Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Cool Ball Breaker

Just when you think things are going good, I get the phone call from number 2 son,"cars making realy strange noises and it wont steer straight" (AU111SR)
Well have been away all week so haven't had time to scratch myself, so decided it would be easyer to get it towed from Melb. CBD back to Cranny . So finally got home to have a look at it this morning only to find this mess
'

'

it would appear that the lower right ball joint gave up with little or know warning, Lucky it was only in the city at low speed and not on the freeway at 100kph as the wheel locked as it chewed through the rotor : Oh well what beter way to spend a 35c day but under the car ..the cars only has 160000s on it so was a bit surprised.. in the good old days a grease nipple or 2 would have saved it I'm sure :
On another note I am giving the car a full going over and service while its hear and have found a nasty oil leak from around the water pump someware,did a bit of a search but haven't come up with much info on this being a problem or ware it may be leaking from so before I pull half the front off the motor I would check here first. restasured I have checked the usuall rocker cover gaskets ext. but just carn't seem to pin piont ware its coming from.. Thanks In advance Whoosha

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

woosha.. Get a 10 mm socket ...gently tighten your timing case bolts. Also you may find an alternator bolt actually leaks oil.. Any way start with the timing case and the degrease it

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
woosha.. Get a 10 mm socket ...gently tighten your timing case bolts. Also you may find an alternator bolt actually leaks oil.. Any way start with the timing case and the degrease it
Its soaking in Kero as we speak thanks Stav
Old 31-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

yeah thats no good mate, when my balljoint got really worn it was doin similar, i just got to earlier. pretty rough.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
domnicosia
Starter Motor

Thats a serious failure of a ball joint!! Don't you guys have a yearly RWC down in Victoria? Ball joint normally become quite obvious way before they get to that state.

Scary when you thing of the possible out comes of that mate!?!!

Dom
domnicosia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
kcej
2mny projects 2 lttl time

Default Power steering fluid????

Mate is there any chance your "oil" leak might be power steering fluid?

Just a thought
kcej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

Actually domnicosia we dont have yearly RWC. but i can tell u straight my lower balljoint was still good 2 weeks earlier when we had car on hoist checking everything, and then later that week i was driving, it deleloped a squeak, a couple days later when turning it started grinding on the disc, which i heard, pulled wheel off to find it. When these go like this, there really is very little warning.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

As Matt has said no warning at all realy we had new tyers fitted 2 weeks ago
and all was good then , anyway all done now just came inside got all cleaned up so I can go to work for a rest,Off to Rockhampton in the AM
The pesky oil leak turned out to be the timing chain tensioner after numerous hours of pulling things apart I found it behind the power steering bracket .FFS who thawt that one up.Some how it had come loose and undid its self So did a bit of a search of the forums found the "How Too" and did it, put some new brake pads in it while it was apart. gave it a wash N polish,Then thought to myself no wonder #2 son keeps bringing it back home for repairs : :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
its in behind all this

pesky thing

All done

'

'

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
5 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Good job whoosh, which car do you want next week the wagon
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #10
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

Im pretty sure the only wagons you have are from the wrong stable........

Just dont think he would stoop that low...

Kev

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT