Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Default It's scary out there............

Once upon a time while considering a career change I thought I might like to own an FPV dealership.........or be associated with the performance automotive industry in some way

However, having seen the reaction in the media to most articles revealing what is probably the greatest performance vehicle ever produced in Australia, and pretty high up the tree on a world stage, I think I'd rather stay at home under the covers!

Some of the comments from the public just defy belief. Ranging from totally ill informed, to totally antagonistic, you would have to wonder whether these people are for real of simply marketing stunts from opposing camps marketing departments.

Comments such as......."superior euro build quality.......handling and performance" which is complete rubbish, to "The Audi S6 is only $160,000.....not much more than a Falcon" just make you shake your head and wonder what the hell these people are on......and if they actually believe what they are talking about? One person was even comparing it to a VW Gold for christs sake and suggesting it was a superior buy. Hello?????????????

I genuinely feel sorry for the FPV team at times. If thats the true nature of the market your trying to sell into I can only sympathise and suggest some panadol and a box of tissues.

I for one think the new car while visually "challenging" is probably the best mechanical offering from Oz ever...........I hope you get some just rewards and market respect you deserve for your acheivement with this engine.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Are you basing this off comments on carpoint etc? If so then take it with a grain of salt, they are 16yo's (most of the time) looking for a stir.

The average punter is not overly educated about cars, nor should they be. The people buying FPV's are more interested in the car and hence the process typically would be less painful.

Ill start a dealership up with you...it would be something Id love to do but there are already many about that are well established, even if they are not meeting customer expectations.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 07-10-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT
Once upon a time while considering a career change I thought I might like to own an FPV dealership.........or be associated with the performance automotive industry in some way

However, having seen the reaction in the media to most articles revealing what is probably the greatest performance vehicle ever produced in Australia, and pretty high up the tree on a world stage, I think I'd rather stay at home under the covers!

Some of the comments from the public just defy belief. Ranging from totally ill informed, to totally antagonistic, you would have to wonder whether these people are for real of simply marketing stunts from opposing camps marketing departments.

Comments such as......."superior euro build quality.......handling and performance" which is complete rubbish, to "The Audi S6 is only $160,000.....not much more than a Falcon" just make you shake your head and wonder what the hell these people are on......and if they actually believe what they are talking about? One person was even comparing it to a VW Gold for christs sake and suggesting it was a superior buy. Hello?????????????

I genuinely feel sorry for the FPV team at times. If thats the true nature of the market your trying to sell into I can only sympathise and suggest some panadol and a box of tissues.

I for one think the new car while visually "challenging" is probably the best mechanical offering from Oz ever...........I hope you get some just rewards and market respect you deserve for your acheivement with this engine.
Agree with you, the problem with forums and internet media is you'll never be able to validate or verify the poster's credibility, motive, buying power or IQ...

Ive long held faith that the broader buying public who actually BUY these cars are more intelligent than what we often read..

Old 07-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Agree with you, the problem with forums and internet media is you'll never be able to validate or verify the poster's credibility, motive, buying power or IQ...

Ive long held faith that the broader buying public who actually BUY these cars are more intelligent than what we often read..
In general yes I agree.

Still doesn't explain the commodore sales though. Marketing and image seems to be the greatest influence of all.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
In general yes I agree.

Still doesn't explain the commodore sales though. Marketing and image seems to be the greatest influence of all.
I'll explain their sales success in 2 words for you:

BRAND LOYALTY.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

BRAND LOYALTY.
You mean blinkers?

I would think Ford people are loyal too, is it just there is less than us? Surely the general public doesn't care as much as we do about brand loyalty.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You mean blinkers?

I would think Ford people are loyal too, is it just there is less than us? Surely the general public doesn't care as much as we do about brand loyalty.
Rough split: 60% Holden, 40% Ford, about 10-20% might swing either way, it would explain everything.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

OK rant mode is off. Just had to express my amazement at the situation.

I am well aware that most are 16yo keyboard warriors etc, and know there is a mature market that thinks at a differnet level (as well as a brand loyal market who for better or worse dont think at all but that another story)

My comments were more directed at the breadth of the ignorance and the breadth of the non car related forums I have seen this ignorance displayed.

4V you are dead right, the potential customer will not be swayed and will purchase. I just hope the media writers and motoring critics give it the attention it deserves and the FPV team finally get their day in the sun. As a long long time Ford owner and GT owner who has been involved in the GT club scence and by extension Tickford and FPV.........I have seen them go through some dark patches (many self induced!) but would finally like to see them get their recognition for a job well done
Old 07-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
OK rant mode is off. Just had to express my amazement at the situation.

I am well aware that most are 16yo keyboard warriors etc, and know there is a mature market that thinks at a differnet level (as well as a brand loyal market who for better or worse dont think at all but that another story)

My comments were more directed at the breadth of the ignorance and the breadth of the non car related forums I have seen this ignorance displayed.

4V you are dead right, the potential customer will not be swayed and will purchase. I just hope the media writers and motoring critics give it the attention it deserves and the FPV team finally get their day in the sun. As a long long time Ford owner and GT owner who has been involved in the GT club scence and by extension Tickford and FPV.........I have seen them go through some dark patches (many self induced!) but would finally like to see them get their recognition for a job well done
Agree completely!!

Lets hope the "stripe and wheel haters" move on..! LOL

Old 07-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

BRAND LOYALTY.
Better marketing. Another 2 words that explain it...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
In general yes I agree.

Quote:

BRAND LOYALTY.
Marketing will sell more cars than brand loyalty

But Marketing and Brand Loyalty are probably the two biggest factors in the sale of a motor car.

Brand Loyalty - yes... but over the years, the needs and wants of the buyer will change... they may stay loyal to the Brand (Holden) but might end up buying a captiva if they've got a few kids, or a rodeo if they're in the trade, or an astra for the family runabout, etc etc... not always a commodore...

The marketing is the main thing...
and whether or not you believe it, it has the largest impact on the decision to buy (in most cases).

So - - this is why I believe the FPV guys have made a wrong step in the marketing/advertising of the new FPV GT...
"King of Every Mountain" is a silly line to throw at the car enthusiast... given that Peter Brock (the #1 face of Holden and Racing) was/still is the KING of the Mountain... We'll see how that plays out... and whether they keep the same line for the TV ads and the rest of the print media when it comes out...

Back to the topic...

At the end of the day... everyone is going to have an opinion about everything... thats the beauty of living somewhere with freedom of speech, and the joys of internet forums... everyone has a voice and is free to express it...

Though from a sample of 100 comments on a forum/blog/page.... how many do you think will actually put their hand in their pocket and buy a NEW performance car within 12months of the car being released??

I would say - not many...
Old 07-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there are a lot of opinionated dipsticks out there without much of a clue, not a lot you can do about it, except prove them wrong with a better product over a period of time, the F6 was on the right track, and it looks like the coyote will causing some humble pie eating in other camps, don`t loose the faith .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Some of the comments from the public just defy belief.
Well, you need to put it in perspective. FPV put a blower on someone else's engine. That isnt exactly a technical marvel, impressive though the performance figures are.

Its not the big deal that say, variable valve timing, or dual-clutch gearboxes were in terms of innovation at the time.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
Well, you need to put it in perspective. FPV put a blower on someone else's engine. That isnt exactly a technical marvel, impressive though the performance figures are.

Its not the big deal that say, variable valve timing, or dual-clutch gearboxes were in terms of innovation at the time.
Ok...now you have done it, your so off the mark its almost funny.

She aint no crate motor ala HSV.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Well I guess it's one step ahead of using someone elses catalogue engine in your car like HSV... Atleast FPV are innovative...

Old 07-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #16
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok...now you have done it, your so off the mark its almost funny.
Sorry, other than the blower, they also used a few of their own internals.

Again, so what? Thats not profoundly innovative. Its not the sort of thing anyone else in the world is really going to care about.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I think XWGT just proved his point.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #18
Dom1
Starter Motor

Being a HOLDEN person for along time(am toying with the idea of a fairlane so joined up here)I appreciate all cars no matter what badge BUT The reason HOLDEN has it over FORD is ,loyalty,marketing and ease of modifying .A mate runs a engine shop building worked motors mainly,and like he said for the gen 3 and above power is so easy to get and cheap(I know about the turbo fords)I think as a 16 year old kid getting a 1st car they get a commodore because they can get cheap parts,rims,power ups and stay brand loyal from then on in.I reckon this new FPV would make a nice addition in my dream garage next to a typhoon and a few hsvs.I think this car in particular will get quite a few HOLDEN guys buying em,seriously how cool is a legal factory supercharged car??If I had the $ I would buy one .Either way I think the gap is tightening between the 2 brands in general population but seriously here in sa every second commodore is tricked up and not that many FORDS are(thats why I like the idea of a fairlane something different) so the enthusiants are all over the commodore.Either way it looks like a great car ,hopefully the badge negatives just shut up
Dom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #19
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wasn't the coyote a straight drop V8 from the mustang, people are already saying the tuning capability and bolt ons are all available in the states SCT also has tuning capability on the mustang and as far as I was aware are confident they will be able to tune the coyote pretty much day its released, certain I read that on this very forum, if FPV have molested the stang v8 then the boltons and tuning won't work (its different as a result of the alterations)

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #20
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:

$40,000,000 is quite a bit to just drop a blower in ....... Must have been some great lunches at FPV.

Sorry about that ..... What was the topic about again. ??

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #21
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

It is vastly different from the base engine used in the states Mrbaxr6T, I believe either MOTOR or WHEELS or both have a rundown as to whats been changed for the S/C application.

I don’t get it, yes an ISF/C63 might be as fast (im yet to see that proven) leather might be better quality and ditto for switch gear but its a 130K-180K car + options compared to an 80K car at GTE level, for a 5.0L S/C v8 that meets all the worlds ever tightening 'GREEN' credentials, handles as well as any jap/euro performance based vehicle this side of 200K, and looks (while its a personal thing) elegant and purposeful.

Those who think the German’s and Japs don’t have reliability issues are deranged.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #22
XWGT