Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #1
kharnation
Starter Motor

Default Festiva Starts - Splutters and dies when warm

Morning gents,

This is my first post so advanced apologies if I'm missing any rules etc - let me know!

Vehicle: 1997 5D 5sp Manual Ford Festiva GLi - 226,000km

Strange issue that began Friday just gone in Melb during the heat..

Friday arvo driving home from work my overflow bottle somehow work itself up and off the clamp on the battery and splattered ****** murky water everywhere, although this caused no issues I got home and the temp didn't budge at all. I did a clean up and got everything back in after washing the bay and started her up, no issues, until after 5mins when it got to normal running temp it spluttered and died and would not fire again.

I left it over night, tried again on the Saturday and same issue. I thought maybe some water was in somewhere and moving around once it heated. So i left it for another day, and same problem still occurring... Runs for 5 mins and splutters + dies.

I'm now under the assumption this is a completely separate problem to the overflow bottle splattering and a coincidence. I don't have a workshop manual and don't know this engine too well myself. All I can think of at this stage would be a fuel filter issue or vac somewhere, but checking if anyone has some insights or experience I can lean on before pulling things apart... !

Thanks in advance,

Dave
kharnation is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post