Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Tesla Sues Top Gear

Car maker sues Top Gear
Stephen Ottley
March 31, 2011 - 9:21AM

US car maker Tesla sues Top Gear
The Silicon Valley based manufacturer of electric sportscars is suing the BBC over a Top Gear episode from 2009.
US car maker Tesla is suing the BBC's Top Gear program for damages, accusing the show of "libel and malicious falsehood".

The American company has launched legal action this week over the television show's review of its all-electric Roadster sports car in December 2009. Tesla alleges the show deliberately misled viewers by portraying falsely that one Roadster ran out of battery charger while another model over-heated.

The segment by controversial host Jeremy Clarkson showed the film crew pushing the Tesla off the test track for recharging. Tesla also alleges that one of its employees saw a script that included plans to show the car being pushed before any of the cast had driven the car.

Tesla has launched legal action against Top Gear.
The two organisations clashed directly after the review went to air, but Tesla has decided to launch legal proceedings now because Top Gear is using the story on DVDs and repeats.

"We have repeatedly complained about the inaccuracies and have asked the BBC to correct them, but they ignored us," Tesla spokesman Myra Pasek told the UK's Daily Mail newspaper. "The BBC's conduct has given us no choice but to sue them and clear up their lies."

Tesla is seeking up to £100,000 ($156,000) in damages, according to its lawsuit filed with the High Court in London.

The BBC acknowledged the proceedings but offered no further comment.

This isn't the first time the British motoring show has upset car makers. Ferrari asked Top Gear to stop using fake versions of its 360 supercars for its live touring shows after Drive exclusively revealed in 2009 that stunt drivers were using rebodied Toyotas.

Top Gear was only in court last year as part of a legal battle with the publisher behind a book written by the show's former 'Stig' racing driver, Ben Collins.

Old 31-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: Tesla Sues Top Gear

Thats the problem with TG. Its Heavily Scripted, almost EVERY Piece is. & It may have come back to bite them.

Slightly off topic, but why on earth would you even go through the effort of making a 'replica' Ferrari 360?
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

To remove a few of those pesky 0's.

Lukeyson
Old 31-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
MarkAW

It's funny and they are a pack of pommy bogans but sooner or later the funny side wears a bit thin and then it's lawyers at 20 paces.

They get what they deserve.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of course it's scripted, I wonder why people bring that up for discussion like it shouldn't be, or like that other shows are not. I love the show, but I completely understand why Tesla isn't happy, and yep they get what they deserve.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAW
It's funny and they are a pack of pommy bogans but sooner or later the funny side wears a bit thin and then it's lawyers at 20 paces.

They get what they deserve.
Gotta agree with you there. A couple weeks ago, I watched an episode where they were in America - firing guns out of their cars into a cardboard cutout of a person. The cutout then became an image of the Stig & they cut loose on it. Sorta lost me as a viewer & struck me as just a bit childish.......
Peter B - CV8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
Gotta agree with you there. A couple weeks ago, I watched an episode where they were in America - firing guns out of their cars into a cardboard cutout of a person. The cutout then became an image of the Stig & they cut loose on it. Sorta lost me as a viewer & struck me as just a bit childish.......
Agreed, that was a poor effort with shooting of the Stig cutout.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone know what Tesla suggest happened? From memory they had guys over there during filming.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
Agreed, that was a poor effort with shooting of the Stig cutout.
Yes they really should get some shooting lessons......

As far as Tesla.

Silly, silly septics. The 100k is just coffee money but will bring them years and years of "nastiness" from the most popular car show in the world.

Tesla will come last at everything from now on and every single flaw or bad point will be highlighted while any good points ignored completely.

Tesla should have returned fire in kind and made a game out of it. The would have got them a lot of good publicity and much more free airtime instead of the "nya nya I am going to tell my Dad on you"...
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8

The segment by controversial host Jeremy Clarkson showed the film crew pushing the Tesla off the test track for recharging. Tesla also alleges that one of its employees saw a script that included plans to show the car being pushed before any of the cast had driven the car.

Would have been funny to get extension leads and film Clarkson joining them all together to get to the car.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Does anyone know what Tesla suggest happened? From memory they had guys over there during filming.
http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/def...y_29_03_11.pdf

Enjoy..................

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #12
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
I see no problems with the TG review from reading that.

They are attempting to sure probably the most well funded telivision company in the world for a mere 100,000 pounds, and by the looks of that argument they could probably lose even without the BBC's finances funding the other side.

I was under the impression that a review is designed to show both the good and bad points of a car, apparrently I was wrong.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
MarkAW

With all the bad publicity from both Ferrari and Tesla what they really risk is car manufacturers realising that irrespective of how good a product they have they risk it being rubbished just because the show would get a larger audience.

The truth may come a poor second.

From the other side people should realise that the show is purely entertainment and has very little basis in facts or science.
Old 31-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAW
With all the bad publicity from both Ferrari and Tesla what they really risk is car manufacturers realising that irrespective of how good a product they have they risk it being rubbished just because the show would get a larger audience.

The truth may come a poor second.

From the other side people should realise that the show is purely entertainment and has very little basis in facts or science.
In a society where Home and Away and Neighbours are considered reality television and ACA a documentary no one cares.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I remember the TG episode and remember they did show the Tesla in a bad light. I thought at the time it wasn't all that fair and it seems I was right.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #16
RaiDeN

But it made me laugh, and probably everyone else. Thats the idea.
RaiDeN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #17
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Funnily enough no one seems to get upset when they take the **** out of the Prius on a regular basis....

It smells like a publicity stunt to me, £100k is chump change to these guys....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #18
mick10010

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
As far as Tesla.

Silly, silly septics. The 100k is just coffee money but will bring them years and years of "nastiness" from the most popular car show in the world.

Tesla will come last at everything from now on and every single flaw or bad point will be highlighted while any good points ignored completely.

Tesla should have returned fire in kind and made a game out of it. The would have got them a lot of good publicity and much more free airtime instead of the "nya nya I am going to tell my Dad on you"...
Exactly what I thought. 100k is chump change for both of them.

I'm going to make a guess that most people actually in the market for a Tesla is going to be intelligent enough to see top gear for what it is, entertainment. I have a mate that's studying to be a solar engineer who loves the things...me personally, well it's no v8...sorry

Overall bad move Tesla!
mick10010 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #19
MarkAW

Quote:
In a society where Home and Away and Neighbours are considered reality television and ACA a documentary no one cares.......
Yes, true for the public

But for the high end car manufacturers image is everything - think of rollers without their reputation, who'd buy one
Old 31-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #20
BlueBear
Shockwave

Quote:
It smells like a publicity stunt to me, £100k is chump change to these guys....
Best 100k spent on advertising yet for top gear.
What do you say we do the opposite of what they want and just stop talking about it???
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha .....
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #21
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

remember Dodge wouldn't give hammond a Challenger to review for this very reason. i think you'll see more and more makers will opt out of sending TGUK any cars.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #22
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
remember Dodge wouldn't give hammond a Challenger to review for this very reason. i think you'll see more and more makers will opt out of sending TGUK any cars.
Which they solved by just going out and buying one.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #23
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Thanks, seems like a bit of a beat up against Top Gear.

Ok the brakes might not have failed, but a fuss had blown which mean you had too push the brake pedal down harder. From my point of view if that happens to my car, I would certainly stop racing it around a track as I would be concerned about the brakes

The second car didnt stop due to overheating but it cut the amount of torque due to overheating.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
But the car got a great review by Hammond in that episode.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #25
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Having read the complaint, I hope it gets tossed out - what a bunch of whingers; they're out-pomming the poms!

At the end of the day, what prospective buyer of a AUD$200,000+ car would take notice of Top gear anyway (if they even watch it), so it's not like any damage has been done. I'd really like the "claimant" to have to show REAL damages in cases like this (eg, sales tapered off, and the taper was not due to the GFC).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #26
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Yes they really should get some shooting lessons......

As far as Tesla.

QFT. End topic! :P
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #27
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Tesla need some cement.....
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #28
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

YAWN

Anyone who thinks the show is other than an overrated version of Men Behaving Badly is deluding themselves.

It is entertaining but I doubt that anybody with cognitive capacity above that of the average gerbil would take it as a serious guide to car buying and thus I'm surprised that Tesla would even bother.

Mind you, if it takes their focus off building any more of the ugly things then that could be a good outcome anyway.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #29
sudszy
Banned

I have to admit that when the offerings are next to nil on the other channels that I have gone as low as watching TG.

I realise that it is just a ratings driven program that is aimed squarely at the people that want their adornment of speed and big engined cars legitimised/affirmed. Anything the show can do to make action on climate change, reduce environmental damage is ridiculed as are any measures to control speeding and vehicles that address the issue are similarly displayed on a poor light. ie Clarkson quoting how far the vehicle went during the test compared to Tesla's claimed range(was it a real number or just a lie, how do we know?), do they ever quote the fuel consumption of any car they test when they are doing quarter mile trials?

I did see the episode on the Tesla and even when being aware of the obvious target audience for the show and that there would be obvious bias about it not being a good thing, I didnt think for one moment that they would falsify their findings on the car or stage shots that weren't truthful to the situation.
Would I buy a Tesla after seeing the TG episode, definitely not, it appeared to be an undeveloped piece of junk, that is what will be the defining point when(what the audience understood that they meant)/if the case goes to court.

Arguments that TG is entertainment so it can defame, lie and deceive without consequence? dont know about that. Certainly there are no disclaimers in the credits that say that the results of all the tests and shots were totally ficticious and staged etc.

Does seem strange that Tesla are only going for 100,000 pounds, reckon the show would have killed sales for potentially 1000s of them.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 05:17 AM   #30
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have no problem with Top Gear being scripted. I have no problem with it being more for entertainment value than being primarily for car buyers to research facts. I like the show format the way it is. I do not think it is okay to deliberately lie about results though. Eg, the lap times should be real, etc. I think Top Gear team has screwed up here with the Tesla package, it is a mega money making show, and they have done it at the expense of making someone else look bad. People who talk about $100,000 equalling nothing, seriously have no clue. That might not touch the surface on lost potential sales, which is hard to measure. In this economy, I just do not get how people can trivialize lost sales over a falsely portrayed image. Top Gear wanted to protect its image when Ben Collins wanted to go public about him being The Stig, I agreed with that, but I also agree that Top Gear should not get away with hurting someone else's image or reputation, when it is not based on fact. I think I am being fair. Put yourself in Tesla's shoes. You want to start a big business. You take a big risk, finance the business to develop and manufacturer a new car with new technology, where there are no real competitors, and you get slapped in the face with malicious slander and misrepresentation, after being courteous enough to loan a couple of cars for a "review."
Now I question what else Top Gear has lied about. Prius vs M3, did the Prius really get 17mpg and the M3 get 19mpg? If it is true, then that is ok.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post