Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-01-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
oddsocks
Starter Motor

Exclamation Focus LW2 manual, Parking Aid Malfunction Won’t Start

Hi All,

I’ve got a manual 2014 focus LW2 that won’t start, message comes up “parking aid malfunction”, a bit stuck as to the cause. As it’s a manual presume it’s not a TCU, battery is new, fuses in all three fuse boxes look ok, just won’t turn over

Appreciate any suggestions

Cheers
oddsocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2020, 05:07 PM   #2
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 
Default Re: Focus LW2 manual, Parking Aid Malfunction Won’t Start

Need some codes to aid in some sort of direction. Clutch switch??
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2020, 09:56 PM   #3
oddsocks
Starter Motor

No codes come up, clutch switch checked ok, keys ok, battery leads checked- only other check I’ll do on the weekend will be the starter motor and coil

Absolutely lost, definitely electrical ‘somewhere’

Anything else, potentially?
Old 29-01-2020, 11:26 PM   #4
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

See if it starts if you by pass the starter relay..
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2020, 12:11 AM   #5
oddsocks
Starter Motor

Thanks, will try on Saturday
Old 12-02-2020, 11:03 PM   #6
oddsocks
Starter Motor

I finally had the opportunity to test the start motor both in the car and bench test through an auto-electrian, all good, have changed out all the relays with another focus i had access too, problem still not solved.

I presume it has nothing to do with the rear sensors sensors (ie. parking aide malfunction)? would the ford code reader provide any more info than the RAC reader?

cheers
Old 13-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #7
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would expect other things to be playing up if related to park aid but anything is possible

Try a different key if you have one
Check circuits to start relay in under bonnet fuse box
Bridge circuits 30 & 87 should crank engine = main relay contacts
Test with a test light across circuits 85 & 86 for power in crank position and earth with key on and crank position

Check battery voltage with multimeter

Last edited by 11ford11; 13-02-2020 at 09:58 AM.
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2020, 07:02 AM   #8
James_bf
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Hi, a few years ago I had the same issue.

Focus LW with Powershift auto.
Problem was caused by the transmission control module.

I know yours is a manual, but the fault may be in a totally different and unrelated module in your car.
James.
James_bf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2020, 09:41 PM   #9
oddsocks
Starter Motor

quick update, end result was two issues. First car wouldn't start due to bad body earth (unbolted strap on body, scratched the paint and reattached), all good.

Second issue was the code "Parking Aid Malfunction", which now that we can start the car, narrows it down to the reversing "module", as in reverse all the sensors don't pick anything up or make any noise.

Thanks for all your ideas and help, the end result was so simple but so frustrating to get to the end result.

thanks
Old 23-09-2020, 03:21 PM   #10
spiker

I had the clutches replace in my focus a couple of weeks ago, and since getting her back I have been getting the non start issue. Turn igntion off and run shifter back and forth a couple of times and then it will start, Thinking they may have messed up when fixing clutches. Getting it looked at in a couple of weeks, they are a bit booked up at the moment..
spiker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #11
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

could be the unit that tells the computer which gear you are in is misaligned or defective
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post