Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2006, 12:45 AM   #1
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Default 300C beats the Locals in sales

Yep, its official. In January 2006 the 300C sold 133 units to Holdens 120 Statesmans, and Fords 55 Fairlanes.

When Harrison Ford hung his arm out of the driver's window of his 1955 Chevrolet in the cult movie American Graffiti he could have been pictured in a 300C.

The chopped-top Chevy, the product of an unprecedented yet short-lived time of post-war expressionism, looked mean and threatening.

The 300C of today has the same attitude. It's just that once inside, this one is a pussycat. Ford, who went on to bigger things, would be right at home.

The 300C marks Chrysler's return to a rear-wheel-drive large-car platform. It is yet another vehicle to benefit from the Mercedes-Benz-Chrysler merger. In fact, about 20 per cent of its parts are Mercedes-sourced, including the multi-link rear suspension, steering column, and the five-speed auto transmission from the E-Class.

It's also the second model, after the Grand Cherokee, to arrive here with the big-bore 5.7-litre HEMI V8 engine. If that's too big and thirsty, there is a smaller 3.5-litre V6 engine that is cheaper. But, externally the car is the same.

Clearly, the look of the 300C is the key to its success. In January, the 300C outsold (133 cars) its class rivals, the Holden Statesman (120) and Ford Fairlane (55).

Forget the fuel crisis. The reason the Yank won this race is because it is distinctive. Nothing shares its styling and, as buyers seek to stamp their individuality on their possessions, wacky things like the 300C have become popular.

Don't forget it's pretty good value for money, especially if you put a price on being different.

The V8 costs $59,990, while the V6 is $6000 cheaper, at $53,990.
Standard in the V8 are leather upholstery, electric front seats with memory, electric windows and mirrors, cruise control, rain-sensing wipers, climate control, rear-park assist and six airbags.

The more lavish V8 also has a premium seven-speaker Boston Acoustics sound system.

The only options for the V8 are premium paint ($370), and electric sunroof ($2430), with possibly a satellite-navigation system added to that list in the future.

The interior has strong overtones of the 1950s and 1960s, not necessarily in styling, though there are hints of yesteryear, but more in cabin space.

The seats are thick and armchair-like, the side windows narrow to create an impression of intimacy, and chrome highlights reflect luxury.

Comfort is first-class for the passengers, though the driver may have to battle to get comfortable behind a steering wheel that has no telescopic adjustment.

It has an attractive instrument layout and, tilt the head slightly upwards and there's a broad bonnet. Seeing a bonnet from the driver's seat of a car built in the third millennium, is like a country lad seeing the ocean for the first time.

As you would expect, the ride comfort is first-rate, with the big chairs and compliant suspension providing a smooth journey.

Surprisingly, this big US lump actually handles well through bends. What could have rivalled jelly for cornering, is more like a fruity, firm Christmas cake.

There is understeer, but that's found at relatively higher speeds.

Its handling is helped by a good list of safety gear, including Electronic Stability Program, Emergency Brake Assist, Traction Control System and ABS brakes.

Throw the 300C into a corner and the ESP shows it is working by some noisy clunks under the body and noticeable retardation of the engine.

It's a nice, safety feature that goes with features such as the six airbags, side mirrors that dip when reversing and the ultra-bright xenon headlights.

Yes, the V8 is pretty much out of the dark ages, but it performs as good as a more modern engine.

It is helped by some electronic aids and the silky five-speed auto gearbox.

It's quick off the mark, responsive for overtaking, and quiet when treated gently, but sounds magnificent when on song. It is also thirsty.

A combination of city, suburbs and country saw the test car clock 13.9 litres/100km. After a track session it was in the 16s.

Apparently you can save fuel by taking it easy and the ability to cut fuel to four cylinders when idling or coasting also helps.

It didn't help me much, though I'd be prepared to pay the fuel bill just to enjoy the car.

I like this car — a lot! But why the hell is there a space-saving tyre in a car competing against big Aussie saloons? Simply ridiculous.

Without a proper spare, I'd be reluctant to take it too far into the country, which is a pity because this would make a superb cruiser. Maybe it's best suited just to city cruising, with Harrison Ford at the wheel . . .

The Sunday Times

I guess you guys who thought it would take off were right. One thing I have noticed is that the more you look at them, the cooler they look.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 12:48 AM   #2
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

They still look crap.
..now back to Ford..
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 12:53 AM   #3
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I can understand the 300c sales.

But man, are fairlane sales that bad, christ (im not even game to look at LTD sales). What makes it even sadder too is 80% of those fairlanes probably went straight to the government or a workshop to get converted into Limos/Hearses.

Advanced suspension, rigid body, nice interior, the 6 speed auto and a torquey 230kw V8 and still no one wants one, yet people will buy an antiquated LS1 statesman with old suspension and a shocking 4speed auto.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 12:57 AM   #4
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i can see why the 300C sells, it is a gorgeous car and I certainly would love one over the aussie two. The fairlane/LTD are horrible looking cars and Ford haven't had a decent one since the NL. the stato and caprice aren't too bad at all, better value for money than the ford duo.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 01:13 AM   #5
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

They do have a certain air about them. I'm a little surprise and wonder how consistant that sales figure will be over time.

I have longed for chrysler to return though. I want something to take on the Falcon/Commodore market segment.
Old 22-02-2006, 04:41 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I can see why the 300C has outsold both Ford and Holden in that market ... it's a far superior car for the price ... Out of the 3 ... I'd put money down for the 300C ... no doubt about it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 05:06 AM   #7
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

wait until a few tuning houses start cracking the numbers out of them ...mmmmm drools

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 05:35 AM   #8
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Hated them at first sight but now i bloody love how different they look to anything else on the road. Yet to see one in motion though.

Last edited by JADED6; 22-02-2006 at 05:40 AM.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 05:47 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
Hated them at first sight but now i bloody love how different they look to anything else on the road. Yet to see one in motion though.
One word ... PIMP ... from factory as well ... LOL
In black they look like a Mafia Staff Car.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 06:17 AM   #10
Steffo
LPG > You

Loved them at first, but now they're not so good. Seen a few in real life. They're very low stock, and the body roll is extremley scary.

Plus from what I've heard, they're the typical American idea of a good car. A moving couch.

I'll stick to Falcons.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 08:57 AM   #11
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Apparently they have enormous body roll, and I'm not so sure about their suitability either, when US roads are much better than our roads. Still, on the looks side of things they do appeal.

In relation to the stato fairlane difference in numbers it must be down to issues like V8 power in stock form, and one serious thing is the lack of a big back seat in the fairlane since the BA. Otherwise I pegged em as even, but don't the numbers tell the story.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 09:06 AM   #12
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Loved them at first, but now they're not so good. Seen a few in real life. They're very low stock, and the body roll is extremley scary.

Plus from what I've heard, they're the typical American idea of a good car. A moving couch.

I'll stick to Falcons.
It's easier to fix body roll with some suspension changes, than to fix a fundamental value and equipment problem! :

The Fairlane and LTD would be great and competitive cars, if only they were $15k+ cheaper. As it is, there is absolutely no value whatsoever in even considering one brand new. They are not a bad car let's be honest, but in this segment being just "not bad" is not exactly going to set the sales chart on fire is it.

The 300C is new (to us here), it is different (not "just another domestic LWB"), it is great value in terms of spec and equipment, and it definitely has presence. Neither the Fairlane or Statesman can claim to have ANY of those points. :
Old 22-02-2006, 09:16 AM   #13
pb02
inconceivable!

I love the look of them but I saw a Top Gear episode and they HATED the 300C!!!!
They loved the look but said the handling was similar to that of a boat and the brakes where pathetic and the chassis was weak and not up to scratch!!!

Honestly I've never seen Top Gear pay out so much on a car before.
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 09:26 AM   #14
Go Fords!!
CRU63R

I reckon they are pretty good for the money..My uncle bought one as soon as they came out (he got the V6 not the V8). 183kw @ 6400rpm, 340Nm @3800rpm and 1710kg kerb mass

For more specs heres a link

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsa...isplay_vehicle

I like the tyres on them 225/60 R18.. 345mm front brakes are pretty cool ..Very luxurious inside walnut and chrome with old style white gauges..very classy...The whole car p retty much sets itself up when you turn the ignition on..it remembers all your settings like where all your mirrors were positioned prior to turning off and even tells you the pressure you have in your tyres!!

Theres a whole stack more features and for nearly two tonnes of car for 53,990 not bad value I reckon...They are coming out with a wagon version as well..heaps bigger than the falcon in boot space apparently and you can get it with the hemi v8 which can deactiviate 4 cylinders to save fuel...not sure on pricing as yet but sounds like it could win a few people over

1963 1/2 Galaxie 500XL 2dr Fastback
390FE
Auto
Bucket Seats

Last edited by Go Fords!!; 22-02-2006 at 09:41 AM.
Go Fords!! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 10:41 AM   #15
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Exactly, the value I think is good. I have a big beef with fairlanes. I think a fairlane should look completely different. Momentarily forget that my favorite fairlane is a ZG for a minute...I love that shape. :

Anyway, ZH fairlane is a completely different looking car to an XC falcon. Likewise, the P6 LTD is different enough. Mechanically basically the same...but it looked like a different car.

As time passed, Fairlanes looked less and less different from their Falcon cousins until, one day, Ford releases a BA Fairlane. :togo:
You have to squint to see the difference. Even the AU Fairlane, while not being everyones cup of tea, it looked different. In fact, I think it has a big potential to pimp up done the right way. :evil3:

Sadly, as so little fairlanes are sold - Ford will never put in the effort to make LWB models rock again... Like they should. :sm_headba
Old 22-02-2006, 11:21 AM   #16
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

It definitely stands out in a croud, but I wonder if they've sorted out longevity for Australian conditions; Jeep Cherokee's are starting to fall apart.

Here is another article; Budget Bentley
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 12:14 PM   #17
borry
Now With 2 Cylinders More

there is one here on the sunny coast, number plates IBLING - and being all black with 22inch chrome deep dish rollign stock it sure backs up that statement
borry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #18
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
Ditto. Who gives a rat's ars3 about handling? You hardly go out to buy a LTD or Caprice for handling. A mere comfortable cruiser that looks cool - with 22s they look superb!! They need the mesh type grille though to pull it off.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #19
aualright

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven
Exactly, the value I think is good. I have a big beef with fairlanes. I think a fairlane should look completely different. Momentarily forget that my favorite fairlane is a ZG for a minute...I love that shape. :

Anyway, ZH fairlane is a completely different looking car to an XC falcon. Likewise, the P6 LTD is different enough. Mechanically basically the same...but it looked like a different car.

As time passed, Fairlanes looked less and less different from their Falcon cousins until, one day, Ford releases a BA Fairlane. :togo:
You have to squint to see the difference. Even the AU Fairlane, while not being everyones cup of tea, it looked different. In fact, I think it has a big potential to pimp up done the right way. :evil3:

Sadly, as so little fairlanes are sold - Ford will never put in the effort to make LWB models rock again... Like they should. :sm_headba
I agree that a Fairlane shouldn't look like a Falcon which is holding back the current model. My neighbour has a GS 220 and it looks great in gun metal grey, but in the common white, it is very ordinary. Why pay that amount when you could get a Fairmont Ghia, despite the shorter wheelbase?

What makes me laugh about the Statesman is that the shape hasn't changed for years (take a risk once in a while Holden..VB -VL hehe...!!!), yet I've never liked the look of them more despite the interior (of the Commodore too) looking like it was designed with crayons.

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 02:42 PM   #20
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

I believe thre was an aerodynamic comparison between a 4 story block of flats and a 300 the 300 won, JUST..
Old 22-02-2006, 03:07 PM   #21
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

I actually reckon they look really good in the flesh, but was VERY surprised how 'compact' they actually are. In the mag write ups they look a pretty big thing but in reallity they have a snug interior, one that you'd be hard pressed to get three big lads in the back of, actually make that three medium lads.

While I didn't get a drive, (only from the passenger seat) it went very well, was ghostly quiet and felt as if it had well sorted suspension. The interior of that particular car was all leather, at least 6 cows worth, it was high quality and had great fit and finish. The guages were very classy and resembled a brushed alloy finish. The shifter was pox, chromed plastic look, but the interior lighting was great as was the carpet and dash. Switch gear again was better than anything Ive scene in a locally built car.

The guy driving it was actually a HOLDEN sales rep, and swore black and blue he had personally had three confirmed (signed) orders in the 24 hours he had been showing the car around to select clients (HSV and Statesmen / Caprice owners.)

The wheels were spew material, the tyres were like they belonged on a Toyota Crown, but other than those small (and easily fixed) things it was a nice package.

When My head has turned completely grey, one of them plus forced induction would be just thing to go for Sunday drives. Bowlers hat and all....

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 03:21 PM   #22
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane

But man, are fairlane sales that bad, christ (im not even game to look at LTD sales). What makes it even sadder too is 80% of those fairlanes probably went straight to the government or a workshop to get converted into Limos/Hearses.
Dont forget Taxi's like Silver Service here in Sydney drive Fairlanes.

On Mtv's ribs they had some rapper who had a stretch 300c and airplane 1st class seats installed.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #23
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

They look awesome driving along the road coming at you, i would love one
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

they mite be selling well now, but so did the BA fairlane when they first came out, people had ordered them all over the place...

Id just say they are still filling early orders and that in time things will get quieter.

See Holden has upgraded the Statemen now, the International is the Base model then the Grange!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 06:09 PM   #25
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

Yeah I gotta agree with the guys from Top Gear. I am a fan of the looks, especially when the big rims and bodykits are added; just like the one at the MotorShow, but that about all that turns me on about it... sleep:

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 06:13 PM   #26
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ford and Holden have NOTHING on the 300C.

If someone gave me 60k and said buy a new car. I would get one over a GT. And thats saying alot.

There is one where I live, huge 20' chromies...its horn. Even stock ones that go buy I cannot help but stare. I will own a 300C one day, I think they are one of teh best cars on the market ($$$ wise).

And that grill....it just screams ИИИИ OFF!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 06:13 PM   #27
YELLAUTE
old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane

Advanced suspension, rigid body, nice interior, the 6 speed auto and a torquey 230kw V8 and still no one wants one, yet people will buy an antiquated LS1 statesman with old suspension and a shocking 4speed auto.
I bought one new 3 years ago (AU2LTD - $72grand) The lease finishes next month and no way am I looking at a LTD to replace it. Ford do not have a clue of how to look after this part of the market. I was mucked around in the service / warranty departments of two major Perth dealers and treated like I was complaining about small items on a base model Hyundai or Kia. Major items like noisey rear suspension and leaking sun roof not to mention colour rubbing off the leather steering wheel in 3000klms were never fixed in three years of service and warranty claims.

If Ford had looked after my car I would, out of loyality, just ordered up another this year and not even looked elsewhere.

The 300 C is cheaper, looks the part, and here in Perth is sold by one of the more prestige car dealers (Chellingworths) and they have a reputation of looking after their customers. It looks like I will be without a big Ford sedan for the first time in 22years.

"Old fartism" like "young d!ckheadism" is an attitude and lifestyle choice......

PX Ranger XLT 3.2 6sp Auto Super Cab
2012 Focus Mk2 Sport Manual
YELLAUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #28
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

YELLAUTE

mate you said it all. ford dont have the cash to play in that market (holden struggles just as much). And the fairmont Ghia is not quite there. dissapointing reallt since ford was the one that pioneered it.

Both Ford and GM need to lift there game...both cars are half arsed attempts at a luxury car. ing_sm
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 22-02-2006 at 06:23 PM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 06:22 PM   #29
Franky
Bring back the Phase

People willing to pay big money on a car want to be seen and nothing says "look at me!" more than this beast. It also has a very meaty and loud exhaust note that i'm a big fan of since seeing one being blasted down sandown as a safety car. Yeah ok, it might not be the best car to drive but it's clearly not why people want them

Fact is the fairlane is garbage, it's overpriced has limited features and looks identical to the fairmont (despite being labeled as sporty with it's very grandpa looks and underpowered V8 engine) which is cheaper and just as good.
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #30
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Fleet Managers love them atm.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post