Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Major Service - Recommendations

Hello again...me with another question...

The Falcon (BFII XT) is due for its major service (45,000km) and I am not sure what the best course of action is...so, I'm looking for decent advice.

On my current plans, I'm considering heading out to Knox Ford *only* for the major service.

From then on, I wish to find somewhere a little closer to home for future servicing that still has a good reputation as the mechanic my folks have used on their current and previous cars is moving to Mitcham as 7-Eleven is taking over the servo their mechanic is at...

Is that a reasonable plan, or do others out there have better advice?

As always, no hypotheticals or fairytales please. I'd prefer those who have both positive and negative experiences with a Ford Dealership's service bay, especially KNox Ford if possible. Alternatives welcome...

Any help would be appreciated. All ears...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2011, 02:13 AM   #2
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Major Service - Recommendations

I was the same as you when I bought my BA over a year ago I thought I would be smart and take it to a dealer for its first service.
Turns out, not smart at all.

However if quite a few people have positive experiences with dealers out your way then sure go for it, but if I could go back I would of skipped taking it to Fraud in the first place. Now I go to a smaller workshop owned by a guy I met somewhere else. Far cheaper, more reliable, helpful and trustworthy. Has let me hang around and watch while he works also which was good of him.

Just my thoughts.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2011, 03:14 AM   #3
XR037
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im still on the hunt for a mechanic that I can trust my car with, lol. Anyways...have taken mine to Strapp Ford before at Burwood and their arnt too bad, they are pretty small so have a more dedicated service than Courtney and Patterson...thats just how I saw it though
XR037 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't speak for the Ford yet (still new so we're taking it to the Ford dealer down in Rocky).

When we owned our 100 series Landcruiser, we were staggered to find that a logbook major service at Toyota in Rockhampton cost us $1000...so we started to look around. There was also the little matter that it is 180km to Rockhampton, and only 95 or so to the Ultratune in Emerald, so we went there.
Major service by the logbook? $400. They left out stuff that really didn't need doing...the damn Toyota logbook recommends spending a long time adjusting the valves every 20,000km at the major service...I said I didn't do it that often on our damn Morris Minor.

After the first year or so with the G6E, we will probably start taking it to Ultratune.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Keep hearing bad things with Knox, missus got brushed off by them.

Etheridge is normally good.

Sterling Ford is another good one. Good value for money and any extra stuff is actually priced well (they were cheaper then some independents). Also they have a reputation around here that they actually do things to the car unlike other dealers.