Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
Dustin_80

Default Clown driving a truck on the M1

I was driving down the on ramp from smith street onto the M1 Gold Coast.

An unbroken line separates the entrance lane from the highway for many hundreds of meters. Naturally I wasn't prepared to cross until the line became unbroken. Although I was indicating I'd be merging as soon as it was safe and legal to do so.

When it was safe and legal I began to merge and to my great frustration the semi behind me attempted to merge onto the highway at the same time as me even though he was still at the unbroken line. And he was doing it very aggressively ie. driving very fast in an obvious attempt to cut me off and prevent me from merging.

I did complete the merge however and in typical moronic fashion he started tailgaiting me. And in such a way it could only have been deliberate.

Clowns like this have a great ability for giving all truck drivers a bad reputation.
How does someone so unprofessional even have a job?

Old 15-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Clown driving a truck on the M1

I only drove on the m1 a few times. But half the drivers were idiots. Trucks and cars.
Everyone was in a rush changing lanes constantly passing on the left.
All normally behaviors it seams.
Old 15-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Meh ... you have the ability to read the situation before hand by looking in your mirrors either speed up or slow down.

Sorry Dustin but you sound like one of these people who do 110 in the right lane because someone is doing 108 in the left lane and it isn't safe or legal in your eyes to exceed the speed limit?

I am well aware of the stretch you are reporting about and i have crossed that unbroken line many times..why?
Because there either was a break in traffic and it was safe to do so and i have 4 lanes to choose from OR there is a truck merging from the qaurry and i dont prefer to cop whatever MAY fall from his truck or i dont want to hold him up from merging at speed..

Definately not worthy of a thread on here ...

Last edited by Road Games; 15-05-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 15-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
whiteELXR6

If the truck has caught up with you on an entry ramp to a freeway your not going fast enough simple as that. I am not familiar with the road you are speaking of but if it is 100k's then i suggest 80 probably isn't a safe speed to merge at? If the truck has caught up with you on the entry ramp there is something wrong...
2007 Kenworth T401 Tipper-the road builder
Old 15-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

reminds me of a truck thursday night who expected me to run a red light for him because it was raining and he didnt think he could have pulled up in time
Old 15-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteELXR6
If the truck has caught up with you on an entry ramp to a freeway your not going fast enough simple as that. I am not familiar with the road you are speaking of but if it is 100k's then i suggest 80 probably isn't a safe speed to merge at? If the truck has caught up with you on the entry ramp there is something wrong...
So the truck was not speeding...??? and you also know the OP was not sitting on the correct speed limit...???

Sorry but your statement makes no sence at all....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 15-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

Common sense should really prevail here, 20+ tonne truck versus a car. If he's driving aggressively and wants get through, slow down and let him go - you'll only ever come off second best if an error of judgement occurs, and in the long run you aren't going to be that inconvenienced.
Old 15-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
Dags557
Starter Motor

Lets just remember that trucks are much bigger and some people will just ignore them in merging situations and hope they'll back off to get in.
It's the old, "I cant let a truck get in front of me" scenario.
So truckies will cross unbroken white lines to fit in properly, because it's a case of it's safer than battling with a car that's half way down the semi but still thinks the semi should back off.
As for tailgating you he may have just been trying to maintain his speed, because as you should know when a truck has to back off it takes a long time to get up again.
Just think of how much you get frustrated when someone is going slower than you or when they slow down for no real reason and then multiply that by 1000 if you're a truckie, because the effect changes everything.
That's not to say this guy/girl wasn't a cowboy, and doesn't deserve your criticism, but just keep it in mind next time it happens.
Old 15-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Dags557
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
So the truck was not speeding...??? and you also know the OP was not sitting on the correct speed limit...???

Sorry but your statement makes no sence at all....
Actually it makes perfect sense.
When merging it's a requirement that you're traveling at the same speed as the traffic to be merged with, obviously.
The truck will have his/her foot buried in that throttle to be sure they're doing the merging speed, and if the truck managed to catch the car, since cars have a throttle response 1000 times better than any truck, loaded or empty, then clearly the car was just dawdling, and wasn't thinking about how his actions were affecting those behind him.
And just to clarify, even though I dont know the road at all, being from WA, what I do know is that even with the 600/650hp in some of the new trucks today getting to 100kph on an onramp (loaded) is a touch and go thing.
Old 15-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dags557
Actually it makes perfect sense.
When merging it's a requirement that you're traveling at the same speed as the traffic to be merged with, obviously. No BrainerThe truck will have his/her foot buried in that throttle to be sure they're doing the merging speed, and if the truck managed to catch the car, since cars have a throttle response 1000 times better than any truck, loaded or empty, then clearly the car was just dawdling, and wasn't thinking about how his actions were affecting those behind him.
And just to clarify, even though I dont know the road at all, being from WA, what I do know is that even with the 600/650hp in some of the new trucks today getting to 100kph on an onramp (loaded) is a touch and go thing.
Like the poster i quoted you are making assupmtions on a situation in an area you don't know, or i for that matter....
The point is there is NO mention of actual speeds mentioned in the OP, but plenty of assumtions in the replys....
Also i do know of plenty of on ramps where a truck can maintain or exceed the speed limit, just depends on the length of the ramp AND the length of the unbroken white line....Gateway onto the Bruce Hwy going North is a perfect example....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 15-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
cobbadan

I see cars doing the exact same thing everyday. All over brisbane.
One of my pet hates.
Wherever there's a merging lane, there's always gonna be some idiot behind you who thinks that its the perfect overtaking opportunity.
Doesn't matter what speed your doing.

They are great cars but the build quality is crap
Old 15-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have never had a problem merging as long as I was keeping pace with the traffic already on the road I am merging onto. I do however see many people attempt to enter 100k/h zones at 60km/h. It makes it hard to merge for everyone following.
Old 15-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Truck bash - move on, nothing to see here
Old 15-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dags557
As for tailgating you he may have just been trying to maintain his speed, because as you should know when a truck has to back off it takes a long time to get up again.
thats the dumbest excuse for tailgating ever...

simple fact is, you must leave enough distance between you and the vehicle in front to stop safely if something happens.

can you imagine a truck driver standing up in court defending himself in a manslaughter case saying 'i had to tailgate, it was either that or slow down. i had no choice'
Old 15-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Slow news day eh?
Closed Thread