Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Default Going bad for a quid Bob??

Amazed when I read this in our local paper today.....
(Typical of the old coot I spose)
Link... http://www.starnewsgroup.com.au/star...ry/142065.html

CALDER Park Raceway has come under fire from outraged Brimbank motorists who claim they have been duped in to donating to a charity that does not exist.

The Raceway has been charging drivers $5 to enter their property to discourage illegal U-turns as previously reported by Star (Wrong way, 4 October).

A sign advertising the $5 fee also displayed the text: ‘All proceeds Sunbury Cancer Council.’ But Cancer Council Victoria spokesperson Deb Stringer told Star last week that this charity did not exist and that the Cancer Council had not received any funds from the Raceway.

Calder Park general manager Ian McArthur said it was an innocent mistake and that the funds have been donated to the Sunbury Cancer and Natural Therapy Foundation.

Mr McArthur said last week that up to 600 cars had been performing illegal U-turns on their property which had created a serious safety issue.

Brimbank Highway Patrol Senior Constable Trent Hewet said drivers were endangering themselves and others by not U-turning at designated points along the Calder Fwy.

But drivers have been outraged by the fee, labelling it as “unfair” and “unethical”, claiming signage wasn’t clear and that they were not provided with a receipt of their donation.

Mr McArthur said the fee was for entry to the Raceway and not a donation.

“The donation’s being made by us,” he told Star.

“We can donate it to any charity we like. The $5 is a deterrent. We haven’t done this as a result of trying to make money.”

The Sunbury Cancer and Natural Therapy Foundation confirmed they had received a donation from the Raceway recently, but would not disclose the amount.

Mr McArthur said it was around $160.

“The numbers (of drivers performing illegal U-turns) have drastically reduced now which is great,” he said.

But drivers are still unhappy.

One driver told Star she was outraged a receipt issued to her by the Raceway read “illegal U-turn” when she was told her $5 was a donation to the Sunbury Cancer Council.

Shane, who withheld his surname, told Star the Raceway had behaved “morally and ethically… wrong”.

“I can understand from their point of view (why they’re charging drivers),” Shane said.

“But I think he’s going the wrong way about it.”

Shane said he had contacted Consumer Affairs because the Raceway was falsely advertising the money was being given to the Sunbury Cancer Council.

He called on Mr McArthur to refund the money or donate it to Cancer Council Victoria and apologise to drivers.

Ms Stringer said the Cancer Council only endorsed fundraising activities which encourage voluntary donations and comply with the Fundraising Appeals Act and state laws.

She said locals wanting to get involved in fundraising can contact Regan Zaxos on 1300 65 65 85 to take part in the Sunbury Relay for Life in November or visit www.cancervic.org

2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Going bad for a quid Bob??

I was born in Sunbury

Now for that useless bit of information, I think they're within rights, their property, you want to use it, you pay?

Why the hell are they attempting U-turns across the freeway anyway?

Sunbury Road, next to the Melbourne Airport has issues with morons attempting U-turns, theres been a few fatalities there because someone has tried to chuck a U-turn across a 100km/h road, around a bend or just anywhere there and been t-boned, its also where I totalled my first Focus, but the guy wasn't doing a U turn but still came out across the road.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't do anything these days without being held to ransom by greed.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

Greed? How on earth do you come to that conclusion. If it was for greed he would be keeping the money, but instead its being donated to charity.
The $5 was simply put there to deter people from doing illegal u turns on his property
Its a sensible solution to a large problem and as stated in the article the fee has been successful in reducing the amount of people commiting illegal u turns on his property.
XARATE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARATE
Greed? How on earth do you come to that conclusion. If it was for greed he would be keeping the money, but instead its being donated to charity.
The $5 was simply put there to deter people from doing illegal u turns on his property
Its a sensible solution to a large problem and as stated in the article the fee has been successful in reducing the amount of people commiting illegal u turns on his property.
he admits that 600 in ONE week did it = $3000 for that week alone...

Calder has tipped in a mighty "$160"

donations and deterrent my behind......

If you advertise a charity that doesn't exist, keep the proceeds then donate a poofteenth to cover your ar$e after you have been found out!.. how the F*&k is that not greed and fraud!....

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
he admits that 600 in ONE week did it = $3000 for that week alone...

Calder has tipped in a mighty "$160"

donations and deterrent my behind......

If you advertise a charity that doesn't exist, keep the proceeds then donate a poofteenth to cover your ar$e after you have been found out!.. how the F*&k is that not greed and fraud!....
I thought he was sick of 600 people doing illegal turns every week so he started charging them which reduced the number of people breaking the rule. That's why they only made $160 because it scared the rest of them into obeying the rule
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I thought he was sick of 600 people doing illegal turns every week so he started charging them which reduced the number of people breaking the rule. That's why they only made $160 because it scared the rest of them into obeying the rule
Thats the way i read it as well???????
Old 13-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always do u-turns at Calder but I don't get how people pay? Is there someone standing right at the front now or are they driving right up to the gates...? Article is confusing but I severely dislike Bob Jane and the fact that I have to use his raceway.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post