Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 80-120km figures

Hi all,

I was wanting to know, what do the 80 to 120km figures mean in some magazines? Is this to show how much torque a vehicle has? I am only asking, because from what I have read, the new FG F6 seems to have the quickest time (2.5secs) when ever it is compared to other makes.

Old 22-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its just a good overtaking accleration guide I believe.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Penko

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
Hi all,

I was wanting to know, what do the 80 to 120km figures mean in some magazines? Is this to show how much torque a vehicle has? I am only asking, because from what I have read, the new FG F6 seems to have the quickest time (2.5secs) when ever it is compared to other makes.
Yeah its the overtaking time, good indication of power and torque as it takes the launch out of the picture (e.g. grip).

I dont no how they get those times becuase 2.5secs makes no sence, its to quick. This means it is quicker than almost any super, the audi rs6 in motor did a 2.8 or somthing.

Cheers.

Ford Focus LX
Xforce 4-1 Extractors, Xforce 2.5" Exhaust, K&N Performance Cold Air Intake, Pedders Sports Ryder Suspension All Round, 18" Zanetti Wheels, Sony 800 Watt Amp + Pioneer 6/9 + 12" MTX Sub
Penko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

No, you read it right. It's just the fantastic midrange of the turbo's torque that creams just about every car out there bar some supercars. Try it against an M5 sometime and see what happens, and they have 380kw apparently. ( on the track of course )

One of the greatest engines EVER built, hope it stays for a while longer, damn Euro 6 emissions. :evil3:
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossy
No, you read it right. It's just the fantastic midrange of the turbo's torque that creams just about every car out there bar some supercars. Try it against an M5 sometime and see what happens, and they have 380kw apparently. ( on the track of course )

One of the greatest engines EVER built, hope it stays for a while longer, damn Euro 6 emissions. :evil3:

Well if the F6 has 310 at the fly, i'll eat my hat, more like 350 - 360
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure I've read 2.5, referring to Motor Sept 08, it does 2.7. I think I've seen 2.5 in Wheels somewhere. I think when it was compared to the GT-R and a Porsche of some sort??
Old 22-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a F6 ute, put the foot down on the highway next to me few weeks ago, sweet lord it moved, i dont think ill ever see anything move quicker
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

I believe it's measure as a flying 80-120kph. As in a rolling start at a lower speed, mash the go pedal and the time begins when the speedo hits 80kph and ends at 120kph.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossy

Euro 5 will be the big hurdle, the current engine is being rejigged for Euro 4 next year.

The government has not set a time for implementation for Euro 5 yet. Euro 6 hasn't even been set in Europe yet.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
Penko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
I believe it's measure as a flying 80-120kph. As in a rolling start at a lower speed, mash the go pedal and the time begins when the speedo hits 80kph and ends at 120kph.
This makes more sence, i always thought it was cruise at 80km/h then accelerate. But does it start at slower speed and the clock starts when you hit 80km/h?

Cheers.

Ford Focus LX
Xforce 4-1 Extractors, Xforce 2.5" Exhaust, K&N Performance Cold Air Intake, Pedders Sports Ryder Suspension All Round, 18" Zanetti Wheels, Sony 800 Watt Amp + Pioneer 6/9 + 12" MTX Sub
Penko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #11
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Euro 5 is implemented in Europe in September this year, Euro 6 isn't implemented in Europe until September 2014, but the Australian government is trying to align them with europe, so Euro 6 could be the same time as Europe get it.

The changes ford needed to make to the I6 for Euro4, is that what we have seen implemented on the XT 6speeders recently?
Old 22-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #12
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

It is done exactly as Grunter said.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's an indication of the engines flexibility. A torque monster which doesn't rev so hard for example a diesel engine will initially pickup well upon throttle application but the ability to continue to deliver the performance will drop off for various reasons. A high revving engine which has good top end power but not so torquey or one which has a narrow torque band which starts higher in the rev range will be the other way around, slow to get going but once it does it will storm home but by then the bull would be gone. The good turbo engines can deliver the best of both worlds, the FG inline 6 is a good example of a very flexible engine that has a wide torque range which starts fairly low in the rev range and also has the ablitiy to rev high and continue to deliver performance once the torque delivery has started to drop off in the higher rev range.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #14
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter

yep you are correct, in the last Motor in the letters to the ED they explain it like that
Old 22-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #15
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

The F6 certainly is a weapon, as mentioned above it shames many performance cars 2 or 3 times the price. The lowest I've seen is 2.6 with an auto iirc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
The changes ford needed to make to the I6 for Euro4, is that what we have seen implemented on the XT 6speeders recently?
No, they're merely changes that help the base XT become eligible for purchase to some government operations who require a certain maximum for CO2 emissions.
Old 25-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #16
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

There was this same question in Wheels or Motor last month. As they explained it - they sit at about 60km/h, then stick the boot in. The timing device doesn't record anything til the car reaches 80km/h, then stops once the car hits 120km/h.

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post