Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-03-2019, 01:05 AM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
We just got back from a week in Halls Gap. Looks like this is going to become an annual trip by the talks we've had with the people we went with!

Stayed at the Lakeside Tourist Park this time which is a great facility. We had a powered site which backed on to a dry creek bed on the side of the park so gave us lots of room to spread out.
Just looking back through the thread to see your pics of the site you had. We are going to this park in July school holidays. Kept talking about it so finally decided to do it. They have a 'stay 7 pay 5' deal, so not too bad for 4 of us.

can you remember what site you were on? We are thinking of booking site 128 which overlooks are large vacant grassed area adjacent to the park. It looks like you may have been at the opposite side looking toward lake belfield?

do you have any more pics to share of the park?
Old 02-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
kinksta
Luxojet

Nice. Big fan of Halls Gap. Last time I went I was happily surprised by the Halls Gap zoo. I am pretty anti-zoos but I smiled and enjoyed it.
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta View Post
Nice. Big fan of Halls Gap. Last time I went I was happily surprised by the Halls Gap zoo. I am pretty anti-zoos but I smiled and enjoyed it.
my kids love animals, as do I, so halls gap zoo was a must do and likewise, we were really surprised by the size of the zoo for such a small town (in the scheme of things).
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We talked about going to the zoo but the admission price put us off it. Everyone that I've spoken to about it says it's great though.
We're members of the Adelaide Zoo and our friends from Melbourne were members of the Healsville sanctuary over there so we can go there as often as we like.

We were lucky though as the zoo did a visit to the park and the kids got to pat a dingo and snake.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rob, your comment on the price of Lakeside, I didn't think it was too expensive. All up, we stayed from Saturday to Friday and it was $270 for our family. (One kid under 5 so he was free; makes it a bit cheaper!)
Yes, it's quite busy there too. I asked about booking for next year as there is an overlap of VIC and SA school holidays so it would have been perfect for us. Turns out that week is Easter week and they're fully booked out already! We're going to look to go the week after Easter now instead.

As for McKenzie's, last year we basically had to carry the kids down and back up again. This year it was only back up for the youngest. The eldest walked both ways and the youngest walked down. It's a bloody tough workout walking back up those steps with 15-20kgs on your shoulders/back!
Get the kids to count the steps. I reckon that's how we managed to get the eldest to walk back up on his own

Facebook told me this morning that there is now camping at the Para Wirra conservation park: https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/pa...servation-park
Might be one for a quick getaway Rob!
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2018, 08:26 PM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
Facebook told me this morning that there is now camping at the Para Wirra conservation park: https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/pa...servation-park
Might be one for a quick getaway Rob!
Thats great to know, its only a 20 minute drive from home for me.
Sites look well setup, just need hot showers and perfect for a quick weekend getaway spot.
Some nice hikes around there and in the greater Mt Crawford area.

Looks like they become available from 1st of June
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

It's good the national parks are opening up more area for camping. Too many screens in most people's lives. Good to get back out in to nature and just do what kids always used to do.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
It's good the national parks are opening up more area for camping.
Are they opening up 4wd tracks too?

I'm wanting to do a Flinders trip, would love to go back to Mt Remarkable. Are any of the tracks onto the range open to the public? I'm getting the feeling not much is open to he public other than through 4wd tour companies? Couldnt find any info on the parks websites :(
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2018, 06:02 PM   #9
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Are they opening up 4wd tracks too?

I'm wanting to do a Flinders trip, would love to go back to Mt Remarkable. Are any of the tracks onto the range open to the public? I'm getting the feeling not much is open to he public other than through 4wd tour companies? Couldnt find any info on the parks websites :(
i'm not into 4wd stuff, so can't comment on what is available as I wasn't really looking for it. there is a park near mt remarkable called 'spear creek caravan park' which has 4wd tracks on the property. I don't thing there is too many 'national parks' that have 4wd tracks.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:10 PM   #10
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

My wife & I went for another overnight trip to the Prom & caught up with a few friends there. This time we stayed at Tidal & just did a 15km day hike with friends around to Oberon & back.

Perfect weather, great company, and the Tidal River campsite was deserted. It's usually p-a-c-k-e-d in the summer, during school holidays, and public holiday long weekends.

Pic taken at Oberon Bay

mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2018, 08:45 PM   #11
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great thread. Just bought some roof racks to help me out. Wondering where people would suggest to go during the school holiday break? (VIC)
Kids are high school age so I reckon they can do a bit of walking.

Thanks in advance.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #12
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
Great thread. Just bought some roof racks to help me out. Wondering where people would suggest to go during the school holiday break? (VIC)
Kids are high school age so I reckon they can do a bit of walking.

Thanks in advance.
What's your budget? How far from Melbourne are you willing to travel? Is wet weather an issue?
Old 07-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #13
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflux View Post
What's your budget? How far from Melbourne are you willing to travel? Is wet weather an issue?
I'm thinking maybe 2 nights. Ok with sleeping in tent. Not sure how much I should budget for. Travel is ok but 3 hours max I think.
Only have a sedan so can't really go off road and might be a problem if there's wet weather. And a tent might not be suitable if it starts raining.

I've camped at powered sites once before around lorne and took surboards for some surfing.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2018, 08:24 PM   #14
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
And a tent might not be suitable if it starts raining.
A tent is fine for when it rains. If it rains and the tent is a bit too small then a tarp provides plenty of shelter.
We've camped at Bathurst in a tent and it rained quite heavily one night. We just sat under the tarp drinking our beer. The tent also survived 90km/h wind gusts one night. We had to help everyone else with their gear blowing away.

If a tarp isn't to your liking, then check out the gazebos from 4wdsupercentre. I bought a 6x3m one with walls so will have heaps of shelter.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
2 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #15
prydey
Rob

If you buy a decent tent, rain won't be a problem as far as leaks go. The only thing that can be a problem is water run off. Just make sure you always have a spade so you can channel any 'rivers' away from your tent/living area.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

Grampians. Otways
Old 07-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #17
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I'd second the Grampians! Or there's the Prom; be prepared for four seasons in a day there though, and a campsite is ~60/night in the off season.
Old 19-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #18
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Im watching a couple set up in 7 as we speak.
Its funny, watching the discussion between husband and wife setting up is great entertainment, they look like they've been on the road a while as he's well trained.
A lot of 'yes dear's'
Some of the antics reminds me of a boat ramp on a busy day, reversing a trailer should really be covered in licence exams..lol
3 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #19
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Im watching a couple set up in 7 as we speak.
Its funny, watching the discussion between husband and wife setting up is great entertainment, they look like they've been on the road a while as he's well trained.
A lot of 'yes dear's'
Some of the antics reminds me of a boat ramp on a busy day, reversing a trailer should really be covered in licence exams..lol
yes, although being fairly 'new' myself, i'm careful not to pick on others much. we had some walkie talkies, but now just use our phones through the car Bluetooth. my wife normally hops out and offers directions over the phone, with it on speaker in the car. works really well.... except one time I accidently pressed the wrong button and hung up on her. how do you think that went

I won't comment on reversing a trailer either, as although I can reverse a trailer, I think confidence in doing so only comes from experience.

I had a quick look at Rocky paddock on the web, and it looks quite nice. A guy at work (the same guy that also recommended mambray ck) goes there fairly regularly and he talks it up, although often he doesn't stay the night. just goes there with his family and sits around a fire for the afternoon. he lives nearby. The only thing that i'm not a fan of is the pit toilet. we had a bad experience with them in the Grampians and it left a lasting impression. kind of tested how long you could hold your breath for...
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 07:51 AM   #20
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
yes, although being fairly 'new' myself, i'm careful not to pick on others much. we had some walkie talkies, but now just use our phones through the car Bluetooth. my wife normally hops out and offers directions over the phone, with it on speaker in the car. works really well.... except one time I accidently pressed the wrong button and hung up on her. how do you think that went

I won't comment on reversing a trailer either, as although I can reverse a trailer, I think confidence in doing so only comes from experience.

I had a quick look at Rocky paddock on the web, and it looks quite nice. A guy at work (the same guy that also recommended mambray ck) goes there fairly regularly and he talks it up, although often he doesn't stay the night. just goes there with his family and sits around a fire for the afternoon. he lives nearby. The only thing that i'm not a fan of is the pit toilet. we had a bad experience with them in the Grampians and it left a lasting impression. kind of tested how long you could hold your breath for...
Pit toilets are terrible. Long drops with sawdust are fine..............
We use an auger, drill a decent hole. Back fill and move every 6-12 months. Not everyone has access to an auger thou..............

This is on our bush block.........
Old 19-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #21
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Im not really picking, just observing curiously..lol

A young couple rolled in at about 9 last night and proceeded to put their tent pegs in with a small rock so i wandered over and offered them a mallet.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2018, 11:04 PM   #22
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

https://fordforums.com.au/attachment...1&d=1527163391

https://fordforums.com.au/attachment...1&d=1527163522

My set up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (148.5 KB, 35 views)
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #23
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Looks good.

Im seriously considering upgrading the camper trailer to a late model Jayco camper in the near future.
I've convinced the Wife to head away with me this weekend back to Mambray for a few days as she has a week off, i just love the place and cant get enough of it.
On the way back, after spending an hour packing up the trailer, i might suggest how much more enjoyable camping would be if all we had to do was push the beds in and wind down the roof...
Old 25-05-2018, 04:00 PM   #24
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

A few pics from last weeks trip

Our setup
https://imgur.com/TzHxZEn
There's an Emu in there if you look close enough

Old boy made a friend
https://imgur.com/JAL9OdE
Curing the new Hillbilly cooking set
https://imgur.com/slZ4NOS
Old 25-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #25
prydey
Rob

Quote:
On the way back, after spending an hour packing up the trailer, i might suggest how much more enjoyable camping would be if all we had to do was push the beds in and wind down the roof...
Mate, it really is that simple too

depending on how much stuff you take, there can be a little bit of packing up involved, but most of it can be sorted out once you get home.

if you ever want to take the idea earlier, you're welcome round my place anytime for a 'demo' of my van or just to get an idea.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 05:15 PM   #26
prydey
Rob

Quote:
if you ever want to take the idea earlier, you're welcome round my place anytime for a 'demo' of my van or just to get an idea.
that should have said, 'take the idea further'!
Old 25-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #27
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Mate, it really is that simple too
Im hoping so Rob.

Quote:
depending on how much stuff you take, there can be a little bit of packing up involved, but most of it can be sorted out once you get home.

Thanks for the offer Rob.

What i like about it is the storage space, we've already got plenty of dinnerware and cooking equipment in our caravan so its just a matter of transfering over to the camper permenantly, then its just a matter of putting the food and clothes in before each trip.
The van we have is a good one and super comfortable but at 19ft is too bulky to be dragging up there for 3 nights which a camper is perfect for.
I gotta say, i've been envious of yours since you first shared pics of it, its a nice outfit and looks even better with the Terri in front now.

I missed out on a cracker of a deal a few weeks ago. We had an elderly couple come in to our yard with a 3 month old Jayco Finch which they hadnt even used since buying from the recent show. They'd decided it wasn't for them and traded it on a poptop van.
It was offered to me for $18k and i was going to take it but i was procrastinating over the size of it being the smallest in the range of fold outs and someone bought it before i'd decided.
We've got a couple of 2000 model Flamingo's in the yard at the moment but they're getting on in age and theres a late model off road Eagle but thats pretty $$ and overkill for our needs so i'll just bide my time until the right one comes up and get it before it hits the yard.

In the meantime, i'll make the most of what we have, make it as painful as possible to pack up and plant the seed..
2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #28
prydey
Rob

Quote:
we've already got plenty of dinnerware and cooking equipment in our caravan
didn't realise you had a van. thought you just had the camper trailer.
Old 25-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #29
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are off (with 3/4's of the family) up the Buckland Valley again this arvo, should be a bit quieter this time, only going to 2 overnight, not too bad in a van with a heater - LOL
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2018, 02:45 AM   #30
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a Jayco Dove, the only time it is quicker than our old soft floor camper is when setting up for a quick overnight stop. Its all the other crap you take that is time consuming eg floor mats, cooking gear etc. If the weather is looking dodgy and you want to use the bed ends and awning, any time saving over our old soft floor camper is pretty much gone.

I wasn't too impressed with the standard storage space, while there is a enough room I found it a real pain to access all the gear as most of the storage was small spaces where you had to lift off seat cushions and the wooden bases and so on. I ended up gutting ours and making the storage much more user friendly. Each of us has a basket for our clothes, other storage is made accessible from the outside too. I'm surprised Jayco/Goldstream don't make a model similar to this, there are many that have modified them in a similar way.

jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post