Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Focus ST: Idle issues are these common??

I just wanted to get some feedback from ST owners on the following to determine if these are common. It seems from overseas threads that quite a few owners are experiencing similar problems. Some have been diagnosed as sensor issues and some have had the wiring harness replaced.

I have taken the car to the dealer and they advised me that they could not replicate these issues and have asked me to keep a log when they occur.

These are the issues:

1) Idle increasing to 1100rpm when clutch is engaged? This not happen all the time, therefore to me, it does not seem normal.

2) Idle Hunting: When blipping the throttle, idle drops right down below 500rpm almost stalls and then rises above 1000 rpm and then eventually settles to normal idle.

3) Stalling: When the clutch is engaged as you are about to stop, the car stalls. This is happened about five times all in varying circumstances i.e. when the car is cold and after being driven for an extended period.

Any help would be appreciated as I know of one other FF member that is having similar problems.

Thanks

Mulga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
chrisorm

Default Re: Focus ST: Idle issues are these common??

#1 seems to be on purpose. Goes from something like 7-900 and 0.8l/h to 1200 with 1.2l/h fuel.

I figured it was some sort of antistall/launch assistance of some sort. Happens as you clutch in and foot off the brake for first.

No problems with 2 or 3.
chrisorm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I get #1 all the time, the other ST's I've been in have done the same thing too?

I've not had 2 or 3 though.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The new manual Ford Transits also do number 1, in first and reverse so I'm assuming its a Ford anti-stall thing.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yep i get #1 rest havnt had yet.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
hazrd
Red Rocket...

Yep same. I get #1. Also notice that when sitting still for a while with the clutch pressed in, the revs would normally sit slightly higher (maybe 900ish), then drop (to 750ish) once my foot comes off the clutch (with the shifter in neutral). Happens every time, thus seeming normal to me

The others, havent noticed them either.
Old 31-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, another one with the occasional No1
Old 20-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the check engine light finally come on.....so I'm thinking great, I'll finally get a resolution to the stalling issue. Dealer advised it was the O2 sensor it was replaced and for most of the journey home all seemed good, but just before I got home, pushed in the clutch whilst I was approaching a stop sign and it stalled. Did it another two times before I got home.

From what I've read, the idle hunting/stalling issue seems to be a common problem with the US ST's and the Ford Motor Co have issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) which relates to wiring splice associated with the MAP sensor.

The dealer is investigating this as Ford Aust have not issued a local TSB for this. I've advised the dealer that I'm happy to pay for it. I have booked the car in with the dealer to hopefully rectify the issue under warranty.

From what I've read on the US ST forum, once the TSB was performed the issue was resolved.
Old 28-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Ford dealer completed the TSB associated with the MAF sensor......cost me $116.00 as Ford Australia do not recognise this as an issue as yet. It was not easy as the dealer wanted to argue that performing the TSB may lead to warranty issues.

As expected, no problems as yet and for me this is a small cost given that the car spent just on three weeks at different stages whilst Ford stuffed around trying to replicate the problem.

My advice is do your research and use the overseas forums. Without the knowledge of the overseas TSB, the car would still be with the dealer.

Hopefully I can again start to enjoy driving this great little car.
Old 28-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glad to hear you got it sorted. it is a real shame when a common problem is recognised OS and not here. I have never had the near stallling thing myself, but did replace the rear motor mount after a month or two, another one recognised OS. It has got me beat how that elastic thing wasnt considered worthy of replacing.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #11
aratic

The stalling issues are almost symptomatic of a leaking BOV, but if it is the MAF then I'm sure you don't mind paying $116 to have it fixed.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #12
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aratic View Post
The stalling issues are almost symptomatic of a leaking BOV, but if it is the MAF then I'm sure you don't mind paying $116 to have it fixed.
Interesting you mention this as whilst the dealer was investigating the issue they noted a fault code with the Evap Purge Valve, but checked it and all was fine. I had to push them hard to do the MAF TSB, but so far not problems at all with the stalling or idle. The main thing I have noticed is that the tacho now drops progressively when the clutch is engaged, whereas before it would just free fall.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #13
aratic

Interesting about the EPV... Occasionally the revs in mine drop low to the point where it almost stalls but to date it hasn't stalled on me yet. Something to keep an eye on tho.

Is the sensor you replaced the one on the airbox?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #14
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aratic View Post
Interesting about the EPV... Occasionally the revs in mine drop low to the point where it almost stalls but to date it hasn't stalled on me yet. Something to keep an eye on tho.

Is the sensor you replaced the one on the airbox?
From what you have explained with the revs dropping, that's exactly how mine started, then got progressively worse until it stalled, and the stalling only occurred occasionally.

The O2 sensor the dealer replaced (under warranty) based on what they explained to me is associated with the exhaust system.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

How many kms do you have on your car as it sits?

Mines the same as Aratics, hasnt stalled yet but it gets low in the revs sometimes
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #16
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post

Mines the same as Aratics, hasnt stalled yet but it gets low in the revs sometimes
Has 15,300 on the clock....problems started at around 7,500k's.

It seems that this issue is more common than I expected.
Old 25-03-2014, 08:37 AM   #17
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So two months down since the Overseas TSB was completed and no problems at all with the idle hunting/stalling issue. Anyone that is having a similar problem should push for this to be done. I've written to Ford requesting a refund, but given the issue is not recognised here, we'll see what happens.
Old 28-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #18
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So got a response back from Ford and as expected, they denied my request to refund me the $116.00, claiming that they will not recognise the US TSB. They suggested I request a refund through the dealer.....why would I do that when it is clear that the issue with my car is the same as the OS models, therefore it should be a warranty issue. I've owned many, many Fords over the years and always serviced them through Ford Dealers and I've got to say that this whole issue has been the tipping point for me. The cars I have will be the last Fords for me. I reckon it's cost me about $200.00 in fuel costs alone ferrying the car back and forth to the dealer whilst their useless POS technicians fumble around. I understand that car issues are often difficult to replicate, but in this case I presented them with the fix, but they wanted to argue that it didn't apply in my case......well hello it did and it's fixed. I can safely say these will be my last Ford. I've given Ford the benefit of the doubt on more than one occasion, but not any more.
This user likes this post:
Old 28-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #19
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No excuse for ford but I think they all try hard not to help if the problem is hard to diagnose or involves admitting to a reoccurring issue.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Everyone worried about modifying their new cars and getting knocked back on warranty.

What warranty?

It seems theres many more bad experiences out there with trying to get something fixed under warranty then there are ones where they did a good job, there is always some sort of fight.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2014, 11:35 PM   #21
gassed250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its just like the problem with the engine mounts we all know its there and they have a fix for it in the US but Ford AU ignore it
Old 15-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #22
Kraj
Twin Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulga View Post
From what you have explained with the revs dropping, that's exactly how mine started, then got progressively worse until it stalled, and the stalling only occurred occasionally.

The O2 sensor the dealer replaced (under warranty) based on what they explained to me is associated with the exhaust system.
Interesting you mentioned the exhaust system, I had some idling problems on my 2012 (252hp) focus st, last week I installed a custom cat back exhaust and now it runs like a charm, twice I accidently dropped the cluch, previously it would have stalled, but not now...just takes off.

Last edited by Kraj; 15-05-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Kraj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #23
Kraj
Twin Turbo

Quote:
I just wanted to get some feedback from ST owners on the following to determine if these are common. It seems from overseas threads that quite a few owners are experiencing similar problems. Some have been diagnosed as sensor issues and some have had the wiring harness replaced.

I have taken the car to the dealer and they advised me that they could not replicate these issues and have asked me to keep a log when they occur.

These are the issues:

1) Idle increasing to 1100rpm when clutch is engaged? This not happen all the time, therefore to me, it does not seem normal.

2) Idle Hunting: When blipping the throttle, idle drops right down below 500rpm almost stalls and then rises above 1000 rpm and then eventually settles to normal idle.

3) Stalling: When the clutch is engaged as you are about to stop, the car stalls. This is happened about five times all in varying circumstances i.e. when the car is cold and after being driven for an extended period.

Any help would be appreciated as I know of one other FF member that is having similar problems.

Thanks
No. 1 is normal, its what its supposed to do.
No. 2 kind of normal, mine does it too.
No. 3 not normal.

Mine is currently on 40,000k.
Old 15-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #24
Kraj
Twin Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Everyone worried about modifying their new cars and getting knocked back on warranty.

What warranty?

It seems theres many more bad experiences out there with trying to get something fixed under warranty then there are ones where they did a good job, there is always some sort of fight.
I agree, what warranty, it appears AUSTRALIA does not exist on FORDS MAP! I've already relaced the rear engine mount and put in a Cat back exhaust...best thing I ever did, runs so much BETTER.
Old 25-07-2014, 06:55 PM   #25
black13
born to be mild

Quote:

These are the issues:

Thanks
Had exactly the same problem occur 2 days ago, on the 2nd day it stalled twice when coasting to a stop with the clutch depressed, other times on my way home revs were jumping between 1500 to almost stalling. My st has 30.5k kms & this is the only time its happened so I rang the dealer from where I bought the car and luckily it was seen to today. The problem didn't occur when taking my car there but it did happen to the service person.

They initially carried out a scan tool test & found no codes evident, they then carried out a data logger test & wire wiggle test to reproduce the problem. They cut open the wiring harness & removed splice crimp joins & re soldered the wires... this was from the service report.

The dealer said this was the 2nd st they've seen with this problem. From what I was told ford are aware of this problem as they advised dealer how to fix
black13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #26
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by black13 View Post
Had exactly the same problem occur 2 days ago, on the 2nd day it stalled twice when coasting to a stop with the clutch depressed, other times on my way home revs were jumping between 1500 to almost stalling. My st has 30.5k kms & this is the only time its happened so I rang the dealer from where I bought the car and luckily it was seen to today. The problem didn't occur when taking my car there but it did happen to the service person.

They initially carried out a scan tool test & found no codes evident, they then carried out a data logger test & wire wiggle test to reproduce the problem. They cut open the wiring harness & removed splice crimp joins & re soldered the wires... this was from the service report.

The dealer said this was the 2nd st they've seen with this problem. From what I was told ford are aware of this problem as they advised dealer how to fix
It would be great if you could let me know the dealer as I assume this was covered under warranty.....happy for you to PM me.

I'd like to follow this up with Ford as I had to pay for the repair.

Thanks and appreciate the feedback.
Old 28-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #27
ronnas07

Quote:

These are the issues:

Thanks
Sorry Mulga, i missed this thread. We had issue number 3. Fixed by Central Coast Ford, was told a cable tie was put on too tight from factory. Wiring harness replaced. Happened in peak hour in the ****ing down rain after only a month or two of ownership. Car wouldnt restart and was towed to Ford. Not impressed! No issues with number 1 and 2.

Last edited by ronnas07; 28-07-2014 at 07:46 PM.
ronnas07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #28
ronnas07

Quote:
Originally Posted by black13 View Post

Had the same issue mate (as posted above).
ronnas07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #29
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks to ronnas07 and black13 for the feedback......it seems the stalling issue is more common than Ford are willing to admit.
Old 30-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #30
Samurai_Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post

As does any powershift Focus???
Samurai_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post