Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Holden Commodore is in Chrysler's sights as it prepares new 300 range with sharper st

Holden Commodore is in Chrysler's sights as it prepares new 300 range with sharper style and pricing.

Chrysler says it’s preparing to take on the all-conquering Holden Commodore in the sales race with a refreshed version of its 300C due to arrive in Australia next year.

Ford this week waved the white flag in the Falcon’s pursuit of the lead in the large car sales race that Commodore has held for 15 years, conceding it could never catch its rival. It has also not guaranteed the car’s future beyond the current model’s expected retirement in 2015.

And while Chrysler Australia chief executive Clyde Campbell isn’t counting on toppling the evergreen Holden in the short term, he believes aggressive pricing and less-polarising styling will help the new 300C (which may drop the “C” as it is now known internationally as the 300) find wider appeal than its predecessor in the diminishing family car market.

Advertisement: Story continues below
“We’re pretty bullish about the prospects for that car here,” Campbell says. “We’re being able to take advantage of pretty favourable trading prospects between us and the country of manufacture at the moment.”

The current 300C base model kicks off from $40,000 (plus on-road costs), just $10 more than the entry-level Commodore Omega, but Chrysler is determined to seize the pricing advantage.

“It will certainly come in cheaper than the previous model, and with more equipment. That will see us go head to head with some of the more traditional players in that segment and increase volume,” he says.

The original 300C was a cult hit when it arrived in Australia in 2004 with its distinctive three-box shape and gangster styling.

The new model was unveiled earlier this year at the Detroit motor show. It retains the original’s outrageous metal-to-glass ratio and unfashionably squared-off silhouette, but has a much more corporate appearance and a redesigned interior.

“The looks are still pretty iconic,” Campbell says. “It’s less different than previous model was, but it provides a genuine point of difference for someone who is looking to stand out from the crowd a bit and have a bit more refinement and luxury than perhaps they perceive in some of the traditional offerings.

“It’s still very much a 300C. It’s revolutionary technology, and evolutionary in shape and design. But it’s certainly more refined, and deliberately designed to appeal to a broader market on a global basis. It’s less polarising, for want of a better word, and we certainly think it’s going to bring some numbers to the showrooms.”

The new 300 range will arrive in Australia with a choice of a “Pentastar” petrol V6 mated to an eight-speed automatic, or a turbo diesel V6 - the same engines as those used in Jeep’s Grand Cherokee.

Unlike the Commodore and the current 300C, though, a petrol V8 isn’t a walk-up starter for the new range.

“The V8 we haven’t planned for at this stage, we’re still trying to map out what the volume case for that is,” Campbell says. “It seems the buying public has moved away from that a fair bit, V8s in that size car.”

Last edited by csv8; 26-01-2012 at 07:36 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden Commodore is in Chrysler's sights as it prepares new 300 range with sharper st

They have to bring the SRT8 here. You cant have a 300c line up without the SRT8.
I would be tempted into the 6.4L V8 if it has better pricing then the previous 300c.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
Chopped
as in chopped

Default Re: Holden Commodore is in Chrysler's sights as it prepares new 300 range with sharper st

I have a feeling that this 300C will not attract all of the same buyers that the previous model did. The new model is a nice looking car but I think the first models success was a fad (which has passed).
Old 08-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

No V8! Thats the best bit about the 300C, the hemi under the bonnet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
StrokedXT
Banned

Its not a real Hemi v8

300c is a car bought by tossers who think they look cool but dont care about handling, interior finish etc so it may take some sales off commodore.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedXT
Its not a real Hemi v8

300c is a car bought by tossers who think they look cool but dont care about handling, interior finish etc so it may take some sales off commodore.
Russellw our forums chairman and administrator happens to drive a SRT8, I think he has been happy with it and I would imagine he wouldn't care less what other people thought about his purchase.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Russellw our forums chairman and administrator happens to drive a SRT8, I think he has been happy with it and I would imagine he wouldn't care less what other people thought about his purchase.
Well good for him, truly that bit of info has changed my life.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its not a real Hemi v8

Falcons in general are far from the final word on best handlng and interior fit and finish since the au days.. (handling anyways)

looks is each to their own.. -can look good if not overdone..
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I have a feeling that this 300C will not attract all of the same buyers that the previous model did. The new model is a nice looking car but I think the first models success was a fad (which has passed).
Personally I think it will sell better than the last one, the last one looked bloody stupid

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #10
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
Falcons in general are far from the final word on best handlng and interior fit and finish since the au days.. (handling anyways)

looks is each to their own.. -can look good if not overdone..
I know the falcon ain't the greatest, that's why the 300 must be bad because most people rate it lower than the locals in those areas
Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Its not a real Hemi v8

Have you driven a 300C, let alone a SRT8 to be able to make such a bold statement ?.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

I could imagine Chrysler may wait till the SRT-8 upgrades it's 5 speed auto for the 8 speeder later this year or early next.
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #13
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Personally I think it will sell better than the last one, the last one looked bloody stupid
IMO the last one looked tougher than our Aussie sedans. It is sort of like the "Hummer" of sedans.

The new one looks more refined / up-market (euro) which will attract different buyers to the ones that made the previous model a success. So you may be right regarding the sales.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Have you driven a 300C, let alone a SRT8 to be able to make such a bold statement ?.
I had a drive of one a few months back. Performance was great.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its not a real Hemi v8

And that is your opinion.
My opinion is I think they are a pretty cool car and would love to own one.

I drove the 5.7L hemi a couple of weeks ago and I can say it went great.
Not the greatest handling car in the world once you take it into some bend quickly, But in normal day to day driving it handles fine.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #16
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do like the look of the old one
seeing I cant buy a Fairlane any more
that would be my other choice
no Caprice on the horizon for me
Im sticking with my BA Fairmont Ghia till
some one at Ford AU makes a decision
about a Fairlane
now from another angle
if Chrysler called the V8s Chrysler 300s or 300Cs
but the sixes Valiants
I reckon they would be on a winner
a lot of people have fond memories of Valiants
me included it makes some sort of sense
V8s are called 300Cs
sixes are called Valiants
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #17
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2012 SRT8 http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/22/2...-drive-review/
Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #18
stang65
FPRJET

Would never happen How are their sales now to make such a bold statement.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #19
cartaa100
FG POWER

300c's are hideous! they are for the "big" men who think there so g@NgSt@@

once told one to get off his phone, he said "WHAT!!" told him to "get *********" and he just drove off ahah i have a hate for them and subaru drivers i find so aggresive!!

sorry my story was kind of off topic :P

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11332753  
cartaa100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its almost laughable saying they are trying to knock off Commodore.

The current 300C has been selling around a few hundred for a while now. It would be lucky if it could outsell the Aurion let alone the Falcon and Commodore.

Can't say fleets would want to buy them, which is were most Commodore sales go.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #21
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaa100
What's worse then people acting gangster, is people who put badges on their car that don't relate to the car
Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #22
cartaa100
FG POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
What's worse then people acting gangster, is people who put badges on their car that don't relate to the car

whats that mean? ahah

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11332753  
cartaa100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The current 300C has been selling around a few hundred for a while now. It would be lucky if it could outsell the Aurion let alone the Falcon and Commodore.
Going off V-facts Chrysler sold 51 units in July. So they need something to turn.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #24
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaa100

once told one to get off his phone, he said "WHAT!!" told him to "get *********" and he just drove off ahah i have a hate for them and subaru drivers i find so aggresive!!

sorry my story was kind of off topic :P
How old are you?
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #25
stang65
FPRJET

Hey Hulk how old are you bit personal isn`t it?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #26
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Well the US website lists 300C's are $27k to $39K (SRT Excluded).

If they apply some efficiency to getting them here, forget the hardcore, at $35k they could outsell lots of med/large cars.

It has RWD space, style, its not a euro, its cool. But id have to have a V8.

If Ford kick an "own goal" and choose the Taurus ( A car I wont buy just on principle) the 300 is the go.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #27
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
Well the US website lists 300C's are $27k to $39K (SRT Excluded).

If they apply some efficiency to getting them here, forget the hardcore, at $35k they could outsell lots of med/large cars.

It has RWD space, style, its not a euro, its cool. But id have to have a V8.

If Ford kick an "own goal" and choose the Taurus ( A car I wont buy just on principle) the 300 is the go.
Same. It's still a bit too gaudy for my liking but when I see the new model in the flesh I may change my mind. If there was no Falcon I would be seriously considering a 300. It has a bit of old school style about it which I like and is a great cruiser.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:23 AM   #28
stang65
FPRJET

I think the old model looks better than the new model they have really stuffed up by putting square headlights on it.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #29
Benjamin Smith

I guy at my work purchased a purple 300c hemi with 24" rims and I think it's awesome sounds good and looks good except for the tire rub
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 12:36 AM   #30
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I liked the styling of the original, but felt the interior let it down. Performance was awesome, refinement was average, not bad, just average. I lived with one for 2 weeks and would see myself living with the new one based on the pictures. I judge the interior as the most important part of the car as it's where you spend your time, which is why I wouldn't buy a current model.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post