Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-03-2022, 08:15 PM   #1
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Stolen cat convertor

A friends diesel Territory wouldn't start on Tuesday arvo, she was parked at an upper level parking lot at a suburban shopping centre. Roadside assistance couldn't get it going, tow truck couldn't fit in the upper car park, small tow truck organised for the following morning.

Overnight someone cut out the catalytic convertor! Didn't touch anything else, no vandalism, just took the cat. You hear about stolen cat convertors a bit but I'm just surprised that's all they touched.

I've mentioned to my missus to never leave her car unattended overnight in a public place, if roadside assist can't get there I'll grab a car trailer. A stolen catalytic convertor/smashed window, slashed tyres is not the end of the world but the cost/inconvenience is not unsubstantial.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2022, 09:19 PM   #2
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Stolen cat convertor

heard of cats getting stolen but didnt know it still went on anymore
also didnt know the diesel had a cat , thought it was just petrols

some cats were worth a few hundred in scrap price at one stage (tho not all some only like 30 bucks)

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2022, 11:29 PM   #3
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
A friends diesel Territory wouldn't start on Tuesday arvo, she was parked at an upper level parking lot at a suburban shopping centre. Roadside assistance couldn't get it going, tow truck couldn't fit in the upper car park, small tow truck organised for the following morning.

Overnight someone cut out the catalytic convertor! Didn't touch anything else, no vandalism, just took the cat. You hear about stolen cat convertors a bit but I'm just surprised that's all they touched.
Never underestimate the depths to which filth will sink.
This is what happens when Bogans are allowed to breed.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2022, 09:40 AM   #4
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

inform this (me) ignorant person what is in a cat converter to make them supposedly worthwhile to 'collectors' and is it some brands are worth more than others.

just curious, at my age I dont fancy another career and my back wont allow climbing under cars
Old 11-03-2022, 09:58 AM   #5
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Catalytic converters have economic value as they contain precious metals. This is the main reason why they are sold as the most expensive scrap. Because it contains rhodium, palladium and platinum, which are among the most precious metals. They can be converted into more cash when Pt, Pd, Rh are recovered from the scrap catalytic converter.
https://www.proses-makina.com/what-c...ost-for-scrap/
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2022, 10:08 AM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’d not be particularly surprised if the smaller tow truck had something to do with it.

Cat desirability is debatable, I’ve been offered zero for metallic cores, and the scrappies who last visited me didn’t even ask if I had any. Yet a reliable fellow in southern Queensland recently said he made a few hundred selling three off one car (two metallic front cats, one ceramic).
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-03-2022, 10:41 AM   #7
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’d not be particularly surprised if the smaller tow truck had something to do with it.

Cat desirability is debatable, I’ve been offered zero for metallic cores, and the scrappies who last visited me didn’t even ask if I had any. Yet a reliable fellow in southern Queensland recently said he made a few hundred selling three off one car (two metallic front cats, one ceramic).
tried to find a used cat down here for mine. got told that they [the local wreckers] had sold all their stock [used] to a person[s] for between $200 to $500 depending on the cat. and have seen a lot of scumbook advertising .. altho that is debatable.
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2022, 10:51 AM   #8
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a dog act.
Saw a video clip from USA where a guy welded a piece of weld mesh around his cat.
Wouldn't stop a cutter, but would them up or deter them.
Old 11-03-2022, 03:25 PM   #9
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Happens all the time here in Canberra, super easy to jack one side up and cut them off. Barina cats are worth $600, AU1 cats you can get 400ish etc etc

I always sell the cats on the cars i wreck, you get good money.
Old 13-03-2022, 08:36 PM   #10
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems like the details got mixed up over what happened...

Friend went to the shops for 2-3 hours, cat was stolen while she was shopping. She went to start it up to go home and obviously the loud engine and metal clanging made her stop the engine. That's when RAC/towies got involved and needed to pick up the car the next day.

Car still at mechanics, will be mid next week until they can get a suitable convertor.
Old 14-03-2022, 07:15 AM   #11
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
AU1 cats you can get 400ish etc etc
Are they really that much? On ebay new ones sell for around $240
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2022, 01:46 PM   #12
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My basic understanding is that while Rhodium is a naturally occurring metal, it is collected as a by-product of refining certain precious metals. Mostly Platinum and Palladium. And even then it is found in extremely small quantities.

So a mining excavator might scoop a bucket full of dirt out of the ground that say contains 50% dirt, 40% platinum and 10% palladium. And after refining you might end up with a tablespoon of Rhodium. Probably a stupid example, but how it was described to me.

I always knew cat converters were made with platinum. When I read that people who scrap them also collect palladium and rhodium I thought they were just further refining the collected metals. But Google tells these days they actively use those metals in its construction.

As for why a cat converter is soooooo coveted by scumbag thieves alike, this might put it into perspective.

My Dad is a manufacturing jeweller. He handmakes custom pieces for customers and has done for 54 years now.

His current buy prices on metals are the following:
  • Sterling Silver - $1.46/g
  • 9ct Yellow Gold - $37.809/g
  • 18ct Yellow Gold - $72.00/g
  • Platinum - $62.90/g
  • Palladium - $93.00/g
  • Rhodium - $1565.00/g

Yes, you read that right. Rhodium is a whopping $1565.00 per gram at the moment when used in the jewellery trade.

Dad buys his in a solution use for plating. He recently had to buy a new lot of Rhodium plating solution and required 2g per litre. His discounted cost was just under $3000 for the 2g/LT solution. And I do understand that some of that cost will be attributed to making it into a solution, etc, etc.

Last time he bought it it was $1800 for the same 2g/LT. Previous to that it would cycle between $300 and $600 for the same.

It would be interesting to know how much of these previous metals are recovered by a scrap cat converter. I did find this:

Quote:
Although the quantities vary by model, on average, only one standard catalytic converter contains about 3-7 grams of platinum, 2-7 grams of palladium, 1-2 grams rhodium.
When Dad sells back his scrap and waste for refining he is typically paid 5% to 10% under the current world price.

So if those quantities are correct then you can see why cutting out some poor suckers cat is so attractive these days. There is big business and money to be made in recovering these metals.

I also cant understand how aftermarket cat converters can be sold at the prices they are given what is supposed to be in them. Obviously they aren't manufactured anywhere near OEM specifications.

In Dads case, Rhodium as a plating solution has a pretty strict best before shelf life. As some point the Rhodium starts to stick together and clump up in the solution, plus attract dirt and impurities. At this point the plating finish becomes poor and its time to throw whatever is left away. Normally happens after 18 to 24 months.

Unfortunately no one refines Rhodium plating solution. No one has found an economical and profitable way to do it. Until then Dad collects what's left of his unusable solutions in a hope one day someone will. He has 11LT of it at the moment.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2022, 01:54 PM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Unbelievable the present “waste” in that discarded plating solution. I hope it swings around for him. Used to get stuff Rhodium plated almost 35 years ago in Surry Hills (Sydney) as it was a nicer finish than chrome and more durable than silver or nickel. Even then it was dear.

Just checked my cat pile again, all OEM (ECIA) - three ceramics and two dual can metallics. Wonder what it’s worth?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2022, 03:31 PM   #14
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
Friend went to the shops for 2-3 hours, cat was stolen while she was shopping.
WTF?
What shopping centre was this at?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2022, 04:53 PM   #15
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Unbelievable the present “waste” in that discarded plating solution. I hope it swings around for him.
In Dad's case its more a consequence of his business. Working for himself now means a limited amount of items he uses it for. Would be the same for most businesses like his.

When he had 6 to 8 people working for him it would usually be gone within 6 months because it was literally running dry or the contaminants were getting to it. But overall he'd get far more "use" out of it.

It would be interesting to know how much metal is in those bottles. Might be 1 gram or might be 5. Probably will never know.

Quote:
Used to get stuff Rhodium plated almost 35 years ago in Surry Hills (Sydney) as it was a nicer finish than chrome and more durable than silver or nickel.
You can also get Platinum plating. Just as durable, far cheaper, but not as bright or shiny.

Quote:
Even then it was dear.
It's always been very dear in comparison. Dad gets upset when I chastise him for not charging customers anything for a quick plating. Some stores charge in the $200 to $250 range.

Big chains like Michael Hill have these BS "care plans" you can buy with their jewellery. The used to include 2 or 3 Rhodium platings per year, but now its down to 1. Seems even billion dollar corporations making 300% to 500% markup on their items are hurting a little.

Quote:
Just checked my cat pile again, all OEM (ECIA) - three ceramics and two dual can metallics. Wonder what it’s worth?
Save them for a retirement present? Retirement holiday funds?

If you want to retire rich on speculation, get into pink diamonds. Real winner there!
3 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2022, 06:09 PM   #16
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Falcon View Post
Are they really that much? On ebay new ones sell for around $240
Sure are, I’ve sold plenty.
Old 15-03-2022, 01:34 PM   #17
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By virtue of Google's never ending spying and YouTube's magnificent predictive algorithm, I bring you todays science and education lesson.

I work out his yield to be worth around $30. The 3% of Rhodium is worth only a little less than the 70% Palladium. Would have been interesting to see the yield if there was no accident.

Last edited by arm79; 15-03-2022 at 02:00 PM.
Old 15-03-2022, 03:58 PM   #18
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Midland Gate, parked on the upper level.