Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-01-2022, 05:39 PM   #4201
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
That mechanism looks almost identical to the one in the clock of mine I posted a picture of earlier.

First, lets get the key out of the way. If your mechanism is the same as mine, my key has an 8 stamped into it.

Using this site as a reference, a No 8 key fits a 4.25mm square shaft. By my calculated eye, and a rough measure with a measuring tape (coz I couldn't find a ruler) that seems about right. If you can measure the shaft on your clock, you'll at least be able to match up your clock to the key size you need.

This site is an aussie one and has a No 8 key in stock for $5. They also offers star clock keys in even and odd sizes. A bit more expensive ($16.50) but at least a good chance that you'll find something that fits. And best bit is, they have them available.

Ok, on to getting your clock running. I can see the suspension spring is there and that the pendulum suspension spring rods are fitted. That is where the pendulum is suspended from. Following the shaft visible in the picture down, you have the pendulum guide (a bit hard to see in this pic as the chime (or gong) spring is in the way) where the pendulum sits and makes the mechanism run.

Once your clock is wound, encourage that guide to start. If everything is ok, it should run fairly strongly for a couple of minutes without the pendulum. If it doesn't that means there's an issue somewhere else, maybe things need a good lube, or perhaps one of the bearings is worn.

If everything runs ok up to this stage, it's time to suspend the pendulum. Hang it from the spring rods, ensuring the pendulum shaft sits inside the guide, but that it doesn't touch the front (clock face) side of the guide as this will cause it to sop quite quickly. Start the pendulum and see how it runs.

The next part is to listen to the clock mechanism: it should be a nice, even rhythm. It should be tick.....tock.....tick.....tock not tick..tock........tick..tock. If the rhythm is uneven, there should be arms from the face with screws that attach from the back that allow you to loosen the mechanism and rotate the face within the body of the clock. Incrementally adjust this until the rhythm is nice and even.

Having done all that, your clock should then work ok. The last thing to do is to adjust the length of the weight on the pendulum so that the clock keeps time. Run the weight down the shaft if it's running fast, and up the shaft if it's running slow. Very minor adjustments may be needed to get it spot on. Start off with visible changes to the location of the weight on the shaft so that a discernible difference in time keeping is evident. Then make finer adjustments as you go.

Hope that helps, Ross 1. Sing out and let us know how you go along the way. Hopefully it's just a case of the clock needing winding to get going again.
Awesome help, cheers for that
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-01-2022, 11:27 PM   #4202
.:4:.
Kicking back

Kind of random, but in 2 days 2 blokes who did their apprenticeships when i did contacted me. One bloke is still in the industry, another is sort of in the industry, myself im done with it. Things have really changed. As young blokes yes work was work, but tradesmen played the game and if you knew the game it was fun. These days its a paperwork game.
But anyhow, these days some sign in's are finger veign scanner's. So not fingerprints, anyhow.
In the apprenticeship days and 8 or 9 years into tradesmanship, things were good. Aslong as you werent a spastic stuffing up every job, you were apples. Now its more time sorting paperwork then doing the job. Kind of glad ive got out of the trade.
Good to catch up with mates though.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2022, 08:29 AM   #4203
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yesterday actually ...Got home too late to bother turning the lap top on . But yesterday I got a very rare chance to play in the local Veterans Golf Association at our local club . Normally working ..

Have returned to golf in recent times after several years break (about 7 years since I picked up a club until about May last year) although I played from age 14 until 54 til then .. Been shooting high eighties to mid nineties apart from the odd 82/83 ish a couple of times but fell in love with the game again after the main reason for taking a break being the opposite after 40 years continuous and taking it too seriously . Used to be low 70's a few times in the high 60's in my much younger days when I was off 5-7 hcp .

Got drawn out with a bloke I played Div 3 pennant against and a former team mate who now plays elsewhere and we had a ball ..Geez it was fun ..Like the old days .

We all played well but somehow or other I scraped up 40 stableford points and won the comp on 16 handicap and shot 79 off the stick as it happens as none of us had a bust or pick up hole on our cards .. Me 40 pts /79 , Shan 34pts/82 and David 34 pts 84 . Old Dave was as thrilled as me because he has really battled health issues . He also won the $50 IGA Gift Card raffle too .Dave.(nickname is DB) is one of the most kind hearted and gentle souls you'd ever find .

The feed for lunch was amazing , so was the company , the course was beaut and it turned out to be a feel good day .. Oh yes and the Hurricanes pinched a win in the BBL too to top off a great day ,, Sadly back to work next week so most likely no more for a while Vets Day golf but yesterday was tops ..

Last edited by roddy1960; 14-01-2022 at 08:44 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2022, 09:42 AM   #4204
slowsnake
Banned

Sounds like you had a most "excellent" day?......they don't come along often, and you always remember it too, as a very good day!

Well done, in these bad Covid-19 times you found some peace of mind and a little happiness along the way, sounds 👍
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2022, 10:31 PM   #4205
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, this might sound strange, but......Seeing my dog swim for the first time! He swam about 15 metres all by himself at the beach!!!! Freaken stoked.!!! This is a dog that hates water, took a long time to get him in and up to chest high. Tonight I carried him to waters up to my chest height, let him go, and off he went!!

He is a staffie, they aren't great swimmers naturally I believe.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2022, 10:34 AM   #4206
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Novak's visa again cancelled.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2022, 10:41 AM   #4207
slowsnake
Banned

It would be nice to know if his sponsors pay him a "big bonus" if he shows their logo on his shirt more than once a day, or on international news/ TV or social media, I mean it is big bucks for both the business and sponsors player, be it tennis, cricket, golf soccer or basketball?
Old 15-01-2022, 10:49 AM   #4208
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Ok, this might sound strange, but......Seeing my dog swim for the first time! He swam about 15 metres all by himself at the beach!!!! Freaken stoked.!!! This is a dog that hates water, took a long time to get him in and up to chest high. Tonight I carried him to waters up to my chest height, let him go, and off he went!!

Get him a boogie board, just a cheap one, if he don't ride it then he can chew the crap out of it.......
Old 15-01-2022, 11:44 AM   #4209
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Get him a boogie board, just a cheap one, if he don't ride it then he can chew the crap out of it.......
Funny, I was just speaking to a friend about paddle boarding with the dog. Didn't realise those paddle boards are over $1k!

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2022, 12:22 PM   #4210
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Was at the beach with friends, one brought their Staffy. Floyd was completely obsessed with his ball, would chase and return it for hours and never let up. This ball was being thrown into the sea and Floyd would run in and retrieve. Then the ball got split...thrown in and gone under. This dog kept going, searching and searching, further and further out. Couple of us had to get in there and bring him back, he was exhausting himself, just wouldnt give up the search....was a little frightening, we all loved that dog. I ended up owning one of Floyds litter, always kept her on a leash when at the beach
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2022, 01:08 PM   #4211
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Arriving home after five and a half weeks away at work, and then finding this waiting for me

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2022, 09:15 PM   #4212
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The divine Miss Kylie in a red dress and boots always makes me feel good!

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2022, 10:30 PM   #4213
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

true story 15 years ago I was in Adelaide airport and there she was on her own, everybody pointing and chatting but dear Miss K sitting on her own
I am no spring chicken and not gods answer to a beautiful women but I felt pity on her, so boldly walked
"excuse me Kylie, are you on your own? Can I buy you a tea or coffee?"
2 things she could do laugh at me and make feel an idiot. but...
"thank you tea would be lovely, thankyou'.
After our teas arrived... chat went along the lines
"your told old to be hitting on me, so why this?"
"you appeared very uncomfortable with all these gawkers, so I thought I might help you out."
we chatted for next 10 minutes about what I do, did I follow her career, trivial stuff, then she was asked into VIP lounge I wasnt allowed but got a nice hug.
It was interesting finding a real person under all the glitz.
Old 15-01-2022, 10:50 PM   #4214
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
true story 15 years ago I was in Adelaide airport and there she was on her own, everybody pointing and chatting but dear Miss K sitting on her own
I am no spring chicken and not gods answer to a beautiful women but I felt pity on her, so boldly walked
"you appeared very uncomfortable with all these gawkers, so I thought I might help you out."
we chatted for next 10 minutes about what I do, did I follow her career, trivial stuff, then she was asked into VIP lounge I wasnt allowed but got a nice hug.
I am so jealous of you right now!

That said, I would have been so star struck that I would not have had the guts to do what you did.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2022, 01:27 PM   #4215
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Funny, I was just speaking to a friend about paddle boarding with the dog. Didn't realise those paddle boards are over $1k!
Was thinking Kmart foamite type boogie board, gotta be under 20 bucks, tie a thin clothesline rope to it and just pull him along, too easy.......
Old 16-01-2022, 01:30 PM   #4216
slowsnake
Banned

Telling my cat he is 10 years old today, he is a Capricorn cat, but he looked at me and yawned, lol, too cool 😎
Old 16-01-2022, 01:35 PM   #4217
slowsnake
Banned

Talking about Kylie Minogue........

https://youtu.be/tNQrv3vzCQ0
Old 16-01-2022, 06:59 PM   #4218
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I listened to Miss K for 4 hours while working today, mainly because of this post.

Can I ask what year you met her?
Mustang GT

Old 16-01-2022, 07:03 PM   #4219
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I listened to Miss K for 4 hours while working today
Some sort of Guiness World Record attempt?

/
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2022, 07:11 PM   #4220
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Some sort of Guiness World Record attempt?

/
Nah, I have set that record many many times!
Mustang GT

Old 16-01-2022, 07:41 PM   #4221
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yikes at that stage in my working life I was tripping Adel Melb return every 2 weeks but Iam thinking '06 '07
I cannot even remember what she was wearing, thats her eyes for ya. once we got over the jeez who am I talking to it was just so easy. I know I didnt have mobile ph
Old 16-01-2022, 08:13 PM   #4222
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
yikes at that stage in my working life I was tripping Adel Melb return every 2 weeks but Iam thinking '06 '07
I cannot even remember what she was wearing, thats her eyes for ya. once we got over the jeez who am I talking to it was just so easy. I know I didnt have mobile ph
That would have been after her cancer treatment and around the time of her album X, some really good bangers on that album.

A lot of make-up was used in creation of that album.......

Sorry if this is a bore, but everyone has a singer/entertainer that helps us escape reality.
Mustang GT

Old 16-01-2022, 09:13 PM   #4223
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thank god she didnt look like that She was the natural well as natural as she could be.
The main reason I did it was every far yobbo and their daughters were gawking and not doing anything.
Kylie could have been quiet happy on her own, but I simply felt sorry for her being stuck in the limelight.

my 3 interactions with well known celebrities.
1. As a young teenager I had a lawn mowing business and was asked to do this ladies lawns, didnt know nor didnt care who she was Ngaio Marsh famous author Christchurch NZ
2. When I started working I was a grocer boy in one of those corner stores, except we were big, 8 full time staff. I did the afternoon deliveries in Austin A30/A40 van and one of our clients was Norman Kirk prime minister NZ...I could pull up the driveway grab box of food, walk in back door yell out and leave. What was the word security in those simple days.
3 the beautiful Kylie.
Old 16-01-2022, 10:45 PM   #4224
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I waited over an hour in line to meet Nigella Lawson.

I love her approach to cooking and I find her demeanor so soothing. I say that in a completely innocent way. She was touring her "A Evening With Nigella" show, which I attended at Hamer Hall. At the end of the talk, she held an autograph session, which I stood in a line all the way to end of the block at 11pm on a Saturday night in Melbourne. I was one the last few in the line. Even before joining the cue, I decided that I had come this far and I was not going to back out of a chance to meet a person who I have always admired.

As I got closer and closer, and eventually back into Hamer Hall, I could see her beaming smile and fabulous red dress. When it was my turn, she looked towards me and said "hellooooooo" is such as lovely, warm way. I was 33 at the time, and not be rude, but I guess she had just spent the last hour signing her autograph for bunch of 60+ old ladies . I was dressed pretty smartly and was beaming from ear to ear. Of course, I suddenly became starstruck and before I knew, it was all over.

I came away from it on cloud nine, my book signed and a bunch of photos of me standing next to the one and only Nigella Lawson.

Nigella was a trouper, she met and signed every single person in line on that night. I respect that so much, clearly she knows the impact she has on people and appreciates the support she gets from her fans.
Mustang GT

7 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2022, 12:00 AM   #4225
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now Nigella I can get on board with
8 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2022, 12:39 AM   #4226
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’ve watched nigella for many, many hours, had no idea she could cook!

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 17-01-2022, 12:48 AM   #4227
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yesterday I gave my dads partner one of my cars, my N15 pulsar. I bought it cheap, had it repainted, did some repairs and put all new tyres on for her. Dad calls today saying she hasn’t stopped crying that someone would do that for her. I told her she has put up with my dad for over 20 years, it’s the least I can do ��

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 17-01-2022, 03:23 AM   #4228
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Yesterday I gave my dads partner one of my cars, my N15 pulsar. I bought it cheap, had it repainted, did some repairs and put all new tyres on for her. Dad calls today saying she hasn’t stopped crying that someone would do that for her. I told her she has put up with my dad for over 20 years, it’s the least I can do ��
Was it one with the sr20? I made my late dads wife cry a few years back. But that was different. The court and myself are mates.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2022, 08:09 AM   #4229
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I waited over an hour in line to meet Nigella Lawson.

Nigella was a trouper, she met and signed every single person in line on that night. I respect that so much, clearly she knows the impact she has on people and appreciates the support she gets from her fans.
I'd like to know what supports her massive rack?..no, not lamb!
Old 17-01-2022, 03:52 PM   #4230
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
my 3 interactions with well known celebrities.
3 is the number, Tonz.

I've had 3 as well.

!st... one was as an 2nd year apprentice working on Government house in Macquarie st Sydney.
I had bought a really crap pie from Circular Quay, taken it back with me to eat on the verandah we were working on. On offering the remains to the Governors dog a Golden Retreiver hanging around, Lady Cutler sticks her head out of the doorway and said, Oh I don't think he would want to eat that. In the second I had turned to see who spoke, Woof, dog snapped it from my hands and down it went in one go. We all had a good laugh and chatted on regular re visits.

2nd... Building walls for a guy in Newcastle, he mentioned his brother wanted to pop around and see how all the garden wall terracing was going. The brother turned out to be Ian Moss, ex chisels. Nice bloke, heard some great yarns about the music industry.

3rd....Same busy road in Newcastle was building a stone entrance when this guy stopped admiring my work. He asked me if I would mind if he brought his wife over to look at what I was building, (happens a lot) yeah I said thats fine.
About an hour later he returns in a clapped out old ute, and out from the passenger seat steps Marcia Hines.
I was a little taken aback at first but we got talking about all sorts of wacky subjects, occassionally mentioning building stuff.
About 6 weeks later here I was building a nice wall for Marcia, again in the same road, 6 doors up from Mosses brother.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post: