Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-10-2021, 03:43 PM   #91
slowsnake
Banned

Default Re: Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
The best way to get a deal on coffees is simple,. Find a place you like, get social with 1 or more of the staff. You know find out one of their interests. Even if its not something that interests you, still every other time ask hows their interest. So become more of a person then just a customer.
So its reverse customer service. It doesn't always work, but when it does you either get a higher quality service or discounts, like a large for the price of a small etc. Worst case you get greeted by name which is nice compared to a hi what would you like?.
You wouldn't have a " brown nose " by any chance!
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2021, 03:45 PM   #92
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
You wouldn't have a " brown nose " by any chance!
Nah, i could sell salt to a snail, so i charm my way into deals.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2021, 04:02 PM   #93
prydey
Rob

I pay $46/kg for my beans (from merlo in Brisbane).

1kg of beans will make around 100 drinks, give or take (assuming around 20g for a double shot, most are less).

Factoring in the price of milk it's about $0.70/drink (200ml per drink).

There is a substantial mark up on coffee bought ready made. A $2k set up might sound expensive but if you drink a lot of coffee you'll pay it off in no time.

Plus it tastes better when you make your own.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:11 PM   #94
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

yer but when on the road which is often you can't make your own
Agree though obviously having the coffee machine at home makes for a price competitive cuppa.
Pods in bulk for me, no more grinding for I find the pod coffee taste quality is just as good nowadays.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2021, 04:21 PM   #95
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Already that price here in Canberra, I get a small double flat white. Went to Ona in Fyshwick. Small coffee, $5.20, extra shot, $1.50 and as I don't like the blend they use now I opted for their "original blend", $1.50 extra.

I am a coffee snob, but I literally said no thanks and walked out.

Coffee is my drug, but I won't pay over $5 for one......... yet

12 years ago it was $3.50 for a small double flat white, now it's generally $4.70ish, i'm ok with that.
Prices are slowly creeping up in Wellington cafes, I like the coffees from my machine so I don't buy too many but my favourite is a coffee cart at the side of the road. One of the best coffees in town and still $5nz for a reg. flat white with an extra shot.
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-10-2021, 04:26 PM   #96
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I pay $46/kg for my beans (from merlo in Brisbane).

1kg of beans will make around 100 drinks, give or take (assuming around 20g for a double shot, most are less).

Factoring in the price of milk it's about $0.70/drink (200ml per drink).

There is a substantial mark up on coffee bought ready made. A $2k set up might sound expensive but if you drink a lot of coffee you'll pay it off in no time.

Plus it tastes better when you make your own.
We did the math as well and it works out at 80c NZ per coffee for us, but we drink a lot of coffee, so as you say a $2k machine is worth it. Our last machine and our current one were both $2k and they have counters on them, the last machine made 17k coffees in its lifetime, approx. 7 coffees a day for 7 years.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:40 PM   #97
.:4:.
Kicking back

A few years back i installed the electricals for 2 coffee machines at a place on king st in sydney called the mecca. So its on king street but under the grace hotel thats on york st. Anyrate. 3 phase machines, the machines were the bees knees at 60k each. This place sold a proper coffee and had a solid client base. They were open early on saturdays but that was for the cycling groups who met up there pre cycle. So im not entirely sure if it was the super expensive and awesome machines made better coffee, or if the staff were just good at making coffees and the machines were just a flex.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2021, 04:51 PM   #98
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
The best way to get a deal on coffees is simple,. Find a place you like, get social with 1 or more of the staff. You know find out one of their interests. Even if its not something that interests you, still every other time ask hows their interest. So become more of a person then just a customer.
So its reverse customer service. It doesn't always work, but when it does you either get a higher quality service or discounts, like a large for the price of a small etc. Worst case you get greeted by name which is nice compared to a hi what would you like?.
Can not say, I've ever bought coffee based on the price in a cafe. I'm happy to pay for a great coffee and will always tip but they will certainly know if we don't like it. The fact you mention large and small suggests you are not a coffee snob.
On complaining about coffee, I like the customers who buy coffee (or a meal) drink all of it, then complain they weren't happy about with it. You don't like it, don't drink it and tell them.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2021, 04:53 PM   #99
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
Prices are slowly creeping up in Wellington cafes.
Loved Cuba street.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:56 PM   #100
prydey
Rob

Quote:
A few years back i installed the electricals for 2 coffee machines at a place on king st in sydney called the mecca. So its on king street but under the grace hotel thats on york st. Anyrate. 3 phase machines, the machines were the bees knees at 60k each. This place sold a proper coffee and had a solid client base. They were open early on saturdays but that was for the cycling groups who met up there pre cycle. So im not entirely sure if it was the super expensive and awesome machines made better coffee, or if the staff were just good at making coffees and the machines were just a flex.
The machines won't be the reason. Commercial machines are expensive because they need to be reliable and pump out coffee after coffee while maintaining temperature etc.

Good coffee is more about the grinder and the guy at the controls. The grinder is actually more important than the machine and the guy at the helm needs to understand what makes good coffee good. A lot of baristas wouldn't know the first thing about good coffee.

Unfortunately the bulk of the industry is about quantity over quality and many of the consumers don't care. They'd rather a coffee 2 minutes quicker than wait for something decent.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:58 PM   #101
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Loved Cuba street.
Cuba St is still pretty cool and still has a lot of great cafes and coffee stops, great way to spend a Saturday morning.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:01 PM   #102
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
Cuba St is still pretty cool and still has a lot of great cafes and coffee stops, great way to spend a Saturday morning.
Sure is. Unfortunately I heard the technical bookshop there closed a while ago.
Never been to another one like it.

Old 05-10-2021, 05:08 PM   #103
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Sure is. Unfortunately I heard the technical bookshop there closed a while ago.
Never been to another one like it.
It has but you can still find some gems at this place https://www.artybees.co.nz/tarn-e-wy...use-architects
Cool clothes and multiple tattoo shops tempt me back as well.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:25 PM   #104
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
The machines won't be the reason. Commercial machines are expensive because they need to be reliable and pump out coffee after coffee while maintaining temperature etc.

Good coffee is more about the grinder and the guy at the controls. The grinder is actually more important than the machine and the guy at the helm needs to understand what makes good coffee good. A lot of baristas wouldn't know the first thing about good coffee.
There's one boss of a coffee place around here who loves to overheat the milk (maybe doesn't effect normal milk) when I see him at the counter I back away until I see one of his younger crew get behind the counter.
When he overheats the soymilk it kind of curdles, then he wants to present it in a glass, the whole thing is a mess, all separated not unlike a 70s lava lamp.
He's a nice Italian bloke and the food is excellent but he has no idea how to make coffee.

3 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2021, 05:37 PM   #105
prydey
Rob

Like most things, there is an important theory element behind the practical outworking of a job.

It's easy to train someone how to operate a piece of equipment, regardless of industry but until they know the reasons behind why you do something, they will only ever be an operator rather than a tradesperson.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:52 PM   #106
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
...a nice Italian bloke and the food is excellent but he has no idea how to make coffee.
You mean he doesnt know how to make latte. Being the boss, I'd be surprised if he cant make a half decent coffee.

Last edited by AMB; 05-10-2021 at 07:05 PM.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2021, 07:21 PM   #107
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB View Post
You mean he doesnt know how to make latte. Being the boss, I'd be surprised if he cant make a half decent coffee.
Refer back to post #14...

If it involves using coffee, then it's a type of coffee drink.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:34 PM   #108
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Refer back to post #14...

If it involves using coffee, then it's a type of coffee drink.
He's not getting the milk right. Should have said doesnt know how to froth the milk.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:07 PM   #109
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

My mate owns https://staygrounded.com.au in Perth and I get my beans from him sent to SA (mates rates). Still ends up cheaper to do that than buying some of the local bags and I dont have to leave home to do it.

I drink 3-4 coffees a day so it adds up. If I bought coffee from a cafe that gets quite expensive.

I completely recommend his beans btw.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2021, 08:26 PM   #110
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

In terms of instant coffee I have found the Coles branded organic one for $4 to be up there with the big brands. Looks more like Moccona then Nescafe.

Worth a punt for anyone that uses instant.

I used to have a machine but after several moves I have no clue which box it's in or which garage that box is stored in.

My morning routine is a pouch of Nescafe (Strong) Cappuccino (I think it's much better than the Moccona equivalent) then another spoon of instant in my soup bowl sized mug of some 600ml.

It's a meal in itself

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2021, 08:50 PM   #111
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
He's not getting the milk right. Should have said doesnt know how to froth the milk.
Having said that, I've heard cheaper brands of soymilk are not good for frothing for some reason, so maybe that's part of the problem.
Last few bags I've got has been "Grinders" brand. They have a few blends, I just go with the blends that sound the strongest and 100% arabica. I have been pretty happy with it. I'm tempted to try something more "upmarket", which to me means above $30/kg, just to see if there is a significant difference. Any suggestions?
I've been watching market conditions for quite a while now, most analysts are predicting a period of high inflation, so beans and everything else is likely to start rising in the next 12 months.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:00 PM   #112
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Agree though obviously having the coffee machine at home makes for a price competitive cuppa.
Pods in bulk for me, no more grinding for I find the pod coffee taste quality is just as good nowadays.
Nothing wrong with a plunger and No 4 Harris Black, better than most off the track servo's!
Old 05-10-2021, 09:06 PM   #113
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

at risk of sounding like a coffee snob, I liken instant coffee to dirty dish water. But will drink it if there is nothing better to get my caffeine fix.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2021, 09:17 PM   #114
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
at risk of sounding like a coffee snob, I liken instant coffee to dirty dish water. But will drink it if there is nothing better to get my caffeine fix.
I can drink 2 heaped teaspoons of nescafe if nothing else available. Yeah weak instant, even nescafe, does taste like dirty dish water.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:22 PM   #115
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agree trouble is I like a strong coffee and it's a mission to find a good pod ....quite like the Podista double shot , Jeds extreme and the Robert Harris Italian can get them on special at supermarkets in NZ for 50c each which is quite economical

I've got into this bad habit of every time I go out I've gotta take a coffee and like you say pods are quick and easy no mess , just every now and then dismantle the milk container and chuck all the bits in the dishwasher....easy as

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2021, 09:23 PM   #116
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Like most things, there is an important theory element behind the practical outworking of a job.

It's easy to train someone how to operate a piece of equipment, regardless of industry but until they know the reasons behind why you do something, they will only ever be an operator rather than a tradesperson.
I thing the word " barista" is a truer word to use for a dude who makes coffee, certainly not a tradesman!
In fact the coffee roaster is an artisan, he is the reason for the taste or flavour, the barista is not even a craftsman!
Old 05-10-2021, 09:28 PM   #117
prydey
Rob

Quote:
. I'm tempted to try something more "upmarket", which to me means above $30/kg, just to see if there is a significant difference. Any suggestions?
I don't generally recommend a particular blend as everyone has different tastes and what one person thinks is strong, or nice, the next person doesn't.

All I recommend is buying from a roaster who at least uses roast on dates. Anything more than 4 weeks old, leave it on the shelf. Many smaller places actually roast to order too so it's always fresh when you get it. Always best to order before you've finished your last lot. Most beans need a few days to de gas post roast before they're at their best.

Fresh beans is the key for consistency in flavour and how it behaves in the grinder and machine.

As mentioned earlier, I use Merlo.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:33 PM   #118
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Just to spend some more of your money FTE, I present you with this........

https://sydneytools.com.au/product/m...SABEgJy9PD_BwE

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2021, 09:39 PM   #119
blueoval
Critical Thinker

most tradies I know have dual cabs with deep cycle batteries and inverters setup with Aldi pod machines. Usually due to them using their utes as weekend campers. Surprised I havent seen more guys doing the same.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 05-10-2021, 09:40 PM   #120
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I was gifted a barista course a couple of years ago at Market Lane Coffee in Melbourne.

https://marketlane.com.au/pages/bari...urse-melbourne

When you break it all down, there is a lot more to a good coffee than you will imagine. I have to admit, I was a bit intimidated standing behind a professional grade machine and steamer. Was a lot of fun it certainly helped me when I returned to my little machine at home.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: