Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Brownie12

Question Cheapest Insurance for P Platers?

So i just got a quote from AAMI of just over $3500 to insure soon to be my 2005 BA Mk II XR6 . This is ridiculous, Surely there must be a cheaper way to get comprehensive car insurance if your a P plater and want to drive a nice car. Any recommendations? (And don't say driving un-insured lol)

Brownie12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Default Re: Cheapest Insurance for P Platers?

I remember seeing a site ages ago comparing premiums for P-Platers...Either way mate, you're gonna pay a lot.

I got my XR6 when I was 19...And with my mum on the rego as the 1st driver, it was still costing me $1200ish a year for insurance.

Ahhh the bonus of being a male aged under 25 in a 'performance' vehicle.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Insurance in your parents name is alot cheaper.
Just put yourself down as one of the designated drivers.

Try Just Car Insurance too, they seem to be alot cheaper than most places for the younger generation.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

P plater (and possibly under 25) + XR6 = Big dollars and in a suburb with a high theft rate even bigger dollars
Old 17-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-WORKN

Try Just Car Insurance too, they seem to be alot cheaper than most places for the younger generation.
I did quite a bit of shopping around and found Just Car to be the most! Must just vary in individual cases.

I've found too it helps to actually ring up the mob, you can usually wring out some extra coverage like windscreen cover for no extra cost.

I found AAMI to be the best.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Old 17-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-WORKN

This^

NRMA seams to be cheap for me as well.

All these stupid companies that plays there ads every 5 minutes bragging about how cheap they are, always end up being the most expensive ones on my quotes.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I did quite a bit of shopping around and found Just Car to be the most! Must just vary in individual cases.

I've found too it helps to actually ring up the mob, you can usually wring out some extra coverage like windscreen cover for no extra cost.

I found AAMI to be the best.
Same here,
Funny thing is I am pretty sure they are the same company?
Or Just car is owned by AAMI, something like that.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
chrisfpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Really? Interesting, most of my mates are with Just Car and don't pay as much as other companies. But I guess you're correct, there's alot of factors to determine a price to cover an individual so you can't expect one place to be cheap for everyone.

And OP it could be worse, they could want $7,500 to cover you like a well known mob wanted from me.
Old 17-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I think AAMI will offer cheaper insurance too if you complete their defensive driving course...

Win win really...learn some good skills and get cheaper insurance

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 17-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
CANFRY
Ba xr6

all my mates just insure there car in there parents names (heepz cheaper) and then if you have an accident or anything you just pay the bigger access because you were driving.
CANFRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #11
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try bendigo bank .

Full comp cost roughly just over $1000 . In my dad's name and I am listed as a driver.

($430 without me on the policy,, I know we get ripped off hardcore)
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #12
jayc16
Starter Motor

Just put it under your parents name, you only have to shell out an extra $1200 excess if your at-fault in a accident with AAMI so it still works out to be cheaper if you have less than 3 at-fault accidents in a year.
jayc16 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Just Car quoted me $1779 a year for full comp on my TDCI LV Focus. AAMI $3500.

And its underwritten by AAMI, lol.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
Skotty
Banned

Also read the fine print. Some of the cheaper insurance company's use aftermarket parts when they repair. Just cars use genuine parts.
Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #15
NAFairlane

guys try YOUI, i was insured full comp as a named driver of a 99 4WD hilux (~$15,000 worth) for $600 for all of us. And they are worth about the same and are about the same risk factor as an XR6
NAFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #16
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Youi won't touch anyone under 30 in an XR6.

I tried them for my latest renewal, after the company I was with (who dealt only in young people with sporty cars) was bought out, by a company that then wiped us all off their books. They won't insure anyone under 30 now.

When I bought the XR6 at 22, Just Cars wanted $4011/year to cover me. I laughed and hung up.
GIO didn't want me, nor did AAMI.

The company I went with then was $1200+ a year. It never really came down at all either, regardless of the fact I never had a claim, or traffic infringments.

My car is now listed as part of a fleet policy, through our bus company (they are happy to cover me as a bus driver, so they don't have a problem with my car), and it's only $700/year.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #17
jasetheace1989
Starter Motor

Just car insurance are by far the cheapest. You can get a quote on their website.

What its going to come down to is what aftermarket parts you have on it and if your a rating 1.
jasetheace1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #18
BradZ
I'm still alive

They're stooging you, so stooge them back. It's your mums car, remember?

EDIT: How can they classify the XR6's as a performance car when it has the same engine as the standard XT? As far as i know the only differences are cosmetic, and lower springs?

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-5000k Headlight conversion
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub
-Pioneer Class D Digital 800W Amp

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Build Thread http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11344773

Last edited by BradZ; 20-03-2011 at 11:10 PM.
BradZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 02:43 AM   #19
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradZ
EDIT: How can they classify the XR6's as a performance car when it has the same engine as the standard XT? As far as i know the only differences are cosmetic, and lower springs?
Yer it's stupid how XR6 is deemed "sports" . Only differences are cosmetic, better shocks, lower springs, quicker ratio 3.45 (3.23 XT)
Old 21-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #20
xy500
Constant annoyance

no one is stooging anyone, you are a higher risk to any insurer, so they will charge accordingly. Accept it and move on.
Oh and having your car insured as your parents, with your name down as only a small percentage of the use. Is fraud. And if the insurance company finds out that it is your car and only you drive it, you will find yourself without cover.
Why anyone encourages it on this forum i don't know. If you cant afford the insurance on a car (which you should budget for before buying it) then you should buy something else. Especially if it's your first car, because you don't NEED a nice car to start with. Something reliable should do fine.
Old 21-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #21
chrisfpv

Oh god...
Old 21-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #22
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
no one is stooging anyone, you are a higher risk to any insurer, so they will charge accordingly. Accept it and move on.
Oh and having your car insured as your parents, with your name down as only a small percentage of the use. Is fraud. And if the insurance company finds out that it is your car and only you drive it, you will find yourself without cover.
Why anyone encourages it on this forum i don't know. If you cant afford the insurance on a car (which you should budget for before buying it) then you should buy something else. Especially if it's your first car, because you don't NEED a nice car to start with. Something reliable should do fine.
Ripping people off blind is also fraud. Descrimination is also illegal , yet they want to rip this young guy off even though he has probably never had an accident and decriminate by way of age. If the guy wants a nice car to drive around in ,great. Have you sucked in too much radiation while in japan or are you always so sour ? The guy asked for advice , not ridicule. My advice is shop around and look for the best deal, and if you have too look into getting it insured through your parents.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #23
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

insurance is exempt from age and gender discrimination laws as they use these factors to determine risk . if you have a car registered in your name but insured in your parents name they can wipe you in the event of a claim also by attempting to claim you can be blackmarked along with your parents . on all insurance applications there is a question " have you in the last 10 years had insurance refused , cancelled had special conditions imposed or had a claim refused" answer yes to this and then try to get insurance
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
Ripping people off blind is also fraud. Descrimination is also illegal , yet they want to rip this young guy off even though he has probably never had an accident and decriminate by way of age. If the guy wants a nice car to drive around in ,great. Have you sucked in too much radiation while in japan or are you always so sour ? The guy asked for advice , not ridicule. My advice is shop around and look for the best deal, and if you have too look into getting it insured through your parents.
the phone is your friend ring around and get quotes at it will vary from person to person depending on a wide range of criteria. a given company might be cheap for one driver suburb and car combination where another will be cheaper and the reverse may apply for a different combination. what worked for someone here might not work for you

good luck

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO

Last edited by FGII-XR6; 21-03-2011 at 02:08 PM.
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #24
cjf
GT Hardcore

Quote:
I like many forum user are here to help each other out not to have a moan and offer nothing to the forums, or are you unhappy that someone younger than yourself has a nicer car?

Now to get get back to the OP's question,I find RACQ and Budget Direct are competitive too , my 3 kids use these guys. It pays to ring around for quotes as it can vary by $2000 or more for P platers insurance.
BPR CAI , PACEMAKERS 4-1, BALLISTIC 100cell RACING CATS, CROW CAMS GTP,
K LINE , XFORCE ,PSI VALVE SPRINGS, MANLEY H BEAMS, SRP PISTONS & RINGS, ACL RACE BEARINGS MELLINGS BILLET OIL PUMP, POWERBOND UNDERDRIVES, TT1-160 THERMOSTAT.
cjf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #25
dave289
Banned

Another thing you could try is an insurance broker. I used one last year for my green slip after evryone else wanted to rip me off blind even though I've never had a claim. He got me a green slip cheaper than I could find so It might be worth a go. Good luck with it all let us know how you go.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #26
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WOW, its strange the diffences, when I was 22 I got a BF XR8 insured with AAMI for $1200 with 500 dollars excess. I lived in queanbeyan where cars get stolen all the time.
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #27
xy500
Constant annoyance

my earlier post was not directed at the o.p. but towards some of the bad advice being given. I too am young, and I too have had to get insurance and pay dearly for it. And cheapskates who dodge what they should rightfully pay only make it more expensive for the honest ones.
I got my insurance through shannons who were very competitive, but only because I drive a classic. They are not so good with late models - like an xr6.
Quote:
I like many forum user are here to help each other out not to have a moan and offer nothing to the forums, or are you unhappy that someone younger than yourself has a nicer car
I'd dare say my car is a little nicer than a ba xr6 and I'm not that old...
I'm trying to help the o.p. by letting him know when he's being given bad advice. I didn't realise I had added the moaning smiley to my post
Old 21-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #28
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the previous posters was correct.

If you organise your insurance via your parents, and they have no financial interest in the car, then they may not have an "insurable interest" in the loss. Accordingly, the insurer has no obligation to pay the claim.

I'm just surprised that it doesnt happen more often.
hawke is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #29
xy500
Constant annoyance

and if money is really that tight, have you considered third party fire and theft only insurance? or even just third party?
Old 21-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #30
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And cheapskates who dodge what they should rightfully pay only make it more expensive for the honest ones.
I'm sorry but what makes it there duty to rightfully pay expensive insurance?

If you bought a particular TV for $2000 and then somebody else bought it elsewhere for $1500, does that make it wrong. Should they rightfully pay the higher price?