Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Default Jeremy Clarkson interview on ACA

http://video.aol.ca/video-detail/jer...id=VIDLRVNWS05

Tracey Grimshaw interviews Jeremy Clarkson on ACA last night...

The reason I have posted this thread is to discuss something that was brought up on 3AW this morning by Neil Mitchell...

Neil was offended by the way that Jeremy answered a question regarding the young people who 'copycat' the way that the Top Gear presenter drives cars... drifting and speeding etc...

Jeremy answered that 'speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop at the end that causes the problem' (not direct quote - i'm paraphrasing)...

Which - by physics is of course true...

The other response that has caused uproar was when Jeremy was asked what he/we can do to stop young people from killing themselves in cars... His answer was blunt... 'Nothing'...

Now, I rang Neil Mitchell and was on the radio this morning in support of Jeremy's comments... mainly because he answered the questions bluntly but realistically - as J Clarkson does...

And I agree with him 100%... there is nothing you can do to stop young hoons from killing themselves... And sure -we've all been involved in countless threads regarding this issue...

Just wanted to see what other people thought about the interview (and if you didn't see it, the link is above)...

Old 12-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

As usual Clarkson is right.

I don't understand the media/Government's fixation with the road toll. We all drive in metal boxes surrounded by glass and other sharp pointy things. What do you think if going to eventually happen? Especially when we have a woefully inadequate licensing system.

How about the media focus on young people being killed from industrial accidents due to slack employers with no regard for OHS? Or how about young people who OD on drugs or booze?

I guess spectacular images or twisted metal on the front page sells papers.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have to agree there.. Even if we all drove electric golf cart's DH's would still manage to kill themselve's.. Darwin's theory of evolution.. Stupid creature's will die.. Simple..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Have to agree there.. Even if we all drove electric golf cart's DH's would still manage to kill themselve's.. Darwin's theory of evolution.. Stupid creature's will die.. Simple..
100% agree, as per usual Clarkson is right, morons just seem to think that by making legislation and more rules it will change, NOT 1 of the fatal accidents that they were talking about would have changed by adding more rules, FFS they were breaking 4-5 anyway, what’s one more to the equation. ACA are a parasite.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

I agreed with your view, entirely.

Anyone who follows JC in media or on TV (or both) would know this is FAR form the first time he has been 'pulled up' on his comments, views or opinions. The difference is that it was here, in Australia and of course our media will jump all over it, which is to be expected. It is somewhat obvious that with somebody such as JC coming to our country and speaking up on different topics; the media were just deciding WHAT comment to jump on.. it was only a matter of time.

The question of how to 'stop' these deaths is silly and I really do agree with JC in an unbiased way - you cannot stop it, but there are a number of small hurdles, laws, preventative measures we could employ to aid reduce them.

Also, I think I'm right in saying that what was said isn't the first time he has said it. I find our media laughable, how they jump on the wagon all of a sudden now that his feet are within Australia...
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
elvisidal
Tatalia's a pimp!

can't see it damn MSN not supporting safari!
but i'm sure jezza is right.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

He's going to get raped by the media for that comment. No matter how right/realistic it was.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA GT-HO
As usual Clarkson is right.

I don't understand the media/Government's fixation with the road toll. We all drive in metal boxes surrounded by glass and other sharp pointy things. What do you think if going to eventually happen? Especially when we have a woefully inadequate licensing system.
Correct - our licensing system is rubbish, it is way too easy to get a license, and as said previously on other threads - you are trained to pass the test - not to drive a vehicle safely.

The logic in blaming Top Gear for hoon drivers and young fatalities on the road is the same logic as blaming TV shows like Law and Order or NCIS for murders and terrible crimes... Ridiculous...

What I wonder about the interview by Tracey Grimshaw, who I accept is a good journalist and does ask hard questions (sometimes), was what sort of answers was she expecting from Jeremy? He's not here as a consultant on social issues relating to cars... What did she think he was going to say...

Kinda like interviewing Sam Newman about Victoria's Secret Lingerie Models - and then complaining about the answer that is given...
Old 12-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
elvisidal
Tatalia's a pimp!

Movies like The Fast & The Furious do waaaaaaay more damage than Top Gear could ever dream off
Old 12-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd really love to meet the team!
Tracey is a good interviewer, she needs to put her talents into important work. It's a shame she's wasting her talent on the crap that is ACA.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #11
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

what I found amusing is how they tried to corner the question about him being an influence on the HOONS as such, he does his speed/burnouts etc on a TRACK you moron, how someone supposedly educated like Tracey seem to time and time again ask the dumbest questions in history is beyond me.

to add to that, you just jealous trace that he has a budget that makes yours look like the lunch budget for one episode and millions more viewers?... watched ACA for the first time last night just for the fact Clarkson was on, watched the rest of your show and I cant believe people can force themselves to watch your crap every night.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

Hes just being honest ...ive watched car movies growing up, watched races , watched horror movies... never made me want to mimick this stuff... People nowdays seem to be to easily influenced and also lack of discipline at home and by authorities allows them to keep doing these stupid things...You cant legislate against stupidity..will always be around in some form...
Only thing we can do as parents , siblings is try and instill a sense of right & wrong into our own and hope the message sticks ...if everyone did that , then maybe whilst not stopping idiots, we may be able to reduce their numbers...

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having a conversation with Tracey Grimshaw would be much like talking to a block of wood down the wood yard......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

I kinda wish he had have bitten back - but that would have just caused more problems witht he media... (he actually looked a little tired or jetlagged.. not sure when he landed in Syd)...

I wish he had have defended his joke/response about speed not being the killer...
Jeremy / Hammond / May drive on closed circuits and are trained/experienced drivers...
Even the stuff they do on the public roads would surely be permitted/planned for...
Race car drivers drive at incredible speeds - and to be realistic there are not many race incidents resulting in death (obviously they do happen, but not often)...

I know that TG did not directly say that Top Gear is responsible for the young hoon issue (but that was what she was trying to nudge at)...

They already lost a MASSIVE amount of cred regarding this 'hoon' issue when they did that segment on the drifing 200SX (which was a STIG entry for a Top Gear Australia competition)... (see other threads)...
Old 12-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

The underdone and irresponsible licencing system in place leads to bad drivers making it onto the road.

JC is just some dude who hosts a TV show, he's not Superman and he's not responsible for the morons who drive irresponsibly.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
He's going to get raped by the media for that comment. No matter how right/realistic it was.
He would be used to it by now id say, but that said i do agree with his comments, realism FTW
Maybe we could coax him to OZ to be the new Premier of QLD
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance

Last edited by DJM83; 12-02-2010 at 01:43 PM.
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #17
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

That interview was Clarkson at his best, and he is completly right, theres nothing that can be done to stop young people killing themselfs on our roads, no matter how much education we throw at them, no matter how many tv/radio adds are played some of them are just to thick and the message wont get threw to them!

Its to bad pollies dont think like clarkson!
Old 12-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #18
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
The logic in blaming Top Gear for hoon drivers and young fatalities on the road is the same logic as blaming TV shows like Law and Order or NCIS for murders and terrible crimes... Ridiculous...
Preposterous.
If they can draw a link here then I should be able to sue Hustler for giving my wrist carpel tunnel syndrome.

As for Jezza's comments; bang on. Nothing you do will stop fools from acting foolishly.
Some young people act a hoon, have a scare or two then settle down. Others aren't so lucky - act a hoon, no second chances. Fact of life.

Quote: