Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 26-01-2020, 05:29 PM   #1
timod
Starter Motor

Default Ford Mondeo MC TDCi 2011 - EML error code: P2263

Hi,

The car is Ford Mondeo Hatchback MC TDCi 2011, 2.0 L turbo diesel.

This has been going one quite regularly. Engine Malfunction light comes on, out of sudden during highway speed, normal cruising, or in the city 60kph limit. When the engine malfunction is on, the engine does not accelerate as it should; although cruising is not affected. Turning off the engine for 5 to 10 minutes clear the engine malfunction and the car drives normally. But then, it will happen again the next day or next day or two during normal trip (highway or city). When the EML does not show, scanning does not show any error.

I brought to local mechanic when the Engine Malfunction was still on while driving and the mechanics plugged the scanner while the engine was still on and found:
P2263-85 Turbo/super charge boost system performance signal above allowable limit.

The mechanic check the exhaust hose and any engine oil leak and found nothing. I was advised to replace EGR, although there is no guarantee that will fix the Engine Malfunction. I brought to Ford service (while the car did not show EML) and was told nothing was wrong, and not fix/repair was done.

I read some of the old threads that the possible causes are:
- Boost actuator
- EGR valve stuck open
- MAF or MAP sensors

But no clear indication how to fix (and whether it fixes) the problem.

Can anyone advise? Or, if someone has similar problem, what kind action that fixes the problem.

Thanks.
Tim
timod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2020, 09:35 PM   #2
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Mondeo MC TDCi 2011 - EML error code: P2263

Ideally the components under suspicion should be tested and replaced only if found faulty. However, if you are DIY it sometimes pays to replace a suspected part if it's not too expensive. Boost solenoid valves are around $100.

P2263 refers specifically to turbo performance, so the vacuum operated boost control solenoid would be my first choice in the blind replacement game.

Sometimes these valves make a buzzing noise when the engine is turned off. May or may not indicate faulty performance.
The valve is controlled by pulse width modulation.

While MAF/MAP and EGR faults affect turbo boost, MAF/MAP and EGR each have their own specific fault codes.

A few years ago around 130000km I had P2263:85-27 code on my 2011 diesel. EML and limp mode. Replacing the valve fixed mine.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2020, 10:23 PM   #3
timod
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
A few years ago around 130000km I had P2263:85-27 code on my 2011 diesel. EML and limp mode. Replacing the valve fixed mine.
I'll try DIY if it's not too difficult.
Where did you buy the part?

Searching 'boost solenoid valve ford mondeo diesel' does not return exact match in ebay.

Thank you.
Tim
Old 27-01-2020, 09:50 AM   #4
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Earlier models had two valves, one for EGR one for turbo.
They are identical so could be swapped for diagnosis.
2011 has one only, for turbo.

DIY is simple. Just remove anything in the way and
solve the problem of accessing the lower of the two mounting nuts. I remember this being very awkward.

From my Ford dealer reciept:

Ford FO- 6G9Q 9E882 CA VALVE EXHAUST GAS RE $105 (recirculation probably)

Good luck.

You can get cheap China clone: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32886618008.html
But don't waste your money. Get genuine Pierburg.

Last edited by rondeo; 27-01-2020 at 10:09 AM.
This user likes this post:
Old 27-01-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
timod
Starter Motor

Thank you for the info. That helps a lot.
Old 25-02-2020, 10:01 PM   #6
timod
Starter Motor

Big thanks to rondeo, I can now confirm after few hundreds kms after changing the faulty turbo boost pressure valve part that the
FO- 6G9Q 9E882 CA VALVE EXHAUST GAS
is
the part to replace to fix the Engine Malfunction intermittently showing up (P2263-85 Turbo/super charge boost system performance signal above allowable limit.), and the Ford Mondeo TDCi goes into limp mode.

I bought the part from Ford dealer in Melbourne. Also, the old (faulty) component continuously gives sound like someone is farting. The new component does not. The engine sound in general is also rough when accelerating with the old (faulty) component

The car now drives smoothly, has more power, and there is no more rough engine sound when accelerating. As smooth as when it is new. What a difference!

Thanks to Rondeo!

Quote:
Earlier models had two valves, one for EGR one for turbo.
They are identical so could be swapped for diagnosis.
2011 has one only, for turbo.

DIY is simple. Just remove anything in the way and
solve the problem of accessing the lower of the two mounting nuts. I remember this being very awkward.

From my Ford dealer reciept:

Ford FO- 6G9Q 9E882 CA VALVE EXHAUST GAS RE $105 (recirculation probably)

Good luck.

You can get cheap China clone: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32886618008.html
But don't waste your money. Get genuine Pierburg.
4 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2020, 04:58 AM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the valves on my MB makes that noise when I switch the engine off. I should replace it before it causes any problems.
Old 26-02-2020, 04:58 PM   #8
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Happy to have been of some help!

My Mondeo deisels are fine after over 240 each. I'm aiming for 500 like I did in my Falcon (bring back the Falcon - with 6.0l/100km). BundyBear has done 298 I think he holds the record.

As for buzzing noise, one of mine did it for a year or so before going into limp mode.

Forscan is good, best with bluetooth. Mine is always plugged in. Turns itself off to save power. If there's a problem, check BEFORE switching ignition off...

The old valve might be fixed....
Old 26-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #9
bundybear75

Quote:
Happy to have been of some help!

My Mondeo deisels are fine after over 240 each. I'm aiming for 500 like I did in my Falcon (bring back the Falcon - with 6.0l/100km). BundyBear has done 298 I think he holds the record.

As for buzzing noise, one of mine did it for a year or so before going into limp mode.

Forscan is good, best with bluetooth. Mine is always plugged in. Turns itself off to save power. If there's a problem, check BEFORE switching ignition off...

The old valve might be fixed....
300,000 as of yesterday - about 300,300 now, and will be 300,450 by the time I get home tonight. Big service coming on the weekend....
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: