Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
Pistol
pistol

Default Another pay pal scam

Here i go again I got one on Friday and today another one read on peoples I also think car sales .com might have something to do with these scams think about it I paid a sum of money to advertise the car till it sells well its being on car sales for approx 4 months

Thanks for the prompt response.. I am ready to buy it now for birthday gift for brother in-law and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want it to be a surprise for brother in-law so i wont let him know anything about it until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with it. I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address and the price so i can make the payments asap for the car and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com.au and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick it up after i have made the payments...

Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
Pistol
pistol

-----Original Message-----
> From: ryyeg7n7t3tsd9t@jetable.com [mailto:ryyeg7n7t3tsd9t@jetable.com]
> Sent: None
> To: home@ddnpaving.com
> Subject: carsales.com.au Private Vehicle Enquiry
>
>
>
> The following Private Vehicle Enquiry
> was generated by carsales.com.au:
>
> Enquiry ID: 3725805
> Date: 14/12/2009 07:49
>
> Name: David Robert
> Town/Suburb: Near COCOROC
> Postcode: 3030
> Mobile Phone: 0419827614
> Email:
> ryyeg7n7t3tsd9t@jetable.com
> Comments:
> Do you still have it?
>
Old 14-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

those jetable emails are disposable, can last anywhere between 1 week to 1 month or so

completely untraceable......

i got the same details except they are from Ronald instead

> Town/Suburb: Near COCOROC
> Postcode: 3030
> Mobile Phone: 0419827614

now been hit by these idiots twice!

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
MAD
Petro-sexual

So what are they going to do? Transfer money for the car, then claim they didnt receive said car and get a refund from paypal?

If you're worried about your paypal account, you can get a security key that you need to use along with your password to access your account.

My paypal account was hacked a while back, two transfers of US$500 and one AUD$500 left my account. Before I even knew about it, the transactions were stopped my account frozen for further use until I identified myself and the money transferred back. One problem the conversion rate was different so I ended up with less money, no problem, I rang them and they transferred the difference to my account.

Since then, I got myself one of those security tags just to be sure. It also works for ebay.
Old 15-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I also got one of those " I'm an engineer as sea" stories a while back but it was for the father in-law, so I played along for a while. As soon as I said," The car goes nowhere till the money is cleared into my bank account" the emails stopped and I never heard from them again.... funny about that.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Yep i got the same email the other day.
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
peeds13
XC AMS

I went further wit one and gav him a paypal account I no longer used to see if he would put the money in. Well he sent me sum email, pretending to be from paypal saying theres $17k in the account and all I have to do is send a western union account $750 to release it!!!
I went in2 my paypal account and ther was NO money ther, he was just trying 2 rip me off 7 fiddy!!! What a dawg
peeds13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we had similar few months ago,watch em there cagey little mongrels
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the one we had actually put money in our paypal account
but told paypal to withhold payment to us till we had payed ($700 odd) into another account,if and when we payed it ,then he would ok paypal to release funds
obviously we didnt (thank god )and we pulled pin on the whole thing
as said in another thread if they cant pay by transfer,cheque or cash tell em to
P**S OFF
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #10
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its either of two ways they scam you

1. its just a phishing attempt, they send you a fake paypal email saying you have funds, you click on link within email, they have your details when you log in, they now have access to your money .....

2. they pay you money, they receive car, they say it wasnt as described or something or rather, they get money back you get nothing....... dont see how thats even remotely fair in the slightest, but thats how it works

so moral of the story money is easier made dishonestly than it is honestly for minimum wage almost all your life....... and like paypal and ebay, carsales couldnt care a F- what happens, they got their $50-$80 for your ad......... cant even return a damn email to confirm something

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They have tried it on my SIX times now. I just start swearing at them then they stop and try again under a different name hahaha. But the last one I said "Please stop trying to scam me, im not going to fall for it." and they havent tried again.... yet.
Old 15-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I have a car on carsales at the moment. When a user logs in to their account, there is a msg warning of this very scam.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
Pistol
pistol

I notified carsales they said they have thousands of fraud cases at the moment when I told them it's there resonsebility they said they cant handle all of them so we agreed to suspend my car from sale till I call them back at a later date and re advertise it again at no cost to me,by the way I recived another 4 emails between Monday and Tuesday all of them the same crap.
Old 16-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #14
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I havent received any so far thankfully through my carsales ad. Technology comes with so many damn problems. I hate it how people take advantage of others and start this scamming crap. It destroys your faith in society.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #15
dale68xt
Starter Motor

had exactly the same thing he said he was a marine biologist working offshore and i needed to send money via western union to london to recieve my sale price.
dale68xt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #16
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ditto marine engineer when I had the Galant listed on eBay. Offered to have his 'agent' come look at 'it' and 'the item'....
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #17
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got 2 today. Last one asking if the bike is still forsale. Another Gmail account.

So I replied with a few choice words, and I've not heard back.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #18
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Which I knew how to send a virus in an attachment.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #19
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

This is what I received today for a for sale ad for my old ute.

Good day,

Pls, advice if this listing is still up for sale.... i will offer
$18,000. i am also in the midst of negotiation with other two
sellers but i just find ur listing more interesting than the other listing.

I will call no sooner as the negotiation felt
through cos i will be paying through paypal..... get back to me
if u are pleased with my terms.

Thanks and God bless u.

Regards
Matt

An hour later I got the exact same email, but offering $17500 instead of $18k. Then 15 minutes later I got the same email but for a different item.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 12:02 AM   #20
GB1186
So many cars and no cash

Got one today same story new name (John Marks) what nobs they write paypal about twenty times cant belive they keep trying with it and a bit sus suss when they would pay more than asking price :
78 XC GXL FAIRMONT
78 XC FAIRMONT
GB1186 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 AM   #21
elvisidal
Tatalia's a pimp!

I hate paypal.
More than any bank.
I also hate these 3rd world scammers.
I sold a phone on ebay recently and it took 9 times for a legitimate buyer to get it.
I said to one thing it'll be $900 for postage.they shut up real quick.
This is by far my favourite scam story ever though.

Powerbook scam revenge
Old 12-02-2010, 01:21 AM   #22
stang65
FPRJET

i have received several emails claiming to be from paypal saying that they have frozen my paypal account and to click on link. (DO NOT CLICK ON LINK)

I called paypal who confirmed they were not from them and was told to forward them to spoof@paypal.com
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #23
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisidal

wooooooow that was an awesome read! nice link man, bookmarked and sent it to all my friends
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #24
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

its a shame that these scams exist...
as the online car market is a legitimate way of selling cars... and an easy way of browsing cars...

this will make the whole experience negative for some people, and tarnish what was a good system...

Paypal = bullsh!t way of paying for anything... there is no security with it - after reading about revoking payments... its rubbish...

nothing that a bank cheque or direct deposit can't pay for in this country...
thats the way I do it when I buy a car...
Old 12-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #25
Mad Maxine

If they don't have the cash, they don't get the car, it's dead simple.

I don't even like bank cheques unless the buyer and I go to the bank together and deposit, with the understanding that once payment has cleared, the car is theirs and can be picked up.

Having said that, my best car sales transaction involved nothing more than a carton of beer and I drove off in my purchase immediately. Well, it was a Morris 1100....

MM

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #26
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisidal
I hate paypal.
More than any bank.
I also hate these 3rd world scammers.
I sold a phone on ebay recently and it took 9 times for a legitimate buyer to get it.
I said to one thing it'll be $900 for postage.they shut up real quick.
This is by far my favourite scam story ever though.

Powerbook scam revenge

We have the technology, can't we just nuke the third world countries where the scams come from? Guarantee after the first one goes kaboom, no one else will send a scam again.
I'd put in money to stop the laundering of oil dollars in Prince Johave's republic, I'd love to stop Reverend Roland from trying to buy things with a dodgey credit card; I'd also love to find the bastard who keeps telling me I've won the UK lottery. : :

Quote: