Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-08-2015, 04:06 AM   #1
Fairlane Al

Default AU Fairlane radio antenna replacement.

Good morning all,

My Fairlane had a broken aerial when I brought it. I'm looking to replace it, but it seems they're hard to find. I know there's some aftermarket replacements made, but I haven't been able to find any that say they'll work in a Fairlane, and I'm unwilling to assume they just will.

Does anyone know what my best option for replacing the electric aerial is, is there an aftermarket aerial made that will suit my Fairlane, or am I stuck trying to find an AU Fairlane aerial somewhere-they've proven to be difficult to find like many AU Fairlane specific parts can be. I'm unsure if there would have been anything fitted to an E or N series that may be useful to me here either, and again, I'm unwilling to stump up cash just on a hunch that something may fit.

At the moment I've got a generic manual aerial which does the job but is somewhat awkward to work with, so there's no real urgency here but it would be nice to get it fixed.

Thanks, Alex.
Fairlane Al is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2015, 06:15 AM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: AU Fairlane radio antenna replacement.

See http://aerpro.com/vehicles/ford/ford...s_i_ii_and_iii AP3 should be OK. Also try Cov's for an original.

Last edited by aussiblue; 31-08-2015 at 06:23 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

AP3 will not fit. The Fairlane mast is thicker and was unique to AU Fairlane. There were some aftermarket units available on ebay but the nipple on the end of the mast needs modifying to retract flush and the rope needs to be shortened about 60mm, I have one of those in each of our Fairlanes. I just looked on ebay and didn't find them at the moment but I'm sure they'll pop up again.

Don't waste your money on any mast that says it will fit any Falcon or Fairmont as they are too thin. Your only other option is to buy OEM or find a used one.

Been there, done that, learned the hard way.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-LTD-Ra...item2a56dc2dc0 ouch!
Old 31-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #5
Fairlane Al

Yeah $150.00 for a second hand aerial is a bit much if you ask me.

How exactly does the AP3 not fit, is it a complete no go or could I possibly make it fit? If I did, would it plug in and talk to the car normally, as I know these are all computer controlled, not a simple up/down like some aerials are?
Fairlane Al is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2015, 06:33 PM   #6
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Well, they are a simple up down actually except there is a half up function unique to high series cars. The AP3 mast won't fit the AU Fairlane/LTD aerial unit as it's too thin and will just push all the way out until it falls out completely. Also, a full Falcon electric aerial unit won't fit into place in the first instance and it doesn't have the top plate and lock ring that the Fairlane has because it's countersunk into the front guard in the second instance.

If you want your aerial to function the way the factory intended you either need a second hand unit from a wreck or wait till the aftermarket items show up on ebay again and modify it to fit like I did.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2015, 07:15 PM   #7
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. Rather than use the limit switches built in to fully auto antennas ford adjusted the time that power stays on to suit the required need and used an antenna without switches. When aftermarket antennas are used you tend to find that the 1/2 up only becomes a 1/3 up and full up about 3/4 up and never all the way down. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2015, 10:51 PM   #8
zdenko
2002 XR6 VCT Owner

I have one floating around in the boot of my Falcon.
Came from a 99 Series 1 NU Fairlane Ghia.
I will PM you as well.
Air Hog Air Filter + 2.5 Inch Sterling Mandrel Bent Exhaust + Supercheap Oval Tip.
Carbon Fibre Style Vinyl Wrapped Roof and Boot
zdenko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post