Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-01-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
falconfreak888
Starter Motor

Default Replacement VIN stickers?

Hi, I am currently in a stoush with my insurer who has had my accident damaged Ford repaired (damaged A pillar/ broken windscreen). Since the repair, the car no longer retains the VIN stickers in the door jam. I don't disagree that a repaired car is worth less, however a car without VIN tags it's worth allot less and my insurer calls it depreciation, I call it an incomplete repair for which I should be reimbursed to the value that the missing components affect the resale value of the car. The reason I write about the matter here is to see if anyone knows, or has had success obtaining replacement stickers from Ford. My insurer doesn't say it has never happened, they say they have been unable to get replacements from Ford and have provided me with a very unofficial letter from Ford with my vehicle details. Any advice would be great

falconfreak888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Replacement VIN stickers?

I'm sure no manufacturer would provide them. Just the fact that they erase on removal would show how valuable they potentially are. Same as compliance plates
They are put on at the factory and no manufacturer would want loose ones in the system.

That said I think that you're right not having them does greatly devalue your car. I've seen late model cars at auction without them and that's stated specifically on the description as it's important.
Try your states motoring body for advice
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

Having dealt with this issue almost monthly since the launch and initial crashes of BA's, Ford will not reissue VIN labels as they are classed as a 'compliance label'
As Ford cannot guarantee compliance after a collision or even through general ownership or modifications they will not reissue labels.
Pain in the @rse for owners and repairers alike.
2015 LZ Focus ST, Frozen white with tech pack. Mountune intercooler, intake, Mountune sports cat, Mountune cat-back and Cobb stage 3 tune. FSwerks short shift and the best performance upgrade yet - Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. Quaife LSD.
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #4
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm into 60's/70's classics where a VIN is very important, but as for modern day cars - I've had quite a few and never ever looked at the VIN. It's on the rego sticker and paper and if a REVS check says its OK, that's good enough for me. I didn't even know there was a VIN sticker on the door jamb. I think you're losing sleep over nothing mate.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

So how does one including Vicroads and potential buyers know that the car is actually the one described in the registration details?

Some newer cars have the VIN at the bottom of the windscreen, but late model Falcons don't have this, nor any VIN stampings on the body except for the engine number that is difficult to read.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Later FGs have a hole in the drivers side carpet. Same as territory.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2014, 11:59 PM   #7
nstg8a

Don't data dots have the vin number? Or are they only on fpv's.?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Only on Fpv
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 02:54 AM   #9
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're stuffed.You now have a car with no compliance plates/stickers and as a result anyone with half a clue will assume your car has had a repair.Prepare to be married to it for a long time.
Old 30-01-2014, 04:44 AM   #10
D Block

For gods sake!!!

http://grafixunlimited.com.au/
D Block is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #11
Trump
bitch lasagne

They repaired a car with A-pillar damage???
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

If I recall, one of the stickers for the LV Focus was faulty and they were replaced by Ford. Was it the VIN??? Can't remember exactly as mine was changed around 2 years ago...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #13
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your car will have numbers stamped on it elsewhere as stated above but the loss of the VIN decal is not a small matter.

I had an issue with Ford re a missing LPG compliance tag. They never attached the tag at the Ford factory and it wasn't picked up at pre delivery either. It took a later owner (me) to rectify the problem as best I could.
Local dealer claimed my car had been written off (it hadn't) and that was why the tag wasn't there under the bonnet. It had clearly never been there and I had to get an LPG inspection station to issue a letter.
Summary: Ford won't help in any way, push your insurer to compensate you for the decal being removed.
Old 30-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You would be surprised how many cars do not have a compliance plate due to the stickers. It is no big deal, you can still register the car no issues. Most buyers don’t even look at the compliance plate when buying a car. I know the only car I looked at the compliance plate was the VH SLE I purchased and that was to check to make sure it was a VH SLE.

IMO your car is still worth what it was before the accident, and anyone can check if a car has been written off.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #15
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
your car will have numbers stamped on it elsewhere as stated above but the loss of the VIN decal is not a small matter.

I had an issue with Ford re a missing LPG compliance tag. They never attached the tag at the Ford factory and it wasn't picked up at pre delivery either. It took a later owner (me) to rectify the problem as best I could.
Local dealer claimed my car had been written off (it hadn't) and that was why the tag wasn't there under the bonnet. It had clearly never been there and I had to get an LPG inspection station to issue a letter.
Summary: Ford won't help in any way, push your insurer to compensate you for the decal being removed.
What compensation would you be expecting, the cars value does not change with a compliance plate. For the insurance company to compensate someone, they need to have been finically impacted, in this case the OP has not, just people’s Opinions the car is worth less.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #16
D Block

D Block is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #17
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

the ba series shell has the vin stamped into the lhf inner guard area under the bonnet,

Surely if a manufacturer chooses to use non removable (without damage) stickers then they should be able to get originals in a case of a repair with appropriate paperwork, possibly need to be affixed to the car through the dealer network

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2014, 10:33 PM   #18
provked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a repairer we get this a lot, all a manafactur or vic roads will give you is a letter of authenticity, which really is nothing, we have written a number of cars of from this, but it all comes down to the insurance company tha assessor and the luck you have a particular day, really the only way for that to happen was to jump up and down BEFORE any work has started!

As a repairer and a law abiding citizen ;-) I don't condone what D block has suggested but if its the value your worried about this would look legit enough for average joe, and really it is only a sticker!
And any decent sight writer could reproduce one but if its pealed off already your shift out luck sorry to say

EL XR8 daily

67 XR fairmont, the toy!!

Last edited by provked; 30-01-2014 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Forgot something
provked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #19
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by provked View Post
As a repairer and a law abiding citizen ;-) I don't condone what D block has suggested but if its the value your worried about this would look legit enough for average joe, and really it is only a sticker!
Is it actually illegal to reproduce it?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #20
falconfreak888
Starter Motor

There is no debating the vehicle is worth less. Two cars side by side same condition, same mileage, one with VIN labels, one without. Which would you buy??? anyone suggesting otherwise works for an insurance company! I have had an informal conversation with a car dealer who said they wouldn't even buy such a car no matter how good the condition. It wouldn't even matter if the reason was because some kid pealed them off and the car was perfect in every way. There is no way to prove or disprove the reason why. Nor is there any reason why a buyer should take that risk
2 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #21
falconfreak888
Starter Motor

http://www.qmv.com.au/type%20of%20valuation.html
Old 31-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #22
GT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Later FGs have a hole in the drivers side carpet. Same as territory.
That's what the hole is for.
We went through the same issue with my wifes Territory. I wouldn't accept the repair without a new tag, GIO ended up writing it off.
GT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #23
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
the ba series shell has the vin stamped into the lhf inner guard area under the bonnet,

Surely if a manufacturer chooses to use non removable (without damage) stickers then they should be able to get originals in a case of a repair with appropriate paperwork, possibly need to be affixed to the car through the dealer network
Following that line of questioning... I remember reading that when an engine goes under warranty the replacement engine will be stamped to match the original one. Is this correct??

If so... why all the hoo haa about a sticker? I assume they match engine numbers to 'keep it original'... then they should be able to supply a sticker for legitimate purposes and fitted through the dealerships for a nominal fee.

Old 31-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #24
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That sticker is the equivalent of the old metal compliance plates which are also never reissued

read the early replies and you'll understand why
Old 31-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #25
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

other brands would replace the sticker if sticker was returned up to a certain age.-like warranty. after X years there is no requirement for plates-its just a method for dealers to lower the trade price. all detail for most cars are in the system in NSW so its easy to check.

A vehicle without a compliance plate is as good as a scrap metal--but try that with a most insurance companies.

Its a drama when I rego my R31 Passage Gt. NSW calls it a modifided 1984 R30 skyline. It has no plate and no build date. when the rego papers are entered into the system she all apples.
It doesn't give details of what engines fitted only capacity.

common sence would have been to place the compliance plate in an area like the boot. the printing on my BF is starting to fade.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #26
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehoos View Post

common sence would have been to place the compliance plate in an area like the boot. the printing on my BF is starting to fade.
I think the plate in my old Citreon was actually in the boot just under the carpet.

Old 31-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #27
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Following that line of questioning... I remember reading that when an engine goes under warranty the replacement engine will be stamped to match the original one. Is this correct??

If so... why all the hoo haa about a sticker? I assume they match engine numbers to 'keep it original'... then they should be able to supply a sticker for legitimate purposes and fitted through the dealerships for a nominal fee.
My understanding is, if an engine is supplied under warranty by ford for the 6 cylinder, the dealer stamps the original number into the new block as instructed by ford, then the original engine is supposed to be sent back to ford and destroyed so there will not be 2 engines in circulation with the same number.
My Super Pursuit had a replacement engine under warranty, I would need to double check but think the new engine came with the same number as original but had a letter added to he end of it.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #28
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I fitted lots of warranty engines. we restamped the numbers on the block. My mate purchased an XF with no number and he had to remove the exhaust manifold and leave at Newcastle police station for 2 days. he got it back with a NPL number stamped on.

holden engine had dot matrix engine number like the chasis numbers on the late model fords. If you stamped these with normal numbers some blueslip gents would send it to the police for clearance.

last engine I replaced came with an in service number. the engine wasnt warranty and it caused problems proving it was standard.

Last car I owned that had an issue was a reco engine. the engine number was listed in 4 cars. I was given my new number plates and the other 3 got please explain letters.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #29
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
My understanding is, if an engine is supplied under warranty by ford for the 6 cylinder, the dealer stamps the original number into the new block as instructed by ford, then the original engine is supposed to be sent back to ford and destroyed so there will not be 2 engines in circulation with the same number.
My Super Pursuit had a replacement engine under warranty, I would need to double check but think the new engine came with the same number as original but had a letter added to he end of it.

Had my (then) AUIII XR8 220 long engine replaced under warranted by Ford, and the new engine was hand stamped by the dealer with my original No, and the old engine had the Number ground off simultaneously.

Keeping the original engine # makes life a lot easier - No Insurance & Rego issues.

Last edited by stevefreestyle; 31-01-2014 at 07:47 PM.
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #30
provked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nstg8a I believe it prob would be illegal in some way,

EL XR8 daily

67 XR fairmont, the toy!!
provked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post