Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 18-07-2006, 02:16 AM   #1
nnng_oozie
Bone Stock Fiesta!

Default Heel-Toe???

I took the fez out earlier today for a fast drive in the mooney mooney area heading north via the old pac hwy. Had heaps of fun especially after waiting for so long to get the alignment all fixed up. Anyway as i was driving i suddenly wondered...

Do you guys heel-toe as well?

Last edited by nnng_oozie; 18-07-2006 at 02:45 AM.
nnng_oozie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 03:48 AM   #2
0xyg3n

I haven't heal and toed in ages. But I do left foot brake all the time.
0xyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

heel toe??? not sure what u mean, im not familiar with that term???

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

I heel and toe all the time, it REALLY depends on what shoes you have on, sometimes depending on what shoes u have it can be really rough lol if there chunky ***.

Basically it means as your approaching a corner you brake with your toes on your right foot, you press the clutch with your left foot. and with your right heel you tap the throttle then release the clutch.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #5
goop

If I'm feeling racey I'll play around with heel-toeing, the pedals are spaced pretty well on the fez. Still haven't got the knack of the blip yet, I'm usually either blipping too much or not enough

BTW, Mitch, I don't/can't drive with shoes on. I hate it, can't feel the pedals, anything.
goop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Yeah Goop i agree about the shoes.

I prefer barefoot. But i wear poofy little Asics shoes :P my mates nickname them Ballet shoes hahahaha i prefer to call them Karate shoes ;)

Makes it a bit easier. But still, nothing on having bare naked......feet.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 11:18 AM   #7
FRA
Mr Focus

The missus does but I don't
I brake with my left foot, I find this way alot better and I've been doing this for over 2 years
Watching to many V8 supercars...LOL
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #8
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i cant stand driving barefoot. i need to have my sneakers on, i drive better twith them, sumthing about the feel that i get when changing gears makes me feel like going nuts on the road>!!!!

Old 18-07-2006, 11:31 AM   #9
Danny
GT4.

I always Heel and toe, and throttle blip.

My nickname with my mates is "Danny Downchange". You can always hear me coming hahaha.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 11:38 AM   #10
FRA
Mr Focus

It doesn't worry me about wearing any shoes, but at the moment it's abit cold in the early morning....frozen itsy bitsy toesies....lol
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 12:49 PM   #11
BlackLS

As much as possible I always to the blip, if slowing down slowly I'll take the foot of the brake momentarily to tap the throttle otherwise I'll blip by heel on the break toes on the accel.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #12
blakeyboy

in a manual i always heal and toe... but i got pretty big feet so its normally more of a ball and side of foot. if the box is slick i'll just left foot brake and clutchless shift but not many are.

any time i jump in an auto its left foot braking for the win.
blakeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 01:23 PM   #13
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
Yeah Goop i agree about the shoes.

I prefer barefoot. But i wear poofy little Asics shoes :P my mates nickname them Ballet shoes hahahaha i prefer to call them Karate shoes ;)

Makes it a bit easier. But still, nothing on having bare naked......feet.
Hmmmm i wonder who got you those shoes? Honestly they are very comfortable for that they are, even if u wanna do some round house kicks (chuck Norris Styles)

I loved love to do the heel/toe thingie but need to learn manual first.
Old 18-07-2006, 01:48 PM   #14
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do it when ever im doing some spirited driving. The bad things about the fez are the brake and throttle positions make it harder to heel toe than in other cars and the throttle delay measn you have to blip much earlier, harder and longer than in other cars.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 01:54 PM   #15
nnng_oozie
Bone Stock Fiesta!

really? cos i actually think the pedals are in a relatively good position. but thats prob cos i have small feet, although it would be easier if the brake pedal wouldn't travel as far. Yeah i definately agree with the shoes, i gotta pair of replica adidas goodyear shoes, seriously i feel like an f1 driver when i wear them, they're so flat.

Here's something for anyone unfamiliar with heel-toe:
http://www.modernracer.com/tips/heelandtoeshifting.html
Old 18-07-2006, 03:27 PM   #16
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wasn't there something about the brake being too "stiff"?

I never heel-toe, there's no gears for me to change
Old 18-07-2006, 04:12 PM   #17
photn
AFF Post NAZI

okay blip is what?????? and whats the beneift apart from sum sound and fun?

Old 18-07-2006, 04:19 PM   #18
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
I do it when ever im doing some spirited driving. The bad things about the fez are the brake and throttle positions make it harder to heel toe than in other cars and the throttle delay measn you have to blip much earlier, harder and longer than in other cars.
I think you're wrong Pie,

The pedals are very close making it easy to reach both pedals without making mistakes. I've tried it in other cars with pedals further apart, and it's much more difficult.

BTW a throttle "Blip" is exactly that, You tap the throttle to rev it up so that when you change down a gear, the engine RPM's match when you let the clutch out.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #19
nnng_oozie
Bone Stock Fiesta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
I loved love to do the heel/toe thingie but need to learn manual first.
You surprise me, I always thought your fez was a manual.

Anyone with a manual should give heel-toeing a shot. It really does make a difference, not to mention giving better durability for your clutch.

Some great feedback btw.

Oh the link on my last post also gives info on left foot braking if anyone's interested plus other advanced driving techniques.
http://www.modernracer.com/tips/tips.html

Last edited by nnng_oozie; 18-07-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 18-07-2006, 06:38 PM   #20
Firefox7
T3 Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
okay blip is what?????? and whats the beneift apart from sum sound and fun?

Big benefits...

When your comming into a corner at high speed if you Heal & Toe....and blip the throttle on downshifting, why you do this is for one very simple reason. You Blip the throttle to match the engine revs to the transmission speed to make the gear change smooth and to keep the suspension stable.

If the engine is at a different speed to the transmission when the clutch is re-engaged this can cause the cars suspension to be unstable if your at the limit of traction with your tyres. And when that happens you often have a lose.

I heal and toe all the time even when i'm not racing because it is a fine art to learn, but once you learn how to do it correctly, you are simply going to go much faster with more confidence.

Cheers
Fastest Lap time At wakefield park on Dunlop Sp9000's : 1:14:30, Came 2nd in outright driver, in the overall V8 result, 2006 N.S.W dutton rally :1syellow1

:king: T3 :king: The Mightiest & Deadliest Tickford Ever To Hit The Road........
Firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #21
nnng_oozie
Bone Stock Fiesta!

Thats right, you said it Firefox. I heel-toe all the time as well.
Old 18-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #22
photn
AFF Post NAZI

okies den, i dont heal and toe cause it seems like to much multitasking to do,but ill try and do it ill try and learn, lol

Old 18-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #23
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heal and toe on the race track, but it is usually pointless on the street as the engine isn't revving high enough for the rear wheels to break traction if I don't do so. In order to heel and toe from third back to second on the street, would mean that I was way over the speed limit. I often double clutch when driving in the street.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 09:04 PM   #24
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heel - Toe and Blip (?) and Double Clutching sound technical. What do they all mean? I know about Hell-Toe but not the other two.

I would love to learn manual now, it beats stepping on the brake .. then accelerator with your right foot
Old 19-07-2006, 10:49 AM   #25
Nappa
Impressive...

i heel and toe quite a lot in my fez, but because i have restirced movement in my right leg after breaking it 6 yrs ago i have to do it the other way, i brake with my heel and blip with my toe, it took a bit of practice but now i've got it down and as smooth as the other way.
Old 19-07-2006, 03:17 PM   #26
nnng_oozie
Bone Stock Fiesta!

Thats Crazy!!! i can't even imagine doing that!!!
Old 19-07-2006, 09:09 PM   #27
joshf2
striped

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
I heal and toe on the race track, but it is usually pointless on the street as the engine isn't revving high enough for the rear wheels to break traction if I don't do so. In order to heel and toe from third back to second on the street, would mean that I was way over the speed limit. I often double clutch when driving in the street.
exactly

plus i just find it easier to set up the car in the gear i want before the corner
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 09:47 PM   #28
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshf2
exactly

plus i just find it easier to set up the car in the gear i want before the corner
Makes a lot of sense

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 11:05 PM   #29
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
I think you're wrong Pie,

The pedals are very close making it easy to reach both pedals without making mistakes. I've tried it in other cars with pedals further apart, and it's much more difficult.

BTW a throttle "Blip" is exactly that, You tap the throttle to rev it up so that when you change down a gear, the engine RPM's match when you let the clutch out.
The Blip is nearly impossible in my fiesta. When im pushing it and doing some quick shifts the throttle delay cause by the ETC will delete the throttle blip. I push the accelerator but revs don't move thus you need to shove it harder and longer than in cable throttle cars.

JOSH what if your comming to a corner in 3rd @ 5.5k and you want to be in 2nd to exit, You won't just dump it into 2nd without thinking.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 02:49 AM   #30
nnng_oozie
Bone Stock Fiesta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
what if your comming to a corner in 3rd @ 5.5k and you want to be in 2nd to exit, You won't just dump it into 2nd without thinking.
i don't quite understand that, obviously if ur on 3rd doing 5.5K you'll have to brake a bit to drop the revs and then perform the heel-toe. This allows you go down to second gear practically instantly because you match the engine speed with the transmission speed.