasn't a factor.

when you spoke to the cop, did he say 'speed' or 'speeding'? i believe they say the former, and that is 100% correct. in most crashes, speed is always a factor. afterall, if you are not moving, its very hard to hit something. the bit that gets frustrating is the way the pollies and media interpret the stats. they are the ones that look at those sort of stats and jump to the conclusion that 'speed' = 'speeding'!!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Top Gear magazine, May issue, read Jeremy's article on speeding...very interesting !!!...
Old 28-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #18
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
maybe you need to browse through this thread http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11363598 and then convince me that speed wasn't a factor.

when you spoke to the cop, did he say 'speed' or 'speeding'? i believe they say the former, and that is 100% correct. in most crashes, speed is always a factor. afterall, if you are not moving, its very hard to hit something. the bit that gets frustrating is the way the pollies and media interpret the stats. they are the ones that look at those sort of stats and jump to the conclusion that 'speed' = 'speeding'!!
So what?!! Thats the thing, when speeding OVER the limit is a factor, it is NOT OFTEN! Maybe here speeding over the limit was a factor, but 97% of the time it is NOT! The speed kills campaigns ONLY refer to speeding OVER the limit, not under but higher than conditions allow.

Honestly, how many crashes/fatals have you seen in your normal driving life, I've seen quite a few as I do heaps of km, and I agree I cant see in many if ANY where speeding (over limit) contributed. The ones where speeding (not many) does contribute make the paper, so the public believe that this is the main cause.
Most crashes I see are just because of non concentration, fatigue, idiocy.
Old 28-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #19
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

A lot of people call it speeding when what they mean is driving too fast for conditions.
Old 28-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #20
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The ones where speeding (not many) does contribute make the paper, so the public believe that this is the main cause.
pretty much what i said. police collect data and if they think speed (not speeding) is a contributing factor, they tick that box. how that gets interpreted by the politicians and the media isn't their fault, although they don't come out and clarify things too often.

i agree, the ones that make the news are like the ones in the other thread, which then makes the public think that as long as you stay below the limit you are safe.

don't confuse speed with speeding.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #21
malazn mafia
Boss 335

VIC must be heading towards a recession. Seen 4 camera cars out and about across various suburbs around Melbourne today. Flashing all oncoming cars always gets the hand of appreciation.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #22
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Topic is fines in Victoria up 15%, debating speed or anything else should be done in there own appropriate threads.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #23
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driving at inappropriate speeds for conditions can and does kill. Either the occupants of your car if a single vehicle smash or all cars in multiple smashes. See "Peter Brock" or "Mr Senna" Having said that, I will say once more, concentrate on where you are on the road and make an effort to be aware of ALL signs on the side of the road. Then you will know what speed you should be doing so you deserve whatever you get when you get pinged for being over the posted limit. If you want to exceed the posted speed limit on the Nullabor plain or in downtown whever you live, you have asked for the fine. Don't winge about revenue raising...keep to the speed limit and there will be no speed fine revenue for any state gov't or "public servant". Speed kills...your wallet/bank account as well as people. In line with the topic, I would not be worried if the fines were doubled. Just make me take even more care on the roads
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #24
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I just saw this in todays paper and my blood boiled almost literally. I only have one thing to say about this:

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO WAKE UP AND PUT GOVCO BACK IN ITS PLACE???
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #25
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf

That happens every 3 to 4 years, Vic just did that had a change only to have this 15% rise happen....it wont matter what we say they all chase the easy dollars for revenue..
They will say don't speed and you wont have to contribute, I hate the fines that are a few klm's over, eg: 5 klm's over $140 its evil.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #26
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Great!! A rise well above the CPI. Gotta love the Nanny State.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #27
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
That happens every 3 to 4 years, Vic just did that had a change only to have this 15% rise happen....it wont matter what we say they all chase the easy dollars for revenue..
They will say don't speed and you wont have to contribute, I hate the fines that are a few klm's over, eg: 5 klm's over $140 its evil.
Oh I wasn't referring to voting in the other mob Spooly...

I can't wait to leave this s..t hole, May 11 can't come soon enough.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #28
purnong

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Brisbane , Campbell is increasing fines by $10...minimum speeding fine is now $125. under 10km over the speed limit...
You think you guys are hard done by, Check the South Oz speeding fines

Speeding
Exceeding applicable speed limit on length of road—
by less than 15 kph $252
by 15 kph or more but less than 30 kph $371
by 30 kph or more $532

I know this thread is about Vic speeding fines but this is what you have to look forward to
purnong is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #29
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
I just saw this in todays paper and my blood boiled almost literally. I only have one thing to say about this:

other countries have revolutions for what they believe in.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #30
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
other countries have revolutions for what they believe in.
And here in Aus, the majority dont give a crap or are brainwashed. GovCo knows they can get away with ANYTHING because people do not stand up. Sending in letters and voting in other pillocks does not count, letters fall on deaf ears, voting, well, its a case of dumb and dumber.

Why dont they just get rid of demerit points so they can just keep fining people, they will make ALOT more money this way. Especially in SA.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post