Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: How would you respond to the new Defence Scheme
Yes, would have done it and continued to a career 15 23.44%
Yes, would have done it for a year and left 13 20.31%
Yes, would do it and continue to a career 1 1.56%
Yes, would do it for a year and leave 2 3.13%
Yes, as long as I don't see combat 3 4.69%
No, not for me thanks 30 46.88%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 15-10-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
Sapper
Back to the AU

Default 'Try Before You Buy' Defence Scheme

The Federal Government is proposing a "try before you buy" scheme for school leavers where they do 1 year of full time service instead of the mandatory 4 years 'return of service' requirement. They are suggesting using financial incentives, which the defence forces have anyway, to encourage people to serve.

I think its a fantastic idea and i would have done it for a year before commencing my engineering degree at uni. Some people think its the first step to conscription and are deeply opposed to this.

What do you guys think, would you do it/would you have done it if you had the opportunity?

Old 15-10-2006, 12:10 PM   #2
BLKFPV
true blue from "The BOG"

year 12 and atleast 18years old ... it appears they are only after about 1000 punters

politics works in strange ways :the_finge

".... where having a FORD is all that matters"

not a 10sec car but a 2008 Bathurst 12 hour Race Car

(03) 9720 4448
to email click here
www.thebog.com.au

11/176 Canterbury Road BAYSWATER
Old 15-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Personally I think its a fantastic idea. It gives you an idea of what the ADF is all about and it will dispell some myths that some people have about serving.

I know that before I joined the RAN, I had no idea what it was all about and was actually scared to signup for the X years. I thought being in the ADF was all about being yelled at and not having that much freedom. How wrong I was. And I know that alot of people probably have the same ideas as I did back then.

If this was available when I finished high school, I would have signed up for a year, loved it, then signed up for the undergrad scheme where they pay me to study.

I'm all for it if it means that we can get people who can be passionate about serving.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
Old 15-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
XRQTR
TBA Customs

I think the main opposition at the moment would of course be because of all the places that we have troops posted, they would see it as just another way to bolster numbers and allow for greater troop deplyment to these regions.

It could work and I think it isn't too bad an idea, I actually thought about doing it many years ago but the time in was what made my decision for me, I was going to do an apprenticeship which by civil standards was paying about two and a half times as much.

The only way it would work is if there was a guarantee that anyone having signed up for this would not have to do any tours during that first year if they chose not to. If they could assure both the teens and the parents then i think they would get even more support again and might be surprised at the actual numbers they might entice to join.

That is the problem, as I see it anyway, is that people would want to but are uncertain of whether or not they would want to actually be placed in a hot zone.
Old 15-10-2006, 04:22 PM   #5
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

I selected not for me because i didnt have, nor would want a gap year anyway. With 6 years of uni to do, i wouldnt want to have put it off by another year. I hadnt heard that you would have to be 18 aswell, counts out almost all QLDers.

Having said that, i think it is a great idea. They have said that they would not be deploying these recruits into 'front line' positions, however i suppose that wouldnt stop them from deploying people to 'peace-keeping' missions (which can be dangerous too) and many other overseas deployments. I dont think they should let people choose whether they go on deployments or not, as long as they will not be in dangerous positions, it should be like the rest of the defence force, you are told where you are going.

I will wait to see how it pans out. I think it would encourage alot of people who wouldnt do it otherwise and hopefully it would boost the numbers. My brother has been wonderfully supported by the RAN and he enjoys his job and his life thoroughly, however, defence force life isnt for everyone.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 15-10-2006, 05:33 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Unfortunately most people would then see the difference between the military and the business world.

In the military you are allowed to kill your enemies.
Old 15-10-2006, 08:12 PM   #7
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

I say its a good idea..
Old 15-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I said "not for me thanks" but I think it's a great idea. I never wanted to be in military service, but there would be heaps who do, and would have given it a go, if not for the 4 year deal (i thought it was 3). In any case, I hope it will see the ADF ranks swell quite a bit.

I get the sense the ADF will be called upon lots more in our region in the near future!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 15-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #9
big_pete
Sublime

id love to do a year in the army, but no more than that.
very good experience to have IMO.

but id never pass the training!
Old 15-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #10
Longreach

Coming from the position of someone who is about to finish year 12. I think even if it is only a year alot of people will still be put off by it, i can't see how it will increase the amount of people that sign up for it by a large amount. I think the people that sign up for it would be the people that were considering ADF any way, yes it may encourage people that were sitting on the fence to actually give it a crack. But to increase recruitment numbers by a large level i don't think it will accomplish. Just my opinion though.
Old 15-10-2006, 09:46 PM   #11
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Unfortunately most people would then see the difference between the military and the business world. In the military you are allowed to kill your enemies.
I think some sicillians have found ways to apply that in the business world. :P
Old 15-10-2006, 10:22 PM   #12
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
Personally I think its a fantastic idea. It gives you an idea of what the ADF is all about and it will dispell some myths that some people have about serving.

I know that before I joined the RAN, I had no idea what it was all about and was actually scared to signup for the X years. I thought being in the ADF was all about being yelled at and not having that much freedom. How wrong I was. And I know that alot of people probably have the same ideas as I did back then.

If this was available when I finished high school, I would have signed up for a year, loved it, then signed up for the undergrad scheme where they pay me to study.

I'm all for it if it means that we can get people who can be passionate about serving.
Unforunately it looks like its only applying to the army. Must be too hard to work the scheme for the other 2 services. Will be interesting to see what the initial reaction would be like and then the retention figures once they've had a few years of this scheme if it got implemented.

They need to cut the Navy initial period, 6 years is way too long if you don't like the lifestyle!!

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
Old 15-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #13
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbystang
They need to cut the Navy initial period, 6 years is way too long if you don't like the lifestyle!!
6 years only if you're a techo. Other rates like Bosuns Mates, Stewards, Writers, Combat System Operators are 4 years. But I agree that 6 years is alot. I probably wouldnt have signed up if mine was 6 years.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
Old 15-10-2006, 10:36 PM   #14
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK this scheme will not pay as much as a full timer gets..it will however free up the full timers to do tours as the scheme ppl will fill slots back home.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 16-10-2006, 10:41 AM   #15
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

See if they made the recruitment process simpler and easier and remove some of the conditions. Then they would have a lot more people willing to join.

But the political aspect like Iraq is a turn off to young people as well
Old 16-10-2006, 12:16 PM   #16
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

I think it's a great way to encourage those who are seriously thinking about it. I doubt it'll get many people who were never interested in the first place, but a great option for those who are having difficulty in deciding.

Good on them for thinking outside the square. If it doesnt work, then back to the drawing board.

Nothing ventured = nothing gained.
Old 16-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #17
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

at least 1 year service should be mandatory after leaving school, put some of those 'idiot' kids in place inc myself. like most other countries, say no and its same time in jail.

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
Old 16-10-2006, 02:05 PM   #18
2fishingdogs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did the Ready Reserve Scheme in the early 90's. ( 1 year full time, 4 Part time). I really loved it, I had just left school and was 18. After the basic training it was pretty fun. And The booze was cheap as :baby bott . But it's not for everyone. Even some gunho fellas couldn't handle it. I would do it again.
Old 16-10-2006, 02:06 PM   #19
LTDHO
The one and only

When I left school I had this on my option list. An aprenticeship came up instead.

It would be good I think.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 16-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Its definately a good idea, but not for me, I stuffed around during my gap year...lol
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 17-10-2006, 04:14 AM   #21
old_mate
Smash the Boost

would be good for all the troubled/lazy youth...earn a dollar, get a bit of discipline.

even better is the scheme i heard on the radio today. Go to school at a trade/technical college. Still get a OP (qld version of HSC) and get cracking on a trade too. Hopefully all these new training ideas to get people into the trades doesnt create the problem of too many in a few years (or lower the standards of workmanship)

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
Old 17-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #22
turboute
turboute

I would have been in the army if I could have, damn deaf right ear...

would have gone through ADFA and became an engineer that way.
Old 17-10-2006, 10:50 PM   #23
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
6 years only if you're a techo. Other rates like Bosuns Mates, Stewards, Writers, Combat System Operators are 4 years. But I agree that 6 years is alot. I probably wouldnt have signed up if mine was 6 years.
I joined as a CSO in '99, initial enlistment is 6 years. Unsure if it still is but was last time I heard. 3 years is long enough to work out if its for you but I can understand why they raised the CSO enlistment to 6 years. Jack puts in discharge, gets offered hook, pulls discharge and does a couple more years.

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
Old 18-10-2006, 08:29 AM   #24
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_c
See if they made the recruitment process simpler and easier and remove some of the conditions. Then they would have a lot more people willing to join.

But the political aspect like Iraq is a turn off to young people as well
//// Too Late
they have already softened the conditions of entry last year,
glasses, flat feet,asthma,overweight,criminal history(minor offences inc drugs).
personally i think its a great idea especially if they include trade skills, but if they let the employment providers anywhere near it then forget it, they have ruined quite a few good schemes over the last 5 years,as they make more money getting long term unemployed jobs as the Government pays nearly 5 times more in those cases to job placement,
so if ran by the ADF then should be great.

Last edited by OLDFORDNUT; 18-10-2006 at 08:40 AM.
Closed Thread