Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-02-2023, 09:02 AM   #1351
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
There was an incident here couple of years back where a panel unstuck from the roof and flew into the path ofva following car which swerved to miss the panel and hii an oncoming car resulting in deaths.pretty sure it is a requirement that panel have to have a mechanical fixing ( screws rivets or bolts)and glue to affix panel now.And for your own peace of mind you should insist on having more than glue
prydey, Good to see quality Vitron stuff being used.

Some kind of mechanical fixing is always good usually along with gluing. Full length alloy angle is OTT and won't let the panel cool underneath properly. Myself, usually use 4 angle brackets inboard from the corners to allow airflow under but giving it enough area to mechanically fix it to the roof. Large pop rivets are fine along with some flexy Sikaflex to stop any leaks.

The installer might have not wanted to drill into the roof to avoid any possible leaks down the track and as far as I can see is NOT required to do so.

ADR on solar install on RV's does NOT specify any laws regarding installation only in that they must be securely fixed. (which can be interpreted as glued or screw)
Whole bus side panels are glued only onto the steel framework these days, along with Filon fibreglass panels on Winnebago's not to mention pantec bodies.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2023, 09:46 AM   #1352
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
prydey, Good to see quality Vitron stuff being used.

Some kind of mechanical fixing is always good usually along with gluing. Full length alloy angle is OTT and won't let the panel cool underneath properly. Myself, usually use 4 angle brackets inboard from the corners to allow airflow under but giving it enough area to mechanically fix it to the roof. Large pop rivets are fine along with some flexy Sikaflex to stop any leaks.

The installer might have not wanted to drill into the roof to avoid any possible leaks down the track and as far as I can see is NOT required to do so.

ADR on solar install on RV's does NOT specify any laws regarding installation only in that they must be securely fixed. (which can be interpreted as glued or screw)
Whole bus side panels are glued only onto the steel framework these days, along with Filon fibreglass panels on Winnebago's not to mention pantec bodies.
If youre only using full length on leading and trailing edges there is ample room along the side edges for air flow/heat dissipation, using full length along the leading edge prevents wind acting against those 2 small brackets.
You can actually buy proper solar panel angle which are full length and have a raised inner edge to give the panel more breathing room and is what I have on mine.
KT Cables is a brand and can be bought from Anaconda.

My Nephew recently repaired a van roof from water leaks that the owner had spent over 2k on at the mob who fitted Robs panel that they couldnt.

Is the TV aeriel only glued on, what about the A/C unit.
If they can mount both those with fasteners and not leak im not sure why a professional couldnt do the same with a simple solar panel.

Last edited by BENT_8; 22-02-2023 at 10:13 AM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2023, 10:30 AM   #1353
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Just sent a screen shot to my friends/family in the industry, and there are a few.
The responses we're all the same, WTF.
One said they throw away scrap offcuts bigger than those bits and only use steel not alloy. They all laughed at the excessively large junction box and that its upside down and that Dario along with Cararest are the dearest going around but atleast Cararest do quality work.

If youre happy with it Rob then so be it but its not a good install.
Old 22-02-2023, 12:25 PM   #1354
roKWiz
Cabover nut

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2023, 01:19 PM   #1355
Honest Gaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I gave the coffee machine a quick test, making the equivalent of 2 drinks one after the other, plus some flushing etc and all seemed ok.
Were you able to identify the A/Hrs the machine took from the battery ?
Honest Gaza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2023, 02:47 PM   #1356
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Just sent a screen shot to my friends/family in the industry, and there are a few.
The responses we're all the same, WTF.
One said they throw away scrap offcuts bigger than those bits and only use steel not alloy. They all laughed at the excessively large junction box and that its upside down and that Dario along with Cararest are the dearest going around but atleast Cararest do quality work.

If youre happy with it Rob then so be it but its not a good install.

Not sure why your expert friends say the Junction box is upside down. The size of it doesn't bother me. Not like you can see it and most vans have similar. The adhesive is sikaflex and is used in many applications including high stress joins between different materials.

I have no problem with Dario. I didn't find them expensive either. I guess forums are full of judge judy's.
Old 22-02-2023, 02:48 PM   #1357
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Gaza View Post
Not accurately. Solar feed in makes it difficult to see exactly what the before and after readings were. Will do some homework and let you know.
Old 22-02-2023, 03:27 PM   #1358
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not accurately. Solar feed in makes it difficult to see exactly what the before and after readings were. Will do some homework and let you know.
If you are using Victron there is provision to down load an app which gives input volts and amps. and also output volts and amps etc
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2023, 03:35 PM   #1359
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
If you are using Victron there is provision to down load an app which gives input volts and amps. and also output volts and amps etc
Yeah, I have the app.

Not sure how to work out the amount of Ah used though. Inverter was reading about 1200w. Cycle was about 10-20 seconds for the coffee part and maybe 1 minute or so for the milk... Maybe you can calculate it from that??

I wasn't paying real close attention. Just making sure it worked. Will have another play at some point and take note of what is going on.
Old 22-02-2023, 03:42 PM   #1360
hayseed

Quote:
Not sure why your expert friends say the Junction box is upside down. The size of it doesn't bother me. Not like you can see it and most vans have similar. The adhesive is sikaflex and is used in many applications including high stress joins between different materials.

I have no problem with Dario. I didn't find them expensive either. I guess forums are full of judge judy's.

hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2023, 05:25 PM   #1361
Honest Gaza

Quote:
I wasn't paying real close attention. Just making sure it worked. Will have another play at some point and take note of what is going on.
I only ask because it's easy to connect any Inverter to any Battery and power up a device (within reason). It's the ability to recharge the battery afterwards with available sunlight that determines if it's a viable solution.

I'm going to be setting up a Coffee Pod Machine off a 200AH Lithium Battery via 2000W Renogy Inverter...and am interested in what's being sucked out of the Battery.
Honest Gaza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2023, 06:26 PM   #1362
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Im missing the open fire and camping, so Im gonna just leave this here. Its a shot of my last trip to the local camp spot in Mclaren Vale. Pink Gum Campground.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2023, 06:30 PM   #1363
prydey
Rob

Great spot Shav. Been there a few times but only camped there once.
Old 22-02-2023, 07:08 PM   #1364
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Great spot Shav. Been there a few times but only camped there once.
Thanks mate, I agree. Such a great location and close to home but still has the country vibe. One of my favorite spots if I just want to do a sneaky overnighter.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2023, 07:39 PM   #1365
prydey
Rob

Blewitt Springs is a nice area, especially up where that camp ground is. A nice area for cycling too, as you know. Some walk trails around as well.
Old 22-02-2023, 07:45 PM   #1366
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Blewitt Springs is a nice area, especially up where that camp ground is. A nice area for cycling too, as you know. Some walk trails around as well.
Not many know of the rock climbing/boldering area a short walk from there too. Its not a bad way to check out some pro's doing their thing and be close to the river.

I just love the quiet there. The downside is all sites are quite close to each other.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
This user likes this post:
Old 22-02-2023, 09:11 PM   #1367
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
So, finally got around to getting the solar panel, solar controller and inverter fitted to my van.

I got it done at a place called Dario here in Adelaide. Good pricing and workmanship although they did leave the van in a bit of a mess.

Solar panel up front

Mppt controller

Inverter, fitted under dinette seat

And single powerpoint from inverter to run the small coffee machine

All Bluetooth too so turns on and off via the victron app.

I gave the coffee machine a quick test, making the equivalent of 2 drinks one after the other, plus some flushing etc and all seemed ok.

Nice to have that all done ready for our trip to Uluru in July. Just the folding mattress to address now. Don't want to spend much on this van as it's not a long term van so likely just go with some sort of mattress topper.
We have 2 panels on the roof of our Mercedes Sprinter Van and they were glued down with the you beaut sikaflex stuff. 30ks out of Goondiwindi , on a very rough and bumpy road ( that nearly bounced us out of our seats ) one flew off and near took out the car behind us. Since had them reinstalled, glued and screwed in to the roof. I'm a big fan of sikaflex, but that was a scary incident.............

Coffee machine set up looks good. Definitely a necessity..............
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2023, 09:23 PM   #1368
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
I'm a bit snobbier than that but I got sick of taking the house set up with us (grinder, espresso machine etc) and it took up a lot of bench space so I looked around for a pod machine that had a proper steam wand, and now have that just for the van.
Old 22-02-2023, 09:26 PM   #1369
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Unhappy Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
We have 2 panels on the roof of our Mercedes Sprinter Van and they were glued down with the you beaut sikaflex stuff. 30ks out of Goondiwindi , on a very rough and bumpy road ( that nearly bounced us out of our seats ) one flew off and near took out the car behind us. Since had them reinstalled, glued and screwed in to the roof. I'm a big fan of sikaflex, but that was a scary incident.............

You must be trolling too I guess..lol

The problem with using any adhesive is you're fixing a rigid panel to a flexible surface so when the surface flexes the panel doesnt and the joint, in this case Sikaflex, is stressed and fails.
Old 22-02-2023, 09:33 PM   #1370
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

Because it is but if youre happy with it then go your hardest.
Atleast if the panel flies off it wont be your family in the firing line I guess.
Old 22-02-2023, 09:39 PM   #1371
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Atleast if the panel flies off it wont be your family in the firing line I guess.
Ok, you've had your say (many times) so now go and play in another thread please.
Old 22-02-2023, 10:00 PM   #1372
prydey
Rob

Quote:

The problem with using any adhesive is you're fixing a rigid panel to a flexible surface so when the surface flexes the panel doesnt and the joint, in this case Sikaflex, is stressed and fails.
Most of these sikaflex products are actually designed for that purpose. They allow movement while maintaining a strong bond.
Old 22-02-2023, 10:04 PM   #1373
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Because it is but .
Is it?

Why would the seal go at the bottom? I've googled pictures of them and that is how they go as far as I can tell.

I personally don't know which is why I looked around after you commented.
Old 22-02-2023, 10:15 PM   #1374
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:

You must admit you do have form and have been banned before because you can't help yourself.......
This user likes this post:
Old 22-02-2023, 10:52 PM   #1375
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
You must admit you do have form and have been banned before because you can't help yourself.......
Yeah but I dont troll over what I consider safety.

I've always treated Rob with respect and even offered advice on van stuff due to my own time and family/friends in the industry.
In one of the articles I linked the head of Jayco himself said they only recommend screw and glue on their vans, I believe Rob has a Jayco so I find it hard to believe that Dario know better.

At the end of the day its Robs van and money but he's not sitting behind it.
Old 23-02-2023, 10:41 AM   #1376
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:

Upside down???
How do you open the junction box if the screwed lid is glued/screwed to roof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2023, 01:38 PM   #1377
prydey
Rob

Quote:
So I figured out how to turn the solar charge off in the app, so I could read pure battery volts. Before use it was reading 13v which is basically fully charged. I made the equivalent of 2 drinks and then turned everything off and let it sit for an hour. Battery voltage read 12.93v.

I'm aware it's not overly accurate but it's the best I have without adding a shunt to the system to read voltage in and out.

So very little drain on the battery.

During operation voltage dropped to low 11v which is to be expected. Like starting a car.
Old 23-02-2023, 01:43 PM   #1378
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I only ask because it's easy to connect any Inverter to any Battery and power up a device (within reason). It's the ability to recharge the battery afterwards with available sunlight that determines if it's a viable solution.

I'm going to be setting up a Coffee Pod Machine off a 200AH Lithium Battery via 2000W Renogy Inverter...and am interested in what's being sucked out of the Battery.
When I was buying the equipment for my setup I asked about changing to a lithium battery and I was told for my purpose it wasn't really worth it. He also warned that many lithium batteries have a max discharge rate of 100a, which wouldn't be able to run my machine, even though it would have more capacity. Make sure you read the specs so you don't get caught out.
Old 03-03-2023, 01:44 PM   #1379
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Spending the weekend camped at Barmera's fabulous Lake Bonney for the annual Carp Frenzy that has been a tradition for us and something we're continuing in memory of my best mate Jerry.

Arrived Wednesday evening and the weather has been nothing but sensational with mid to high 20's and sub 10knot winds.

Have to travel light these days with my new toy taking place over a 6x4 trailer of camp luxuries so tenting it is.

https://i.postimg.cc/MZd37QV8/20230303-112134.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/5y7Pbhbt/20230303-112102.jpg

As you can see from the dead grass/dirt along the foreshore at the caravan park, the flood water came up a looong way and we're lucky to be able to be here at all as the park closed for 3 months and only reopened mid Feb.

https://i.postimg.cc/90F83m3S/20230303-112613.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/G2RgQPXb/20230303-112624.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/13gd53g1/20230303-112634.jpg

And one of my new toy, what a blast
https://i.postimg.cc/NMxJPynm/20230303-112745.jpg
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2023, 03:08 PM   #1380
Trevor 57
is now there

off to Lake Boga for 5 days next week. It has been a while since the van has been out