The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
BroadyFord

Default Productivity Commission report to question value of car subsidies

Bye bye Toyota!

Quote:
Productivity Commission report to question value of car subsidies

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-pol...131-31r9y.html

A Productivity Commission paper on government assistance to car makers will recommend the federal government reassess industry assistance and question the economic benefits of billions in subsidies.
Fairfax Media has learned the report, which will be released on Friday afternoon, will take a tough line on further funding requests in recommendations that will raise the stakes for Toyota's 2500 manufacturing workers.
The report will be a further blow to Victoria's struggling manufacturing sector, still reeling from the federal government's decision on Thursday to knock back a request for $25 million in assistance to fruit processor SPC Ardmona and from Holden's decision to announce in December last year it would quit manufacturing in 2017.
Advertisement
Treasurer Joe Hockey engaged the Productivity Commission in November to examine the car industry's "productivity, investment, profitability, international competitiveness, exports, workforce structure and practices, skills levels and long-term sustainability".
The Victorian state government is believed to be already preparing for the worst, and is focusing on what assistance it can obtain for a much-needed restructure of the Victorian economy after recent blows to the manufacturing sector.
It's understood the report will find that $30 billion in funding has been provided to the car industry since 1997 and will question the argument, put by Labor and the union movement, that the multiplier effect of government co-investment in car makers outweighs the direct cost to government.
The report is expected to call for government subsidies to be reassessed and will argue that component makers would benefit from regulatory reform and increased labour market flexibility.
The Commission's final report on the automotive sector is not due to be handed down until the end of March, but the position paper gives a clear signal as to where the Commission's final report will land.
The report will increase pressure on Toyota, which is the last car maker in Australia and which will make a decision on whether to manufacture its next generation Camry in Australia later this year.
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
BroadyFord

Default Re: Productivity Commission report to question value of car subsidies

UPDATE:

The report has been released.

The PC has called for an end to ALL automotive assistance outright, including rules restricting the importation of second-hand vehicles as well as government fleets.

All over. Toyota will now close and Australia will cease to have a vehicle manufacturing industry post-2018.

Report is here:

http://www.pc.gov.au/__data/assets/p...e-position.pdf

Last edited by BroadyFord; 31-01-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 31-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

215 pages....... eek, I'll take your word for it,
if that is the case , then that is a real shame to see a whole industry go down the gurgler.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Governments around the world are competing to secure jobs and investment and we seem to be doing the opposite. I am tipping a rise in unemployment and a reduction in our standard of living. Positives to come from this is a fall in the AUD, so there are checks and balances.

Mind you I don't believe funding is the answer. But we need to look at protecting our industries (all of them)

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
BroadyFord

The entire report is a load of bull.

It doesn't answer any of the terms of reference and fails to provide any meaningful ways forward, other than to shut the whole thing down because it's a waste of time and money.

As an example, the report says Australia's level of assistance cannot be compared with other countries because it's too complicated to analyse the large number of programs available in other countries.

The whole report is one big joke written by a bunch of ideologues who can't wait to see the end of this industry.

Shame.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #6
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is nothing magical or special about being able to build a car in your own country. Sorry, but there isn't.

The car industry is a luxury that we can't afford any more if it needs endless taxpayer subsidies to prop it up.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076 View Post
Governments around the world are competing to secure jobs and investment and we seem to be doing the opposite. I am tipping a rise in unemployment and a reduction in our standard of living. Positives to come from this is a fall in the AUD, so there are checks and balances.
How do you figure this is a positive? For a country that produces a lot of things, be it raw materials or finished goods for export, a low valued currency is a good thing, kinda essential. But increasingly, we are not one of those countries. We don't make much any more, and the stuff we do export - ie energy, iron ore, food - has a more elastic market place, being fairly essential items and all.

I think people need to be careful what the wish for. A weak aussie dollar will only benefit a small portion of the population. The rest of us will just have to pay a lot more for nearly everything we buy.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As for the report, it was probably irrelevant anyway no matter what they recommended. The current government are so hard right, so fiercely ideological that nothing else matters. Free market, small government = no assistance to anyone for any reason.

The thing about the Australian car industry is that it was never indigenous. Sure, we had the Commodore and Falcon which were designed and built in Australia for Australians, but ultimately the profits flow overseas (when they exist) I think that is a key point when comparing our industry subsidies to other countries.

Sadly, I believe it is time to accept the industry is completely dead.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
There is nothing magical or special about being able to build a car in your own country. Sorry, but there isn't.

The car industry is a luxury that we can't afford any more if it needs endless taxpayer subsidies to prop it up.
That's all good and well, however name an industry (and I mean any) in an overseas country where there is no support at all from their government be it in the form of direct cash payments, incentives through reduced tax incentives or rebates, relocation subsidies, reduced power charges, red tape fast tracking, FTA where Aust. has the upper hand, etc etc etc.. You have farming subsidies in the US and Europe, limit's on imports into Asia for Ag products and vehicles, also into Europe and the US (eg try importing a pick-up into the US), direct manipulation of currencies to make exports cheaper. There is no free market except in someone's "ideological text book" and usually those banging on about how we need to always live under this mantra don't actually work in an industry that's going to suffer from these changes.

We need our citizens to be fully employed or as much as they want. A nation of high unemployment will be a far greater disaster then the financial expense of industry support, whichever one you pick. We all can't be economists on $250K/yr. preaching that we cannot compare our industry support to another country and so therefore let's not factor that in our report.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 31-01-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #10
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Governemt should buy Aus made, that goes for the rest of us too. Be it cars, boots, timber, airline tickets, or tinned fruit.

If we want here, support it, all of us.
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #11
BroadyFord

I know exactly what will happen from here onwards:

Toyota will want money to stay; the government will say "we've already said no more money, and there is still money allocated until 2020 for 'the industry' (i.e. 'you'). That's our offer, take it or leave it."

One week later the media will be camped outside Altona waiting to ask workers how gutted they feel about "today's announcement".
Old 31-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #12
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
How do you figure this is a positive? For a country that produces a lot of things, be it raw materials or finished goods for export, a low valued currency is a good thing, kinda essential. But increasingly, we are not one of those countries. We don't make much any more, and the stuff we do export - ie energy, iron ore, food - has a more elastic market place, being fairly essential items and all.

I think people need to be careful what the wish for. A weak aussie dollar will only benefit a small portion of the population. The rest of us will just have to pay a lot more for nearly everything we buy.
An Australian dollar at $0.80 - $0.85US gives us a competitive position and makes the cost of doing business with us worthwhile,
sorry your ipod/iphone will cost more
3 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #13
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
An Australian dollar at $0.80 - $0.85US gives us a competitive position and makes the cost of doing business with us worthwhile,
sorry your ipod/iphone will cost more
Yeah for sure, some industries would benefit enormously - tourism, exporters.

But for everything else, like ipods and iphones yes, but also petrol, a surprising amount of the food we eat, cars... the list goes on. Nearly everything that anyone buys would cost more.

So the question is, where is the sweet spot? Im not saying I'd like to see the AUD surge to US$1.50 or anything like that, but equally I'd hate to see it drop to US$0.70 or below. You might be right in saying 0.80-0.85. I wouldn't mind the 0.85-0.95 range myself...
Old 31-01-2014, 10:04 PM   #14
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I've often wondered if companies like Mercedes, BMW and VW get handouts from the German Gov.

If not, maybe the management in companies like Ford and GM are doing something wrong.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:22 AM   #15
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Germany provides approximately $7.5 billion annually in vehicle making subsidies.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2014, 07:01 AM   #16
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

But for everything else, like ipods and iphones yes, but also petrol, a surprising amount of the food we eat, cars... the list goes on. Nearly everything that anyone buys would cost more.

So the question is, where is the sweet spot? Im not saying I'd like to see the AUD surge to US$1.50 or anything like that, but equally I'd hate to see it drop to US$0.70 or below. You might be right in saying 0.80-0.85. I wouldn't mind the 0.85-0.95 range myself...
I only use the point of $0.85US as that is what I'm told is the ceiling point of favourable exchange for doing business with overseas clients.
I do purchase many parts from the USA and a favourable exchange rate from a purchasers point of view is great but if I have no work because the $AUD is too strong then I cannot buy!
I prefer $0.80- 0.85 as a happy medium, good for me and good for the country as a whole. I'm with you, $0.70US and below sucks!
Bill.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #17
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australia the once glorious country that manufactured just about every thing you could name.

Now all we manufacture is Dirt and Cappuccinos.

One day there will be Treason Trials and many politicians from many successive governments will be trialed. I don't know who they work for or represent but they sure as hell don't work for the Australian people.

I vote we have a productivity commission report as to the value of politicians. If we base the results and findings of the car industry to politicians then all income should be removed immediately.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #18
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I assume you’re talking processed stuff as nearly all fresh fruit, veg & meat is Australian!! It might help people move away from processed foods (the imported stuff) & help with that obesity problem Australia has..

Back on topic.. How can any report be saying governments should drop the 'buy Australian' policy? Just disgraceful!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #19
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Australia the once glorious country that manufactured just about every thing you could name.

Now all we manufacture is Dirt and Cappuccinos.

One day there will be Treason Trials and many politicians from many successive governments will be trialed. I don't know who they work for or represent but they sure as hell don't work for the Australian people.

I vote we have a productivity commission report as to the value of politicians. If we base the results and findings of the car industry to politicians then all income should be removed immediately.
Lol, and I'm going to find out who is on the Prod. Commission, what experience they have, do they do their own grocery shopping and how much they're being paid.

Edit: very quick search showed top 35 execs of Prod. Commission shared $6mill, lowest $100K to highest $500K (inc. super for all) and all look like grandfathers/mothers, where's the representatives from self employed tradie, small business owner, stay at home mum, heavily mortgaged family, struggling business owner with cash flow because big business has them in a noose.....
I say we outsource the commission to India and save 50%.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 01-02-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a pretty good full page responce written up, meh, ............but all i'll say now is we have handed this industry among others to artificially low cost countries that we have helped make economic power houses to our own countries detriment, and this like many other foolish decisions and events in Australia over decades past will come back to bite us on the *** in the future, of that i have no doubt.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Lets outsource politicians to 457 Visa workers LOL.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #22
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord View Post
The entire report is a load of bull.

It doesn't answer any of the terms of reference and fails to provide any meaningful ways forward, other than to shut the whole thing down because it's a waste of time and money.

As an example, the report says Australia's level of assistance cannot be compared with other countries because it's too complicated to analyse the large number of programs available in other countries.

The whole report is one big joke written by a bunch of ideologues who can't wait to see the end of this industry.

Shame.
I would have to express disbelief/astonishment at this paragraph,

To write a report and ignore one of the major factors of the subsidies in the first place is just plain lazy. "Too complicated to analyse! WTF!
It gives the impression this "report" was cobbled together in a hurry.
Incredible! It would be interesting to see how much this report cost do
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #23
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another Aussie casualty of globalization, it's sad but kinda inevitable. Big fish eats little fish.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #24
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

No point having cheap goods and a high unemployment rate. Why do you think US, China and Japan all employ various measures to keep there dollar low?

Old 01-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #25
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep voting the same politicians in keep getting the same results
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #26
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post

Yet governments around the world fight for it, makes you wonder why?

There is also a bigger picture that this affects every industry. I receive a lot of emails i can hire IT software development etc for $5 USD per hour a virtual receptionist for $3 USD per hour or an accountant for $7 an hour (who is trained an upto date with all relevant Aus standards.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #27
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Germany provides approximately $7.5 billion annually in vehicle making subsidies.
And your point is? Germany's car industry is one of their largest exporters, which adds a huge amount of GDP, we export next to nothing, which has little benefit to our economy in comparison.
We need to be investing in industry's that bring money into the country. This is what enables a country to prosper, not simply make things just for ourselves.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #28
robertjp

Okay if the productivity commission is so against subsidies, remove them from the mining industry, watch them scream....

This is starting to become ludicrous with all the industries that are being left to wither, at what point is the goverment looking after the people and not ideologies.
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #29
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The politics of "it's cheaper to do nothing" is replacing the vision of local enterprise and production.

In one generation, this country has gone from can do to just don't even try.....

One day our efficiency experts and politicians will wonder what happened to Australia's GDP and why so many are unemployed..

Once the Gas construction boom finishes, there will be a lot less business activity in Australia
and when all the fly in fly out jobs are replaced by foreign workers, our elite workers will realise that we're all screwed...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #30
robertjp

Why are the libs intentionally sending Australia destitute!Remeber that Mr Abbott said he was going to create 2 million jobs, has anyone done a count of job losses so far?

Do these guys really think that they will win the next election or are they deluded?
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post