Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Most Powerful FPV GT Ever to Wear Iconic 351 Badge

351 kW supercharged 5.0-litre engine celebrates iconic FPV era

Most powerful GT sedan ever produced by Ford Australia

FPV GT F 351 celebrates racing heritage and history

MELBOURNE, Australia, 07 May., 2014 -V Ford Australia has confirmed that the celebration FPV GT F sedan, to be launched in June this year, will be powered by a 351 kilowatt supercharged 5.0-litre V8 engine.
Developed to pay homage to the 351-cubic-inch-5.8-litre V8 Falcon GTs of the early 1970s, which made the model so iconic on the race tracks and streets of Australia, the limited-edition FPV GT F sedan will also be the most powerful Falcon GT ever produced by Ford's Broadmeadows plant.

To produce this landmark sedan, FPV's 5.0-litre supercharged V8 engine has had its engine and transmission electronic control systems recalibrated, to produce a benchmark-setting 351kW of power at 6,000 rpm.

That's up 16 kW from the most powerful previous model FPVs, including the most recent limited-edition GT RSPEC in 2012.

"I am delighted to confirm that we are going to deliver what our fans have being asking for - a vehicle that pays homage to the iconic Falcon 351 GT," Ford Australia President and CEO, Bob Graziano, said.

"Ford's 5.0-litre supercharged V8 is an absolute state-of-the-art V8 performance engine, and in the up-coming GT F sedan will deliver more power and torque than even its larger capacity forebear. And we've been able to do all of this by simply unlocking the latent performance that's already there."

The 351 GT name is synonymous with Australia's racing heritage formed at racing circuits throughout the country, including the celebrated 1000km enduro at Bathurst.

The GT F sedan will also sport iconic GT F 351 badging with inset orange colouring on the 'GT' script of the badge, harking back to Ford's heroic race-bred GTs.

To achieve the engine's landmark output, Ford's engineering team developed an updated version of its Powertrain Control Module (PCM) software which, combined with a unique calibration strategy and torque management techniques, has provided a number of improvements in engine and vehicle performance while ensuring the vehicle meets Ford's durability requirements.

Specifically, the new software has delivered improved functionality of the boost control system, enabling finer tuning of the supercharger for further optimisation of the power and torque output of the engine.

This electronic management has also ensured that while power is improved, no extra load has been placed on the drive-line or the engine components themselves, ensuring continued durability.
As a result of this fine tuning, maximum torque remains at 570 Nm of torque from 2,500 – 5,500 rpm. However, peak torque is produced for as long as possible throughout the full engine rev range, making the new GT F sedan even more responsive on the road or for track days.

The chief program engineer for Falcon and FPV, Peter de Leur, said the electronic refinements had resulted not only in improved performance times but importantly, an increased vehicle performance feel reflecting the strong results observed from the initial dyno work done on the engine.

“Ultimately too, apart from outright performance, our FPV customers expect their vehicles to have high levels of refinement and all-round driveability,” he said.

“For all of those reasons we believe that the GT F 351 will be one of the most collectable FPVs ever.”

The GT F 351 will boast the superior handling capabilities of the acclaimed GT RSPEC, featuring the same significantly recalibrated suspension package, to deliver racetrack-inspired handling, and better traction.

Wide 9-inch rear wheels with 275/35 R19 Dunlop Sports Maxx tyres will also enhance cornering grip and acceleration from standstill, while an automatically enabled launch control feature will tailor torque delivery to ensure launch performance is optimised and drive quality uncompromised on typical road surfaces.

The FPV GT option of Brembo 6-piston front and 4 piston rear brakes will be standard on the GT F 351.

Visually, the design cues of the GT F 351 can be traced back to Ford GTs of the past, with the team developing a ‘stealth’ stripe design package that is evocative of the blacked-out highlights from Ford muscle cars of the 1970s, complimented by distinctive GT F badging.

The GT F 351 will be available in five colour variants from the Ford palette, Winter White, Kinetic (blue), Silhouette (black), Octane (orange) and Smoke (dark grey).

The GT F 351 will feature standard matte black stripes across all colours, plus a performance white option on Kinetic only and metallic gold available on Silhouette. Silver stripe options will be available on Smoke and Silhouette.

“The GT F is a celebration of the GT and of Ford’s history in Australia and our dedicated team have made sure this vehicle can stand proudly beside any GT products of the past – and any Ford performance vehicles in future,” Ford Australia President and CEO, Bob Graziano, said.
“Importantly, too these passionate staff will continue to design Ford vehicles into the future as part of Ford’s 1100 strong design and engineering base in Australia.”
For FPV ute buyers, a limited-edition new look Pursuit Ute will be powered by the impressive all-aluminium supercharged 5.0-litre V8 engine, which produces 315 kW of power at 5,750 rpm and 545 Nm of torque @ 2,000 – 5,500 rpm.

Featuring the design cues of the GT F including the unique stripe package, the Pursuit Ute will be limited to just 120 units.

The Pursuit Ute will feature a GT front bar, F6 side-skirts and GT wheels and will be available in the same colour palette and stripe package options as the GT F.

The GT F sedan has a Manufacturer’s List Pricing of $77,990* and the FPV V8 Pursuit Ute is $52,990.*

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 08-05-2014 at 07:59 AM.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #2
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Default Re: Most Powerful FPV GT Ever to Wear Iconic 351 Badge

Makes me happy in the pants
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2014, 11:28 PM   #3
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Russ, sounds awesome. Good to finally get some solid information.

Rich

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WOW! Not massively overpriced either! Wonder what the extra power will do acceleration timewise?
With this new information these bad boys will be snapped up within days surely?
I just hope what happened with that Cobra GT's doesn't happen with this, hopefully they end up going to wanting owners and not morons that only wan't to make a buck off them by buying and then reselling them at inflated $$$
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2014, 11:40 PM   #5
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm trying to picture in my mind what they will look like going off the description, does anybody have photoshop to have a shot at what they think it will look like, the 70's look they describe with the bonnet blackouts and stickers sounds interesting!
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that's a nice way to end the era.
will the sedan be production or limited? i didn't see anything about limited in the write-up except the ute. it's a damn shame there's no red option.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
Trump
bitch lasagne

So the 351kW is the figure at the wheels...?

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see the Holden boys' already saying "bahaha 351kw we have 430kw blah blah". It will be hilarious if this smokes the GTS.
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
stazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

I was reading this last night, about time something was announced. They [Ford] played with our emotions for to long...ha ha ha

On a side note::: the same torque as the current 335?

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #10
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler View Post
I was reading this last night, about time something was announced. They [Ford] played with our emotions for to long...ha ha ha

On a side note::: the same torque as the current 335?
I don't think there is a single stock GT 335 that has 570Nm at the flywheel. I'd be betting its on the good side of 600Nm and then some.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Wonder if still has 375 kw on overboost or if that's even higher now.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #12
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a good mate of mine has an EB race car with a FG turbo six in it and it is 351 rwkw, he set it at the number as he is a Ford man through and through
Old 08-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #13
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
a good mate of mine has an EB race car with a FG turbo six in it and it is 351 rwkw, he set it at the number as he is a Ford man through and through
That's on one dyno though. On another it could read more or less.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #14
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your point being?
Old 10-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #15
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I think the F is redundant...just GT 351 is all it needs to be.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #16
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Updated PCM.... maybe TiVCT capability.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #17
Wolfinsheepsclothing
preying on lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post
Wonder if still has 375 kw on overboost or if that's even higher now.
I wouldn't be surprised if the GT-F use's just the same tune as the standard GT, GT-P and GT-E as we all know FPV under-rated them power-wise from the factory, most range between 300-340rwkw's which equates to excess of 351 at fly-wheel
Old 10-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #18
HULK_I6T
Banned

Lovely power numbers but the Miami was already impressive to start with.

A bit disappointing really, a PCM tweek, some Larry stickers and orange badges? Hardly a celebration.

Add $12k to the base GT price???

In my book they needed some mechanical changes under the hood to see off the model or really put it on a pedestal over every other Miami GT (or GS)...
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #19
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Over $20k drive away pricing difference over a standard GT which are currently $64k. These are $85k+. Anyone else finding it more and more degrading to have to refer to a GT as "Standard"? The GT should be the be all and end all, not a starting point.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I think we can forget a unique frontbar, why no pics still? Everything else is fine but no pictures at all is bizarre.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #21
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinsheepsclothing View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the GT-F use's just the same tune as the standard GT, GT-P and GT-E as we all know FPV under-rated them power-wise from the factory, most range between 300-340rwkw's which equates to excess of 351 at fly-wheel

So they're lying about the PCM tweak
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #22
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600 View Post
Updated PCM.... maybe TiVCT capability.

Daniel
That is what popped into my head when reading through FPVs words about the tweaks.... Car will be massively improved throughout rev range if they have actually managed to do that in the GT-F.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #23
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they have done TiVCT all will be forgiven for just "tuning" the engine. But why wouldn't they announce that when they announced what's under the bonnet? I think we are just getting a tune and they are doing some serious styling work.

Bah all this speculation is starting to kill me!! I really need to know what's going on with this car!!!
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #24
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Lovely power numbers but the Miami was already impressive to start with.

A bit disappointing really, a PCM tweek, some Larry stickers and orange badges? Hardly a celebration.

Add $12k to the base GT price???

In my book they needed some mechanical changes under the hood to see off the model or really put it on a pedestal over every other Miami GT (or GS)...
Plus all the r spec extras as well...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #25
furiousgibbon

Still 570Nm at 5500rpm, so the only change is above this point, aside from the mentioned difference in boost delivery. The amount of additional torque needed to gain an extra 16kW at such high revs wouldn't even be perceivable.

I bet the guy working on that software update could barely contain his excitement.
furiousgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #26
Wolfinsheepsclothing
preying on lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
So they're lying about the PCM tweak
sorry I missed that bit, I hope the drive-train can handle the little extra grunt, I broke my tailshaft with 355rwkw and if these GTF's are tweeked they shouldn't be far of that output
Old 11-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinsheepsclothing View Post
sorry I missed that bit, I hope the drive-train can handle the little extra grunt, I broke my tailshaft with 355rwkw and if these GTF's are tweeked they shouldn't be far of that output
They have already claimed it puts no extra stress on the driveline, so I think those extra 16kw are probably backed up with extra torque reduction strategies.

I'm thinking this extra power is nothing but a con. If they are claiming no extra stress on the driveline it's probably only getting the extra power at the top of 2nd or 3rd gear where the driveline is under less stress. And no extra torque either. So really bar the 351 number for marketing reasons it seems hardly worth the effort.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #28
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
That is what popped into my head when reading through FPVs words about the tweaks.... Car will be massively improved throughout rev range if they have actually managed to do that in the GT-F.
It's so unlikely, but if Copperhead is heading to FH for the finale they might give the GTF a send off.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #29
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apart from the disappointing lack of "Official" Torque increase, the claim that there is a better Torque spread - from "from 2,500 – 5,500 rpm. However, peak torque is produced for as long as possible throughout the full engine rev range", yet curiously that is less than the current official figure of 2200-5500 RPM for the 335 engine.

http://www.fpv.com.au/_assets/images...V-GT_specs.gif

From another (my) post of 05/05:

As there appears to be NO hardware engine upgrades - with only the "engine and transmission electronic control systems recalibrated" it is essentially the same engine as the current 335/315 - and therefore would generate the same 383 RWKW as the current engine - from a $1100 Flash Tune.

Thats 383 Rear Wheel KW on a Stock 5.0 GT335 running on 98 Octane "Straight from Ford" - (so possible not even run-in!) - from a Flash Tune only (NO other hardware upgrades).

That equates to exactly 450 KW (Flywheel) factoring a 15% Drivetrain Loss. And with a heap more Torque! Damn good bang for your buck !!

Check these out from John Holder (Skip the crap ads):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5-90rkQK2U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNbzQWtZ2wY
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #30
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FPV GTF general Specs:
Quote:

LE GT F

* Boss 5.0 litre, supercharged DOHC 32 valve all-aluminum V8 engine
* Maximum power (DIN) 351kW @ Maximum torque (DIN) @ 570Nm^
* R-SPEC suspension - retuned dampers, increased spring rate, reinforced lower control arm, bulked up anti-roll bar and revised rear toe setting
* Brembo 6-Piston brake calipers (front) with Brembo 4-piston brake calipers (rear)
* Performance leather sports seats with suede inserts and embroidered GT logo
* 19” x 8” alloy wheels (front) and 19” x 9” wheels (rear) with 275/35 R19 Dunlop Sports Maxx tyres
* Human Machine Interface (HMI) with Interior Command Centre (ICC) with premium audio system, 8” colour touch screen, Bluetooth® mobile phone integration*, iPod & USB Integration~
* Satellite navigation with traffic message Suna Traffic Message Channel (TMC)#
* Launch control
* Reverse camera with reverse sensing system
* Bi-modal twin pipe quad outlet active exhaust system
* New limited edition gear knob cover
* Uniquely badged and numbered
* Unique exterior graphics
* Sports projector headlamps

We created the ultimate Australian muscle car and with only 500† to be built for Australia it is the most collectable FPV GT ever.

Back in the 70s the 351GT took the country by storm, and history is about to repeat itself with the new Limited Edition GT F 351. Breathing new life into the iconic 351 badge, the GT F’s supercharged 5.0 litre DOHC 32 valve all-aluminium V8 delivers a massive 351kW and 570Nm of torque^.

Making sure all that power gets to the road as efficiently and instantly as possible is your choice of a slick Tremec 6-speed manual gearbox or the world renowned ZF 6-speed automatic transmission with Sequential Sports Shift.

An automatic launch control feature and 19” x 9” rear wheels with 275/35 R19 Dunlop Sports Maxx tyres ensure a perfect take off. But it’s in the corners that you’ll notice just how good the GT F 351 really is. With the R SPEC suspension package as standard, and Brembo 6-piston brakes on the front and 4-piston brakes on the rear, you’ll find the new GT F 351 is as much at home on a racetrack as it is on the road.

The deep, throaty roar from the bi-modal quad exhaust system lets the world know you’re coming, while distinctive GT F 351 badging and a unique ‘stealth’ stripe design package evocative of the blacked out highlights from the 70’s muscle cars let everyone know that this is a performance car with true heritage.

For a car destined to be one of the most collectable Australia has ever seen, the interior of the new GT F 351 has been crafted with richer, darker tones and more lustrous finishes. A new dash spear and gear knob cover along with distinctive highlights on the trim, a high series audio system and a premium centre console are all standard on the new GT F 351. As a final touch of exclusivity, every car also features its own unique GT F branded build number.

With the most powerful and advanced engine FPV has ever built, total performance, and unique design cues that pay homage to the great GTs of the past, the new GT F 351 is the ultimate embodiment of one of the most famous Australian muscle cars ever to take to the racetrack or the road. But with only 500† in existence, only the lucky few will be able to own this rare and unique part of Australian motoring history.

^Power and torque figures derived using 98 RON. *Bluetooth® is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG Inc., and is used under licence. Customers should consult their Ford Dealer on the ability of their mobile phone handset to integrate with the Bluetooth® system prior to making a purchase decision. Please visit ford.com.au/compatibility for compatible devices. ~iPod is a trademark of Apple Inc. Please refer to ford.com.au for iPod compatibility. #Ford has an arrangement to provide the Suna Traffic Channel broadcast for a minimum of 5 years from the time of vehicle manufacture. Coverage includes Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Canberra and Gold Coast metropolitan areas. Refer to www.sunatraffic.com.au for full details. †500 built for Australian market and an additional 50 built for New Zealand.
http://www.fpv.com.au/gt_showroom/le_gt_f
http://www.fpv.com.au/gt_showroom/le_gt_f
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post